Ring-Philippou shifts to UFC 154 main card, Diabate-Griggs to prelims
Rising middleweight contenders Constantinos Philippou and Nick Ring will compete on UFC 154's main card after all.
The fighters have taken a spot previously reserved for light heavyweights Chad Griggs and Cyrille Diabate, who have been moved to the preliminary card.
UFC officials recently made the change to the card, which takes place Nov. 17 at Montreal's Bell Centre. Welterweight champ Georges St-Pierre and interim titleholder Carlos Condit meet in the pay-per-view headliner.
Cung Le Not Retiring After Rich Franklin Fight
Cung Le (8-2) knows that his time in MMA is starting to tick away, but that doesn't mean the undefeated kickboxer is planning to retire after his next fight. Le recently revealed that he has several fights left on his UFC contract.
"This isn't the last fight on my contract," said Le on The MMA Hour. "I actually have a six fight deal, so after this fight it will be my half way mark. I'm taking it one fight at a time, and not looking too far ahead, right now. The crosshairs are on Rich Franklin, and nothing else."
With three fights left on his contract, Le knows age is not a friend of the sport and his career can only continue for so long.
"I'm 40 years old," said Le. "I know I won't be fighting until I'm 50, but I do know that I've got a couple more good fights left in me. I really try not to think too far ahead. For me, it always revolves around my current fight."
Randy Couture Says Chael Sonnen’s Wrestling Will Stop Jon Jones
"I think Chael has a great opportunity to win this fight, actually," said Couture on MMA Uncensored.
"Technically, I see a similar style fight as Anderson Silva," said Couture. "If he wades through it and can make Jon Jones wrestle him, I think he can win that. I think he can do it, but he needs to make it a wrestling match, start to finish."
"This is a business, and Chael Sonnen is gonna bring it and hype up any single fight he's in," said Couture. "I think Jon Jones, in denying him the fight on eight days notice, made it inevitable that they were gonna have to fight at some point."
Pat Barry vs. Shane Del Rosario official for December's TUF 16 Finale in Las Vegas
A reported fight between heavyweights Pat Barry (7-5 MMA, 4-5 UFC) and Shane Del Rosario (11-1 MMA, 0-1 UFC) now is official for December.
Barry and Del Rosario will meet on the main card of the TUF 16 Finale. UFC officials recently announced the fight, which MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) first reported.
The Ultimate Fighter 16 Finale takes place Dec. 15 at The Joint at Hard Rock Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas with a main event between "TUF 16" coaches Shane Carwin (12-2 MMA, 4-2 UFC) and Roy Nelson (17-7 MMA, 4-3 UFC).
David Mitchell-Hyun Gyu Lim Completes 10-Fight UFC on Fuel TV 6 Bill in Macau
Welterweights David Mitchell and Hyun Gyu Lim will square off at UFC on Fuel TV 6, completing the event’s 10-fight bill.
Lim was initially expected to face unbeaten Marcelo Guimaraes at the event before Guimares was forced to withdraw due to injury. UFC on Fuel TV 6 is headlined by a middleweight showdown pitting former UFC champion Rich Franklin against ex- Strikeforce king Cung Le and takes place Nov. 10 at CotaiArena in Cotai, Macau. The show’s preliminary draw streams live on Facebook, while the main card broadcast follows on Fuel TV.
Yves Edwards vs. John Cholish Added To UFC On Fox 5
UFC officials have confirmed a lightweight contest for December, as Yves Edwards and John Cholish will collide. The two will be part of the prelims for UFC On Fox: Henderson Vs. Diaz.
The card goes down December 8 from the KeyArena in Seattle. UFC lightweight champion Benson Henderson defends his title against Nate Diaz in the main event.
Edwards (41-18-1) will be looking to bounce back from a loss to Tony Ferguson. Also, he was scheduled to meet Jeremy Stephens earlier this month, but Stephens was arrested just hours before the contest.
