UFC 147 ratings: Early reports peg FX's prelims broadcast at 969,000 viewers
This past weekend's "UFC 147 Prelims" special on FX averaged 969,000 viewers according to early ratings reports, MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) today confirmed with multiple industry sources.
That's down from the 1.3 million viewers who tuned in for May's "UFC 146 Prelims" special.
The two-hour UFC 147 broadcast featured four fights and preceded the night's pay-per-view main card, which aired live from Estadio Jornalista Felipe Drumond in Belo Horizonte, Brazil. Rodrigo Damm defeated fellow "The Ultimate Fighter: Brazil" competitor Anistavio "Gasparzinho" Medeiros via first-round submission in the special's featured broadcast.
Final ratings numbers for the "UFC 147 Prelims" special are expected later this week.
"TUF: Brazil" competitors Francisco "Massaranduba" Drinaldo, Hugo "Wolverine" Viana and Thiago "Bodao" Perpetuo also picked up wins on the "UFC 147 Prelims" special.
Nick Penner Injury Scraps Tom DeBlass from UFC on Fuel TV 4
With his opponent and fellow UFC neophyte Nick Penner injured, it was announced today that New Jersey local Tom DeBlass will not have a replacement opponent for UFC on Fuel TV 4. It was revealed by MMA Fighting earlier today that Penner was forced to pull out of his bout with DeBlass due to an injury. DeBlass later confirmed via a prepared statement on his facebook account that he would not be fighting at all on the July 11 card.
“I regretfully inform all of you that my fight in two weeks for UFC in San Jose is off,” DeBlass said in his statement. “I trained harder then ever and never felt better. My opponent Nick Penner had to pull out of the fight for an injury and the stars just did not align for July 11. I will be fighting again sometime before the end of the year most likely and hopefully closer to home. No one is more disappointed then me, I poured my heart and soul into this camp the last 10 weeks. However, I never go against God’s plans. The lessons I took from this camp are priceless, and when I do return I will be that much better. Thanks to my team and coaches for having my back. God Bless. I WILL be teaching tonight.”
George Roop out, Daniel Pineda meets Antonio Carvalho at UFC 149
Injuries continue to plague the UFC's July return to Canada.
Featherweight George Roop (12-9-1 MMA, 2-5 UFC) has suffered a training injury and has been forced out of his fight against vs. Antonio Carvalho (13-5 MMA, 0-1 UFC). Stepping in for Roop will be Daniel Pineda (17-8 MMA, 2-1 UFC).
UFC officials on Tuesday announced the change for the UFC 149 pay-per-view, which is set for July 21 at Scotiabank Saddledome in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. The card will be the UFC's first visit to the city, which is the third largest in Canada.
After 0-2 run, Pat Schilling says he's been cut by UFC
Featherweight Pat Schilling (5-2 MMA, 0-2 UFC) says he has been released by the UFC.
Schilling was working at Best Buy in the gaming department when he got the call from the UFC to take a short-notice fight with Daniel Pineda (17-8 MMA, 2-1 UFC) at UFC on FX 1 in Nashville, Tenn. Pineda, who also was making his UFC debut on short notice, made relative quick work of Schilling, forcing him to tap just 1:37 into the fight from a rear-naked choke.
Schilling got one more shot in the UFC earlier this month on the season-finale card for "The Ultimate Fighter Live." But against Max Holloway (5-1 MMA, 1-1 UFC), he was outmanned in the standup game and dropped a unanimous decision, losing 30-27 on all three judges' scorecards.
Vitor Belfort Calls Out Michael Bisping, Not Afraid of Jon Jones
Belfort Calls For Bisping Then Title Shot, Criticises Shogun, Not Afraid Of Jones - via SPORTV.COM (translated by Fighters Only)
“I guess Wanderlei will be able to fight in October but I only want that my next bout that accredits me to dispute the belt. I don’t know, maybe Michael Bisping. I was only defeated once recently, by Anderson Silva, and all my wins were very convincing.
