StrikeForce News - Page 14
Do you have a hot MMA story or news item that you have found and would like to share? Simply read the instructions, then post it to our MMA News Share Forum to have it display here for the community to read on this page.
Gilbert Melendez Says He has Done More Than Ben Henderson to Earn Title Shot
"I don't feel like I shouldn't be in this position, I'm not crying about my position but I think I've done more than Ben Henderson," told Fighting Famous TV. "You know, these guys were on The Ultimate Fighter - I was already fighting in PRIDE and ranked top three in the world but some people just don't understand that. "I'm not trying to be a cry baby again, but I just know my history and I've been there. I've already hit these bumps in the road and come back. Some of these guys haven't hit that bump in the road where they have to reinvent themselves and I've already hit that and they're still going to hit that." - Gilbert Melendez
I Take On Bloody Elbow's Shoddy Journalism About Miesha Tate In An Article Of My Own
You have to love a journalist that fails to do their due diligence. Bloody Elbow’s Brent Brookhouse recently wrote an article about Gilbert Melendez and Cristiane “Cyborg” Santos being the new “face” of Strikeforce, but in his article he “quoted,” and I use the term loosely, Miesha Tate. Brookhouse asserts “Tate said something that made no sense to me when she insisted that if women's MMA needs a ‘face’ that it means that the sport will never make it. That's an incredible detachment from the reality of combat sports.” The entire article can be found below.
Strikeforce Heavyweight Division to be Eliminated Following Grand Prix Finals and 'One More Fight'
Moments ago on the Strikeforce media call to announce the new Showtime deal, it was announced that Strikeforce will be doing away with the heavyweight division in the near future. The way that the set-up is sounds as though Josh Barnett and Daniel Cormier will meet in the Strikeforce Grand Prix finals and the winner will fight one more time against a (as it was put) "top heavyweight contender." After that fight, the heavyweight division will be eliminated in the promotion with fighters presumably moving to the UFC based on the promotion's desire. UFC president Dana White said on the call that the division just is not deep enough to have it in both promotions and they will instead focus on the other classes and women's MMA.
Strikeforce and Showtime announce new deal with eight events and televised prelims
As expected Strikeforce and Showtime have inked a new deal that will keep the Zuffa-owned fight promotion on the premium-cable station. Officials today the deal, which calls for up to eight events, though no timeframe was disclosed for the shows. As part of the deal, main-card bouts will continue to air on Showtime, and preliminary-card fights now will be broadcast on sister channel Showtime Extreme. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed. Officials suggested that events no longer will be held under the Strikeforce Challengers brand. The deal kicks off with the Jan. 7 "Strikeforce: Rockhold vs. Jardine" event in Las Vegas, so all fights (prelims and main card) from the card will be televised in some form. Additionally, the event takes place during one of Showtime's free-preview weekends, which makes the channel available for free to more than 60 million households. As part of the announcement, officials stated that current Strikeforce fighters – including champions Gilbert Melendez, Luke Rochhold, Cristiane "Cyborg" Santos and Miesha Tate – will remain in Strikeforce. (Recently, some champions such as Nick Diaz, Dan Henderson and Alistair Overeem had been folded into the Zuffa-owned UFC.)
Jordan Mein vs. Tyron Woodley added to 'Strikeforce: Rockhold vs. Jardine'
An intriguing welterweight matchup between fast-rising prospect Jordan Mein (23-7 MMA, 1-0 SF) and undefeated contender Tyron Woodley (9-0 MMA, 7-0 SF) has been added to January's "Strikeforce: Rockhold vs. Jardine" event. Strikeforce officials today announced the new booking. Featuring a middleweight title fight between champion Luke Rockhold and UFC vet Keith Jardine, "Strikeforce: Rockhold vs. Jardine" takes place Jan. 7 at The Joint at Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Las Vegas. The night's main card, including Mein vs. Woodley, airs on Showtime. A former collegiate wrestler at the University of Missouri, Woodley turned to American Top Team to help guide his entrance into MMA. The results have been impressive to date with Woodley rattling off nine-straight wins to open his professional career. Woodley most recently fought at July's Strikeforce and M-1 Global co-promoted event, where "T-Wood" earned a decision win over dangerous slugger Paul Daley. Woodley also has defeated Tarec Saffiedine and Andre Galvao, among others, during his current run. Meanwhile, Canadian youngster Mein, just 21 years old, makes his second appearance under the Strikeforce banner. "Young Gun" debuted for the promotion in September and registered a TKO win over Brazilian slugger Evangelista "Cyborg" Santos. Mein currently is riding a six-fight win streak and is 10-1 in his past 11 overall fights.
Strikeforce Reborn! New Showtime Deal On Tap
It appears the ringing of the death knell for Strikeforce has been a little bit premature. UFC president Dana White on Thursday, following the UFC 140: Jones vs. Machida press conference, confirmed that Strikeforce is not going away. “That deal should be wrapped up any day now and then I’ll make the decisions on who goes where and what’s gonna happen,” White said during the press conference, alluding to a pending deal for Strikeforce to remain on Showtime. “We should no, hopefully, by Monday.” He later said that the deal is mostly complete, but they do need to finalize the details of the agreement with Showtime. As for what that means for the future of Strikeforce, White was more elusive, saying only that Strikeforce would survive and be operated as a separate promotion from the UFC. He indicated that there could be some format changes in how the promotion operates, but that those details weren’t yet ready for public consumption...
