UFC 156 main card set, McCall vs. Benavidez takes final PPV slot
The main card is set for UFC 156, the newest and upcoming edition of the UFC's annual Super Bowl weekend card.
As previously announced, the event takes place Feb. 2 at Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, and featherweight champion Jose Aldo (21-1 MMA, 3-0 UFC) meets former lightweight titleholder Frankie Edgar (14-3-1 MMA, 9-3-1 UFC) in the championship pay-per-view headliner.
Taking the final slot on the PPV main card is a flyweight bout between Ian McCall (11-3-1 MMA, 0-1-1 UFC) and Joseph Benavidez (16-3 MMA, 3-1 UFC).
The latest UFC 156 card includes:
MAIN CARD (Pay-per-view, 10 p.m. ET)
Jose Aldo vs. Frankie Edgar - for featherweight title
Rashad Evans vs. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira
Alistair Overeem vs. Antonio Silva
Jon Fitch vs. Demian Maia
Joseph Benavidez vs. Ian McCall
PRELIMINARY CARD (FX and Facebook, 7 p.m. ET)
Evan Dunham vs. Gleison Tibau
Bobby Green vs. Jacob Volkmann
Edwin Figueroa vs. Francisco Rivera
Jay Hieron vs. Tyron Woodley
Yves Edwards vs. Isaac Vallie-Flagg
Chico Camus vs. Dustin Kimura
UFC featherweight contender Diego Nunes has left Nova Uniao
UFC featherweight contender Diego Nunes (18-3) has left the Nova Uniao camp in Brazil after (understandably) playing second fiddle to reigning division champion Jose Aldo, according to SporTV. "The Gun" will try to unload on Nik Lentz later this month at UFC on FX 7 in Sao Paulo, but does folding the tent on "The Carny" put him on the fast track to a 145-pound title fight? Or too soon?
Ed Herman feels that Jake Shields tested positive for performance enhancing drug
UFC middleweight, Ed Herman, discusses being on the last Strikeforce card, and his suspicions that Jake Shields tested positive for PEDs.
Saturday night, the bell tolls for Strikeforce, with the doors closing forever after the event. It is a card filled with talented athletes, looking to make their mark in anticipation of being brought over to the UFC. There is also a lone gunman, if you will, a solid test brought over from the UFC to stand in as a late replacement for Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza. That man, Ed "Short Fuse" Herman, stands ready to engage in a duel that presents a great deal of meaning to both men, and will also determine their career paths. I spoke with Ed yesterday, and got his thoughts about Souza, and about the disappointment he feels in the NC fight he had with Jake Shields.
Sean Pierson vs. Rick Story added to UFC 158 in Montreal
The quickly filling UFC 158 fight card has a new welterweight addition: Sean Pierson (13-6 MMA, 3-2 UFC) vs. Rick Story (14-6 MMA, 7-4 UFC).
Officials today announced the bout.
UFC 158 takes place March 16 at Montreal's Bell Centre. The main card airs on pay-per-view following prelims on FX and Facebook.
It's not clear where Pierson vs. Story will be placed on the lineup.
The latest UFC 158 card includes:
Georges St-Pierre vs. Nick Diaz - for welterweight title
Jake Ellenberger vs. Johny Hendricks
Carlos Condit vs. Rory MacDonald
Chris Camozzi vs. Nick Ring
Sean Pierson vs. Rick Story
Jordan Mein vs. Dan Miller
Daron Cruickshank vs. John Makdessi
Patrick Cote vs. Bobby Voelker
Johnny Eduardo vs. Yves Jabouin
NSAC to Overeem: "License Granted"
Today, Alistair Overeem is meeting with the NSAC to apply for his license as an MMA athlete. He will be asked to present evidence that he has been clean during his suspension and will find out if he is to be licensed today. John Morgan from MMAJunkie is on the scene:
-Blasting through a few reservation dates and grant requests, and now it's time for Overeem.
-Jovial start to Overeem's hearing, as he's questioned about the weather in Florida, his new home.
-Overeem: "We've done everything we can to correct the errors that were made."
-Kizer said Overeem sent in five tests between June and November that were all clean. Additionally, he was tested by NSAC on 11/16 and 12/21.
-Alistair said he's been training during his time off and is actually bigger than he was before.
-Alistair said he has a new nutritionist and a better medical team to ensure he's always clean.
-Pat Lundvall asking if Alistair has insight on any lessons NSAC can learn from this situation.
-Overeem suggest NSAC needs to address the difficulty of arranging testing internationally.
-Motion is on the table and approved unanimously. Overeem has his license.
Okami vs Lombard Added to March 3 Japan Show
Japanese middleweight contender Yushin “Thunder” Okami has been added to the Ultimate Fighting Championship® card scheduled for Mar. 3 at the Saitama Super Arena. The UFC® announced that the 31-year-old, from Japan’s renowned Wajutsu Keishukai Gym, will meet former Olympic judo competitor Hector “Lightning” Lombard in middleweight (185 lbs.) action when the organization returns to Japan.
Also announced on the main card will be an intense featherweight bout between Rani Yahya and Mizuto Hirota. Hirota (14-5-1), who has never been knocked out in his career, is a veteran of the Sengoku and DEEP organizations in Asia. Prior to his North America debut in STRIKEFORCE last July, he was 4-1 in his past five fights. Brazilian Yahya (17-7) has won all but two of his fights by way of submission and holds notable wins over Mark Hominick and Eddie Wineland.
Yves Jabouin vs. Johnny Eduardo official for UFC 158
UFC 158 is shaping up nicely as more fights pour in for the Montreal, QC show set for March 16th. Today UFC Canada made the first bantamweight booking of this card official, as Yves Jabouin fights Johnny Eduardo.
Yves 'Tiger' Jabouin @TigerJabouin will be ready to pounce March 16th vs Johnny Eduardo @JohnnyEduardoN for a bantamweight bout at #UFC158
7 Jan 13 ReplyRetweetFavorite
Bellator sues 'betrayed' Eddie Alvarez, fight future in limbo pending lawsuit
When Eddie Alvarez fulfilled the final fight on his Bellator contract last October, he did so in impressive fashion by disposing of Patricky Freire in the very first round via knockout.
The performance only raised the lightweight's stock further, making him a very hot commodity Bellator clearly wanted to keep and one Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) obviously wanted on its roster. UFC president Dana White knew obtaining the talents of the former 155-pound champion wouldn't be easy. As a matter of fact, the brash head honcho of the world's leading mixed martial arts (MMA) organization hinted last week that it would get downright "ugly."
Apparently, White was on to something.
After Zuffa finally made an official contract offer to "The Silent Assassin," Bellator proceeded to match it, leaving the next move up the Lorenzo Fertitta and White, which has yet to be made.