Bellator welterweight champ Ben Askren says he'll retire before he's mastered MMA
Of all the current Bellator champions, welterweight Ben Askren might be the least perturbed about the long layoffs typical for the promotion's beltholders. They give him a chance to get better.
"When I won a Bellator tournament, I was only a year and four months into my fighting career, maybe," Askren last week told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "My outlook was, OK, now I get all this time to actually get good at this."
Askren (10-0 MMA, 7-0 BFC), who is expected in January to defend his title against Karl Amoussou (16-4-2 MMA, 4-1 BFC), isn't selling anybody on the notion that he's a complete fighter. And he won't even come close to being one by the time he retires from MMA...
MMA World Cup 2017
Having been branded as “human cock fighting” by former Whitehouse hopeful John McCain, mixed martial arts is set to join mainstream sports by having its very own world cup.
The competition will happen in 2017 and will fittingly take place at the home of the gladiators in Rome.
“Considering the history of Rome, and the Coliseum, it is the perfect environment for the first mixed martial arts world cup. It gives marquee values and it is the right tribute to history,” said World Cup Mixed Martial Arts (WCMMA) Executive Director, Edward Catucci...
A watered down version of mma?
What do you guys think?
Five Fighters Who Had Career Changing Wins at ONE FC: 'Pride of a Nation'
The New York Badass put his money where his mouth is by blowing away Rodrigo Ribeiro in less than a minute and then celebrating in style (see above!) The win improves his overall record to 15-15 and he is 1-1 for ONE FC, 2-2 since getting cut from the UFC and 5-5 in his last 10 fights, which adds a certain sense of symmetry.
Ribeiro was 9-8 going into the fight and is a third degree BJJ black belt and a veteran of the Brazilian scene. He is no pushover and went the full three rounds with Rustam Khabilov (who just signed with the UFC) in his last fight but Baroni blew him away in a first round frenzy.
This was one of the most impressive performances of Baroni's career and was reminiscent of his famous UFC win over Dave Menne. He is back in the mix in the ONE FC welterweight division and next time he fights it is likely to be on the main card with Fabricio Monteiro and Gregor Gracie two potential opponents.
Will Campuzano vs. Jimmy Flick flyweight title fight added to Legacy FC 16
Will Campuzano (10-4) and Jimmy Flick (5-0) will give it another try.
After their initial fight was scratched, the 125-pounders have been rebooked for Legacy Fighting Championship 16, where they'll fight for the organization's inaugural flyweight title.
The event takes place Dec. 14 at Allen Events Center in Allen, Texas, and the main card airs on AXS TV.
ONE FC eliminates 'open-attack' rule, adopts full PRIDE rules for soccer kicks
ONE Fighting Championship has eliminated its "open-attack" rule for soccer kicks, officials today announced.
The decision came a few days after the often-confusing rule resulted in an Andrei Arlovski vs. Tim Sylvia heavyweight contest being declared a no-contest this past weekend at ONE FC 5.
Instead, soccer kicks are now legal at all times, and the referee no longer has to distinguish when they're an option.
"Effective immediately, ONE FC has adopted full PRIDE rules for soccer kicks," the organization announced via Twitter.
The organization's next event, "ONE FC 6: Rise of the Kings," will be the first to feature the rules change. The event takes place Oct. 6 at Singapore Indoor Stadium in Singapore, and it's again expected to be available as an online pay-per-view.
Ex-WEC champ Miguel Torres signs with World Series of Fighting for Nov. 2 fight
Former WEC champion and recent UFC competitor Miguel Torres (40-5) has signed with the upstart World Series of Fighting promotion.
Officials announced the signing via Twitter following an initial report from MMAFighting.com.
Torres will debut at the organization's Nov. 3 event, which takes place at Planet Hollywood Resort & Casino in Las Vegas. An opponent hasn't been determined.
Although not officially announced, the debut show is expected to air nationally on NBC Sports (formerly Versus). Officials will announce many event details during a Thursday press conference in Las Vegas...
Invicta FC President Shannon Knapp taking road less traveled to build women's MMA
In Shannon Knapp's estimation, women's MMA isn't quite as bad off as some critics would lead us to believe.
And she's going to go about doing what she can to push the women's side of the game forward, developing fighters and changing attitudes until people can only vaguely remember a time when depth was an issue.
Knapp, the president of Invicta Fighting Championship, differs slightly from UFC President Dana White, who long has maintained there isn't enough depth in women's MMA.
"Depth, by definition, is there," Knapp recently told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "There are tons of girls out there that want to fight. But the truth of the matter is, when you get into that upper echelon, to that top tier, it's pretty thin."
