Court Denies Summary Judgment Motions in Affliction M-1/Fedor Litigation
On June 7, 2011, Judge Margaret M. Morrow denied the parties cross-motions for summary judgment in the Affliction v. M-1/Fedor litigation. I have previously posted about the litigation — most recently here.
The 55 page decision is a VERY interesting read especially with respect to the facts surrounding the “Trilogy” non-event — in particular the discussions and ultimate agreement between Affliction and the UFC.
Below are some of the interesting points — note the chronology.
As set forth in the Court’s decision, at a “July 13, 2009 meeting, Bassiri and Lawrence Epstein, UFC’s general counsel, discussed the possibility that UFC would assume responsibility for the Trilogy show and postpone it to September 19, 2009, in Dallas. Bassiri told Epstein that Affliction Promotions wanted to leave the MMA promotion business and re-establish its relationship with the UFC.” ...
Former Sengoku featherweight champion Marlon Sandro ready to impress at Bellator 46
s Bellator's Summer Series Featherweight Tournament moves closer to its June 25th kick off date from the Seminole Hard Rock Hotel & Casino, the buzz continues to grow around Top 10 featherweight Marlon Sandro, who will be making his Bellator and United States debut LIVE on MTV2.
Sandro, a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black belt who trains alongside UFC Featherweight Champion Jose Aldo and Bellator bantamweight Eduardo Dantas at Team Nova Uniao brings an impressive 17-2 record into the tournament, and has made stops with Sengoku, Pancrase, and Shooto throughout his professional career. Known for his devastating knockout power, Sandro has recently put together a string of impressive knockouts, as his last four victories have come via first round KO for a total fight time of just 3:39.
With UFC bringing in flyweights, will Tachi Palace suffer? Luchau doesn't think so
A unique selling point of Tachi Palace Fights in recent years has been its flyweight division.
The California-based promotion has recruited talent aggressively and built a roster that includes several of the world's top-ranked 125-pound fighters.
With recent news that the UFC is soon to add the sport's lightest class to its roster, you'd think Tachi would be bracing itself for a exodus of talent, and naturally not be too happy about it.
MFC 30 results and review
MFC 30: Cobb catches Fickett with first-round finish, Davis, Westcott, Lima among other winners at M
Brian Cobb survived a series of serious submission threats, turned the tide of his fight in a quick flash, and scored a surprising TKO victory over Drew Fickett in the co-main event of the Maximum Fighting Championship’s MFC 30: Up Close & Personal on Friday night.
The event aired live on HDNet Fights before a packed house at the Mayfield Convention Centre in Edmonton, Alberta.
Cobb (19-6), who was making his MFC debut, was in deep trouble after being taken down in the corner with Fickett eyeing a fast submission victory. Fickett (41-14) looked to have the win sewn up as he took Cobb’s back, secured a body lock, and went for a rear-naked choke followed by a neck crank. But “The Bandit” eventually slithered out of harm’s way and turned into Fickett’s guard to begin raining down right hands. When Fickett’s head bounced off the mat for the second time, referee Vern Gorman stepped in to halt Cobb’s attack with just 16 seconds left in the first round.
“Without a doubt, the biggest win of my career,” said Cobb, the Bakersfield, California, product who racked up his fourth straight victory. “It was a true honor to fight Drew Fickett and I am extremely happy with this win.”
Bellator's Rebney: "Summer Series" tourney highlights international-recruiting success
With four seasons under his belt, Bellator Fighting Championships CEO Bjorn Rebney knows his organization has shined in a few key areas.
With a hodgepodge of TV deals that ultimately led to MTV2, ratings have been a mixed bag. And grabbing MMA fans' interest following the UFC-Strikeforce merger has been tough.
But Rebney, who kicks off a three-event "Summer Series" of shows later this month, knows the organization's summer tournament is proof of two accomplishments: international recruiting and a solid featherweight division.
Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney Speaks on Relationship with Spike TV
In the midst of all the talk surrounding the UFC, G4 and Spike TV, MMA Fighting reported Wednesday that if the UFC were to leave Spike TV at the end of this year, Bellator likely would fill the MMA gap on the network, moving over from sister station MTV2. Both Spike TV and MTV2 fall under the MTV Networks banner.
We asked Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney about this developing situation Thursday on Bloody Elbow Radio. Not surprisingly, he was non-commital.
Shark Fights 16 slotted for June 25th with Neer vs. Juarez, Mutapcic vs. Young
Shark Fights 16 is slated for June 25, and the co-headlining fights are apparently set.
The main event pits UFC veteran and current interim Shark Fights welterweight champ Josh Neer (29-10-1) against Jesse Juarez (15-7), and Elvis Mutapcic (8-1) meets fellow middleweight Arteneas Young (6-3) in the co-main event, according to the fighters' management team.
According to the organization's website, Shark Fights 16 takes place in Odessa, Texas, likely at Ector County Coliseum.
Weekend Rundown: Teixeira Wins 10th Straight
Brazil’s top light heavyweight free agent made quick work of an overmatched opponent Saturday at Shooto Brazil 23, the first stop on what could be Glover Teixeira’s last tour of his home circuit before jumping stateside.
