Source: Tatsuya Kawajiri signs with UFC, wants on January card in Singapore
Tatsuya Kawajiri, one of the most highly regarded lighter weight fighters in the world, will next compete inside the UFC's octagon.
The Japanese featherweight, who most recently fought for DREAM in December 2012, has signed a deal with the UFC, sources close to the situation told MMAjunkie.com. While no first fight has been set, sources said Kawajiri hopes to make his UFC debut in January in Singapore.
Chad Mendes eyes rematch with Jose Aldo but could see bantamweight move, as well
With four straight knockout wins under his belt, Chad Mendes believes he's just about due for a rematch with UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo. But he could see himself moving to 135 pounds, at some point, as well.
"That's actually something I have considered, and I definitely could," Mendes said when asked at a weekend Q&A event if he'd ever consider a move to bantamweight. "I'm not the biggest 145-pounder. I think I'm probably medium-sized for 145, but I could definitely make 135 if need be. But yeah, I'd like to make another run, hopefully win the belt at 145, defend it a few times and then depending on what my body says, if it allows it, I'd like to go down to 135, too."
Mike Wilkinson off UFC Fight Night 30, UFC seeking replacement for Jimy Hettes
An injury has forced a change to the preliminary card of next week's UFC Fight Night 30 card in England.
England's Mike Wilkinson (8-1 MMA, 1-1 UFC) is out of his featherweight fight against Jimy Hettes (10-1 MMA, 2-1 UFC), a source close to the bout on Friday confirmed to MMAjunkie.com. According to the source, the UFC is actively seeking a replacement for Wilkinson to take the fight with Hettes on only about one week's notice. But with the card taking place next Saturday, and in the United Kingdom, time and a replacement fighter's home base may be factors.
MARIO SPERRY, RENZO GRACIE DEFEND RELEASED UFC FIGHTER ‘TOQUINHO’ PALHARES
Last week, Brazilian Top Team coach and co-founder Murilo Bustamante told Fighters Only that Palhares had injured teammates in similar situations during training in the past. Former BTT coach Mario Sperry this week denied the statement.
“I don’t remember him hurting teammates in an intentional manner,” Sperry told Sherdog.com. “He hurt others and got hurt just like any other athlete. To tell you the truth, I remember seeing him hurt more than hurting others. I think he should have paid more attention to the reaction of his opponent and the referee. He also had several problems with athletes who tapped and continued after he released the submission hold without the referee interrupting. In my view, this can hamper your judgment on when to release the submission even more in the middle of a fight.”
But, even in defending Palhres, Sperry said he understood the position of the UFC and its, president Dana White.
“It’s a difficult position for Dana, as he has to manage the world’s largest MMA event,” said Sperry. “Making a realistic assessment with the events that happened in and after the fight, I’d fire him to show that where there’s excellence, there’s no room for mistakes. However, I would hire him back, because Toquinho is a great fighter for any event.”
Brazilian jiu-jitsu master Renzo Gracie also defended his countryman via Twitter on Monday.
“I just watch the fight and I have to reinforce it... He had no ill intent. His opponent went on the wrong direction,” Gracie wrote. “So, if there’s injury involved, it has more to do with the way his opponent try to get out than his intentions... We are in a fight business. If we will begin a witch hunt, the intensity of our sport will be gone. We are supposed to get hurt.”