StrikeForce News - Page 60
Do you have a hot MMA story or news item that you have found and would like to share? Simply read the instructions, then post it to our MMA News Share Forum to have it display here for the community to read on this page.
Exclusive: Jeff Curran vs. Sam Thao set for “Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Rogers"
A bantamweight showdown between Jeff Curran and Sam Thao has been set for “Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Rogers“. The event is set for November 7 from the Sears Centre in Hoffman Estates, IL., airing live on CBS. The bout between Curran and Thao will take place as part of the preliminary portion of the card.
Mousasi talks about prospect of facing Dan Henderson in Strikeforce
Gegard Mousasi (26-2-1) believes the prospect of Dan Henderson joining Strikeforce is an interesting one, but he is in no hurry to face the former PRIDE double-champion. “I think if he would join Strikeforce that there are plenty of good match-ups for him, he would bring a lot of excitement with him,” he told Fighters Only tonight following days of speculation in the MMA media regarding Henderson possibly jumping the UFC ship. And he added with a laugh, “I personally wouldn’t like to fight him, because if I fight a high-calibre fighter like Dan Henderson or a bum I would get paid the same, so there isn’t any motivation to fight a better fighter - although for the right money I would fight even Godzilla.”
Curran moves on, signs 2 fights for Strikeforce
Former World Extreme Cagefighting bantamweight Jeff Curran has fought for just about every major fight promotion in the world: WEC, UFC, Pride, IFL, King of the Cage. He’s about to add another to the list... Strikeforce. Curran on Tuesday confirmed to MMAWeekly.com that he has signed a two-fight, non-exclusive contract with Strikeforce. His first bout for the promotion will be on the preliminary card for the Nov. 7 “Fedor vs. Rogers” event in his backyard of Chicago.
Showtime to Air Fedor Emelianenko vs. Brett Rogers 'Fight Camp 360' Special
Despite the fact that the Brett Rogers vs. Fedor Emelianenko fight will not be airing on Showtime, the premium cable network obviously still has a lot invested in the heavyweight bout, and it is putting it's promotional muscle behind it. On this week's edition of The MMA Hour, which will be presented later this week at MMA FanHouse, Rogers mentioned that an episode of Showtime's new Fight Camp 360 series is being produced about the fight, and it will air around a week before the CBS telecast on Nov. 7. When contacted by FanHouse, Showtime officials would only say that an announcement regarding the show's air date would be coming soon.
Can CBS bring Fedor to the masses?
The new CBS commercial featuring Fedor Emelianenko drew a mixed reaction from the MMA faithful this week – a slick product, yes, but late in the game. The 33-year-old Emelianenko, who faces heavyweight hopeful Brett Rogers Nov. 7 at Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Rogers on CBS, has been the people’s champion for legions of fans who live and breathe the sport. Most of them, however, know that those outside their circle will spell success or failure for the network event. CBS had some of both when they promoted three MMA cards last year under the banner of the now-defunct EliteXC. The first and last events, bolstered by Kimbo Slice and Gina Carano, were unqualified ratings triumphs. The second, void of fighters with crossover appeal, drew poorly. Advertising for the Strikeforce event began a little over a month ago, leading many to question the network’s commitment to the promotion, and by proxy, the sport. CBS Senior Executive Vice President Kelly Kahl said his network will put its best foot forward in the buildup to Nov. 7, but asked the faithful to help CBS hit a home run. “MMA fans seem to seek a greater acceptance, and nothing helps better than calling your friends and saying ‘you’ve got to check this out,’” he said. The network ran several 10-second spots for the event during the past two weekends of NFL coverage, the first salvo in what Kahl said was the start of a comprehensive campaign. He said the network was assembling footage for new promotional spots and said the volume – and scope – of advertising would be increasing shortly, expanding to cable, radio, and the web.
