Charles Oliveira Vs. Jonathan Brookins Booked For TUF: Live Finale
Two of the UFC's most promising young featherweights have agreed to face off at the June 1st finale event for the 15th season of The Ultimate Fighter, with UFC.com announcing the addition of Charles Oliveira vs. Jonathan Brookins to the card, earlier this evening
TUF 12 champ Jonathan Brookins will take on submission specialist Charles Oliveira. Brookins looked as good as ever in his last outing, as he knocked out his opponent in the first round. And in Olivera's recent featherweight debut, he took only a few seconds longer to dispatch his opponent to earn a stunning submission win via the rarely-seen calf-crusher.
Sean Pierson vs. Jake Hecht added to UFC on FX 3 in Florida
A welterweight matchup between Sean Pierson (11-6 MMA, 1-2 UFC) and Jake Hecht (11-6 MMA, 1-1 UFC) has been added to UFC on FX 3.
MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) confirmed the bout with sources close to the event after an initial report from Sportsnet "UFC Central" host Joe Ferraro. Pierson subsequently confirmed the bout via Twitter.
UFC on FX 3 takes place June 8 at BankAtlantic Center in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. The event's main card airs live on FX while preliminary-card fights air on FUEL TV.
Pierson vs. Hecht is likely to be part of the prelims.
Mitch Clarke vs. Anton Kuivanen added to UFC 149 in Calgary
A lightweight fight between Mitch Clarke (9-1 MMA, 0-1 UFC) and Anton Kuivanen (16-5 MMA, 0-1 UFC) has been added to this summer's UFC 149 fight card.
UFC officials today announced the matchup.
UFC 149 takes place July 21 at Scotiabank Saddledome in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo headlines against an opponent to be announced.
UFC 149's main card airs on pay-per-view, and FX and Facebook are expected to carry the prelims. Clarke vs. Kuivanen likely will be part of the preliminary card
Frankie Edgar expects late-summer title fight, never seriously considered 145 pounds
Frankie Edgar wasn't even close to dropping to featherweight.
Despite UFC boss Dana White's wish to see Edgar (14-2-1 MMA, 9-2-1 UFC) move down and challenge Jose Aldo for the featherweight strap, the former lightweight champ today told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio) that he was holding out for a rematch with the man who took his belt, Benson Henderson (16-2 MMA, 4-0 UFC).
"I don't think going out on a loss, especially one that close – it's just not my style, I guess you could say," Edgar said.
Edgar lost a unanimous decision to Henderson at UFC 144 in February, but it was the kind of call that had some fans (or maybe just Edgar people) up in arms about MMA scoring.
Of course, "The Answer" thought he won the fight. But he's moving on.
UFC 146's Mark Hunt flattered, but thinks Frank Mir is getting title shot
Mark Hunt is flattered there's a Twitter campaign to get him a title fight with Junior Dos Santos at UFC 146.
To clear things up, he hasn't been asked and is pretty sure he won't get the opportunity. But hey, it's a nice idea.
"Yeah, I don't think I'll get that call," he today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) of the possible vacancy on the May 26 pay-per-view card. "But there's a good rally. I've got about 300 followers now on Twitter, which is pretty cool."
Hunt's name has been bounced around the social-media site – complete with the #RallyForMarkHunt hash tag – since Alistair Overeem failed a pre-fight drug test put a headliner with champ Dos Santos in the lurch. (The Nevada State Athletic Commission wants him to explain why his testosterone-to-epitestosterone ratio came in at 14:1, well over the 6:1 limit allowed. As of yet, Overeem has not contacted the NSAC or commented publicly.)
"The Super Samoan" wasn't necessarily surprised at news that Overeem had been flagged.
"I didn't think it was horsemeat he was eating," Hunt said. "I think Alistair really [expletive] that [expletive] up. Just like (Josh) Barnett when he [expletive] that [expletive] up.
"But they always come back. I'm sure there's a lot of people using stuff to get ahead. It's a cutthroat business."
To aid title quest, UFC 148's Michael Bisping chose Tim Boetsch over Cung Le
When it comes to his immediate fighting future, Michael Bisping has an admittedly one-track mind.
