Del Rosario in car accident, Noons-Masvidal targeted for "Strikeforce: Overeem vs. Werdum"
Heavyweight Shane Del Rosario (11-0 MMA, 3-0 SF) has withdrawn from an upcoming bout with fellow prospect Daniel Cormier (7-0 MMA, 4-0 SF) following a car accident this past week, MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) today learned from sources close to the event.
A lightweight bout between K.J. Noons (9-2 MMA, 2-1 SF) and Jorge Masvidal (21-6 MMA, 2-0 SF) will likely take its place, according to a separate source.
Lots of fights falling apart today, damn. Hope Shane is alright.
Tim Kennedy: 'Give Me Robbie Lawler. Let Me Fight That Guy'
Strikeforce middleweight and former Special Forces sniper/Green Beret Tim Kennedy has a lot to be thankful for this week. As a man that has served in Afghanistan and personally looked for Osama Bin Laden, he is clearly happy that justice has been served. He has spoken about this on two different radio shows in the last two days, offering an obviously unique perspective - Steve Cofield's ESPN radio show, and Sirius XM Fight Club. He also has some stuff to say in regards to his next fight:(On the Cofield show, at 11:07 mark ):TK: "It's not 100% yet, but it looks like it's going to be at the end of July on the Dan Henderson/Fedor card, and I'm already gettin' in my training camp, gettin' ready to go, so for me, I'm fighting at the end of July. I just have to get somebody to say yes to fight me.
Strikeforce Challengers 16 set for June 24th in Washington with Ryan Couture
The next installment of the prospects-driven Strikeforce Challengers series is set for June 24.
The event, Strikeforce Challengers 16, is expected to take place at ShoWare Center in Kent, Wash., and it airs on Showtime. MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) today confirmed the plans with an event source.
As MMAFighting.com previously reported, Ryan Couture (2-0 MMA, 2-0 SF) is expected to fight on the card, and light heavyweights Lorenz Larkin (10-0 MMA, 1-0 SF) and Gian Villante (7-2 MMA, 0-1 SF) also are slated to match up.
Jason 'Mayhem' Miller Upset About Being Unaware Of Strikeforce, CBS Ban
May 3, 2011 - I've tried to be sober about criticism of Strikeforce. As an organization with limited financial or logistical capacity, I've found their shortcomings to be as real as they are understandable. However, there's nothing reasonable about the alleged treatment given to Jason Miller during his last year in the Strikeforce. While the controversial fighter and TV host certainly took it upon himself to squander good will from executives, that's a very different concern than being properly informed of his marginalization.
Strikeforce Returning to Chicago Suburbs With Fedor Emelianenko vs. Dan Henderson
It appears as though Strikeforce will return to the Chicago area for the first time since the Fedor Emelianenko vs. Brett Rogers event. That event was fairly well received by the local crowd and there was an atmosphere that seemed to support the idea of Fedor as a superstar. This is valuable since the rumor is that Fedor's next fight will be on the show. Via MMA Junkie:
Multiple sources close to negotiations today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that Strikeforce has earmarked July 30 for a major Showtime-televised event, putting on hold plans for a pay-per-view event.
However, a heavyweight superfight between Fedor Emelianenko and current Strikeforce light-heavyweight champion Dan Henderson, which has been rumored as the headliner to a potential pay-per-view card, is still in advanced negotiations and could headline the late summer event.
A location for the Showtime event has yet to be confirmed, though the Sears Centre in Chicago has surfaced as one possible locale.
Cung Le Says He Won't Be Fighting in 2011
In an ESPN story, former Strikeforce middleweight champion Cung Le discussed his future in MMA and it didn't exactly sound too promising. With his acting career going ahead full speed, it doesn't look like there will be any time for the almost 39-year-old Le to step into a Strikeforce (or UFC) cage any time in the near future. In fact, he actually deemed a 2011 return "impossible":
Le says for him to continue fighting it would have "to be soon because the clock is ticking." Yet when asked if that means it would happen in 2011 he says, "that would be impossible" due to his demanding work load.
"I’m doing well right now being in the films," Le said. "A lot of people are telling me, 'you should just retire, you’re not going to fight.' Other people are saying 'you got to fight.' You can’t make everybody happy."
Georges St. Pierre vs Nick Diaz hurdles exist but UFC president open to idea
TORONTO – The UFC's current crop of welterweights has little to offer, and with a super fight with middleweight champion Anderson Silva apparently unlikely, what's next for 170-pound titleholder Georges St-Pierre?
It was the big question after St-Pierre's decisive but heavily panned decision victory over Jake Shields in Saturday's UFC 129 main event.
But UFC president Dana White has a potential solution: a fight with Strikeforce welterweight champion Nick Diaz.
Dana White admits hands may be tied with Nick Diaz's boxing aspirations
TORONTO – Boxing is looking better than ever for Nick Diaz.
Two weeks after the Strikeforce welterweight champion's manager announced the fighter would take a break from MMA for a high-profile pro-boxing fight, the UFC appears receptive to the idea.
Of course, the boxing match is in Diaz's current contract.
"What I'm going to do is I'm going to sit down with Nick," UFC president Dana White today said. "I like the Diaz brothers. I'm going to sit down with him, and we'll figure out what he wants to do."
Cesar Gracie: Showtime snub led to Jason "Mayhem" Miller's deal with UFC
There's a reason fans didn't see Jason "Mayhem" Miller vs. Nick Diaz or Miller vs. Tim Kennedy, and it has nothing to do with weight or scheduling.
According to Diaz's trainer Cesar Gracie, the move of "Mayhem" from Strikeforce to the UFC was based in part on Showtime's disinterest in putting him on the premium-cable channel.
