Free agent Josh Barnett: The right deal is needed to make me exclusive to the UFC
Entering into a free-agency period before his next contract, Josh Barnett wants to mix fighting with other pursuits.
"It would take the right kind of deal to get me to be locked into some place entirely and exclusively," he told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).
While battling the flu, Barnett (32-6 MMA, 3-1 SF) closed out a two-fight deal with a first-round submission over Nandor Guelmino (11-4 MMA, 0-1 SF) at "Strikeforce: Marquardt vs. Saffiedine" this past Saturday.
Already better a day later, he said it feels good to be "a healthy guy able to fight wherever he wants."
Rampage blasts UFC, doesn't respect Teixiera
On todays Press Conference Call Quinton 'Rampage' Jackson blasted the UFC for there unfair treatment and lack of respect for fighters. Rampage was asked why he was leaving the UFC. When asked his primary reason for leaving the UFC he started off by saying he didn't want to go into it and then said the following:
Rampage can't bring Reebok sponsorship into UFC
"My reasons for wanting to leave the UFC are still the same. Matchmaking is just one of the reasons. It's nothing about money. I've done this interview several times before and don't want to go into it. I have a new reason. I'm sponsored by Reebok and UFC says I can't wear Reebok in the cage. Stupid stuff like that. It's not about money, it's about respect. I'd rather take a money cut to go to another show and get appreciated. I'm sponsored by Reebok, just not allowed to wear it in the cage. I can't wear Reebok while I fight. I think in my opinion, the fighters do a lot for the sport and we're not taken care of well enough. I feel like they're getting rich off of all of us. We're having surgeries and injuries and some of these guys can't afford to pay sparring partners and stuff like that. I don't want to be a part of the sport like that. I want to go where they treat their fighters like human beings."
Benson Henderson vs. Gilbert Melendez, Daniel Cormier vs. Frank Mir Confirmed For UFC On Fox 7
A pair of highly-interesting bouts have been confirmed for UFC on Fox 7, as Benson Henderson will defend his UFC lightweight title against Gilbert Melendez in the main event. Also, Frank Mir and Daniel Cormier will finally collide after having their initial bout postponed due to Mir's injury.
The card goes down April 20 from San Jose and the HP Pavilion. UFC officials have made both fights official for the evening.
Henderson (18-2) will be taking on the last Strikeforce lightweight champion in Melendez (21-2). "Bendo" recently defeated Nate Diaz, a teammate and close friend of Melendez.
Cormier (11-0) is set to make his UFC debut after capturing the Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix last year. He was expected to meet Mir (16-6), a former UFC heavyweight champion, but Mir was forced out after a training injury.
Ronda Rousey: Georges St. Pierre is popular because he's 'good-looking' and Canadian
UFC women's bantamweight champion has a well-deserved reputation for just saying what she thinks, and that trend continued recently. In a recent interview with the Las Vegas Review Journal, Rousey was asked about a variety of subjects including judo, her "bad girl attitude". But without a doubt, the most interesting comments she made were in reference to the UFC welterweight champion, Georges St. Pierre.
Despite Strikeforce loss to Pat Healy, Kurt Holobaugh headed to UFC
Kurt Holobaugh may have come out on the short end of a decision loss to Pat Healy on Saturday in his major-promotion debut, but it won't keep him out of the UFC.
Holobaugh (8-1 MMA, 0-1 SF) dropped a unanimous decision to Pat Healy (29-16 MMA, 7-1 SF) on the preliminary card of "Strikeforce: Marquardt vs. Saffiedine" in Oklahoma City, falling with a pair of 30-27 scores and a 29-28.
But Holobaugh apparently did enough to impress the UFC brass that he should get a shot there now that Strikeforce is no more. The Louisiana native has signed a UFC deal, sources close to him on Tuesday confirmed to MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com)
The Forward Roll - Strikeforce: Marquardt vs. Saffiedine edition
Over the last few days, there has been some confusion about whether all of the Strikeforce fighters will be transferred over to the UFC. Many of them will. Strikeforce contracts were owned by the same parent company as the UFC, so they are legally transferrable. Others won't make it, either because they are victims of losses that will see them cut, or have become free agents with price tags that Zuffa does not want to meet.
Josh Barnett right now seems in danger of falling into the last category. Barnett's fight deal expired with his Saturday night win, and the UFC hasn't tipped their hand regarding their interest in bringing him into the fold...
Anthony Pettis – “No More Mr. Nice Guy, I’m Going to Get My Title Shot”
Anthony Pettis had to hear the news like everyone else recently that former Strikeforce champion Gilbert Melendez would get the next crack at Benson Henderson and the UFC lightweight title.
Since defeating Henderson in the final WEC fight to close out 2010, Pettis has been waiting for a shot at the belt, only to have delays, rematches and now other opponents step in the way of him receiving his long awaited crack at the title...
Hector Lombard: 'Douchebag' Michael Bisping upset at him for squeezing his 'little girl' hands
"I saw this douchebag at the elevator. I squeezed his hand and he's got the smallest hands I've ever seen in my life. I squeezed his hand and I'm sure he was in pain a little bit after that, he started talking about me, you know? About how short I am. But one thing you can be 100 percent sure about, is he has the smallest hands ever, like a little girls hands. But, I squeezed it and I think that's one of the reasons he is upset at me."
- Hector Lombard
The Blueprint: Bisping vs. Belfort
Do you love standup-only fights?
If so, the main event on FX this Saturday night is must-see TV. Vitor Belfort versus Michael Bisping pits two of the UFC’s best 185-pound strikers (not named Anderson Silva) against each other in a championship eliminator, of sorts.
Josh Janousek to make UFC debut against Michael Kuiper at UFC on FOX 6
The fight card for the UFC's second FOX show in Chicago, Ill. continues to fill out. NCAA Diviion II All-American Josh Janousek will make his Octagon debut against Michael Kuiper at the network television event. MMA Fighting's Ariel Helwani has confirmed that news with sources close to the signing.
A junior college national champion in wrestling, Janousek eventually moved on to the Minnesota State University, Mankota for his junior and senior years in 2004 and 2005 where he earned All-American honors.
Janousek, 32, is 8-1 in professional mixed martial arts and has moonlighted as a coach for various other fighters. Most notably, he helped Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira prepare for Brendan Schaub prior to UFC 134. He also prepped Junior dos Santos prior to his first meeting with Cain Velasquez at the first UFC on FOX.
Lightweight Champ Ben Henderson signs new eight-fight UFC contract extension
UFC lightweight champion, Benson "Smooth" Henderson, was one of the WEC's top lightweights before getting placed into the UFC. He proved the WEC doubters wrong, as he became the UFC lightweight champion and has since defended it twice. With that, he has now signed an eight fight deal with the UFC, likely for a pretty good amount of money.
Ben Henderson, the reigning Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) lightweight champion, is coming off a terrific win over Nate Diaz at UFC on Fox 5 in Dec. 2012, defending his 155-pound title for the second time in a row.
"Smooth" has made it to the highest point in the mixed martial arts (MMA) promotion's most talent-laden division, and now it looks like he'll be getting the pay that comes with it, inking a brand new eight fight deal with the UFC.