Magalhaes 2.0 trades sloppy for bold
Vinny Magalhaes is a world-class grappler. That much was obvious from his run through "The Ultimate Fighter" season 8 cast, where he submitted everyone he faced leading up to the final, including his former training partner at Team Quest, Krzysztof Soszynski.
Yet, while he was super-slick horizontally, he was shackled by his own subpar stand-up. It was a glaring deficiency, and one he simply couldn’t compensate for. We saw it when he was knocked out at the hands of Ryan Bader in the "TUF" finale that season, and again when Eliot Marshall didn’t compromise an inch at UFC 97. The Marshall fight was the shoulder-shrugging moment for the UFC. It served him his walking papers because his game wasn’t whole.
By now, the bulletin is an old one that’s been passed around and snickered over for years: This is MMA, not “The Singular Thing You’re Great At.” Disciplines have to come together in concert; otherwise, what shows up isn’t the medals earned in world submission grappling tournaments. What shows up instead are your world-class deficiencies. The UFC, after all, is made up of cold-blooded exploitists. When Magalhaes left the UFC, he had an overall professional MMA record that was sub-.500. Things needed to change.
So what did he do?
Urijah Faber Wants Either Himself Or Chad Mendes To Fight Frankie Edgar
Weighed 158 yest“@thesensation82: @danawhite edgar v @UrijahFaber for Interim belt? I'm sure the Cali kid wouldn't mind stepping up weight.”
11 Sep 12 ReplyRetweetFavorite
U know I'm in for a good fight, I'm sure @chadmendes wld b eager 4 that fight @danawhite @ufc @MMAInc @mikeMMAinc sucks 4 @josealdojunior
11 Sep 12 ReplyRetweetFavorite
Fabio Maldonado campaigning for UFC 153 fight with Glover Teixeira
f the UFC is looking for volunteers, Brazilian striker Fabio Maldonado (18-5 MMA, 1-2 UFC) is standing with his hand in the air.
The 32-year-old Maldonado said he's ready and willing to face countryman Glover Teixeira (18-2 MMA, 1-0 UFC) in the co-main event of next month's UFC 153 event – a bout that was supposed to feature Quinton "Rampage" Jackson.
Maldonado and his manager, Alex Davis, told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) they're more than willing to step into the fight on four weeks' notice.
"I want this fight," Maldonado told MMAjunkie.com in his native Portuguese. "I know our styles would make for an incredible fight for the fans, and I want this opportunity. I hope the UFC will grant me this one request."
Vladimir Matyushenko injured; Roger Hollett back in to meet Matt Hamill at UFC 152
It's deja vu all over again for Matt Hamill.
In his first fight back after retirement, Hamill (10-4 MMA, 9-4 UFC) now will – once again – face Roger Hollett (13-3 MMA, 0-0 UFC) after Vladimir Matyushenko (26-6 MMA, 7-4 UFC) was forced out of the fight with an injury. UFC officials on Tuesday announced the new booking – a re-booking – saying a torn Achille's tendon will keep Matyushenko out.
UFC 152 takes place Sept. 22 at Air Canada Centre in Toronto with a main card airing on pay-per-view following prelims on FX and Facebook. The Hamill-Matyushenko bout was slated for the main card, and it is expected that Hamill-Hollett will appear there, as well.
Hamill originally was booked to face Hollett, a UFC newcomer, when it was announced this past month that he would return from a short retirement. But just three weeks ago, it was announced that Hollett had been forced off the card and Matyushenko had stepped in on short notice.
But with Matyushenko now hurt, Hollett is back in the mix. It is not clear why Hollett was removed from the fight with Hamill to begin with this past month, though he was not injured.
Quinton 'Rampage' Jackson hurt, forced out of UFC 153 co-main event vs. Glover Teixeira
After all the controversy over Quinton "Rampage" Jackson wanting out of his contract, it turns out he won't fight at UFC 153 after all.
Jackson (32-10 MMA, 7-4 UFC) is injured and out of his co-main event fight against Glover Teixeira (18-2 MMA, 1-0 UFC) next month in Brazil. UFC President Dana White on Tuesday tweeted the news. The nature of his injury was not announced.
