StrikeForce News - Page 61
Do you have a hot MMA story or news item that you have found and would like to share? Simply read the instructions, then post it to our MMA News Share Forum to have it display here for the community to read on this page.
Almost healthy, Joe Riggs just wants to fight
Joe Riggs is itching to get back into the cage. The Strikeforce welterweight is healthy, or mostly healthy, since his release from an Arizona hospital in mid-August following an adverse reaction to anti-depressant withdrawal. Riggs has taken Effexor since seventh grade and was advised by a homeopathic doctor to discontinue its use. When he did in late July, his body went into shock.
Gegard Mousasi Confirms 11/7 CBS Fight
As expected newly crowned Strikeforce Light Heavyweight Champion Gegard Mousasi will, in fact, defend his belt at Strikeforce's Nov. 7 event, which airs on CBS. He was expected to be on the card and confirmed his participation via M-1 Global. No challenger named yet.
Miller, Uflacker, Davis, Novaes to Make Strikeforce Debuts on Nov. 7
Mark Miller, Deray Davis, Christian "Xaropinho" Uflacker and Jonatas Novaes have all signed with Strikeforce and will make their debuts at the Nov. 7 Fedor vs. Rogers event in Hoffman Estates, Ill. FanHouse has learned from sources close to the fighters that IFL veteran Miller will be facing former Bellator competitor Davis, and Uflacker will meet Novaes in a battle of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black belts on the undercard of the CBS-televised event.
Is CBS Going to Promote Strikeforce's Fedor Emelianenko vs Brett Rogers Bout?
MMAConvert: See any Fedor commercials during CBS NFL games this past weekend? No. There are still four more Sundays between now and Fedor's November 7 fight with Brett Rogers on CBS, so maybe we'll see plenty of commercials promoting Fedor during CBS NFL games, but as of right now, I think CBS is missing some opportunities to hype the fight. Hard-core fans universally consider Fedor the best heavyweight in MMA, and many consider him the best fighter ever to fight in any weight class. But hard-core MMA fans are still a relatively small audience, and for this fight to get a good rating, CBS will need to appeal to casual MMA fans and people who have never watched MMA at all.
Overeem Faces TUF 1 Alum Hoger at Glory 11
Alistair Overeem's international calendar just got more crowded. The 29-year-old Strikeforce heavyweight champion is expected to face original "Ultimate Fighter" alum Sam Hoger at Glory 11 on Oct. 17 in his home city of Amsterdam. Triple Crown Fighter's Steve Ruisch, who brokered the deal for Hoger, told MMAWeekly.com Monday afternoon that the deal was "95 percent finalized." Overeem recently appeared in a promotional video for Dream 12, to be held eight days after Glory 11 in Osaka, Japan. His opponent was unnamed. The event will be Dream’s first to utilize a hexagonal cage. It has been almost two years since Overeem won the Strikeforce belt against Paul Buentello at the promotion's lone MMA tournament, “Four Men Enter, One Man Survives,” in November 2007. He was twice scheduled to make his U.S. return this year, but a lingering hand injury forced him to withdraw from bouts in April and June. Since then, several reports have questioned Overeem's contractual status as well as his motivations for staying overseas.
Nick Diaz Camp Responds to Hieron Assertions
"As Strikeforce’s fall schedule takes shape, several of the promotion’s marquee fighters have grown antsy, and they’re pointing fingers at each other. Jay Hieron, a July addition to the welterweight stable, wants to fight Nick Diaz and says he is tired of waiting in limbo after choosing Strikeforce over the UFC. "
Report: Scott Smith re-ups with Strikeforce, eyes December bout with Radach or Shamrock
Middleweight slugger Scott Smith (16-6) has signed a new six-fight deal with Strikeforce, and he could see action as soon as December. News of the new deal was first reported by AOL FanHouse, who learned of the re-signing from Smith's agent, Mike Roberts. Roberts also shared that his client, while uncertain of his next opponent, was interested in a potential rematch with Benji Radach (19-5) or a bout with MMA legend Frank Shamrock (23-10-2).
