Clay Guida: Don't be surprised to see me knockout Gray Maynard at UFC on FX 4
Like they say in the commercials for the New York Lotto: Hey, you never know.
Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) has asked two of its best lightweight wrestlers, Gray Maynard vs. Clay Guida, to headline its upcoming UFC on FX 4 event scheduled for the Revel Hotel and Casino in Atlantic City, New Jersey on June 22, 2012.
And with 17 decision wins between them, a knockout or technical knockout (TKO) finish would probably come as a surprise to most mixed martial arts (MMA) fans.
It wouldn't surprise Guida, however, as he tells Low Kick that he's "fixed the holes in his wrestling game," which suggests this fight could play out on its feet. Where does that leave "The Carpenter" if he pulls it off?
Tito Ortiz: Jon Jones will be the one to break my UFC record
Records are meant to be broken.
Former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Light Heavyweight Champion Tito Ortiz, who defended his 205-pound strap five straight times, understands that. In fact, he'd "love" to see reigning division champion Jon Jones be the fighter to do it.
Assuming Jones can stay out of trouble long enough to get it done.
"Bones," who's currently performing damage control after getting busted for driving while intoxicated (DWI) last month in Binghamton, NY, has successfully repelled three straight challengers. Two more ties the record, three more breaks it.
UFC ready to hold an event in mainland China later this year
Back in the lead-up to the first ever UFC on Fox event, UFC President Dana White boldly claimed that Ultimate Fighting Championship would be headed to China sometime in 2012.
Apparently that plan, unlike so many of the UFC's recent fights, is still right on schedule.
UFC President Dana White confirmed with MMA Weekly that the world's largest mixed martial arts (MMA) promotion will still be holding a show in the world's most populous country in 2012.
Forrest Griffin will ‘retire from life’ if he loses to Tito Ortiz at UFC 148
Retire from the sport? Pffft, I'll do you one better and retire from life.
Former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Light Heavyweight Champion Tito Ortiz has gone on record saying that win, lose or draw, he will retire after his trilogy fight against Forrest Griffin at UFC 148 on July 7, 2012.
After splitting their first two encounters, Tito and Forrest will collide in "Sin City" to see who walks away the winner of their series and Ortiz, for one, would love nothing more than to ride off into the sunset with a victory, to go along with his UFC Hall of Fame induction, which will take place prior to the event.
Not one to be outdone, the always quirky and entertaining Griffin says that should he lose to "The People's Champ" over the Fourth of July weekend, he won't walk away from the sport, but will retire from life altogether.
Sonnen's Head Coach Hospitalized After Minor Stroke/Seizure At Gym
Chael Sonnen’s main coach Scott McQuarry has been hospitalised following a minor stroke at his Team Quest facility late last night.
McQuarry suffered a “minor stroke or seizure” and was taken to the intensive care unit of the local hospital, according to Team Quest Tualatin.
“Scott had a minor stroke or seizure tonight at the gym, he's in ICU resting right now, should know more tomorrow, but as we know Scott if one bad mofo so we expect a full recovery. But we're keeping him and his family in our thoughts and prayers,” a post on the facility’s official Facebook page read.
McQuarry only took over as Sonnen’s head coach in fairly recent times, with his influence first showing in the Brian Stann fight. In that fight Sonnen showed a more aggressive attitude towards submission-hunting and he finished with an arm-triangle win.
Brock Lesnar Creating Tension Between The UFC And WWE
Former UFC Heavyweight champ Brock Lesnar continues to be at the center of a he-said-he-said drama between the UFC and the WWE. Lesnar, who retired from MMA following his UFC 141 loss to Alistair Overeem on December 30, 2011 in Las Vegas, then returned to the WWE where he has had very mixed success.
Lesnar's return appearance on RAW drew banner ratings but his PPV debut was a bit of a bust and he had to "take a loss" against John Cena. Lesnar then showed up at UFC 146 and had a high profile, if supposedly unproductive meeting with UFC brass Dana White and Lorenzo Fertitta. Since then Lesnar has been written off the WWE programming and his expected return match against Triple H at SummerSlam is up in the air.