After winning "The Ultimate Fighter 3," picking up a dozen UFC victories over the past six years, and recently falling just short to now-top contender Chael Sonnen in his most recent bout, Bisping is focused on getting a title shot – and little else.
That's why he chose Tim Boetsch instead of Cung Le as his next opponent.
Bisping (22-4 MMA, 12-4 UFC) recently spoke to UFC matchmaker Joe Silva about his next fight, and he got two offers. One was Boetsch (15-4 MMA, 6-3 UFC), who recently staged a shocking comeback to defeat former UFC title challenger Yushin Okami, and the other was Cung Le (7-2 MMA, 0-1 UFC), who fights for the first time since a late-2011 loss to Wanderlei Silva.
"Because Tim Boetsch is coming off a great win over Yushin Okami, it just made more sense and was the more appealing matchup," Bisping today told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio). "It's also a tougher matchup for me, but I want to win that next fight and stake a claim to that title shot.
"I think beating Tim Boetsch rather than Cung Le gives me more grounds to do that."
Bantamweights Edwin Figueroa And Ken Stone Have Agreed To Meet At UFC on FX 4
On Tuesday, Officials with the Ultimate Fighting Championship announced a couple of bouts for the upcoming UFC on FX 4 event in June. The promotion confirmed a previously announced lightweight match between Spencer Fisher vs. Sam Stone and revealed a bantamweight contest between Edwin ‘El Forez’ Figueroa (9-1) vs. Ken Stone (10-3).
According to the announcement Figueroa and Stone have verbally agreed to the June bout.
UFC on FX 4 is expected to take place on June 22, 2012 at the Revel Casino in Atlantic City, New Jersey. Fans can expect the Figueroa vs. Stone bout to appear on the nights prelim card, likely streaming live on Facebook.
Frank Mir Issues Statement Regarding Overeem's Failed Test
Heavyweight contender Frank Mir comments on reports of Alistair Overeem’s failed drug test
Las Vegas, Nev. - With the news today that Alistair Overeem failed his “A” sample pre-fight drug test for UFC 146, heavyweight contender Frank Mir has commented on the rumors swirling regarding the UFC’s next steps regarding UFC 146.
“I would be excited if given the opportunity to compete for the UFC's heavyweight title at UFC 146 if the reports released earlier today regarding Alistair Overeem failing his 'A' sample drug test are true.”
“I have been fortunate to be able to fight in the UFC for more than a decade, and it is a dream of mine to become the first three-time heavyweight champion in the UFC. Being able to fight Junior Dos Santos would put me one step closer to that dream,” Mir added.
Mir’s next fight is scheduled for May 26 at UFC 146 against former heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez.
Mir is 16-5 in his MMA career, with 14 of those wins coming in the UFC. Known for his ability to submit his opponents, power and athletic ability, Mir has only had three fights decided by a decision, all of which he won.
He has won four of his last five fights and seven of his last nine. In his last fight on December 10, he submitted Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira in the first round.
The 32 year-old Las Vegas native trains in his hometown at Xtreme Couture. He began training in martial arts under his father, Frank, Sr.. who was a police officer and Kenpo Karate master. He currently holds black belts in both Kenpo Karate and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.
While attending Bonanza High School in Las Vegas, Mir won a state wrestling title as a senior, starred in football and still holds regional track and field records in discus.
Fans can follow Mir through his web site at www.FrankMir.com or through his Twitter handle @TheFrankMir.
Josh Gross tweeted about this press release. I received the same one, so here it is.
Alistair Overeem fails pre-fight drug test, likely out of UFC 146 title fight
Alistair Overeem (36-11 MMA, 1-0 UFC) us unlikely to fight champion Junior Dos Santos (14-1 MMA, 8-0 UFC) for the UFC heavyweight title this summer at UFC 146.
Nevada State Athletic Commission Executive Director Keith Kizer today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) the No. 1 heavyweight contender failed a pre-fight drug test conducted this past Tuesday following a press conference for UFC 146.
Overeem's "A" sample was flagged for an elevated T/E ratio that exeeded 10-to-1, well over the 6-to-1 limit. Kizer said the heavyweight has the right to request the test's "B" sample, which, if negative, would make him eligible to receive a fight license.
