Do you have a hot MMA story or news item that you have found and would like to share?
Then read our guidelines then post it to our MMA News Share Forum to have it display here for the community to read on this page.
Both Chuck Liddell and Matt Hughes are no longer employed by the UFC.
The legendary MMA fighters were recently among another group of employees laid off by new owners, WME-IMG, MMA Fighting has confirmed. According to multiple sources, approximately 10-15 employees were let go this week.
A week before the event, next week’s UFC Fight Night 102 card has a pair of injury replacements.
With Patrick Cummins (8-4 MMA, 4-4 UFC) out with a staph infection, promotional newcomer Saparbek Safarov (8-0 MMA, 0-0 UFC) will step in to take on Gian Villante (14-7 MMA, 4-4 UFC) in a light heavyweight bout on the main card.
And with Tatiana Suarez (4-0 MMA, 1-0 UFC) out of her fight against Juliana Lima (8-3 MMA 2-2 UFC), Lima now will fight J.J. Aldrich (4-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC) in a women’s strawweight bout on the prelims.
UFC officials announced the changes today. UFC Fight Night 102 takes place Dec. 9 at Times Union Center in Albany, N.Y. The entire card streams on UFC Fight Pass, though the bout order hasn’t been finalized.
Last week during the UFC Fight Night 101 broadcast, the UFC announced that Conor McGregor had voluntarily given up his UFC featherweight title, ending his reign as a two-weight world champion. Since, McGregor has remained silent until now.
On Friday, during a Q&A session at The Devenish bar in Belfast, Ireland, McGregor addressed the UFC’s claims that he relinquished his 145-pound title, and said that the featherweight belt is still sitting at home.
Next month’s UFC on FOX 23 lineup has two new additions.
They include middleweights Hector Lombard (34-6-1 MMA, 3-4 UFC) vs. Brad Tavares (14-4 MMA, 9-4 UFC) and lightweights Jason Gonzalez (10-3 MMA, 0-1 UFC) vs. J.C. Cottrell (17-4 MMA, 0-1 UFC).
UFC officials recently unveiled the bouts.
UFC on FOX 23 takes place Jan. 28 at Pepsi Center in Denver. The card airs on FOX after early prelims on UFC Fight Pass, though the bout order hasn’t been finalized.
Next month’s UFC Fight Night 103 lineup has three new official additions.
Officials recently announced lightweights Joe Lauzon (26-12 MMA, 13-9 UFC) vs. Marcin Held (22-5 MMA, 0-1 UFC), bantamweights Bryan Caraway (21-7 MMA, 6-2 UFC) vs. Jimmie Rivera (20-1 MMA, 4-0 UFC), and flyweights Jussier Formiga (19-4 MMA, 5-3 UFC) vs. Sergio Pettis (14-2 MMA, 5-2 UFC).
UFC Fight Night 103 takes place Jan. 15 at Phoenix’s Talking Stick Resort Arena. The airs on FS1 following early prelims on UFC Fight Pass, though the bout order hasn’t been finalized.
Roy Nelson has issued a statement apologizing for the incident with referee ‘Big’ John McCarthy.
“First I’d like to apologize to the fans who make our sport,” Nelson told a group of reporters in Las Vegas. “To the Brazilian commission, John McCarthy and the rest of the world, my team and especially my family for my actions in my last fight. “My actions were out of character. I have nothing against anyone, including John McCarthy. I recognize what I did was a mistake and I was wrong. I can’t apologize enough to John McCarthy, to the commission, and to MMA fans around the world. I can’t wait to get back into the Octagon to entertain the fans.”
Gian Villante needs a new opponent for UFC Fight Night 102, as Patrick Cummins was forced out of the light heavyweight bout after suffering a staph infection in his shin, MMA Fighting has learned.
Villante vs. Cummins was part of the UFC’s second trip to New York since the sport got legalized in the state. UFC Fight Night 102 takes place Dec. 9 at Albany’s Times Union Center.
"The Korean Zombie" is finally close to returning to action.
According to multiple sources, the UFC is currently working towards booking Chan Sung Jung vs. Dennis Bermudez as the main event for the Feb. 4 Fight Night event in Houston.
The UFC announced on Thursday that it's Jan. 21 date at the Honda Center in Anaheim has been postponed and rescheduled for Aug. 5. The event will remain a pay-per-view card.
The Jan. 21 card in Anaheim was originally scheduled to be titled UFC 208. Instead, the Feb. 11 card in Brooklyn which was originally slated to be UFC 209 is now UFC 208; and the Las Vegas card on March 4 expected to be UFC 210 is now UFC 209.
For the first time since almost universally adopting a new process for official event weigh-ins, the UFC will not host a ceremonial session later in the day.
UFC officials recently revealed that there will be no ceremonial weigh-in session at next week’s “UFC Fight Night 102: Lewis vs. Abdurakhimov” event, which takes place Dec. 9 at Times Union Center in Albany, N.Y.
Instead, according to UFC officials, “portions of the official weigh-in, currently scheduled for 9-11 a.m. ET, will be taped and posted to UFC.com and UFC Fight Pass later the same day.”
With just three days until The Ultimate Fighter 24 Finale, the main event for Saturday’s fight card is finally official.
After rumors and spoilers about the “The Ultimate Fighter 24: Tournament of Champions” winner floated around for several months, it’s now confirmed that Tim Elliott will challenge UFC flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson for the gold.
The Ultimate Fighter 24 Finale takes place at The Pearl at Palms Casino Resort in Las Vegas. The card airs on FS1 following early prelims on UFC Fight Pass.
Five of the most well-known fighters in the UFC are starting a fighters association.
The group, headlined by all-time great Georges St-Pierre, will be called the Mixed Martial Arts Athletes Association and will focus on evening the playing field between fighters and the UFC, it was announced on a media conference call Wednesday.