It is not yet known if a replacement for Jackson will be sought to step in on just under five weeks' notice, or if Teixeira will be pulled from the card.
UFC 153 takes place Oct. 13 at HSBC Arena in Rio de Janeiro. The pay-per-view features a main event featherweight title fight between Brazilian champion Jose Aldo and former lightweight champ Frankie Edgar.
UFC boss White still keen on Silva vs. St-Pierre, says Silva vs. Jones also possible
If 2012 was the year of the UFC injury, 2013 may very well be the year of the UFC superfight.
UFC President Dana White today told HDNet's "Inside MMA" that not only is an Anderson Silva (32-4 MMA, 15-0 UFC) vs. Georges St-Pierre (22-2 MMA, 16-2 UFC) bout looking more and more likely if "GSP" can defeat Carlos Condit but that Silva vs. Jon Jones (16-1 MMA, 10-1 UFC) could very well happen, too.
UFC Signs Jon Tuck, Faces Tiequan Zhang at UFC
The UFC has added to the list of Asian MMA talent the promotion has been acquiring of late with the recent signing of Jon Tuck. Fighting out of Guam, the undefeated lightweight makes his UFC debut at UFC on Fuel TV 5: Franklin vs. Le, where he will face off with Tiequan Zhang.
Chuck Liddell vs Chael Sonnen? 'Iceman' would have taken the fight that Jon Jones didn't
"I would have taken the fight, but I don't make his decisions or run his career for him. [Lyoto Machida's decision,] that's a different thing. Machida would have got a title fight he was in line for, whereas Chael was taking a title fight he wasn't in line for. If Lyoto was not in shape, I guess I understand. He was beat by Jones last time and he would have wanted time to prepare. It is different from a peak Jones turning down a fight."
Heres a link to the full interview. . . Worth a watch if you've got time.
Tim Boetsch Vs. Chris Weidman Booked For UFC 155
Two middleweight contenders will square off to close out 2012 as it was announced today that Chris Weidman and Tim Boetsch will fight on December 29th at UFC 155.
The bout, which takes place in Las Vegas, could potentially be a number one contender fight as the two have both been making a climb up the middleweight divisions ladder.
Jon Jones Says Chael Sonnen’s Time Will Come
Jon Jones Says Chael Sonnen’s Time Will Come to Answer for His Verbal Attacks
Posted on September 9, 2012 by MMAWeekly.com Staff
UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones took the brunt of the initial criticism when UFC president Dana White cancelled UFC 151 just one week out from its scheduled date.
Jones remained fairly quiet about the situation at first, even though White took him and his coach, Greg Jackson, to task for turning down a last ditch effort to match the champ up with Chael Sonnen on short notice.
When Sonnen went into attack mode – almost immediately – Jones could only sit back and take the unanswered blows for so long before fighting back.
Ross Pearson vs. George Sotiropoulos slated for UFC on FX 6 in Australia
As expected, a lightweight bout between "The Ultimate Fighter: Australia vs. U.K." coaches Ross Pearson (13-6 MMA, 5-3 UFC) and George Sotiropoulos (14-4 MMA, 7-2 UFC) will be part of the newly announced UFC on FX 6 event.
UFC on FX 6 is scheduled for Dec. 15 (and airs live in the U.S. on Dec. 14 due to the time difference) in an Australian city and venue still to be determined.
Event sources confirmed the bout with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).
Pearson and Sotiropoulos will be featured on the night's FX-televised main card with a Hector Lombard vs. Rousimar Palhares middleweight headliner. Finals for the show, also dubbed "TUF: TheSmashes," will be part of the main card, as well. FUEL TV and FX are expected to carry the night's prelims...
Paul Heyman backs Brock Lesnar as UFC Hall of Famer, doubts return to octagon
Whether it's WWE or UFC, Paul Heyman believes Brock Lesnar (5-3 MMA, 4-3 UFC) is a hall of famer. Lesnar's four-year stint in MMA seemingly challenges the UFC Hall of Fame's undefined, intangible standards. It included three consecutive million pay-per-view buy rates (UFC 100, UFC 116 and UFC 121) with half of his eight career bouts having a UFC title at stake. It helped define the first UFC heavyweight to carry the "baddest man on the planet" moniker – one adopted from a post-Mike Tyson boxing era. Can a fighter be a hall of famer with fewer than 10 career outings? With a UFC record that's one loss short of the .500 mark?