Ninja turns down DREAM fight to help Shogun, negotiating with Strikeforce
Murilo ‘Ninja’ Rua has turned down a fight at DREAM 12 in Japan because he is helping his brother Shogun (Mauricio Rua) prepare for his title shot against Lyoto Machida in the UFC. Like his light-heavyweight brother, middleweight Ninja was a star of PRIDE FC but lost his way somewhat after the organisation folded. But his last outing was a return to form, as he KO’d Alex Stiebling in 45 seconds at Bitetti Combat in Brazil last month. "I would fight, but I better not because I am helping my brother for his fight in the UFC," Ninja told Tatame. "He is well, very focused, and goes in search of victory."
Alistair Overeem Doesn't Have Time For Brett Rogers & His Bullcrap
Alistair Overeem's latest excuse for not responding to criticism recently? He's too busy. That, according to comments he made to a Polish MMA website, is why he will not respond to recent comments by Brett Rogers claiming Overeem is ducking fighting him. Overeem said he's "very busy with training and fighting and doesn't have time for this BS".
Strikeforce Wants Champs to Defend 2 Times a Year
One of the most attractive benefits for fighters signing with Strikeforce at the moment is the promotion’s open-door policy regarding non-exclusive contracts with the Japanese market. Newly acquired Strikeforce fighters like Antonio Silva and Muhammed “King Mo” Lawal have either active contracts or relations with promotions in Japan. Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker has taken a surprisingly fighter friendly stance when it comes to contract exclusivity, as other promotions, like the UFC, continue to demand it.
Strikeforce Wants To Unify Titles With Dream
Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker on Wednesday said that his promotion is ready to take the leap forward and do something that has rarely been attempted in major mixed martial arts promotions, unifying titles across promotions. It’s something that he would like to pursue with Japanese promoter Dream. Though it’s often been discussed by various promotions, Strikeforce and Dream already have an official fighter sharing partnership in place, so it would be less of a stretch for the two to come to some sort of agreement on unification bouts. Coker announced the alliance between Strikeforce and Dream in early August, just after tapping Dream’s Mitsuhiro Ishida to come to the U.S. and challenge Gilbert Melendez for the Strikeforce interim lightweight championship. He likened the agreement to the post-season in Major League Baseball, where teams from different leagues compete to declare the top team in the sport. In actuality, Coker has been sharing fighters with Dream for quite some time, but once Strikeforce signed Fedor Emelianenko to a multi-fight contract, the two promotions decided to make the alliance more official. The formal partnership could now lead to the title unification bouts, and Coker is ready for that next step...
Coker: Overeem Will Defend Title Early Next Year
During a media call today, Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker fielded a variety of questions, including when we'll see Strikeforce Havyweight Champion Alistair Overeem defend the title for the first time since winning it in '07. Coker was adamant in getting the defense to happen, saying we'll see Overeem back in SF in early '10, probably in February or March.
Antonio Silva: To get to Fedor, Fabricio Werdum must be eliminated
“Werdum is a good fighter, very experienced, cautious with good jiu-jitsu. He is famed among Strikeforce heavyweights and I want to be between the best ones to get the chance to fight Fedor, so I have to look for a knockout or a submission victory over him. I have improved my stand-up game in the past two years. I’m more confident, moving better, kicking and punching harder. I’m ready for any circumstance that may come up because my ground game is also very sharpened. It’s a fight and anything can happen, but I don’t see Rogers knocking out or submitting Fedor, despite his heavy hands. If you observe, he goes towards the opponent with his guard opened and Fedor hits very well in the short distance. I will be rooting for Fedor to keep winning.” Former Elite XC heavyweight champion Antonio Silva (13-1) heads back to the United States to challenge Strikeforce heavyweight contender Fabricio Werdum at the Nov. 7 “Fedor vs. Rogers” event from the Sears Centre in Hoffman Estates, Illinois.
'King Mo' signs with Strikeforce
Muhammad "King Mo'' Lawal has signed a multi-fight deal with Strikeforce and could make his promotional debut as early as December, according to a source with knowledge of the negotiations. The deal allows the undefeated Lawal, a NCAA Div. 1 All-American wrestling champion for Oklahoma State in 2003 and decorated international competitor, to continue competing on the Japanese circuit. There, the 28-year-old heavyweight has made a name for himself with four straight victories in the Sengoku Raiden Championship (formerly Sengoku) over the last year. Three of those wins have come by stoppage from strikes, while Lawal’s only decision came after he tore his ACL in the first round of his match with Ryo Kawamura at Sengoku “Seventh Battle” last March.