I don't buy this at all.
Tyron Woodley Still a Fight or Two Away From Challenging Nick Diaz in Strikeforce
The welterweight division in Strikeforce is looking for a new contender to challenge Nick Diaz whenever he’s ready to do MMA again. The man who wants the job is former Missouri wrestler and 8-0 fighter Tyron Woodley.
Woodley is coming off a win over Tarec Saffiedine in January. He has been rising up the ranks ever since he started fighting back in early 2009.
Woodley sat cageside during the title fight between Nick Diaz and Paul Daley recently, with a close eye on the action, hoping to challenge the victor sometime soon.
First things first, Woodley will need to get another win or two. This is according to Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker, who believes Woodley has all the tools to present a serious challenge to Diaz, but just not right now.
Jason 'Mayhem' Miller Signs With UFC
Jason "Mayhem" Miller is going back to the UFC.
The popular middleweight has signed a new multi-fight agreement with the organization, Miller's manager Ryan Parsons confirmed with MMA Fighting.
The 30-year-old Miller (24-7, 1 NC) was able to sign with the UFC due to the fact that his contract with Strikeforce had expired. No word just yet on when his first fight back inside the Octagon will take place.
"Mayhem" had not competed for Strikeforce since last April when he defeated Tim Stout on the undercard of Strikeforce: Nashville. He went on to defeat one of his MMA idols, Kazushi Sakuraba, at DREAM.16 in September, which stands as his last fight to date.
He was close to returning to action against the likes of Nick Diaz and Tim Kennedy, but for various reasons, some even still unknown, those fights never materialized.
The star of MTV's Bully Beatdown last fought for the UFC in 2005 when he dropped a unanimous decision to Georges St-Pierre. Two years later, Miller returned to Zuffa, defeating Hiromitsu Miura via unanimous decision at WEC 27.
Miller was a guest on a recent episode of The MMA Hour, and he appeared excited at the prospect of facing some of the UFC's best middleweights.
"I will beat the brakes off most of the guys in the middleweight divisions in the UFC," he said. "I guaran-damn-tee it."
Gilbert Melendez’s Next Opponent Will Be from Strikeforce, Not UFC
Gilbert Melendez impressed everybody last weekend with his first-round drubbing of former Pride and Dream fighter Tatsuya Kawajiri to solidify his place among the best lightweights in the world.
Following a year layoff, Melendez came back guns blazing and didn’t stop until Kawajiri was finished. In the end, he laid claim to the top of the lightweight mountain.
Now comes the interesting part of finding the next opponent for Melendez.
Rumors started circling right after his fight with Kawajiri that the UFC was thinking about bringing in a title contender to face Melendez next. Names like Jim Miller started popping up right away, but it appears that fight or any cross-promotional fight won’t be Melendez’s next title defense.
Coker: No Discussion of Miller-Melendez Title Fight
Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker said Monday that a rumored matchup between Strikeforce lightweight champion Gilbert Melendez and UFC contender Jim Miller is just that: a rumor.
“There’s going to be a lot of rumors flying back and forth, around fights and what’s going to happen, but they’re not based on fact,” Coker said during a “Savage Dog Show” interview. “They’re just based on rumors and people just trying to start a story or keep legs on the story. The truth is there has not been any dialogue on that.”
However, Coker does believe his champion will eventually meet opposition from the UFC.
JZ Cavalcante: DREAM hasn't paid me, Strikeforce is all talk
Marcelo Barone: How’s the situation with Dream? Did they give you any response to your complaints about not being paid?
JZ Cavalcante: Not so far. My manager called them, but nobody respond, nobody answers. It’s disrespectful, the guys disappeared. The situation in Japan’s not good, because of the tsunami, but it’s no excuse, because it’s been a year. They should, at least, answer me, because there’re people saying they plan to produce another event.
MB: Do you intend to start a lawsuit so you’ll get paid?
JZ: I’m considering, I’m looking for a lawyer, trying to find another agency in Japan, somebody from there, who’s closer to it, so that I can get this cleared up.
MB: What do you think about this MMA market crash in Japan? Does that surprise you?
JZ: Over the years, after 2007, I realized it’ll all the same thing. I guess Japan didn’t keep up with MMA’s boom, its professionalization. The guys from Ultimate are much different than the guys in Japan, that schedule you to fight at the last minute, with two or three weeks in advance. It’s hard to promote the event that way… I realized that, if they didn’t change its concept, and started to think world wildly, it’d happen, like it did.
MB: And how are things with Strikeforce now?
JZ: Not good at all. They’ve been promising me a fight since December and every month they say the same thing: that I’ll be on their next card, next month… Meanwhile they’ve offered me two bouts with five days in advance and I asked them sometime to think about it. They called me in the morning and I asked them to give an answer in the evening. Then, when I called them, they have found someone already, and they didn’t tell me anything, they didn’t call me… I hope that with Strikeforce’s purchase, its organization will improve, and also its structure.
Hendo Says No to 220, Will Fight Fedor at Heavyweight
When Dan Henderson tweeted a link to the above video interview with his boys at Clinch Gear Radio earlier today and promised it contained the “real deal” about his potential fight with Fedor Emelianenko, we didn’t exactly expect a bombshell. Didn’t get one, either, as Hendo and Co. spend most of the 10:45 talking about the Zuffa, LLC acquisition of Strikeforce and his light heavyweight title victory over Rafael Feijao. When the topic does finally turn to the rumored superfight with Emelianenko, Henderson says he’d be all for it, with one sort of surprising caveat: He says he wouldn’t take the fight if it is offered to him at 220-pounds.