Buentello To Return In Shark Fights Main Event
Following his exit from the UFC, Paul Buentello will re-emerge on May 22 at Shark Fights 11 to face undefeated prospect Bryan Humes in the main event at Ector County Coliseum in Odessa, Texas.
The winner of the bout will become the No. 1 contender to the Shark Fights heavyweight title currently held by Darrel Schoonover.
Karo Parisyan headed to Australia for Impact FC, fights Luis Dutra Jr.
Karo Parisyan is moving on with his fight career and will appear at Impact FC in Australia on July 10.
Parisyan today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that he has agreed to fight Brazilian Luis Dutra Jr. on the card Down Under. MMAjunkie.com reported earlier today that the former UFC welterweight's potential Strikeforce contract fell through.
"I [haven't] fought for a year-and-a-half, (so) it's exciting," Parisyan said. "Time to get on top again."
The Armenian-American fighter declined to comment on his Strikeforce negotiations other than to say the potential deal was a six-fight contract...
Ken Shamrock to Fight Pedro Rizzo at July 17 Impact FC Event
Ken Shamrock is currently penned in to face Pedro Rizzo and not Mark Coleman at Impact FC on July 17 in Australia, MMAFighting.com has confirmed with promoters.
The Shamrock-Coleman matchup had been discussed but no agreement was reached.
I believe this is on the same card as Ninja- Jeremy May and I have read Semtex maybe fighting on this card too. Whoever wins this one should move into the top ten P4P discussion.
Mayorga vs. Thomas Remains in Jeopardy Over Term 'Bout'
In the court battle over whether boxer Ricardo Mayorga is contractually free to pursue his MMA debut against former UFC fighter Din Thomas at this Saturday's Shine Fights event in North Carolina, a lot may depend on what the definition of the word "bout" is.
Last week, Don King Productions filed a motion in a Florida court for preliminary injunctive relief to stop Mayorga's participation in the Shine Fights 3 pay-per-view event, alleging that Mayorga is violating his exclusive promotional contract with DKP by engaging in the MMA bout.
Travis Galbraith Off Shine Fights, Heath Faces Rua
Just days before the upstart Shine Fight Promotions' first pay-per-view event, the organization has been forced to juggle its main-card lineup. Travis Galbraith, who was to have faced Murilo Rua, is now off. He has withdrawn due to disagreements with the organization over travel arrangements. Galbraith said his decision to withdraw from the card was based on a series of events that left him concerned. A replacement has been secured, reportedly it's David "Not Gangrel" Heath.
Jay Silva replaces Paulo Filho in Thursday's Bellator 18 "super fight" with Hector Lombard
Another opportunity has passed by former World Extreme Cagefighting champion and one-time highly ranked middleweight Paulo Filho.
Although Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney this past week spoke with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) and denied reports of Filho's scratch from Thursday's Bellator 18 event and said last-minute plans could salvage the fight, the efforts came up short.
MMAjunkie.com has confirmed with multiple sources, including Rebney, that former UFC fighter Jay Silva (5-3 MMA, 0-0 BFC) replaced Filho (18-1 MMA, 0-0 BFC) and meets Bellator middleweight champ Hector Lombard (24-2-1 MMA, 3-0 BFC) in the event's non-title headliner.
Bellator CEO: Filho vs. Lombard Is Still On
Despite reports stating otherwise, Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney says that as far as he knows, Paulo Filho vs. Hector Lombard at Bellator 18 is still on. According to a report from GracieMag.com, Filho said he was unable to get a visa to travel to the U.S. because of documentation issues. However, Rebney today spoke to Filho's representatives, who said that Filho is traveling from Brazil to the U.S.on Monday and will have his pre-fight medical paperwork completed the next day. But there is a Plan B if Filho fails to materialize. "We've backed ourselves up; we've done everything we needed to do in protecting the sanctity of that event, but my hope is that he shows up," Rebney said. "I think Hector Lombard deserves this fight." Rebney declined to name Filho's possible replacement but said it is an opponent known to mixed-martial-arts fans.
Paulo Filho is out of his Bellator fight with Hector Lombard
Former WEC champion Paulo Filho is out of his Bellator fight with Hector Lombard, apparently because of visa issues. The Brazilian middleweight says that he has not been abke to obtain the necessary paperwork to fight in the US on May 13th.
“It seems the event took too long in sending out the letter I needed to present at the consulate and I’m not sure but it could be there was some kind of failure on the part of my managers. So, I won’t get my visa in time,” he told Gracie Mag.
MFC 25: Vindication Results
- Thales Leites def. Jesse Taylor by Submission (Triangle Choke) Rd. 1 (2:27)
- Ryan Jimmo defeated Wilson Gouveia by Unanimous Decision Rd. 3 (5:00)
- Emanuel Newton def. Dwayne Lewis by Unanimous Decision Rd. 3 (5:00)
- Pete Spratt def. Luigi Fioravanti by TKO (Strikes) Rd. 3 (4:02)
- Gavin Neil def. Richie Hightower by Rear Naked Choke Rd. 1 (2:52)
- Chase Gormley def. Ryan Fortin by Unanimous Decision Rd. 3 (5:00)
Curran shocks Huerta / Alvarez subs Neer
BOSTON – The big question after the fights on Thursday night? Where is Roger Huerta’s head at this stage of his fight career? Was it an issue of a rhythmic drought? Is his focus on something other than mixed martial arts right now? Or did he overlook his opponent, Pat Curran, in this lightweight semifinal tournament bout? Regardless of the speculation, Huerta and Curran put on a great show.