Dos Santos Coach Says Cain Velazquez Has Broken Hand, Rematch Will Be in November Or December
At the UFC on FX 3 press conference, UFC president Dana White stated that the UFC heavyweight title rematch between Junior dos Santos and Cain Velasquez would likely take place at UFC 152 on September 22nd. According to JDS coach Yuri Carlton though, that isn't going to happen. In an interview with Tatame (translated by Fighters Only), the coach pointed out that neither fighter would be ready by then, especially since Velasquez has a broken hand:
Report: The Ultimate Fighter abandoning live format this fall
It appears that "The Ultimate Fighter Live" will drop a key word in its title when it returns in the fall.
According to a report at Yahoo! Sports, the UFC's reality series on the FX cable network will abandon the live format it experimented with this past spring in favor of a return to taped weekly shows for the next season.
Though the show will remain in its Friday night time slot, UFC president Dana White told the site that could change in 2013 if ratingsnumbersdon'tpan out in thefall.
Marcelo Guimaraes vs. Dan Stittgen in the works for UFC on FUEL TV 4
A welterweight matchup between Dan Stittgen (7-2 MMA, 0-1 UFC) and UFC newcomer Marcelo Guimaraes (7-0-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC) is in the works for July's UFC on FUEL TV 4 event.
MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) learned from sources close to the event that both fighters have agreed to the matchup, and contracts are expected to be finalized shortly.
Featuring a key middleweight matchup between Mark Munoz and Chris Weidman, UFC on FUEL TV 4 takes place July 11 at HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif. The night's main card airs on FUEL TV, and preliminary bouts are expected to stream on Facebook.
UFC officials have yet to confirm the Guimares vs. Stittgen matchup, but it's expected to take place on the evening's preliminary card.
Manager: Shogun Rua Taking High Road Following Dana White Revelation
Mauricio "Shogun" Rua and his team are done talking about UFC 149 and Glover Teixeira.
Less than a week after UFC president Dana White said on the UFC on FX 3 post-fight show that Rua told him he would rather be cut from the UFC rather than fight Teixeira at UFC 149, his manager Julio Heller told MMAFighting.com that they would have no further comment on the situation...
At 45 years old, Renzo Gracie preparing for second UFC appearance
The octagon may soon once again boast a Gracie.
Inactive since an April 2010 loss to Matt Hughes at UFC 112, Renzo Gracie (13-7-1 MMA, 0-1 UFC) is preparing for a second fight in the UFC.
"I'm getting ready to fight again," Gracie told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) in his native Portuguese. "I have a six-fight contract with no predetermined time frame. I still have five fights to go, so I plan to jump back into it."
Gracie, a former PRIDE and IFL fighter, entered the UFC in 2010 with a three-fight win streak, though he hadn't fought since his February 2007 disqualification win over Frank Shamrock at "EliteXC: Destiny." Prior to the win streak, which also included wins over Pat Miletich and Carlos Newton, the MMA and Brazilian jiu-jitsu pioneer had lost six of seven fights.
Frank Shamrock: 'UFC Hall of Fame is not credible unless I’m in it'
The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Hall of Fame was created to honor past mixed martial arts (MMA) legends and their contributions to the fastest growing sport in the world.
Fighters such as Mark Coleman, Randy Couture, Chuck Liddell, Matt Hughes, Royce Gracie, Dan Severn and Ken Shamrock are past UFC competitors enshrined in the promotion's Hall of Fame. These fortune sons, among few others, have put their time inside the Octagon and have had an impact in helping MMA become the sport it is today, while assisting the UFC emerge is the clear-cut worldwide leader.
In a rare move, TapouT founder Charles "Mask" Lewis was inducted after his passing in 2009, earning his place amongst the aforementioned legends because of his impact his clothing brand had on the sport and its rabid fans.
With no set criteria, many have questioned the exact requirements that one must meet to be inducted into the UFC Hall of Fame. Frank Shamrock, who was the UFC's first-ever Light Heavyweight champion, seems to think that that Hall of Fame has no credibility whatsoever.
Why? Because he's not in it.