“I don’t pick fights. There are people who say ‘If they give me this guy, I would rather be fired’! I was even talking about it with Dana White. How can anybody choose their fight? Obviously some managers force things for their athletes go up in the career but I want to make a fight that interests the public. I already am in the end of my career, so I want to do one more fight and go for the belt,” he said.
“Joe Rogan spoke with me that it makes all sense, unless Hector Lombard wins very well over Tim Boetsch. And Lorenzo Fertitta told me that I would dispute the title if I had beat Wanderlei.”
“I don’t know how long I will stay in this division. I wanted to do more two or three fights. If my body will no longer permit this big weight cutting, I will go up (to 205-lbs). I am not afraid of Jon Jones or somebody else... Its not for me to choose my opponents.”
Urijah Faber: 'I will be Renan Barao's toughest test, he won't be mine' at UFC 149
It wasn't the fight everyone had been looking forward to.
For months, mixed martial arts (MMA) fans had been anxiously awaiting the trilogy rubber match between Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) bantamweights Urijah Faber and Dominick Cruz, who coached opposite each on The Ultimate Fighter (TUF): "Live" on FX.
Unfortunately, that bout didn't come to fruition after Cruz badly injured his knee (having to have both his ACL and MCL repaired through surgery) during training. It was later announced that Faber would take on highly touted Brazilian prodigy Renan Barao for the interim Bantamweight Championship belt at UFC 149 in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, on July 21, 2012.
Faber isn't taking him lightly, based on his past level of competition, but he also feels like he's fought tougher:
I've definitely fought better fighters, but the guy's got the championship mentality. There's no doubt about that. This is gonna be his toughest test, but he's not gonna be my toughest test.
Will Silva vs. Sonnen II Rival UFC 100's Lesnar and GSP One-Two Punch?
“This isn’t one of the biggest sporting events of the summer; it’s one of the biggest sporting events of the year.”
That’s a fairly lofty claim by UFC president Dana White, considering it encompasses the Super Bowl, the NBA Finals, the World Series, and, this year, the Summer Olympics; but it is a claim he made.
The UFC is pulling out all the stops for the UFC 148 rematch between middleweight champion Anderson Silva and challenger Chael Sonnen, who square off July 7 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.
Not only is the UFC promoting it as its top event of the year, they’re also promoting a UFC Fan Expo around it and partnered with the city of Las Vegas for International Fight Week with a plethora of fan events all week long leading up the fight.
The biggest event ever in the promotion’s history to date was UFC 100, where Brock Lesnar defeated Frank Mir and Georges St-Pierre beat Thiago Alves.
UFC 100 reportedly pulled in 1.6 million pay-per-view buys, a live gate over $5 million, and drew just under 11,000 fans to the Mandalay Bay Events Center.
White expects UFC 148 to rival that event.
“There’s no doubt that we plan on doing over a million (PPV) buys here. We expect UFC 100 numbers,” he boldly predicted on Monday.
Michael Bisping Asks If Everyone Else Gets Rematches, Why Not Him?
If losing a fight is the worst feeling in the world, having to make that fateful call to UFC matchmaker Joe Silva to tell him you’re injured and pulling out of a fight might be a close second.
UFC middleweight Michael Bisping had to experience that first hand just a couple of weeks ago when he suffered a knee injury in training and was forced to pull out of his scheduled fight with Tim Boetsch at UFC 149.
Now more than a week after having the necessary knee surgery, Bisping is in as good of spirits as he can maintain after pulling out of a fight, the first time he’s done so in his six year UFC career.
“It was tough, it was really tough. I like to fight frequently and I don’t like to pull out of fights. It was hard,” Bisping told MMAWeekly.com about the decision.
UFC on FX 4's Ricardo Lamas plans recovery from injury, welcomes international fight
A jiu-jitsu session with a 200-pound training partner left UFC on FX 4's Ricardo Lamas (12-2 MMA, 3-0 UFC) with a rib injury that largely prevented him from training three weeks before the event.
