Jake Shields calls out Cung Le, Frank Shamrock
Jake Shields (23-4-1) is considered to be one of the top welterweights in the world, however that may end soon as the former EliteXC Welterweight Champion may be moving up to middleweight. As we reported last month, Strikeforce is expected to introduce an interim middleweight championship as the current champion, Cung Le, is busy with his movie career, and Shields is expected to be in the title mix. Shields recently spoke with Rod Moyer of FightLine.com on a variety of topics including Cung Le, his friendship with Nick Diaz, his rivalry with Frank Shamrock and much more....
What do you guys think of this? I think Jake Shields would do pretty good at middleweight. I am a fan of Jake Shields and he has 2 fights left on his contract with Strikeforce. I think if he wins both those fights, wins the middleweight title, UFC should definetely try and sign him.
Roger Gracie Off 8/15 Strikeforce Event
Despite recent reports to the contrary, Roger Gracie recently announced he is off the 8/15 Strikeforce event that was to have been his US debut. A recent report from GracieMag says Gracie has been unable to rest and train due to caring for his 3-year-old son. SF says they hoped to have Gracie on the event but bout agreements were never in place.
Lavar Johnson Expected to Be Released From Hospital 'Soon'
Lavar Johnson, the Strikeforce heavyweight fighter who was shot multiple times during a family reunion on July 4th weekend, is recovering at a local Bakersfield, Calif., hospital and is expected to be released "soon." A representative of Zinkin Entertainment, the management company which represents Johnson, informed FanHouse of the news Tuesday.
Fabricio Werdum reveals strategy against Alistair Overeem: ‘Just wait for him to get tired’
Fabricio Werdum is currently preparing for the most important professional fight of his life.
On August 15 the renowned Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black belt will be facing off with Dutch wrecking ball Alistair Overeem for the Strikeforce Heavyweight Championship on the main card of “Strikeforce: Carano vs.Cyborg“.
The two are far from strangers as they had previously faced off at “PRIDE: Total Elimination Absolute” in May of 2006. A bout which Werdum had his hand raised in victory following a second round kimura submission from his guard.
Lavar Johnson Currently in Stable Condition Following Surgery
Strikeforce heavyweight fighter Lavar Johnson is recovering at a local Bakersfield, Calif., hospital after what appears to have been a successful surgery Monday morning.
When FanHouse contacted Zinkin Entertainment, the organization which represents Johnson, a publicist issued this update:
"Lavar underwent surgery this morning for internal injuries. The surgery was a success, and he is currently in stable condition. He sustained life-threatening injuries to internal organs. We ask for everyone to continue to keep Lavar in their prayers."
RIGGS/DIAZ 2 FOR STRIKEFORCE WELTERWEIGHT BELT
A rematch between rivals Nick Diaz and Joe Riggs is set for the main card of Strikeforce "Carano vs. Cyborg" on Aug. 15. The bout will be for the newly created welterweight title.
Sources close to both fighters confirmed the news to MMAWeekly.com on Monday. An announcement from the promotion is expected shortly.
It is the fourth title fight confirmed for the late summer card. Gina Carano faces Cristiane "Cyborg" Santos for the women's 145-pound belt, Josh Thomson defends his lightweight strap against Gilbert Melendez, and heavyweight champion Alistair Overeem defends against Fabricio Werdum.
Rogers' Manager: 'Overeem Is Afraid'
Following Brett Rogers' impressive 22-second knockout of Andrei Arlovski on the June 6 Strikeforce event, many suspected that he would be next in line to fight for the organization's heavyweight title. However, Rogers' trainer/manager, Mike Reilly, told FanHouse Monday that he isn't surprised that Rogers isn't getting the first crack at champion Alistair Overeem.
"I don't think Overeem was ever planning on fighting Brett," Reilly said. "I think Overeem is afraid of Brett. He's afraid of a big striker who is going to knock him out. ... I don't think anyone is going to admit that, but I'm not going to shy away from it. He's had two opportunities to fight Brett but he hasn't taken either of him."
Alistair Overeem vs. Fabricio Werdum for Aug. 15th Strikeforce event
"Strikeforce: Carano vs. Cyborg" received another significant addition of talent today, as Strikeforce officially added a heavyweight title fight between current champion Alistair Overeem (29-11) and challenger Fabricio Werdum (11-4-1).
MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) confirmed the addition to the Aug. 15 card, which will take place at the HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif., with Strikeforce Director of Communications Mike Afromowitz.
Heavyweight prospect Lavar Johnson reportedly fighting for life after suffering gunshot wound
Strikeforce, WEC and Palace Fighting Championship veteran Lavar Johnson (12-3) is reportedly battling for his life after suffering a gun shot wound early Sunday morning.
Johnson and three others were injured in Bakersfield, Calif., just after 12 a.m. PT Sunday morning when an unidentified assailant opened fire with a semi-automatic handgun at a gathering that the fighter was attending.
A fifth victim, Anthony Mack Johnson, 37, was pronounced dead at the scene.
While MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has learned that Johnson is currently under medical supervision, Bakersfield police representatives were unsure of which hospital was currently treating the heavyweight fighter.
Not so fast, Tito...
In a video interview we recently posted with Tito Ortiz shot this past weekend in Pittsburgh, "The Huntington Beach Bad Boy" said that he is set to start his own organization, Punishment Fighting Championships, in association with Strikeforce.