Cholish (8-2) was dealt his first UFC defeat at the hands of Danny Castillo this past May. He had won eight consecutive fights prior, including his UFC debut over Mitch Clarke.
Vitor Belfort Denies Rumor Of Michael Bisping Fight
Vitor Belfort is planning to return to the middleweight division after a loss to UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones. However, "The Phenom" has not signed to face Michael Bisping, despite reports stating the bout was in the works.
"I did not sign anything yet that's what came out on the internet," Belfort posted on Twitter. "I will fight with Bisping (if offered). Still have not decided on my next fight. It's all rumor."
Vitor Belfort vs. Michael Bisping scheduled for UFC 156
Another blockbuster bout has been scheduled for UFC 156 according to UFC officials, this one between top middleweight contenders Michael Bisping and Vitor Belfort.
The event is set for Jan. 19 in an, as of yet, undetermined Brazilian city. Cities currently being considered to play host, however, so far include; São Paulo, Porto Alegre and Florianópolis, and Rio de Janeiro.
The card already features a much-anticipated featherweight clash between UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo and former UFC lightweight champion Frankie Edgar.
Bisping (23-4) comes into the bout with an impressive 5-1 record in his last six fights. During the streak, he's has collected victories over Dan Miller, Yoshihiro Akiyama, Jorge Rivera, Jason Miller and Brian Stann.
UFC 154: Stephen Thompson pulled from card with knee injury
Yes, we have another injury to report. The preliminary card of UFC 154 has taken a hit as Stephen Thompson has been forced out of his fight with Besam Yousef with a knee injury. MMA Fighting's Ariel Helwani has the story:
Welterweight prospect Stephen "Wonderboy" Thompson has pulled out of his UFC 154 fight against Besam Yousef due to an injured knee, MMAFighting.com confirmed with sources close to the fight. Thompson recently suffered a torn meniscus in training. He will undergo surgery on Monday and is expected to be out of action for eight weeks.
Streaking lightweight T.J. Grant signs new four-fight deal with UFC
Riding a three-fight win streak since dropping to lightweight, T.J. Grant has a new deal with the UFC.
The Canadian fighter has re-upped with the UFC for four more fights. Grant announced the news on his Facebook and Twitter accounts.
Grant (19-5 MMA, 6-3 UFC) is coming off a "Fight of the Night" decision win over Evan Dunham at UFC 152 this past month.
Next step in UFC expansion: Market-specific live events
When Rony Mariano Bezerra came to the cage on Oct. 13 at the show in Rio de Janeiro for one of the Fuel prelims to face Ameican Sam Sicilia, the crowd of 16,844 at the HSBC Arena erupted like the main event with Anderson Silva was about to happen.
For most Americans watching, it suddenly felt like we were in another dimension. Rony Jason, as he was called because he usually enters the ring wearing a Jason mask from the 'Friday the 13th' movie series, would barely be known in the United States. He had appeared on a pay-per-view once before from Brazil. And a few fans may have seen him as one of the stars of the first season of The Ultimate Fighter in Brazil.
But Brazil is a different world, and about 12 million people weekly were watching the show. To them, Rony Jason, who won that night - and fighters like Erick Silva, who wasn't even on the show but has had explosive first-round finishes on major UFC events - were like Chuck Liddell, Randy Couture and Forrest Griffin in the United States going back seven years. Perhaps even multiplied due to greater exposure.
Quinton 'Rampage' Jackson Turned Down 'TUF 17' Coaching Spot Opposite Sonnen
Quinton "Rampage" Jackson could have been the next coach of "The Ultimate Fighter."
According to both Jackson and UFC president Dana White, the organization offered "Rampage" an opportunity to be a coach opposite Chael Sonnen on TUF 17 before asking Jon Jones. Interestingly enough though, Jackson turned down the opportunity.
"Forget TUF," Jackson told MMAFighting.com on Thursday. "I'm not interested in that."