Strikeforce champ 'Cyborg' Santos considering 135; Coker OK with Tate-Rousey
If Strikeforce is able to renew a deal with Showtime and extend its run on the premium-cable station beyond February, no shortage of storylines is emerging for its female fighters. Two big ones came out today during a Strikeforce media call. For one, Strikeforce women's featherweight champion Cristiane "Cyborg" Santos is considering a move down to 135 pounds – a division that could soon see champ Miesha Tate take on fast-rising Olympian Ronda Rousey.
'Strikeforce: Rockhold vs. Jardine' adds Lawler-Amagov, Lawal-Larkin, Saffiedine-Stinson
Strikeforce's rumored Jan. 7 event is now official. The show, "Strikeforce: Rockhold vs. Jardine," features a middleweight title fight between champion Luke Rockhold (8-1 MMA, 7-0 SF) and Keith Jardine (17-9-2 MMA, 0-0-1 SF). Other bouts slated for the night's Showtime-televised main card include middleweights Robbie Lawler (18-8 MMA, 2-4 SF) vs. Adlan Amagov (9-1-1 MMA, 2-0 UFC), light heavyweights Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal (8-1 MMA, 3-1 SF) vs. Lorenz Larkin (12-0 MMA, 3-0 SF), and welterweights Tarec Saffiedine (11-3 MMA, 3-1 SF) vs. Tyler Stinson (22-7 MMA, 1-0 SF). The event takes place The Joint at Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Las Vegas. It's Strikeforce's first event of 2012.
Strikeforce heavyweight grand prix now expected to end in March
The hand Daniel Cormier broke on Antonio Silva's skull is taking its time to heal, and Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker today said the end of the promotion's heavyweight grand prix is waiting on that paw. "We'll take it on a week-by-week basis," Coker said. At the moment, the finals of the eight-man tournament are expected to late place in "late first quarter," or March. "That's the month that we're shooting for," he said. Coker said Cormier (9-0 MMA, 6-0 SF) is soon due back at the doctor for a follow-up visit. The fighter had a protective cast removed several weeks ago. Presumably, the fighter will receive a timeframe for when he can start hitting things and prepare for Josh Barnett (31-5 MMA, 1-0 SF), who awaits him in a five-round fight for the heavyweight-grand-prix belt.
Strikeforce CEO on Showtime renewal: 'I'm optimistic at this point'
Despite persistent rumors, Strikeforce hasn't completed a broadcast deal to remain on Showtime. But Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker today hinted at some progress with the premium-cable channel and suggested an announcement could be coming. "That's something we'll just have to wait and see," Coker said. "But I think things are going well, and I think we'll have something to announce soon." Coker today made the commitments as part of a medial call ahead of a Dec. 17 "Strikeforce: Melendez vs. Masvidal" event in San Diego. It's Strikeforce's final event of 2011, and a Jan. 7 event is slated to kick off 2012 in Las Vegas. However, the current two-year Strikeforce-Showtime deal expires in February, so barring a renewal, they could be the final ones on Showtime.
Muhammed 'King Mo' Lawal targeted for 'Strikeforce: Rockhold vs. Jardine'
former strikeforce light-heavyweight champion muhammed "king mo" lawal (8-1 mma, 3-1 sf) is back on a regular schedule. after an on-again, off-again stretch of activity courtesy of a knee injury, lawal is expected to make his second appearance since returning from his layoff when he fights at "strikeforce: rockhold vs. jardine."
Former Strikeforce light-heavyweight champion Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal (8-1 MMA, 3-1 SF) is back on a regular schedule. After an on-again, off-again stretch of activity courtesy of a knee injury, Lawal is expected to make his second appearance since returning from his layoff when he fights at "Strikeforce: Rockhold vs. Jardine."
Luke Rockhold to Defend Title Against Keith Jardine
Strikeforce middleweight champion Luke Rockhold is slated to defend his belt against former UFC veteran Keith Jardine on Jan. 7, MMA Fighting has confirmed with sources close to the fight. The title fight is expected to headline the organization's first event at the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino. Strikeforce has yet to officially announce the card or any fights signed for it as of Thursday evening.