And that may fall in line a little more with what White has been outspoken about – that it's hard to imagine, in the current landscape, women's MMA in the UFC because the weight classes aren't stacked enough to make for regular UFC-quality fights...
Prospect Bruno Carvalho plans fights at featherweight, lightweight in hopes of UFC bid
On a push toward the UFC's octagon, Brazilian striking specialist Bruno Carvalho is diversifying weight classes to make himself more appealing.
Carvalho on Saturday makes his featherweight debut against Maicon Bastos, and he hopes to use the result to springboard onto the international scene. Once there, he promises to be a model UFC employee.
"My greatest dream is to fight in the UFC," Carvalho told MMAjunkie.com. "If I join that organization and they tell me to fight 10 times in a year, I would love that."
World Series of Fighting to Debut in November; Possible NBC Sports Network Deal in Works
The organization was recently granted a promoter's license by the Nevada State Athletic Commission, paving the way for its first event later this year. Nevada State Athletic Commission executive director Keith Kizer confirmed the news with MMAFighting.com on Tuesday. MMAWeekly.com first reported the news.
According to Kizer, the promotion has requested to hold its first event on Nov. 3 at the Planet Hollywood Resort and Casino in Las Vegas. Kizer forwarded the official request written by WSOF official Keith Evans to MMAFighting.com and in it he states that the card will air on NBC Sports Network, formerly known as Versus. MMAFighting.com has confirmed with another WSOF official that the event will air on NBC Sports Network, however, attempts to confirm the news with the cable channel have thus far been unsuccessful.
No fights have been officially announced for the debut card just yet. According to the organization's Web site, familiar names such as Roger Huerta, Rolles Gracie, Thales Leites and Gilbert Yvel are on its roster...
Ex-Strikeforce champ Sarah Kaufman vs. Kaitlin Young added to Invicta FC 3
Former Strikeforce champion Sarah Kaufman (15-2) is wasting no time getting back to action.
After failing to reclaim her belt with a loss to Ronda Rousey on Aug. 18, the Canadian has been booked to fight Kaitlin Young (7-6-1) at Invicta FC 3, officials today announced.
Kaufman, who's still under contract with Strikeforce, and Young initially were slated to fight at an EliteXC event in 2008 that later was canceled in the wake of the promotion's demise.
Invicta FC 3, the latest offering from the all-female promotion, takes place Oct. 6 in Kansas City, Kan., and the event is expected to stream online for free...
Gilbert Yvel vs. Marcio Cruz, Tyson Griffin vs. Efrain Escudero tops RFA 4 on Nov. 2
Resurrection Fighting Alliance's next event now has a venue and headliners.
RFA 4 is set for Nov. 2 at Texas Station's Dallas Event Center in Las Vegas, the promotion announced on Wednesday. The event airs live on Fight Now TV.
Headlining the event is a light-heavyweight clash between former UFC fighters Gilbert Yvel (38-16-1) and Marcio "Pe de Pano" Cruz (7-3). A lightweight fight between Tyson Griffin (15-6) and "The Ultimate Fighter 8" winner Efrain Escudero (18-5) co-headlines.
Following a three-fight skid that prompted his exit from the UFC, Yvel earned back-to-back stoppage victories under the RFA banner. Most recently, he delivered a first-round knockout of fellow octagon vet Houston Alexander at RFA 2.
Cruz, a decorated submission grappler, hasn't competed since July 2011, when current UFC prospect Glover Teixeira scored a TKO victory over him at an event in Brazil. The loss snapped a five-fight win streak that followed his exit from the UFC, which came with back-to-back losses to Jeff Monson and Andrei Arlovski.
For the record the Yvel/Cruz fights at 205 - love that matchup!
Spike TV, K-1 agree to multi-platform broadcast deal
Bellator Fighting Championships won't be the only combat-sports organization broadcasting their 2013 events on Spike TV.
Spike TV officials today announced a multi-platform broadcast deal with leading kickboxing promotion K-1 that sees four 2012 events stream on Spike.com and a series of 2013 events broadcast on Spike TV.
"We are thrilled to be in business with the world's preeminent kickboxing organization," Spike TV Senior Vice President of Sports and Multi-platform Events Jon Slusser stated. "Spike has the most passionate and knowledgeable fans of combat sports, and we are confident that they will enjoy the high-octane action of K-1, which serves as the perfect complement to our Bellator coverage next year."
Legacy FC 13 results: Derrick Lewis knocks out Jared Rosholt, claims heavyweight title
Heavyweight prospect Jared Rosholt (4-1) is undefeated no longer.
"The Big Show" was knocked cold in the second round by Derrick "The Black beast" Lewis (8-2), who claimed the vacant Legacy Fighting Championship heavyweight title in the process.