"I'm starting my own organization also with Strikeforce called "Punishment Fighting Championships," Ortiz said. "So, you know, just not as a promoter, I'll be competing also, and bringing some other guys around and trying to create superstars."
However, when Fanhouse contacted Strikeforce director of communications Mike Afromowitz Tuesday, he made it pretty clear that no agreement is in place with Ortiz.
"I don't know anything about it," Afromowitz said........
Tito Ortiz Claims He's Close to Strikeforce Deal, No Return to UFC
In the 13 months since his last fight, Tito Ortiz has said more times than I can count that he's close to signing a new contract to return to MMA with another organization. So take this with a grain of salt: Ortiz claims he's close to a new deal with Strikeforce, and he's already targeting an October return to fight Renato "Babalu" Sobral. He also says he has his eyes on a future fight with Fedor Emelianenko, and he says he won't return to the UFC as long as Dana White runs the company.
Erin Toughill official for "Strikeforce: Carano vs. Cyborg" event on Aug. 15
by John Morgan on Jun 27, 2009 at 10:10 am ET
While the California-based Strikeforce organization is set to promote the most heavily anticipated bout in women's MMA history when highly marketed former EliteXC stars Gina Carano (7-0) and Cristiane "Cyborg" Santos (7-1) meet in the main event of the Aug. 15 event "Carano vs. Cyborg," the company is not stopping its commitment to the women's game there.
MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has learned that fellow top female 145-pound fighter Erin Toughill (10-2-1) will appear on the evening's card against an as-yet-undetermined opponent.
"Strikeforce: Carano vs. Cyborg" takes place Aug. 15 at the HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif. Tickets are currently on sale for the Showtime-broadcast event.
While Carano and Santos have long been considered by many as the top two fighters in the featherweight division, many MMA observers believe Toughill is also in the top five, if not the top three.
Toughill boxed professionally between 2000 and 2006, while also competing in mixed martial arts. The 32-year-old then took a brief hiatus from both sports and competed on "American Gladiators" as the gladiator "Steel."
Toughill is 3-0 since her November 2008 return to action. All three wins came in the Palace Fighting Championship, including a May decision over the previously undefeated Emily Thompson.
Five of Toughill's 10 wins have come by knockout or TKO.
With a win on the card, Toughill could quickly prove a contender for the Strikeforce's 145-pound belt, a title that will be first granted to the winner of the Carano vs. Santos bout.
Strikeforce Director of Communications Mike Afromowitz told MMAjunkie.com he was excited to have Toughill involved with the organization.
"Erin brings a great deal of experience to the cage, and she's very strong," Afromowitz said. "She's been in the game for a while, and she's certainly earned the right to be recognized as one of the best fighters in the women's featherweight division.
"Erin is definitely a great addition to our organization, and we're excited to bring her into Strikeforce on the same night we award our first-ever women's title to either Gina Carano or Cristiane 'Cyborg' Santos."
For complete coverage of "Strikeforce: Carano vs. Cyborg", stay tuned to the MMA Rumors section of MMAjunkie.com.
John Morgan is the lead staff reporter for MMAjunkie.com
All 22 "Strikeforce Challengers: Villasenor vs. Cyborg" competitors issued medical suspensions
Unlike some states, Washington apparently issues all competitors a minimum one-week suspension. Paperwork was void of any details of each fighter's particular ailment, though suspension dates are listed below.
* Joey Villasenor: Suspended indefinitely, doctor's clearance needed
* Evangelista Cyborg: Suspended until July 19
* Tim Kennedy: Suspended until June 26
* Nick Thompson: Suspended until June 26
* Jorge Gurgel: Suspended indefinitely, doctor's clearance needed
* Conor Heun: Suspended indefinitely, doctor's clearance needed
* Sarah Kaufman: Suspended until June 26
* Shayna Baszler: Suspended until June 26
* Luke Rockhold: Suspended until June 26
* Corey Devela: Suspended until June 26
* Dennis Hallman: Suspended until June 26
* Justin Davis: Suspended until June 26
* Brian Caraway: Suspended until June 26
* Alex Zuniga: Suspended until June 26
* Lyle Beerbohm: Suspended until June 26
* Duane Ludwig: Suspended until June 26
* Landon Showalter: Suspended until June 26
* George Stork: Suspended until July 19
* Len Bentley: Suspended until June 26
* Marques Daniels: Suspended until July 19
* Steve Hadsel: Suspended until June 26
* Taylor Roberts: Suspended until Aug. 18
June 19 Strikeforce Challengers fighters salaries: Villasenor, Kennedy and Gurgel earn top pay
The list of official salaries includes:
Joey Villasenor: $48,000
def. Evangelista Cyborg: $10,000
Tim Kennedy: $20,000
def. Nick Thompson: $15,000
Jorge Gurgel: $20,000
def. Conor Heun: $4,000
Sarah Kaufman: $8,000
def. Shayna Baszler: $8,000
Luke Rockhold: $7,000
def. Corey Devela: $7,500
Dennis Hallman: $10,000
def. Justin Davis: $2,000
Brian Caraway: $6,000
def. Alex Zuniga: $1,000
Lyle Beerbohm: $6,000
def. Duane Ludwig: $15,000
Landon Showalter: $3,000
def. George Stork: $1000
Len Bentley: $1,500
def. Marques Daniels: $1,500
Steve Hadsel: $3,000
def. Taylor Roberts: $1,000