St-Pierre was joined on the call by Tim Kennedy, Cain Velasquez, Donald Cerrone and T.J. Dillashaw. Those five fighters will make up the association's first board. Former Bellator owner Bjorn Rebney was also on the call and he said he would be part of the MMAAA in an advisory, support role. GSP, Velasquez and Dillashaw are all former UFC champions.
A top-ranked UFC fighter is ‘shocked’ after she was refused a free ticket to UFC 206.
Joanne Calderwood, who is ranked 7th in the UFC’s women’s strawweight division, took to social media on Monday to relay a ‘shocking’ experience she had with the UFC regarding complimentary tickets for the upcoming UFC 206.
I don't ask for much and I know this is a very selfish sport when it comes down to giving your time and attention esp if you are serious about being a high level professional fighter...as a fighter I know we don't get a lot back and it's never an easy road, we sacrifice a lot and most of the time we are broke. I'm eating into my savings just to pay for myself to get better as a fighter so I can win and put on better fights. Right now I'm recovering from a minor concussion and to know it could put my next pay day back further is scary, not to mention I don't even know when my next fight is going to get offered to me. I'm lucky for the support around me cause Ive been really down the past week with having to take time out of training and it's tough not knowing what's around the corner. But anyway I've been really looking forward to making the trip to Toronto next week to support some of the guys from Tristar, after emailing the UFC to request tickets, I'm still a little shocked after receiving this....to say I'm upset is an understatement
Kelvin Gastelum is good to go for Toronto.
The UFC fighter has been cleared of his suspension from the New York State Athletic Commission (NYSAC) and will face Tim Kennedy at UFC 206 on Dec. 10.
Gastelum was suspended six months for not showing up to weigh-ins before UFC 205 in New York, but the commission and Gastelum settled on a $2,000 fine instead prior to an appeal hearing, per New York State Department spokesperson Laz Benitez.
MMA Fighting's Ariel Helwani reported the news earlier Tuesday.
Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC), the world’s leading mixed martial arts (MMA) promotion, is expected to drive up its asking price for broadcasting rights when its current television deal expires in 2018.
But if and when UFC does set sail for greener pastures — or stay put on FOX — its live programming may undergo a facelift. That’s according to industry insider and television ratings guru Dave Meltzer.
If you want to know who Demetrious Johnson will be fighting in the TUF 24 Finale main event, it looks like you won’t have to wait until Wednesday to find out.
This Wednesday’s episode will be the TUF 24 tournament final, with pre-tournament favorite Tim Elliott facing off against Japan’s Hiromasa Ogikubo. Well I suppose if you flipped ahead in the TV Guide on DirecTV or AT&T, you needn’t bother finding out who won Elliott-Ogikubo, because they already spoiled the result. Here are a couple of tweets that were sent out recently, including one from veteran MMA official Rob Hinds. This is probably a good time for you to exit this article if you don’t want to be spoiler’d.
Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) lightweight titleholder Conor McGregor is no longer the organization’s reigning featherweight champion after promotion president Dana White made good on his promise to strip “Notorious” of the 145-pound strap.
Coach John Kavanagh isn’t happy about it.
“For me personally, I was very disappointed with how they went about doing it. It was a very messy set of circumstances which led to doing it. They lost [UFC 206] main event and then they haphazardly threw together a new main event. They felt they had to make this for a title in order for it to sell so they brought in another interim title that Jose Aldo already has and then bumped Jose Aldo up to the current undisputed champion, which just seems ridiculous to me. Conor has only been 11 months since he won that title. There have been many, many examples of fighters waiting 15 months, 18 months before defending it. He’s 11 months and they stripped him of it. I thought it was very shortsighted by the UFC how they went about doing it.”
Aljamain Sterling and Raphael Assuncao are still expected to fight – just not at UFC Fight Night 102.
As MMAjunkie reported this past week, Sterling (12-1 MMA, 4-1 UFC) and Assuncao (23-5 MMA, 7-2 UFC) were initially slated for UFC Fight Night 102 – until Sterling suffered an injury and was forced off the card.
Although officials initially looked for a replacement, Assuncao has instead decided to wait for Sterling’s return, and their rebooking is targeted for a future but still-to-be-determined card.
UFC middleweight – and recent welterweight – Kelvin Gastelum needs some good news in order to fight Tim Kennedy, and quickly.
The New York State Athletic Commission hasn’t given Gastelum a date for a hearing on his appeal of a six-month suspension. According to the Ontario Athletic Commission, his record has to be clear to fight at UFC 206.
“The OAC honors all suspensions by members of the Association of Boxing Commissions,” Denelle Balfour, a spokesperson for the commission, wrote today in an email to MMAjunkie.
“The Ultimate Fighter 17” winner expressed confidence that he will be cleared.
“What we’re trying to do is get the suspension lifted, and that’s what my team is working for right now,” Gastelum told MMAjunkie. “News should be coming soon this week.”
When Zuffa sold the UFC to WME-IMG earlier this year for $4 billion, one of the key talking points in the aftermath was the upcoming TV rights deal expiration and renegotiation. The UFC's current broadcasting deal with Fox Sports is a seven-year deal for $115 million annually, and by most accounts, FOX is getting a bargain for that price.
Well, soon they won't be. On Monday, the Sports Business Journal put up a piece delving into the plan WME-IMG has for the new TV rights deal, and among other things, it includes a major price bump with the UFC seeking $450 million per annum for ten years.
"Its magic number is $450 million a year, a potentially staggering increase from the $115 million annual average that FOX Sports now pays, according to several media and UFC sources.
"Although formal negotiations aren't expected to start until next year, network executives have learned that the UFC plans to seek at least a 10-year deal under those terms, sources said."