The first round started with Curran landing brutal kicks to the body of Huerta that generated gasps of pity from the audience. It was Huerta’s slowest of the three rounds. He seemed to be waiting for a brawl, but Curran wasn’t interested in playing into that game.
In the second round the pace started to pick up. Huerta was given periods of the “brawl” he wanted from Curran, but during those periods Curran stayed focused, landed good counter punches, and even several foot jabs to the head and mid-section of his opponent.
Megumi Fujii to Fight in Bellator on June 10
The pound-for-pound best female fighter in the world, Megumi Fujii will fight on the June 10 Bellator event, CEO Bjorn Rebney announced Friday.
Her opponent is yet to be named but Fujii is also likely to compete in the rumored 115-pound tournament to be held in Bellator's third season which starts in August. Other rumored tournament participants include Rosi Sexton and Elena Reid.
Don King Issues Cease and Desist with Shine Fights
According to MaxBoxing.com, Don King Promotions has issued a cease and desist order to Shine Fight Promotions on the grounds that Ricardo Mayorga is contractually obligated to fight exclusively for Don King. Mayorga is set to fight Din Thomas on May 15th at Shine Fights 3: Worlds Collide.
Don King Productions has become aware that an entity known as Shine Fight Promotions recently announced their intention to present a match showcasing former three-time world champion Ricardo “El Matador” Mayorga.
Don King Productions has a valid promotional contract granting the right of exclusive representation of Ricardo Mayorga and has advised Shine Fight Promotions accordingly.
Shine Fights' Mayorga says he'll quit MMA if he loses to the "nobody" Thomas
LOS ANGELES – If things don't go Ricardo Mayorga's way on May 15, his MMA career could be over before it ever really starts.
Mayorga, who faces Din Thomas in a 160-pound catchweight main event at "Shine Fights: Worlds Collide" on Saturday, May 15, said he'll retire from MMA if he loses – or even if he wins by decision.
If he wins as he predicts – a knockout in the first minute of the first round – he'll call out boxing kingpin Floyd Mayweather.
Late replacements John Doyle, Damian Vitale complete Bellator 17 card
A pair of late replacements have stepped up on short notice to compete in separate contests at Thursday's Bellator Fighting Championships event.
MMAjunkie.com has learned that John Doyle is replacing John Clarke and faces Greg Rebello, while Damian Vitale steps in for Nate Lamotte and meets Chuck O'Neil.
Both fights take place on the preliminary card of Thursday's Bellator 17 event at the Citi Performing Arts Center's Wang Theatre in Boston.
Wiuff defeats Monson
While Jose Aldo and Urijah Faber were battling it out for the WEC championship on Saturday night, fans in Minneapolis were treated to a world-class MMA event featuring eight UFC veterans, five WEC veterans, and a former UFC champion.
With Bellator 16 win, Danny Tims earns slot in season-three bantamweight tourney
With a hard-fought victory over Brian Davidson at Wednesday's Bellator 16 event, Danny Tims has earned a spot in Bellator Fighting Championships' season-three bantamweight tournament later this year, CEO Bjorn Rebney today announced.
The announcement confirms the organization's plans for a first-ever 135-pound tournament.
As MMAjunkie.com first reported in March, Bellator is expected to host tournaments in four new weight classes in this fall's third season: bantamweight, light heavyweight, heavyweight and a women's division (weight class TBD).
Bellator Adds Bantamweight Tournament For Season 3
Bellator Fighting Championships on Friday confirmed its oft-rumored bantamweight tournament for Season 3, which begins Aug. 12. The first fighter confirmed for the 135-pound brackets is Danny Tims, whose red mohawk and compelling personal story made him a media darling in his hometown of Kansas City in the run-up to Bellator 16. He earned the spot with his victory over Brian Davidson on the local portion of Bellator 16 on Thursday night. The announcement, which was made by Bellator founder and CEO Bjorn Rebney at the conclusion of Thursday night’s event, makes it official that Bellator will indeed host a bantamweight tournament in its third season as has been rumored for some time. Additional tournament fighters will be announced in the coming weeks.
Bellator 20 heads to Majestic Theatre in San Antonio on May 27, Sanchez vs. Kelly added
After its middleweight tournament semifinal fights were revealed on Thursday for the card, Bellator Fighting Championships today announced a host site for its upcoming Bellator 20 event: the Majestic Theatre in San Antonio.
The Texas show takes place May 27 and airs live on FOX Sports Net.
In addition to tournament bouts of Eric Schambari vs. Bryan Baker and Alexander Shlemenko vs. Jared Hess, Bellator 20 features a non-tourney heavyweight bout between UFC vet Eddie Sanchez and EliteXC vet Ralph Kelly.
Bellator 16 recap: Hess, Baker, Shlemenko and Schambari advance in middleweight tourney
Middleweights were on display at Bellator 16, the promotion's first season-two appearance in Kansas City, and four fighters punches their tickets to the season's semifinal round.
The Kansas City Power & Light District crowd saw three finishes and an entertaining decision in the open-air, outdoor venue, and season-one finalist Jared Hess closed out the evening's main card with a second-round submission of former IFL champ Ryan McGivern.
Bellator 16 took place Thursday night and aired on FOX Sports Net.