Strikeforce's "JZ" Cavalcante unsure about future, concerned about MMA judging
SAN JOSE, Calif. – Lightweight Gesias "JZ" Cavalcante was sure he'd done enough to earn a decision victory over Josh Thomson at this past Saturday's "Strikeforce: Diaz vs. Noons 2" event.
Instead, Thomson earned a unanimous-decision victory, and though two judges scored it 29-28, one judge surprisingly gave him all three rounds.
"When they said 30-27, I said, 'Come on, that's complete bull [expletive],'" Cavalcante told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) afterward.
"Everybody keeps telling me I won," he added. "I feel like I won the first and the third round. But I have to watch the tape."
WWE's David Bautista Wants Multi-Fight SF Deal, Early 2011 Debut
Former pro wrestler David Bautista (known as Batista in WWE) is still very much interested in fighting in mixed martial arts. The heavyweight took in this past Saturday's "Strikeforce: Diaz vs. Noons II" event in support of MMA mentor Nick Diaz and said that talks with the San Jose, Calif.-based promotion are ongoing, though a deal is "not even close to done." If all goes well, however, Bautista hopes to be in the Strikeforce cage by March 2011. As for fighting in a cage for real, the entertainer said he needs between eight and 10 weeks to prepare for a fight and is ready to begin training full-time in January 2011 after he fulfills his obligations to a pair of movie projects. Other than that, he said, it's about reaching an agreement with Strikeforce on money and the number of fights on his contract. "My thing is I want to do a multi-fight deal," he said. "I want to have a guarantee of at least three fights. I want a tune-up fight, I want a big fight, and I want a pay-per-view fight."
Nearing 50, Renaissance jock Herschel Walker breaks fitness rules
(CNN) -- Javier Mendez, a mixed martial arts trainer for 32 years, scoffed when he heard that retired NFL star Herschel Walker, who's nearing 50, wanted to compete in ultimate fighting. "Yeah, I didn't think he could do it," Mendez said. "I thought it was a joke." Walker had been out of football for 12 years. Aging football players tend to get flabby, play golf or relive the spotlight under "Dancing With the Stars."
Bobby Lashley's Strikeforce Contract Has Expired
According to Dave Meltzer on f4wonline.com, Bobby Lashley's contract has run out, but he still has an exclusive negotiating period with Strikeforce before he can start talking to other MMA organizations that are interested in his services:
"Bobby Lashley’s contract has expired. Right now he’s in the exclusive negotiating period, meaning he can’t talk to anyone else in MMA, although his Strikeforce deal does allow him to do pro wrestling and he always expressed interest in going back..."
Diaz-Miller Rivalry Continues At SF, Coker Open To Fight
There nearly was another brawl at last night's Strikeforce event, but this time we wouldn't have seen it because it was backstage. Nick Diaz & Jason Miller nearly came to blows after last night's event and had to be separated by Showtime officials. Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker said Diaz needs rest following a unanimous decision victory over K.J. Noons in this past Saturday's event, but he's not opposed to a grudge match between the welterweight champion and "Bully Beatdown" host. According to a source who witnessed the scene, Diaz and Miller locked eyes while passing each other in the hallway between the dressing rooms and the pressroom as the post-event press conference took place. Words were exchanged, and Diaz allegedly threw a water bottle at Miller. The two were immediately broken up by members of their respective camps and Showtime officials. A Showtime official later confirmed the incident with MMAjunkie but downplayed its significance. Coker reacted with surprise when told of the near-scuffle following the press conference. While he pointed to a different path for Diaz during the meeting – Diaz could meet either the winner of a Dec. 4 bout between Scott Smith and Paul Daley or perhaps Brazilian brawler Evangelista "Mr. Cyborg" Santos – he isn't opposed to having the rivals settle their score inside the Strikeforce cage.