Inside the Hebrew Social and Sports Club in Rio de Janeiro, the 31-year-old Teixeira used his famously heavy hands to drub Amapaense Simao Melo, a replacement for original adversary Maurilio “Touro” de Souza. After a brief struggle on the ground, Teixeira unleashed a flurry of knees and punches, finishing the 211-pound catchweight contest with a lights-out right cross at 1:49 of the opening round.
The knockout extended Teixeira’s winning streak to 10 and marked the start of a busy summer for the onetime Chuck Liddell sparring partner.
Bellator to host open fighter tryouts
Bellator Fighting Championships again is putting out an open call for fighters.
The organization is hosting tryouts on June 18 at Hard Rock Live at the Seminole Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Hollywood, Fla.
Florida-based fighters can earn a spot on the Sept. 17 Bellator 50 card, which takes place at the hosting venue. Non-Florida fighters can earn spots on other future Bellator cards.
Titan Fighting Championships 18 results: Jens Pulver and Jake Rosholt falter
The two biggest names at Friday's Titan Fighting Championships 18 event faltered with co-headliners Jens Pulver and Jake Rosholt both suffering losses.
Pulver simply was outworked. Rosholt, though, simply made a mistake after dominating his bout.
The fights were part of HDNet's live broadcast from Memorial Hall in Kansas City, Kan.
Pulver (24-15-1), a former UFC champ fighting for the fourth time since coming out a retirement following an unsuccessful run in the WEC, scored takedowns on 140-pound Missourian Brian Davidson (7-3). But without an edge standing or on the mat, Davidson ultimately locked in a fight-ending rear-naked choke at the 4:04 mark of the opening round.
Isaac De Jesus loses spot at Tachi Palace Fights 10 due to marijuana suspension
Isaac De Jesus' loss is Joe Soto's gain.
As MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) previously reported, the ex-Bellator champ took De Jesus' spot in a fight with Eddie Yagin at Tachi Palace Fights 10, which takes place Aug. 4.
The reason Soto got the call is because De Jesus (10-3 MMA, 2-2 TPF) tested positive for marijuana following his most recent appearance at Tachi Palace Fights 9.
Croatian middleweight Zelg Galesic joins Bellator's season-five tournament
DREAM, PRIDE and K-1 veteran Zelg Galesic (10-5 MMA, 0-0 BFC) is the latest addition to Bellator Fighting Championships' season-five middleweight tournament.
Bellator officials today announced Galesic's participation in the eight-man field.
"I see Bellator as a place to really make a major name for myself in the U.S.," Galesic stated in the official release. "I'm extremely excited to compete in the upcoming Bellator middleweight tournament. I'm even more excited to win the whole thing."
A tae kwon do stylist, Galesic owns eight of his 10 career victories via knockout.
Ex-Bellator champ Joe Soto cleared to fight, targeted for Tachi Palace 10
Although his career once was in jeopardy due to a detached retina, first-ever Bellator featherweight champion Joe Soto is returning to the cage.
Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmjaunkie.com) the fighter has been cleared by his doctor and the California State Athletic Commission.
While still under contract to Bellator, Soto is slated for a return at Tachi Palace Fights 10 on Aug. 4.
With Bellator's permission, Soto (9-1) is expected to meet Hawaiian fight veteran Eddie Yagin (13-4-1) at the event, possibly in the night's headliner. According to Tachi Fights promoter Jeremy Luchau, Soto replaces Isaac De Jesus at the event. Verbal agreements are in place for the fight.
Bellator Ends Season 4 Strong with Record TV Ratings for MTV2
Bellator’s fourth season has come to a close, but just as it did, the promotion started to garner some momentum with its new broadcast partner MTV2. The promotion on Saturday pulled in an average audience of 264,000 viewers for Bellator 45, it was the promotion’s second highest TV rating of the season.
BAMMA 6: Frank Trigg Returns To 185, Says Welterweight Was A Big Mistake
Frank Trigg heads into his BAMMA 6 match-up with John Phillips looking to answer a question: Can he still compete at middleweight?
“I think one of the biggest mistakes that I made was trying to convince myself that I can still be viable at 170,” Trigg told MMAWeekly.com. “It wasn’t the fact that I didn’t have the athletic ability or the talent to be viable at 170. What had happened was that I am inefficient at 170. I’m too big now to make the weight class.”
Superior Cage Combat 1 results: Justin Bucholz front kick KO's Steve Lopez
The front kick struck again.
Five-time UFC veteran Justin Buchholz (11-6) was the latest Steven Seagal-channeling athlete to implement the suddenly sexy strike, and the blow delivered a third-round knockout of two-time UFC fighter Steve Lopez (12-5).
Buchholz's jaw-dropping strike came with just 30 seconds remaining in the main event of Superior Cage Combat 1, which took place Saturday at Las Vegas' Bally's Event Center.
MMAjunkie.com lead staff reporter John Morgan served alongside extreme-sports star T.J. Lavin in the broadcast booth.