MMA Quick Quote: Jake Shields is going to ''smash" Mayhem Miller on Nov. 7
“I have nothing against Jason. I think he’s a tough fighter, but I’m gonna go out there and beat the crap of him on the 7th, ya know? Jason likes to talk and I’m gonna go out there and once we’re in the cage, you’ll see what happens. I’ve certainly prepared on my end. When I get through Jason Miller, then we’ll see who they bring at me. Seems like they’re bringing in some big middleweights so there’s lots of possibilities. I feel the best that I have ever felt. I’m going to go out there and try to smash Mayhem. I’ve been working on my stand-up, wrestling and jui jitsu, every aspect. I’m gonna go out there and make a statement and beat the living crap out of him.” – Former Elite XC welterweight champion Jake Shields tells FightHype.com that he’s going to steamroll former ICON Sport middleweight champion Jason ‘Mayhem’ Miller at Strikeforce: “Fedor vs. Rogers” from the Sears Centre on Nov. 7 live on CBS.
Strikeforce's next "Arena series" show likely for San Jose in December
While Strikeforce is now scheduled to host three shows in November, the California-based organization isn't quite finished booking events in 2009. Dave Meltzer of Yahoo! Sports was the first to report that a December "Arena Series" show was likely, and MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has since confirmed with multiple sources close to the organization that Strikeforce is planning an event at HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif. And while Meltzer was the first to report that a Dec. 12 date for the event had been secured with the California State Athletic Commission, an additional Dec. 5 date has since been added to the calendar.
Strikeforce Hires it's First Matchmaker
"Rich Chou has been hired by Strikeforce to serve as the world championship mixed martial arts (MMA) promotion's first-ever official matchmaker. Chou comes to Strikeforce with 10 years of experience in the MMA business. During his tenure in the sport, he has functioned in the same capacity with two other organizations and worn a number of other hats including that of competitor and referee."
Bobby Lashley in Talks With Strikeforce
Bobby Lashley, the former WWE champion turned MMA fighter, is currently in talks with Strikeforce to compete for the San Jose-based organization, FanHouse has learned. The MMA rookie hasn't fought since his June 27 victory over Bob Sapp on the Prize Fight Promotions "Ultimate Chaos" pay-per-view, and still has two fights left on his contract with that organization. However, talks have heated up over the last few weeks with Strikeforce about Lashley making his debut on the Nov. 7 CBS show, headlined by Fedor Emelianenko vs. Brett Rogers. As of Thursday morning, though, no deal has been signed.
Brett Rogers Wants Alistair Overeem To Defend The Strikeforce Belt-Or Surrender It
Perhaps echoing the opinion of quite a few people, Brett Rogers said on Monday's edition of Pro MMA Radio that either Strikeforce Heavyweight Champion Alistair Overeem should defend the belt soon and quite making excuses or just give it up. Rogers goes on about how Overeem is always complaining about something and also thinks Overeem is ducking "The Grim".
Cristiane Santos Probably Off 11/7 Strikeforce Event
Cristiane Santos wants to defend her Strikeforce Women's Championship and SF wants it to happen on November 7 on CBS. Looks like it won't happen then. Santos' manager says she is likely off the show because of an injury and has not yet been cleared by doctors. A decision should be known in a few days.
Jesse Taylor plans Nov. 6 return on main card of "Strikeforce Challengers" event
After a disappointing August debut for Strikeforce, former "The Ultimate Fighter 7" finalist Jesse Taylor (13-4) is apparently set for a return trip to the California-based promotion. Taylor today posted on his Facebook account that he will return to action on the main card of Strikeforce's Nov. 6 "Challengers Series" event at Save Mart Center in Fresno, Calif.
Jay Hieron wants the Strikeforce belt - is Nick Diaz ready to step up?