The former Strikeforce champion was among six top-billed fighters who were tested for the all-heavyweight pay-per-view event, which takes place May 26 at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. All were tested for diuretics, masking agents, anabolic steroids and T/E ratios in addition to drugs of abuse.
Dos Santos, Frank Mir, Cain Velasquez, Roy Nelson and Antonio Silva all passed their tests.
Chael Sonnen enlists jiu-jitsu world champion Vinny Magalhaes to help train for Anderson Silva rematch
If you think Vinny Magalhaes is "that guy who got knocked out by Ryan Bader" in The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 8 Finale, then you better ask somebody.
The Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (BJJ) black belt is the winner of five straight, finishing all five of his opponents in the process en route to capturing the M-1 Global Light Heavyweight Championship. And in his spare time, he packed on a few pounds to win the 99 kilogram division of the 2011 Abu Dhabi Combat Club (ADCC) submission grappling world championships by defeating Fabricio Werdum.
Not too shabby.
Those are the kind of credentials that keep you employed, and Magalhaes' next paying gig will take place in Oregon, where he'll lend his grappling expertise to current UFC middleweight number one contender Chael Sonnen, who unfortunately has a long history of tapping to Brazilians.
That includes a heartbreaking loss he suffered to Anderson Silva in the main event of UFC 117 back in 2010, where he brutalized "The Spider" for four-and-a-half rounds prior to getting caught in a fight-ending triangle choke.
Will history repeat itself in their UFC 147 rematch on June 23 in Brazil? Not if Magalhaes, who Renzo Gracie says has the best jiu-jitsu in the heavyweight division, has anything to say about it.
UFC Veteran John Olav Einemo Retires
John Olav Einemo has elected to retire from mixed martial arts after recently being cut from the UFC, the heavyweight told Norwegian news outlet VG Nett on Tuesday.
Einemo fought just twice in the octagon, making his debut at the age of 35 at UFC 131. He lost the match against Dave Herman by TKO, but the bout was awarded the Fight of the Night bonus. He came back at UFC on FOX 2, but was mostly smothered by Mike Russow en route to a unanimous decision loss.
Einemo told the paper that he could have returned to the UFC with a few wins, but decided against trying because it would require spending time away from his family. He said he would continue to stay involved in the sport as a coach and to help the sport grow in his native Norway.
Tom DeBlass replaces injured Jorgen Kruth at UFC on FUEL TV 2
Ring of Combat champion and undefeated UFC newcomer Tom DeBlass (7-0 MMA, 0-0 UFC) has replaced injured light heavyweight Jorgen Kruth (5-0 MMA, 0-0 UFC) and now meets Cyrille Diabate (17-8-1 MMA, 2-2 UFC) at next week's UFC on FUEL TV 2 event.
DeBlass recently announced the change, though officials haven't formally confirmed it.
UFC on FUEL TV 2 takes place April 14 at Ericsson Globe Arena in Stockholm, Sweden.
FUEL TV carries the main card, and Facebook is expected to stream the preliminary card. DeBlass vs. Diabate is slated for the prelims.
Miguel Torres: 'My fighting style would cause Dominick Cruz nightmares
Once the king of the hill in the Bantamweight division, Miguel Torres was an unstoppable force at 135-pounds. During his heyday, Torres ran through all contenders competing in the now defunct World Extreme Cagefighting (WEC) organization.
Torres won and defended his title three times in the midst of his remarkable 17 fight win streak. What's even more impressive? Of those 17 wins, 15 of them were finishes.
Since that remarkable run, Torres has gone an even 3-3 with his most recent win coming over Nick Pace at UFC 139 back on November 19, 2011. However, Torres most recently won an even more important fight, his job back with Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) after an inappropriate Twitter joke was cause for UFC President Dana White to cut the mullet-wearing brawler.
With a second chance to compete in the biggest mixed martial arts (MMA) stage of them all, Torres says he regrets his Twitter postings and looks forward to a new beginning inside the Octagon, starting with Michael McDonald at UFC 145 on April 21, 2012.