Strikeforce Working On Melendez-Aoki Rematch
Gilbert Melendez has been on “Daddy Daycare Duty” as of late, but all signs point to him returning to competition in short order... it’s just a matter of settling upon who and where. Speculation has centered on the Strikeforce lightweight champion making the trip to Japan to face Dream champion Shinya Aoki on New Year’s Eve. Far from cementing a rematch between the two titleholders, Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker did say that bout is a likely scenario. “That is not confirmed, but it is something that (Dream has) said that they would like to have happen if possible, so we're having that dialogue,” he said at Saturday night’s post-fight press conference in San Jose, Calif. If it doesn't work out, the likely Plan B is Melendez-Josh Thomson 3.
Coker: No More SF On CBS In 2010
Strikeforce's ambitious expansion plans took a major hit last night when CEO Scott Coker revealed after last night's event that there will be no more events on CBS this year. Coker didn’t comment on the particulars on Saturday night following Diaz vs. Noons II, but he did confirm that CBS is still on ice and will remain so for the remainder of the year. He deflected talk away from any friction between the promotion and CBS, saying, “We're working on a couple of things with them, one being the DVD. We're working on another type of product with them, as well as getting back on the air next year, but it definitely is shelved until 2011.” But the post-event brawl on the last CBS card involving Jake Shields & Jason Miller may have been a partial factor.
Fedor? Overeem? Werdum? Scott Coker "Going To Put These Fights Together" In 2011
Among others, and he says expect to hear something in the next 4 weeks. "One thing I can tell you is all these guys … Alistair, Fedor, Fabricio, Josh Barnett, ‘Bigfoot’ (Antonio Silva), (Sergei) Kharitonov, Andrei Arlovski, Brett Rogers, all those guys are all going to fight each other in 2011. We’re not going to hold anything back. You’re going to see these guys fight the toughest guys because really, if you’re a heavyweight, there are no easy fights in Strikeforce. It’s arguably the best heavyweight division in the world, and I think Josh Barnett said it best. The competition is here. He signed with us because he wants to fight all those guys. We’re going to put those fights together, and I think the fans are going to love it."
Johnson vs. Zwicker, Olsen vs. Budd official for Strikeforce Challengers 11
A heavyweight bout between Lavar Johnson (10-0 MMA, 6-0 SF) and Virgil Zwicker (8-1 MMA, 0-0 SF) is set for this month's Strikeforce Challengers 11 event.
So, too, is a women's 145-pound matchup between unbeaten Shana Olsen (4-0 MMA, 0-0 SF) and Canadian Muay Thai champion Julia Budd (0-0 MMA, 0-0 UFC), officials recently announced.
Strikeforce Challengers 11 takes place Oct. 22 at the Save Mart Center in Fresno, Calif., and the night's main card airs on Showtime.
Strikeforce's Tyron Woodley Plots 'Dominant' Win, Contender Status
Tyron Woodley is a man with a double life.
By day, he's an anonymous full-time student chasing a Master's degree in public administration from Southern Illinois University Edwardsville. By night, he is an undefeated rising star in the Strikeforce welterweight division.
It's a scenario that inevitably lends itself to the occasional distraction.
"Sometimes I'm in class thinking, 'I'm ready to go. I've been here for three hours and I need to get out of here,'" he said. "My classmates are debating public policy or budget reform or insurance issues, and all I'm thinking about is punching somebody in the face."
Yet the 28-year-old Woodley is equally passionate about both of his goals with the same hope of inspiring the younger generation.
Nick Diaz Still Trying to Finish What He Started With K.J. Noons
It's a sunny Saturday afternoon in Lodi, Calif., and Nick Diaz isn't taking any steps backwards. Not today. For five rounds of boxing, forward seems to be the only direction the Strikeforce welterweight champion knows. It doesn't matter what you're throwing at him. He's going head first, full speed ahead until you make him stop or kill yourself trying.
"Straight down the middle, that's it!" shouts Diaz's boxing coach, Richard Perez.
With his snow-white hair and gregarious disposition, Perez is a little like Santa Claus in a sleeveless t-shirt. He leans against the cage and shouts more encouragement than instruction as Diaz bulls his way forward against a series of smaller, quicker sparring partners. They come bouncing in and go dragging out in rotating shifts. Perez tells them to circle. That's what "this guy" will do, he says.
"Strikeforce MMA" three-event DVD hits stores on Oct. 12
Strikeforce's first-ever DVD release hits store shelves on Oct. 12.
