Joseph Benavidez vs. Zach Makovsky added to UFC 196
A key flyweight matchup between contenders Joseph Benavidez (23-4 MMA, 10-2 UFC) and Zach Makovsky (19-6 MMA, 3-2 UFC) has been added to UFC 196.
UFC officials recently confirmed the matchup with the Las Vegas Review-Journal and subsequently made an announcement via social media, as well.
Benavidez is currently ranked No. 2 in the latest USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie MMA flyweight rankings, while Makovsky is ranked No. 10.
Dominick Cruz takes aim again at 'meathead jock' T.J. Dillashaw
It's no world tour, but the promotion leading up to T.J. Dillashaw's Jan. 17 UFC bantamweight title defense to Dominick Cruz has some similar undertones.
If Conor McGregor laid out the blueprint on how to sell the lower weight classes Cruz has been taking notes.
Cruz fired the first major shot when the pair visited Boston, the site of the bout, back in November when he dressed Dillashaw down, called his coach Duane Ludwig a "sad pimp," and still couldn't get the champ to play ball.
Khabib Nurmagomedov wants winner of Anthony Pettis vs. Eddie Alvarez, has unfinished business with Nate Diaz
Undefeated UFC lightweight Khabib Nurmagomedov hasn't fought since April 2014, but he isn't looking for an easy tune-up fight when he makes his return to the Octagon.
According to Ariel Helwani on Wednesday's edition of UFC Tonight, Nurmagomedov (22-0) is looking toward the winner of Jan. 17's UFC Fight Night 81 clash between Anthony Pettis (18-3) and Eddie Alvarez (26-4) for his next outing. Nurmagomedov told Helwani he's not interested in talking trash or ruffling feathers – he just believes Pettis and Alvarez are the best guys ahead of him in the rankings, and a win over either of them would propel him toward the UFC lightweight title.
Manager: Jacare Souza wants Chris Weidman or Yoel Romero rematch, feels Romero 'played dirty'
Ronaldo Souza's title chances were dashed Dec. 12 at UFC 194 in Las Vegas, where Yoel Romero defeated him via split decision, snapping an eight-fight winning streak in the process.
According to Souza's manager, Gilberto Faria, that loss – and the circumstances surrounding it – left Souza with a bad taste in his mouth.
"We still have not digested the judges' decision," Faria told Ariel Helwani in a statement that was aired Wednesday evening on UFC Tonight. "Romero played dirty. If you look at the footage, he held the fence twice to avoid the takedown sequence in the second round and poked Jacare's eyes in the third."
NSAC to rule on Nick Diaz return to UFC Jan 12
UFC welterweight Nick Diaz, who was handed a five-year suspension from competing in MMA after a drug test at UFC 183, is one step closer to being reinstated by Nevada State Athletic Commission.
Nick Diaz may finally learn his fate next week.
On the agenda for the next Nevada Athletic Commission meeting, there is a hearing on a motion for reconsideration and proposed settlement agreement regarding Diaz. The meeting is scheduled for Tuesday in Las Vegas.
Following 'serious' Outfitting Policy infractions, UFC issues 3 payment reductions
For the first time since the UFC instituted its revolutionary Athlete Outfitting Policy, a handful of the promotion’s athletes will be receiving a little less money than they might have expected based on the program’s payout tiers.
MMAjunkie today confirmed with UFC officials that three athletes who competed at December’s UFC on FOX 17 event will receive reductions on their scheduled payments after “knowingly and seriously” violating the policy, marking the first time the promotion has taken such a step.
Dustin Poirier completes surgery for broken nose, expects to be out six weeks
Poirier (19-4 MMA, 11-3 UFC) wasted little time going under the knife following two breaks to his nose in a UFC 195 bout with Joseph Duffy (14-2 MMA, 2-1 UFC) earlier this month. “The Diamond” defeated Duffy by unanimous decision, but absorbed several hard shots to the face early in the fight that sent blood leaking from his nose at a high rate for more than two rounds.
Four days after the big win, Poirier went under the knife to fix several breaks to his nasal structure.
Martin 'The Hitman' Kampmann officially retires from MMA
Following 27 professional fights, including 17 in the UFC, Martin Kampmann has officially retired from the sport of mixed martial arts.
Kampmann, 33, broke the news to UFC.com this week.
"I've known for a while," Kampmann said about his retirement. "I just haven't really made it official. I'm not sure why."
(Courtesy of on Twitter)
IV ban sends Diego Sanchez back to lightweight
Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) somethingweight veteran Diego Sanchez is back on the weight-cutting roller coaster, thanks to the recent ban on intravenous (IV) hydration handed down by United States Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) last summer.
(Courtesy of on Twitter)
Neil Magny attends seminar hosted by former opponent Demian Maia
For UFC welterweight Neil Magny, the roughly eight minutes he spent in the cage with Demian Maia at UFC 190 this past August was about as humbling an experience as a fighter could have.
He came into the fight riding a seven-fight winning streak, hadn’t lost in almost two years, and was feeling pretty confident about his chances against the Brazilian jiu-jitsu specialist.
(Courtesy of on Twitter)
Rockhold: I don't want to fight at UFC 199
UFC champ Luke Rockhold has the foresight to know that when a big fight or event is on the horizon, much of what surrounds it gets lost in the shuffle.
Rockhold (15-2 MMA, 5-1 UFC) said that’s exactly what’s going to happen as July’s UFC 200 event draws near, which is why he wants his first middleweight title defense to take place on that mega-card, which airs July 9 on pay-per-view from the new Las Vegas Arena.
“I would say (I want to fight in) May, June or July, but UFC 200 would be cool,” Rockhold told MMAjunkie Radio. “I don’t want to be on UFC 199, I’ll tell you that. The hype for 200 will be so big it will take away from 199. Who wants to be on 199? I want to be on 198 or 200. That would be cool, even if I’m not main eventing.”
Tyron Woodley wants Robbie Lawler title fight, but ‘preparing myself to be heartbroken again’
For three long months, Tyron Woodley was the UFC's official No. 1 welterweight contender in waiting. But the fight game tends to have its own mind when it comes to matters like these, and after Robbie Lawler and Carlos Condit set Las Vegas ablaze with an instant classic Saturday night at UFC 195, Woodley knows he may have some work to do if he wants to preserve his spot as the next in line.
"Even before the fifth round, the way that the fight was going, I already was thinking, ‘goddamnit, they're about to do this fight again,'" Woodley said Monday on The MMA Hour. "We are in the era of the rematch. People want to see a rematch every other weekend. How many rematches have you seen?
Cirkunov Welcomes Nicholson to the Octagon at UFC 196
A Light Heavyweight match-up between Latvian import Misha Cirkunov and UFC newcomer Alex “The Spartan” Nicholson is set for UFC 196: Werdum vs. Velasquez 2 on February 6 at the MGM Grand Garden Casino in Las Vegas, Nevada. It has not been confirmed as of yet where the bout will fall on the lineup however it will likely be part of the preliminary card. The UFC confirmed the bout today on their Facebook page.