While it crossed his mind to withdraw from a fight with Hatsu Hioki (26-5-2 MMA, 2-1 UFC), he ultimately decided against it.
"I was going to stick this out no matter what," Lamas today told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio). "It was too good an opportunity for me. I just figured I would go out there and either come out with my shield or come out on my shield."
As it turned out, he made the right choice. After three rounds of action with the highly touted Japanese fighter, Lamas was ruled the winner by unanimous decision.
Chael Sonnen says UFC 148 meeting with champ Silva the biggest fight of the year
Before he followed Anderson Silva's lead and disappeared from a media call for UFC 148, Chael Sonnen was in full promotion mode.
He got shown up by the man he had claimed to carry for two years in the hype game, but before Silva (31-4 MMA, 14-0 UFC) uncharacteristically threatened him (and then was disconnected from the call), Sonnen (27-11-1 MMA, 6-4 UFC) made a claim that was characteristically as bold as it was doubtful.
"This is the biggest sporting event of the summer, and for a reason," Sonnen said. "I heard somebody else ... say, 'Well, what about the (2012) Olympic games?' I'm scratching my head. I love the Olympic games, but let's be fair – just because somebody has got the Olympics on in the background while their family is eating dinner isn't exactly the same.
Clay Guida unapologetic for strategy against Gray Maynard at UFC on FX 4
An hour after he lost to Gray Maynard on Friday, Clay Guida wasn't going to apologize for his performance.
Guida (29-13 MMA, 9-7 UFC) dropped a split decision to Maynard (11-1-1 MMA, 9-1-1 UFC) in the main event of UFC on FX 4. And though he started the fight as the clear fan favorite, he finished it to a chorus of boos – actual ones at Revel Atlantic City in New Jersey and plenty of the cyber variety from critics online.
Fans said Guida was "running." So did his boss, UFC president Dana White, who also compared Guida's game plan to "Dancing With the Stars." And Maynard? Well, he was so frustrated in the fight that twice he let a pair of double middle fingers fly in Guida's direction.
There may be a fine line in MMA between "running" away from an opponent and simply employing an effective game plan. Guida believes he and his team at Greg Jackson's camp executed the latter.
Ben Rothwell Issues Warning to Heavyweight Division, Talks Travis Browne
"I'll openly say, the winner of this fight (Ben Rothwell vs. Travis Browne) is going to go on and win the heavyweight title," Rothwell told MMAjunkie.com Radio.
"In the shape that I'm in at 265, and some of these guys are fast at 240 (or) 235 pounds, they feel they have an advantage," Rothwell said. "Well, what happens when one of the guys who's 265 who's in just as good of shape if not better than the guys who are 240 and used to being faster? What are they going to do when the guy who's the biggest in the division is faster than them, more conditioned than them, (and) has better technique than them?
"People are going to start crying real soon."
Nick Diaz Wins his Age Group in the Xterra Triathlon
Welterweight MMA fighter Nick Diaz who trains in triathlon’s for MMA, won first place in a triathlon event over the weekend. (in his age group)
Congrats @nickdiaz209 placing 1st in the Xterra terra triathlon today
Nick Diaz is currently serving a one-year suspension for drug use that ends in February 2013.
Anderson Silva Unleashes 2 Years of Pent-Up Anger at Chael Sonnen
Going into today's UFC 148 conference call, I wasn't sure what to expect from Anderson Silva. In fact, I wasn't sure if I should expect Silva to participate in the call at all.
I heard a rumor over the weekend that Silva would not be doing any more public relations work for this fight and, as such, would not be involved in the call today at all.
Instead, what we got was a fired-up Anderson Silva unlike any we've ever seen before.
A few choice quotes from Silva's conference call:
"I'm going to break every bone in his face and all of the teeth in his mouth.
He's a criminal that doesn't even deserve to be in the UFC. I am going to beat his ass out of the UFC. He will never want to fight again once I'm done with him.
What I'm going to do to Chael will change the image of the sport. I'm going to break his arms, his legs and every one of his teeth.
I'm going to beat him the way his parents should have beaten him."