"Strikeforce MMA," a two-disc offering with nearly six hours of content, features preliminary- and main-card fights from three of the organization's 2010 events.
They include "Strikeforce: Heavy Artillery," "Strikeforce: Los Angeles" and "Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Werdum." Famed Strikeforce heavyweight Fedor Emelianenko graces the cover with Alistair Overeem and Robbie Lawler.
In addition to the Showtime-televised events, the discs, which retail for $29.99 in the U.S. (and $34.99 in Canada), also include fighter interviews and other exclusive content.
Fabricio Werdum Prefers 2011 Rematch With Fedor, Not Alistair Overeem
That's according to his manager, Richard Wilner, who feels Fedor deserves a rematch now more than the SF Heavyweight Champion does. "He's still undergoing physical therapy, and physical therapy is more intense than one might imagine, and it includes a number of plyometric exercises and weightlifting. He started light training about 10 days ago, so he's progressing remarkably.... Be it against Alistair (Overeem) for the belt, although Fabricio's already beaten Alistair, so some may see that as a step back, although Alistair is a completely different fighter now. By step back, we absolutely mean no disrespect to Alistair, we just mean that they fought before and while it was a long time ago, I don't even know if it would be considered a rematch, but if it was considered a rematch there's one guy out there that’s arguably deserving of a rematch more than Alistair, and that's Fedor (Emelianenko)."
Robbie Lawler vs. Matt Lindland signed for "Strikeforce: Henderson vs. Babalu"
A middleweight bout between Robbie Lawler (19-6 MMA, 1-2 SF) and Matt Lindland (22-7 MMA, 1-1 SF) has been signed for December's "Strikeforce: Henderson vs. Babalu" event.
Strikeforce spokesperson Mike Afromowitz today confirmed the matchup with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).
"Strikeforce: Henderson vs. Babalu" takes place Dec. 4 at the Scottrade Center in St. Louis, and the night's main card airs on Showtime.
Lawler vs. Lindland will be part of the televised main card.
Noons to Diaz: "Bring My Belt..."
Just under three years ago when K.J. Noons defeated Nick Diaz to win the EliteXC lightweight title, it appeared the young Hawaiian was on his way to becoming one of the best fighters in his weight class. A contract dispute, a company implosion, and a return to boxing derailed that ascent, but now with Strikeforce, Noons is perched to make another run at becoming one of the best in the world.
Funny enough, the fight that could get him to that spot once again is a championship bout against Nick Diaz.
Now the Strikeforce welterweight champion, Diaz has established himself as one of the best fighters on the planet, but he hasn't forgotten that Noons was the last fighter to put a loss on his record.
Coker: Silva-Overeem On December 4 Is Off
Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker, in an appearance on MMAJunkie Radio today, announced that a rumored Antonio Silva vs. Valentijn Overeem fight for December 4 in Strikeforce is not happening. The bout was first reported 2 weeks ago but Silva reportedly was never offered the fight. "We'll talk to (Silva manager) Alex Davis this week and figure out what's next," Coker said of "Silva's next appearance.
Why Isn't Dan Henderson Fighting On CBS?
The reason according to Hendo: CBS. "It wasn't [up to] me. I was wanting to get back in there pretty quickly, but I think part of the problem was CBS kind of a little bit faltering on their commitment to mixed martial arts, especially after the little escapade in the cage after my last fight on CBS. You know, I don't quite understand that and they're definitely still wanting to be involved in mixed martial arts and with Strikeforce, but I think they're just gonna take their time on it a little bit more. It is disappointing [to not fight on CBS again], and the fact that that could have been easily avoided with the guys not coming into the cage after my last fight. It just gave them an out. But I also think that if CBS had a big problem with it, they didn't need to put it on their Web site, didn't need to replay it a bunch of times. I don't know if they're trying to renegotiate or get a little bit more out of the door, but I think they're definitely still going to be on board. But that's kind of what they were waiting on. [Strikeforce] wanted me to be on the next CBS card and CBS took a while and finally [Strikeforce] just got tired of waiting. I thought I was going to fight two, three months ago, but that's the way it goes."