And though he knows he has his hands full with "Mayday," who is on a seven fight win streak of his own, that hasn't stopped the former champion from looking into his crystal ball and seeing a future title fight opposite current UFC Bantamweight Champion Dominick Cruz.
Cyrille Diabate Draws Ring Of Combat champ Tom Deblass for UFC On Fuel TV 2 In Sweden
Ring of Combat light heavyweight champion Tom DeBlass is expected to make his Octagon debut against striking specialist Cyrille Diabate at UFC on Fuel TV 2.
DeBlass (Pictured) announced the news on Tuesday, revealing the booking on his Facebook page.
“The plan was to let an injury heal, but this is an opportunity I cannot let pass,” DeBlass wrote. “Thanks everyone, and I'll fight hard. Godspeed!”
Diabate had been slated to face Swedish muay Thai ace Jorgen Kruth, but “The Last Viking” has reportedly suffered an injury and will be unable to compete, according to Swedish outlet MMANytt.se.
Spencer Fisher vs. Sam Stout III added to UFC on FX 4 in Atlantic City
Another trilogy fight is in the works, this one for UFC on FX 4.
Lightweights Sam Stout (17-7-1 MMA, 6-6 UFC) and Spencer Fisher (24-8 MMA, 9-7 UFC) are set for a third fight at the event, which takes place June 22 at Revel Atlantic City in Atlantic City, N.J.
Sportsnet.ca reported the matchup, which MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) later confirmed.
UFC on FX 4's main card airs on FX, and FUEL TV is expected to carry the prelims.
John Alessio returning to octagon, replaces Matt Wiman at UFC 145
John Alessio (34-14 MMA, 0-3 UFC) has finally booked his return to the UFC.
The veteran fighter has replaced injured Matt Wiman (14-6 MMA, 8-4 UFC) and now meets fellow lightweight Mark Bocek (10-4 MMA, 6-4 UFC) later this month at UFC 145.
Bocek today tweeted the news and stated Wiman suffered a knee injury. MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) could not immediately confirm details of the injury.
UFC 145 takes place April 21 at Atlanta's Phillips Arena. The main card airs on pay-per-view, and FX and Facebook carry the prelims.
Wiman vs. Bocek was slated for the PPV portion of the card, though it's not clear if it'll retain its main-card slot with the change.
Nick Diaz Set to Compete in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Super-Fight Next Month
While Nick Diaz's MMA future may still be in doubt, the former Strikeforce welterweight champion has decided to return to his Brazilian jiu-jitsu roots.
The World Jiu-Jitsu Expo and Cesar Gracie, Diaz's trainer and manager, have confirmed that Diaz will compete in a BJJ super-fight at the WJJE on May 12 in Long Beach, Calif.
According to Gracie, Diaz wanted to enter one of the WJJE's tournaments, however, Expo officials chose to have him only compete in a super-fight. No opponent has been signed just yet.
Diaz, a black belt under Gracie, hasn't competed in a BJJ match in two years. Gracie said the UFC, "usually doesn't want (Nick) competing (in BJJ) if it's near a fight, (but) he has no fight lined up."
Brock Lesnar's WWE Return - Video
For some reason that I can't really put into words, I was really liking Lesnar in MMA...and now that he's gone back to the WWE, I lost respect (although I can't raelly say why)... I guess at the end of the day money talks...but this just bothers me
And it makes me think...what can those other wrestlers say to him in the "ring"? Oh so now you're returning from that real life fighting business and think you can stand up to us fakers....lol
Jon Jones Feels Like Rashad Evans Can’t Get Inside His Head
UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones will make his first title defense of 2012 against an ex-teammate and past champion, as “Bones” collides with Rashad Evans in the main event of UFC 145 later this month.
For several months now, Jones and Evans have verbally sparred, as the two have had matches cancelled due to injuries to both men. Now, with their date set for April 21 from Atlanta, the stars appear aligned.
Evans, who missed out on a title chance back in March of 2011, has done all he can to try and get inside the head of Jones, who became the youngster UFC champion ever when he defeated Mauricio “Shogun” Rua in place of Evans. As “Bones” told the London Free Press recently, Evans will not control his thoughts.