Rafael "Feijao" Cavalcante vs. Aaron Rosa targeted for "Strikeforce Challengers" on Nov. 20
A light heavyweight contest between Rafael "Feijao" Cavalcante (7-2) and Aaron Rosa (12-2) is the works for the televised portion of Strikeforce's "Challengers Series" event on Nov. 20 in Kansas City, Kan. Fighters.com was the first to report the potential contest, and MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has since learned from sources close to the event that verbal agreements are in place, though bout agreements have yet to be distributed.
Report: John Kolosci vs. Shamar Bailey set for "Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Rogers" prelims
"With the main card set, Strikeforce is now busy filling out the preliminary card of its Nov. 7 event, "Fedor vs. Rogers." The Northwest Indiana Times is reporting Shamar Bailey (9-1) vs. John Kolosci (10-5) is the latest addition to the quickly filling non-televised portion of the card." I hope this is true, always glad to see TUF almuni fight.
Mousasi-Sokoudjou Joins Strikeforce CBS Show
Gegard Mousasi and Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou have agreed to meet in a light heavyweight non-title bout at Strikeforce “Fedor vs. Rogers” on Nov. 7 at the Sears Centre Arena in Hoffmann Estates, Ill., Sherdog.com has confirmed through multiple sources. If approved by the Illinois Boxing Commission, the three-round bout will be one of four fights televised live on CBS during the promotion’s debut on the major broadcast network. Mousasi earned the Strikeforce light heavyweight title with a first-round technical knockout over Renato “Babalu” Sobral at Strikeforce “Carano vs. Cyborg” on Aug. 15 in San Jose, Calif. The bout was the 24-year-old Armenian-Dutch fighter’s first at 205 pounds, as well as his debut fight in the U.S. Mousasi was the Dream middleweight champion before he relinquished his title to move up a weight division.
Report: Toughill vs. Coenen Set As 11/7 SF "Reserve Fight"
Perhaps continuing a trend from the last event on TV, Strikeforce is reportedly finalizing Erin Toughill vs. Marloes Coenen in not only a fight for a possible shot at Women's Champion Cristiane Santos, but as a "reserve fight" for CBS. It's currently slated to be a prelim and may not air, but if a main card fight falls through before the show this one likely will be promoted to TV as a replacement.
Injured "Cyborg" passes on Strikeforce
Cristiane "Cyborg" Santos will not be able to defend her 145-pound women’s title on Nov. 7 at the Sears Centre Arena in Hoffmann Estates, Ill., Sherdog.com has confirmed with the promotion. Santos, who was named as a strong possibility for the CBS-televised event, injured her shoulder while competing at the 2009 Abu Dhabi World Submission Grappling Championships on Sept. 27 in Barcelona, Spain. The 24-year-old Brazilian placed third in her division during the world-caliber event.
Werdum Could Face Antonio Silva On 11/7 SF Event
In a recent interview with the TATAME website, Fabricio Werdum said he could be facing former EliteXC Heavyweight Antonio Silva at the 11/7 Strikeforce event. Werdum says they agreed to the fight but he feels it might not happen due to his thinking Silva will fight again for Sengoku, but Werdum's manager thinks it'll happen on 11/7.
Overeem "wants Fedor fight in 2010"
Despite pulling out of a scheduled Strikeforce event recently, and being surrounded by rumours that he no longer wants to fight for the organisation, Strikeforce heavyweight champion Alistair Overeem says he is hoping for a fight with Fedor Emelianenko some time in 2010. “Yes, I have wanted to fight Fedor for some time. I hope this fight happens in some event in 2010,” he told Brazilian MMA site Planet Tatami.
Almost healthy, Joe Riggs just wants to fight
Joe Riggs is itching to get back into the cage. The Strikeforce welterweight is healthy, or mostly healthy, since his release from an Arizona hospital in mid-August following an adverse reaction to anti-depressant withdrawal. Riggs has taken Effexor since seventh grade and was advised by a homeopathic doctor to discontinue its use. When he did in late July, his body went into shock.