UFC 147 draws 20 Million Viewers in Brazil
The editor of Tatame is reporting that UFC 147 was watched by 20,000,000 people in Brazil. Tatame went on to say that the event drew a record audience for the stadium, beating even the debut of Soccer superstar Ronaldinho in the city. The event received 16,643 people, the top three public events already held in Brazil.
"UFC 147 surpasses Ronaldinho debut in BH. The event hit 17 points (20 million) on Rede Globo"
The return of the UFC to Brazil now has more new record possibilities including:
• Cezar "Mutante" Ferreira vs. Daniel Sarafian
• Rony Jason vs. Rodrigo Damm
• Vitor Belfort vs. ?
• World Featherweight Champion: Jose Aldo vs. TKZ or Erick Koch
• World Heavyweight Champion: JDS vs. Cain Velasquez
UFC on Fox 4: Shogun vs. Vera poster
August 4th will be a five-round light heavyweight battle between two of the best Muay Thai strikers in the game, Brandon Vera and former champion Shogun Rua. Rua is riding the momentum of the fight of the century against Dan Henderson, while Vera is back in the win column and looking to make a statement after being sidelined earlier this year due to injury himself.
Roy Nelson Calls Out Mike Russow, Suggests Loser Drops To 205
After last night's UFC 147, shortly after the over-matched Mike Russow lost to Fabricio Werdum, Nelson took to twitter to make a challenge, and even raised the stakes:
I want Mike Russow and loser goes to 205 or becomes Dana White Rich. Let make it happen @danawhite
I want Russow he eating all my food
Dana White: Wanderlei Silva vs. Vitor Belfort Not Happening For Now
Wanderlei Silva proved once again on Saturday night that win, lose, or draw he is always going to be involved in exciting fights.
Following UFC 147, UFC President Dana White was asked about that very scenario unfolding, and he shot down the idea of Silva getting the fight with Belfort next.
“(Vitor’s next fight) It will not be against Wanderlei, he just lost tonight. When Vitor heels up, we will see what happens and go from there,” White stated when speaking to Fuel TV following the fights.
It appears that if Silva wants to finish off his long time feud with Belfort, he’s going to have to win at least another fight before the UFC will put that match up together.
Fabricio Werdum Expects One More Fight Before Title Shot
Following his first-round knockout of Mike Russow at UFC 147 on Saturday night, Werdum said he was ready to take on heavyweight champion Junior dos Santos -- should the UFC desire. However, if the promotion has other plans, “Vai Cavalo” has no problem fighting again before challenging for the title.
“For sure, I’m close [to a title shot] now. If the UFC asks, then I’m ready for sure,” Werdum told Fox Sports after his win, “but maybe [I will have] one more fight, maybe on the [Cain] Velasquez-dos Santos card. After that, if I win, maybe I will fight [the champion] in Brazil. I don’t know. I’m just here to fight.”
UFC 147 And UFC On FX Bouts Highlight Need For Better Utilization Of The 10 Point Must System
Fedor's retirement bout, ONE FC producing a crazy soccer kick KO, UFC on FX 4 and UFC 147. All of that happened in a span of a few days making it a big weekend for MMA fans. There were several fun bouts, and there were naturally a few head-scratchers during a stretch which had dozens of fights packed in a short time span.
When watching the two back-to-back UFC main events though, there was one prevalent idea that kept sticking out for me -- the need to properly utilize the 10-point must system.
On the UFC on FX 4 headliner, Clay Guida for the most part, pranced around and refused to engage against Gray Maynard.
For the first few rounds, nothing truly significant happened, and no one really 'won' those rounds. Even basing it on the numbers, the difference of strikes landed for both fighters were too close having just 3-5 relatively insignificant strikes separating them for the first three stanzas. Those rounds were as close as you will ever get, making it perfect example of true 10-10 rounds. There were no takedowns, or any grappling whatsoever, so the call should've been easier. Yet for some unknown reason, the judges still felt that they had to give a winner to all of those rounds, eventually leading to a very questionable split decision.