Georges St. Pierre: 'Chael Sonnen wants to get into Anderson Silva's head and he did it'
"He wants to get into Anderson Silva's head and he did it. That's what he wants, because when you fight with emotion, you don't fight smart. The crowd, they love it. (Silva) he's going to go crazy but he can make a mistake if you do that. It's a big mistake. You have to go back to the reason he's a champion. And the reason he's a champion is because he fights smart, he's skilled. More skilled than the other guys ... He brings the fight where he is the best. He doesn't go crazy. That's what Chael Sonnen wants from him."
Jon Jones releases statement; DWI sentencing delayed
The statement, released through a Binghamton-based law firm representing Jones:
“Mr. Jones wishes to express the following to his fans, friends, and, most of all, his family: By pleading guilty on May 29, Mr. Jones accepted responsibility for his actions,” the statement reads. “This process has been a learning experience for this young man. He is remorseful for his conduct, but thankful for the opportunity to accept responsibility and to grow as a person. This experience has motivated Mr. Jones to achieve his maximum potential both professionally and personally.”
Sentencing for Jones, a Union-Endicott High School graduate, was delayed again at the court appearance Tuesday morning as the Ithaca resident requested more time to complete his court-mandated drug and alcohol evaluation. His sentencing date has been rescheduled to July 31.
Chael Sonnen calls Wanderlei an invalid, Belfort a chicken
It's barely noon on Monday of the biggest week of his professional life, but Chael Sonnen is already clicking on all cylinders.
"Vitor Belfort pulls out of more fights than he agrees to," Sonnen said. "He's fantastic, but he's such a chicken and he's such a liar. To say you're going to fight, to sell tickets, to sign your name, to film the TV show, and then to pull out? Against an invalid? That's insane. It's shocking they're able to say that with a straight face. My opinion of Wanderlei is constantly evolving, because as atrocious as he is skills-wise, he shows up and fights. He goes hard in spite of the lack of talent and gives the fans his best."
"Brazil would have been a good neutral territory," Sonnen said. "Most of those fighters live here. Anderson lives in Beverly Hills, in a two-million-dollar mansion. He left those Brazilians just as soon as Wanderlei and Vitor did. They go back anytime they can reach into those guys' pockets, but the reality is they're Americans, they got rich in America, they pay taxes in America, they got famous in America, they're employed by an American company, those guys are Americans. His plane fight from Beverly Hills to Las Vegas is shorter than my ride from West Linn, Ore. So good for Anderson for getting it moved to his home turf."
Dana White says Wanderlei Silva not retired, 'but he's getting close'
Dana White did say though that Wanderlei Silva will have "the talk" about retirement.
"Wanderlei is a guy, yeah, I want to talk to," said White. "He looked good in that fight. He almost won, and it's not like he got knocked out. And Rich Franklin can crack. He just knocked Chuck out."
"I think Wanderlei is coming to the end. I think he knows that too. There's nothing wrong with that. We all get old, and this is a young man's game. We'll see what happens.
"I'm not saying he needs to retire, but he's getting close."
Report: Gunnar Nelson offered fight at UFC on Fuel TV 5
Multiple sources have told Fighters Only today that the Icelandic prodigy Gunnar Nelson has provisionally accepted an offer to join the ranks of the UFC.
Nelson is 23 years old and a black belt under Renzo Gracie. He has a professional MMA record of 9-0-1. Fans of ADCC grappling will know him from his win over Jeff Monson in the open-weight category last year.
Sources say he has been offered a spot on the UFC Nottingham card taking place on September 29 in Nottingham UK.
Fabio Maldonado vs. Jorgen Kruth added to UFC on Fuel TV 5
A light heavyweight bout has been added to UFC: Nottingham with Brazilian slugger Fabio Maldonado facing Swede Jorgen Kruth.
Kruth was one of the Swedish born fighters originally scheduled to fight on the UFC on Fuel TV 2 card that landed in the country in April, but he suffered an injury that forced him off the card.
The former Muay Thai and kickboxing champion will now face Maldonado in a bout between two very heavy hitters.