Despite Not Being In The UFC Gilbert Melendez Thankfull For The Extra Attention(video)
Strikeforce lightweight champ Gilbert ‘El Niño’ Melendez (19-2) has campaigned for a shot in the Octagon like some of his former Strikeforce compatriots such as Nick Diaz, Jake Shields, Cung Le, and Dan Henderson. Even UFC president Dana White had talked about getting him into the UFC “asap”. That has yet to happen for Melendez but that doesn’t bother the Strikeforce champ who feels he is more popular now with all of the attention. ‘El Niño’ is set to defend his title next month on Dec. 17 against Jorge Masvidal at the upcoming Strikeforce: Melendez vs. Masvidal event in San Diego, California
Why Women's MMA Needs Miesha Tate vs. Ronda Rousey To Happen Now
Women's MMA can be a strange thing sometimes. It's a mix of some great talents, some inexperienced fighters, an internal conflict of selling sex vs. athleticism and a constant self-evaluation of where the sport is to date. That's why I've been so fascinated as to what's happened this week following Ronda Rousey's much-discussed victory at Strikeforce Challengers and the subsequent fallout from her post-fight callout of current 135-pound champion Miesha Tate. In case you missed it, Rousey (4-0) continued her dominant run with a 39-second armbar win over Julia Budd. In four fights, the 24-year-old Rousey has needed just over two minutes combined to garner four armbar submission wins. Following the win over Budd, she said she wanted Tate and would even fight top contender Sarah Kaufman first to prevent anything from messing that up.
Devin Cole vs. Gabriel Salinas-Jones added to 'Strikeforce: Melendez vs. Masvidal'
A heavyweight matchup between Devin Cole (19-9-1 MMA, 1-2 SF) and Gabriel Salinas-Jones (5-0-1 MMA, 1-0 SF) has been added to December's "Strikeforce: Melendez vs. Masvidal." MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) today confirmed with sources close to the fighters that both have verbally agreed to the matchup, and bout agreements are expected to be finalized shortly
Antonio 'Bigfoot' Silva Undergoes Shoulder Surgery
Tatame is reporting that Antonio "Bigfoot" Silva has gone under the knife. His manager told the site that it was an arthroscopic surgery to correct an injury suffered in his Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix bout with Daniel Cormier. Silva lost that bout via knockout, his first loss since dropping a decision to Fabricio Werdum in 2009.
Strikeforce Challengers 20 medical suspensions: Three fighters face long layoffs
Three fighters from this past weekend's Strikeforce Challengers 20 event face potential layoffs of six months. The list includes main-card fighters Lumumba Sayers and Julia Budd, as well as preliminary-card competitor Matt Ricehouse. MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) today obtained the list of medical suspensions from the Nevada State Athletic Commission.
Hendo and Shogun; Too much for TV? you decide!
SAN JOSE, Calif. – It's already earned praise as one of the greatest fights in UFC history – if not MMA history. But Dan Henderson's epic victory over Mauricio "Shogun" Rua in Saturday's UFC 139 main event could have been disastrous had it aired on FOX instead of pay-per-view, UFC president Dana White told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). And if you don't agree, well, you know the drill: You can shut your pie hole.
MMAPlayground Interview Series - Vol. 13 ("Rowdy" Ronda Rousey)
As with any successful professional, mixed martial artists eat, sleep and breathe their craft. They put everything on the line when they wake up, hit the gym and pour their blood, sweat and tears into the sport we all love. When they enter that cage, for the fan, it's all about the entertainment, but these athletes go through the daily rigors with more in mind. For some fighters, it's a paycheck. For others, it's the glitz and glamour, but for some it's a lifestyle fueled by a deep passion and connection to the sport of mixed martial arts. In our newest site feature, MMAPlayground would like to introduce you to some of these men and women of MMA that you may not know much about. Our mission? To introduce. To educate. To spread the word. For anyone familiar with Women's MMA, you've likely heard the name "Rowdy" Ronda Rousey before. If not, you most certainly will. Rousey's MMA record stands at 3-0-0 with all 3 wins coming by way of submission (armbar). And get this...the total combined time of those three fights? 99 seconds - nearly the same amount of time it took me to do the math... Rousey was kind enough to spare some of her personal time and agreed to participate in the MMAPlayground Interview Series with our own, Kyle Galvin (aka Kpro). The full interview is below. * * * * * MMAPG: Ronda, thanks for taking the time to answer a few questions! You're scheduled to take on Julia Budd on the Strikeforce Challengers card on November 18th. How is your training going? ROUSEY: Training is going great. I'm in the best shape of my life, and after competing in two Olympics, that's saying a lot. MMAPG: For readers who may not know, you've won multiple Judo gold medals at the Pan American games and also became the first female American to medal in Judo at the Olympics. As you could have easily continued training for the 2012 Olympics, what made you decide to turn to MMA? ROUSEY: I just wasn't happy with the lifestyle required to be a world class judoka. I reached a point where I knew what it would take to win the Olympics, and I just wasn't willing to be miserable for 4 years so I could be happy on one day. Doing MMA, I enjoy every day of training, love where I live, love the team of people working to help me win, and am just a more content person in general.
Carano Not Fighting in 2011
There had been some speculation that Gina Carano, still arguably the most famous women's MMA fighter in the world, was targeting a return to action on Strikeforce's Dec. 17 card in San Diego. However, sources close to the event confirmed with MMAFighting.com that Carano will not be competing on the card. Carano announced her return to Strikeforce in February of this year, however, an undisclosed illness forced her to pull out of her June 18 fight against Sarah D'Alelio. As of right now, Strikeforce has no plans for her return to the cage.