Derrick Lewis def. Jared Rosholt via knockout (punches) - Round 2, 4:49 to claim vacant heavyweight title
Sean Spencer def. Evan Cutts by unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
Chris Tickle def. Douglas Frey via TKO (punches) - Round 1, 1:03
Clayton Robinson def. Donnie Bell via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
Steven Peterson def. Matt Hobar via TKO (injury) - Round 1, 4:04
Hayward Charles def. Russell Brewer via submission (armbar) Round 1, 0:56
Ryan Benoit def. Randy Villareal via TKO (punches) - Round 1, 1:35
Shinya Aoki moved to October's 'ONE FC 6: Rise of Kings' opposite Arnaud Lepont
Shinya Aoki (30-6) will not, in fact, be headlining August's "ONE FC 5: Pride of a Nation" event.
Promotion officials today announced that the former DREAM champ is now slated to fight Arnaud Lepont (9-1) at "ONE FC 6: Rise of Kings."
The event takes place Oct. 6 at the 12,000-seat Singapore Indoor Stadium in Singapore. Broadcast plans for the event are not yet official.
Additionally, ONE FC CEO Victor Cui announced that three title fights will grace "ONE FC 6: Rise of Kings."
Following Tyrone Mims' death, Conflict MMA plans memorial event, trust fund for children
Following the death of Tyrone Mims this past weekend following a Conflict MMA Promotions event in South Carolina, company officials plan to honor the amateur fighter at their next show.
Shortly after a TKO loss at the organization's Aug. 11 event, "Teestea" passed out backstage and was pronounced dead at a nearby hospital shortly after.
In a statement sent to MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com), Conflict MMA representatives said they plan to hold a memorial event in December. Additionally, a title belt will be named in the 30-year-old's honor, and a memorial trust fund will be set up for his five children.
"Conflict MMA Promotions traveled to Augusta, Ga., to spend time in mourning with his family," stated Edward Phipps, legal counsel for the fight promotion. "Conflict MMA would like to thank Tyrone Mims' parents, Thomas and Barbara, and all of his loving family and friends that so graciously welcomed them with open arms. They appreciated the time the family spent with them sharing precious stories and memories of Tyrone. Tyrone's influence and what he contributed to so many lives will forever be in our hearts, and the tragic loss of his kind soul will not be forgotten.
"Conflict MMA Promotions would like to have a special memorial for Tyrone Mims at the next event in December with permission and participation of his family. In addition to setting up a memorial trust fund for his children, there will be a title belt dedicated to his name."
Initial autopsy results inconclusive on South Carolina amateur fighter
The official cause of death for Tyrone Mims is yet undetermined. An initial autopsy on the fighter was inconclusive, said Charleston (S.C.) County Coroner Rae Wooten.
"Our findings don't reveal any immediate cause of death," Wooten today told MMAjunkie.com.
An "internal review" into Mims' death is underway, according to a statement released today by the South Carolina Department of Labor, Licensing and Registration, which oversees the South Carolina Athletic Commission.
South Carolina fighter Tyrone Mims dies after amateur debut
Last night at Conflict MMA Promotions: Fight Night @ The Point VI, in Mt. Pleasant, South Carolina, Tyrone Mimms made his amateur debut vs. Blake Poore, at a catch weight of 180, on the second fight of what was scheduled to be a 14-fight card.
According to fans in attendance, the 30-year-old, Augusta, Georgia based Mimms came out strong in the first, but gassed out in the second round. The referee stopped the fight. Mimms went backstage where he was stricken, apparently of a heart attack.
Attempts to revive him were unsuccessful. He was pronounced dead at the hospital at 9:27 P.M. according to Charleston County Deputy Coroner Dottie Lindsay.
When the event organizers became aware of what happened, they scrapped the rest of the card and webcast.
Mimms was a member of an online MMA reality series titled Georgia Boy's Grits n Glory, where he was went by the nickname "Teesta." He fought out of the August Fight Club, under coach Chris Hauser.
MFC 34: Total Recall Weigh-In Results
The Maximum Fighting Championship’s main event for MFC 34: Total Recall has been reduced to a three-round, non-title affair after Adam Lynn missed weight during the official weigh-in.
Lynn (17-9) was set to meet rival Mukai Maromo (7-2) for the vacant MFC lightweight title in a rematch of their contentious, controversial original bout from MFC 33 which Maromo took by a hotly disputed split-decision verdict. But Lynn, the former U.S. Marine, failed to make the 155-pound limit, stepping off the scale at 156.6 pounds. Maromo was on the money for his efforts at 154 pounds.