I'm of two minds about this. I'm not Brock fan, but like Mask (another HOFer) he brought a lot of fans to the sport, quality fans or not, MMA needed all the exposure it could get.
He also had fuck all fights (though VS top quality opponents), and barely scraped by with an above average record.
What do you guys think?
Ivan Menjivar vs. Azamat Gashimov added to UFC 154 in Montreal
November's UFC 154 event has a new bantamweight bout with a Canadian fighter.
Montreal-based Ivan Menjivar (24-9 MMA, 3-2 UFC) will fight close to his new home when the Canadian-Salvadoran competitor meets UFC newcomer Azamat Gashimov (7-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC) at the fall show.
UFC officials announced the fight late Friday night.
Jon Jones on Vitor Belfort: "I've already fought more tougher opponents than he has."
When Jon Jones steps inside the cage in Toronto on Sept. 22, he'll be staring across at a walking breathing MMA relic. Though only 35-years old, Vitor Belfort began fighting at roughly the same time as retired MMA legend Randy Couture.
In fact, the now 49-year old Couture handed the then 20-year old fresh-faced Belfort his first MMA loss and the two famously battled twice more with Couture taking two of three against the young Brazilian.
Belfort battled old school legends in their prime -- guys like Couture, Tank Abbott, Chuck Liddell, Wanderlei Silva, Kazushi Sakuraba, Chuck Liddell, Tito Ortiz, Alistair Overeem and Dan Henderson.
Since rededicating himself to the sport after testing positive for steroids following a decision loss to Henderson at Pride 32 in 2006, Belfort is 7-1 and has faced notables Terry Martin, Matt Lindland, Rich Franklin, Anderson Silva, Yoshihiro Akiyama and Anthony Johnson.
UFC Hall of Famer Tito Ortiz says Jon Jones is mentally weak
Tito Ortiz said Jon Jones essentially threw him under the bus in a recent interview.
"I looked at it as he's just a weak guy," Ortiz told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "There's a lot of minds stronger than that. It shows how he can just fold.
"Mentally, if he gets pressed and pressed during interviews, and all of a sudden he just totally turns himself around, you can't be like that, man."
Jones told MMAFighting.com that he was hurt when UFC President Dana White compared him to Ortiz when discussing the circumstances surrounding the cancellation of UFC 151, which came after he turned down a short-notice fight with Chael Sonnen and the promotion elected to scrap the entire card.
That disappointed Ortiz, who said he stood up for the light-heavyweight champ when fans trashed him for turning down the fight.
"You can't be like that," he said. "You've got to stand for the things you believe in."
John Makdessi vs. Sam Stout added to UFC 154
Canadian lightweights Sam Stout (19-7-1 MMA, 7-6 UFC) and John Makdessi (9-2 MMA, 2-2 UFC) will square off at UFC 154.
The Canadian Press today brought word of the impending matchup, and MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) confirmed it with officials.
UFC 154 takes place Nov. 17 at Bell Centre in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. The event's main card airs live on pay-per-view while preliminary-card fights air on FX.
UFC on FUEL TV 5's Kruth retires, Maldonado gets Diabate at UFC 154
Fabio Maldonado (18-5 MMA, 1-2 UFC) can cancel his ticket to England. Instead, it's off to Canada.
MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has learned that after his UFC on FX 5 opponent Jorgen Kruth (5-0 MMA, 0-0 UFC) abruptly retired, Maldonado has instead been called on to fight Cyrille Diabate (18-8-1 MMA, 3-2 UFC) at UFC 154, which.
Verbal agreements are in place for the new matchup, but bout agreements have yet to be distributed. UFC officials have yet to make an announcement regarding the switch or Kruth's retirement.
Rousimar Palhares Vs. Hector Lombard Booked In Australia On December 14th
UFC president Dana White hasn't been on twitter much lately, but he popped back up with a doozy of a tweet today. It had been rumored for a little while now that UFC on FX 6 was going to take place outside of North America. That has turned out to be true - the show will go down in Australia on December 14th. And the first fight announced for the card is pretty good.