Tito Ortiz: ‘I Did Everything I Wanted To Do in the UFC and Mixed Martial Arts’
When Tito Ortiz signed his bout agreement to face Forrest Griffin at UFC 148, he knew it was the last time he’d ever put pen to paper for a fight inside the Octagon.
The embattled former light heavyweight champion literally grew up in the UFC, first fighting there at the age of 22; but 15 years worth of fights, 15 years worth of injuries and 15 years worth of scars have led the man they once called “The Huntington Beach Bad Boy” to call it a career.
Ortiz started talking about retirement a year ago, but now with one fight left on his current deal, it all seemed like the perfect storm for him to go out and have one last great fight in the UFC and then say goodbye.
Charges dropped in UFC octagon girl Arianny Celeste's domestic-violence case
The Las Vegas District Attorney's office has decided not to file charges against UFC octagon girl Arianny Celeste following her arrest for battery domestic violence.
Tess Driver, executive assistant to Las Vegas district attorney Steve Wolfson, today confirmed the news with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).
"After our review of the case, we found that there was insufficient evidence to move forward," Driver said.
Celeste and a male companion, Praveen Chandra, were both arrested in the early hours of May 26 after an altercation at Wynn Las Vegas. Chandra accused Celeste of kicking him in the nose while Celestse indicated that Chandra choked her several times during the evening. The two were booked into the Clark County Detention Center and released on bail.
The district attorney's office also dropped charges on Chandra.
The 26-year-old Celeste, who's also a TV and online host for the UFC, missed most of UFC 146 due to the incident.
NSAC: Nick Diaz's UFC 143 fine officially amounted to $79,500
A full five months since his loss to Carlos Condit in the UFC 143 main event, Nick Diaz is still a point of discussion.
Initially, after Diaz failed a drug test due to marijuana metabolites, the Nevada State Athletic Commission suspended him one year and fined him 30 percent of his fight purse.
But NSAC Executive Director Keith Kizer today confirmed with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) the fine was more than the originally reported $60,000.
Diaz (27-8 MMA, 7-5 UFC) who announced his retirement after the fight, was paid a disclosed flat sum of $200,000 for his interim title fight with Condit (28-5 MMA, 5-1 UFC). He lost the bout, which took place Feb. 4 in Las Vegas, via unanimous decision.
A 30 percent fine on his $200,000 purse would've added up to $60,000. But Kizer said the actual fine was $79,500.
Back door or not, Joey Beltran ready for 'new tricks' in return at UFC on FUEL TV 4
Joey Beltran might not be sure who would play him, but he definitely feels like he's in a movie all of a sudden.
And now, he says, "I've just got to go out and get that storybook ending."
Beltran was cut by the UFC after a January loss to Lavar Johnson. But after just one fight away, he's back – and with the kind of changes he hopes will rejuvenate his career.
After a 1-4 run at heavyweight that included losses to Matt Mitrione, Pat Barry, Stipe Miocic and Johnson, who handed him the first knockout loss of his career, Beltran decided to make the drop to light heavyweight – and the move paid instant dividends, not just physically, but in the quick return to the UFC.
Dana White, UFC 148 and the rematch that almost wasn't: Silva vs. Sonnen II
Skeptics and cynics, beware: If you think Chael Sonnen is just running his mouth with no substance behind it, he might just be telling the truth.
In late April, just days before he boarded a plane with UFC president Dana White for a news conference in Brazil, Sonnen maintained there was no rematch signed between him and middleweight champion Anderson Silva – despite reports he was going to Brazil to help announce the fight.
On Monday, White told MMAjunkie.com Sonnen's stories were legit and added a little more depth and intrigue to what the UFC is saying could be its biggest fight in history, "UFC 148: Silva vs. Sonnen II" – a fight that nearly didn't happen.
"When we did the press conference down in Brazil, Silva hadn't even agreed to fight him," White said. "That fight wasn't happening. I had them bring Anderson to the place where the press conference was, and we sat in a room for three hours fighting about the fight."
UFC middleweight challenger Chael Sonnen advocates forfeiture to stop injury bug
The way injury withdrawals have ravaged the UFC's 2012 schedule, Chael Sonnen vs. Anderson Silva II looks all the more special.