“I really, really want my next fight to be for a title. I’ve worked my butt off and I feel I really deserve a title shot. That’s why I signed with Strikeforce to get a title shot. I could have went straight to the UFC. They were offering the same money, but at the end of the day, I wanted to pursue my dream of becoming a world champion and the quickest way to do that was Strikeforce. Like I said, I would like my next shot to be for the title; if not against Diaz, then against somebody else. I can’t wait for this guy nor can I control what he does. It is what it is man. I just want my title shot and what I signed with these guys for. I don’t want to keep fighting these non-title fights because that’s not what I came here for. I fought my last fight and I proved myself and now we have to sit at the table and see what’s going on. Hopefully Nick Diaz can get his **** together and we can get out there and mix it up. I think that’s a great fight, not just for me and him, but for the fans too.” Former IFL standout Jay Hieron tells the gang over at FightHype.com that he’s ready for the Strikeforce welterweight title — which is the lone reason he signed with the San Jose-based promotion.
Former Chute Boxe Trainer Helping Prepare Rogers for Fedor
Former Chute Boxe Academy striking trainer Sérgio Cunha has been enlisted to coach Brett Rogers in his Nov. 7 bid against the world’s No. 1 heavyweight, Fedor Emelianenko, at Strikeforce “Fedor vs. Rogers.” Cunha has relocated to Minneapolis with his wife and children for three months to work with the undefeated Rogers. The muay Thai instructor is impressed with the progress thus far.
Herschel Walker challenges Dana White to fight, forgets to plug Strikeforce on ESPN2
To the casual sports fan, Herschel Walker's appearance on today's edition of "ESPN First Take" was probably a bit confusing. On ESPN2's daily morning sports show, the 47-year-old NFL veteran championed mixed martial arts and made some boastful claims about his talent level – but forgot to mention a single time that he had been signed by Strikeforce. Instead, the conversation mostly focused on the UFC and Walker's open challenge to fight company president Dana White.
Roger Gracie hints at possible November 20 Strikeforce card
While there is no news currently available that a Strikeforce event may be in the works for November 20, recently signed heavyweight Roger Gracie may have let the cat out of the bag. In a recent interview with Tatame.com the decorated Brazlian Jiu-Jitsu black belt had this to say, “I have plans to fight, maybe on November 20. I still don’t have an opponent, but if my knee is good and I could train until then, I think there’s a lot of chances of me to fight until this day“.
Alistair Overeem,Fabricio Werdum Won't Add Interest With Weekend Performances
The past weekend's array of combative sports' action offered many fans a look into two of MMA's most influential pieces to a fighter's skill-set. Not only were fans treated to seeing some of the most devastating kickboxers in the world at the K-1 World Grand Prix 2009 Final 16 event in Seoul, South Korea, but MMA fans were also given the opportunity to view the Abu Dhabi Combat Club world grappling tournament that featured a plethora of well-known mixed martial arts fighters. While the arguments are that both Werdum and Overeem have added some interest to bouts with Fedor due to their wins this weekend, I think Overeem only gained the potential to add a lot of interest down the road while Werdum didn't add any interest to a showdown.
Gegard Mousasi Blog: “My next fight will be in November”
After my win on Babulu, I’ve noticed that I have gotten more American fans. A lot of people didn’t know me but winning against the favorite in Babulu gave me extra attention. There were some people that weren’t convinced yet but I’m happy to show them my ability. I like to read all the great reactions and that people believe in me. It really motivates me and I feel I’m just making my entrance. I still have a long road to go. In November my second fight for Strikeforce will take place but my opponent is not been determent . I heard some rumors like Kevin Randleman , Paulo Filho and Mike Whitehead . Whitehead would be the most logical pick because he recently won against Randleman. I’ve also heard a rumor that Arona is fighting again and it would be great if Strikeforce can pick him up. We can use a new light heavyweight fighter. For now, I am just just concentrating on myself. On this level everybody is a threat in a fight. It’s better to look at yourself instead of your opponent.