UFC On FX 3 Salaries And Medical Suspensions
The Florida State Boxing Commission (they look after MMA in the state too) released the salary figures and medical suspensions from last Friday's UFC on FX 3, and there's not much to note. No one many really big money, and almost no one got really hurt. Mike Pyle led the way salary-wise with $66,000, followed up by Demetrious Johnson and Mike Pierce with $40,000 each. On the injury side of things, Matt Grice is out indefinitely with a possible foot fracture, but everyone else got 60 days or less.
Demetrious Johnson: $40,000 (includes $20,000 win bonus)
Ian McCall: $9,000
Erick Silva: $16,000 ($8,000 win bonus)
Charlie Brenneman: $18,000
Mike Pyle: $66,000 ($33,000 win bonus)
Josh Neer: $14,000
Eddie Wineland: $20,000 ($10,000 win bonus)
Scott Jorgensen: $20,500
Mike Pierce: $40,000 ($20,000 win bonus)
Carlos Eduardo Rocha: $8,000
Seth Baczynski: $20,000 ($10,000 win bonus)
Lance Benoist: $8,000
Matt Grice: $12,000 ($6,000 win bonus)
Leonard Garcia: $20,000
Dustin Pague: $16,000 ($8,000 win bonus)
Jared Papazian: $6,000
Tim Means: $16,000 ($8,000 win bonus)
Justin Salas: $8,000
Buddy Roberts: $12,000 ($6,000 win bonus)
Caio Magalhaes: $8,000
Henry Martinez: $12,000 ($6,000 win bonus)
Bernardo Magalhaes: $6,000
Dana White: UFC television deal in South Africa is imminent
The Ultimate Fighting Championship has been aggressive with its world expansion, and the promotion soon will add another part of the globe to its list.
UFC president Dana White on Tuesday said the company recently set its sights on South Africa and is close to launching a broadcast deal in the African country of nearly 50 million people
Bibiano Fernandes says he negotiated with UFC, but never signed to fight at UFC 149
The UFC bolstered its bantamweight division recently with the signing of Bibiano Fernandes (11-3 MMA, 0-0 UFC).
There was just one one problem, though. According to Fernandes, he never signed with the promotion.
Fernandes, according to UFC.com, was expected to face Roland Delorme next month at UFC 149 in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. But the promotion recently removed Fernandes from that bout on the site – though as of late Tuesday morning, a fighter profile page for him still exists there.
"I would like to make perfectly clear the news concerning my involvement with the UFC," Fernandes said in a statement on his Facebook page. "It was announced that I, Bibiano Fernandes have been contracted to fight for the organization at UFC 149 which will take place in the city of Calgary on the 21st of July. I would like to make it clear that I am not a UFC athlete as I did not sign any contract with the UFC organization."
Bibiano Fernandes says he negotiated with UFC, but never signed to fight at UFC 149
The UFC bolstered its bantamweight division recently with the signing of Bibiano Fernandes.
There was just one one problem, though. According to Fernandes, he never signed with the promotion. Fernandes was expected to face Roland Delorme next month at UFC 149 in Calgary, Alberta, Canada.
Fernandes, according to UFC.com, was expected to face Roland Delorme next month at UFC 149. But the promotion recently removed Fernandes from that bout on the site – though as of late Tuesday morning, a fighter profile page for him still exists there.
Rich Franklin Considered Using Testosterone Replacement
Former UFC Middleweight champion Rich Franklin has given some thought to using testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) according to an interview with MMA Fighting. Franklin, who will turn 38 in October, faces Wanderlei Silva in the headliner of this month's UFC 147 in Brazil.
Franklin spoke to Ariel Helwani on the MMA Hour (video after the jump) and admitted he has investigated the possibility of going on TRT as a means of remaining competitive as he ages.
Here's what Ace had to say:
"Yeah, I've kicked around that idea and everything, and actually I've talked to doctors that work with the UFC and the athletic commission in Nevada and all that kind of stuff. And at 37, my count obviously is not what it was when I was 25, and I'm a candidate for that kind of stuff. I haven't started yet."