Sonnen, or Chael P. Sonnen – it's hard to differentiate the two these days – said there's no way he would ever withdraw from a fight. And he has a solution for halting others from doing so.
"I think there should be forfeiture," he today told MMAjunkie.com.
Should a fighter withdraw, Sonnen said, he would take a loss on his professional record.
"It's not realistic with the architecture that we have, but we're the only sport where you can just not show up," he said.
"Every event is set. The Super Bowl for 2015. The kickoff time, the venue – it's set. If one team doesn't want to show up, a Super Bowl champion will be crowned that day."
Anderson Silva Unleashed: Full Transcript with Translations from UFC 148 Media Call
As UFC 148 approached, most people expected the same type of pre-fight banter between champion Anderson Silva and challenger Chael Sonnen.
Sonnen would unleash his normal verbal barrage attacking Silva at every turn, attacking him personally, professionally and even taking pot shots at his home country of Brazil, and in turn the champion would scoff at Sonnen’s outrageous statements and wait untl the fight to show what he’s really made of.
Well that all changed this past Monday when Silva turned the tables on Sonnen and changed a routine pre-fight media conference call into the Anderson Silva show complete with threats that ranged from sending Sonnen to the emergency room to the fact that what he’s about to do on July 7 will forever change the way people look at MMA.
Here is the full transcript of the questions and answers with Anderson Silva with exact translations from Portuguese to English as provided by Brazilian reporter Fernando Kallas:
Greg Jackson thinks Cub Swanson can eventually contend with UFC Featherweight Champion Jose Aldo
Before Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Featherweight Champion Jose Aldo made his way to the world's largest fight promotion, he built his name under the World Extreme Cagefighting (WEC) banner. While with the WEC, "Scarface" terrorized nearly every opponent he stepped inside the cage against.
But perhaps none more so than Cub Swanson.
Indeed, Aldo finished seven of his eight fights inside the blue cage, three of which came inside the first round. But it was Swanson who suffered the quickest defeat of all, falling to a flying knee in just eight seconds.
Embarrassing? Of course. Career altering? Not for Cub.
UFC's Edson Barboza says 2012 ESPY nomination is a win for MMA
Edson Baraboza didn't see his recent ESPY nomination as a personal accomplishment so much as he did a win for the sport of MMA.
Barboza's spinning-wheel-kick KO of Terry Etim at UFC 142 recently was nominated as one of the year's top 16 plays as part of the 2012 ESPN ESPY Awards. .
Baraboza said that having an MMA highlight actually rank among those in the NFL, NBA, MLB and worldwide soccer is already a big win for his chosen sport.
Siyar Bahadurzada Injured, Out of UFC 149, Matt Riddle in
Siyar Bahadurzada, who originally replaced an injured Yoshihiro Akiyama, is the latest scratch from July's UFC 149 event.
UFC officials today announced Bahadurzada has been forced to withdraw from the event due to injury, and Matt Riddle (6-3 MMA, 6-3 UFC) now steps in to face Chris Clements (11-4 MMA, 1-0 UFC).
Sonnen reveals source of anger toward Silva
The dislike that top UFC middleweight contender Chael Sonnen feels toward titleholder Anderson Silva did not begin during the months leading to their first battle in August 2010.
It started much earlier.
Sonnen told ESPN.com this week the reason for his hostility toward Silva, and surprisingly, another high-profile Brazilian fighter.
“Anderson Silva and Wanderlei Silva, who have had me p---ed off for years, have gone around and tried to bully people,” Sonnen said. “That stuff doesn’t work with me.
“The buck stops here.”
On 3-0 UFC run, Chan Sung Jung wants shot at featherweight champ Jose Aldo
Maybe Chan Sung Jung just didn't feel like he said it loud enough after his last fight.
So on Friday, "The Korean Zombie" reiterated what he said after his last win: He wants a shot at UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo, and when he gets it, he plans on leaving with the title.
Jung isn't on Twitter much – he's posted just seven messages since his May 15 upset of Dustin Poirier. But it's his last post that is standing up and asking to be noticed.