"I don't want to fight Chael. He's the kind of fighter that I don't want to fight. He's a boring fighter that just wants to hump people."
Antonio Silva: Even if he was 'created in a lab,' I want to fight Alistair Overeem
While it appears former Strikeforce heavyweight champion Alistair Overeem could be in line for a UFC title shot, it doesn't seem the "Demolition Man" is necessarily willing to wait for such a fight.
So if Overeem is intent in returning as soon as his suspension ends in late December, he's got a willing opponent: Antonio Silva.
"Bigfoot," who is coming off a recent win over Travis Browne, said he's more than happy to take on the massive Overeem, even if he was "created in a lab."
Mixed Martial Arts - Rousey to spearhead UFC female league
The burgeoning superstar remains under contract to Strikeforce, but Rousey's performance in 2012 has convinced UFC president Dana White to add a women's division to the sport's flagship brand.
Rousey still has three fights on her Strikeforce contract, White told Yahoo! Sports on Tuesday, and will fulfil that deal before she moves to the UFC. Sports Illustrated first reported Tuesday that the UFC would add women.
Kyle Noke out at UFC on FX 6, Seth Baczynski awaits new foe
Injury has forced Aussie favorite Kyle Noke out of a planned UFC on FX 6 matchup with Seth Baczynski.
UFC officials today announced the withdrawal, and "The Polish Pistola" now awaits a new opponent.
UFC on FX 6 takes place Saturday, Dec. 15, at Gold Coast Convention and Exhibition Centre in Broadbeach, Gold Coast, Australia. The event's main card airs live on FX (on Friday, Dec. 14, in the U.S. due to the time difference) following prelims on FUEL TV.
Sean Sherk discusses his health, UFC return, Ben Henderson vs. Nate Diaz, and much more
It's been over two years since former UFC Lightweight Champion Sean Sherk has stepped inside the Octagon, but "The Muscle Shark" hasn't gone anywhere. Sherk's battled a series of nagging injuries during that time, but he's continued training, hosted seminars, and has gotten himself into the equipment business with his Elevation Training Mask (available at TrainingMask.com).
All the while, he's continued planning his return to action, and isn't near ready to walk away from a sport he's been involved with for the last 13 years. I caught up with Sherk last weekend in Maplewood, Minn., where he was a guest for an event from local Minnesota promotion Cage Fighting Xtreme, and he discussed a number of topics, including his health, returning to action, the UFC's lightweight division, the upcoming Championship bout between Ben Henderson and Nate Diaz, and more. Here's what Sherk had to say:
David Mitchell vs. Hyun Gyu Lim completes UFC on FUEL TV 6 lineup in Macau
A welterweight bout between David Mitchell (11-2 MMA, 0-2 UFC) and Hyun Gyu Lim (10-3-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC) is the final addition to next month's UFC on FUEL TV 6 event in Macau.
Mitchell recently replaced injured Marcelo Guimaraes (8-0-1 MMA, 1-0 UFC).
With the addition of the event-opening bout, UFC on FUEL TV 6 now features 10 total fights, including a Rich Franklin vs. Cung Le middleweight headliner.
Report: Jose Aldo Vs. Frankie Edgar Targeted For UFC 156 In Brazil
On October 13, 2012, we saw one of the greatest fighters on the planet completely destroy Stephan Bonnar in the headline fight at UFC 153. Though that fight in itself was a nice little treat for fight fans, it was a result of a super fight falling through, a bout that was supposed to feature Jose Aldo defending his featherweight crown against Frankie Edgar.
Now, as reported by Brazilian website clicrbs, that matchup is being sought out yet again by the UFC, and it is likely for UFC 156 in Brazil.
Details on the event have yet to emerge, but it is expected to be a major Brazilian show in a high-profile city. The event is likely to occur in January of 2013. So far, Aldo vs. Edgar has been the only bout rumored for the card, but seeing how great recent Brazilian cards have been, I'd expect it to fill out quickly.