Ricco Rodriguez Off Bellator 31
Bellator announced today that Ricco Rodriguez is now off a planned fight at Bellator 31 due to a serious knee injury that will require surgery. He was to have faced Dave Herman. Rodriguez initially hoped to fight through the knee injury, but he's since learned multiple surgeries may be required. A replacement search is underway.
Bellator 29 weigh-in results: Massouh and Guida miss weight
All 14 Bellator 29 fighters took part in Wednesday's official weigh-ins, and two competitors missed weight.
Main-card fighter Jameel Massouh (142 pounds) missed the limit for his 140-pound catchweight fight, and preliminary-card fighter Jason Guida (215) was heavy for his 210-pound catchweight bout.
The night's co-headliners, who are Bellator's season-three heavyweight-tournament semifinalists, all made weight without incident.
Houston Alexander: I Proved That You Never Give Up
When Houston Alexander burst into national consciousness with back-to-back highlight-reel stoppages in the UFC, "The Assassin" seemed primed to provide the world with and endless stream of entertaining video clips. Unfortunately for Alexander, in five of his next six fights those clips involved someone else getting their hand raised at the end of the reel. But the 38-year-old has always refused to quit, even when it seemed like his only option, and never was that attitude more apparent than in his Shark Fights 13 victory over fellow UFC veteran Sokoudjou. "My kids, I always tell those guys never give up," Alexander said following the win. "I proved that you never give up. Never give up."
Dave Herman vs. Ricco Rodriguez booked for Bellator 31 event
A major heavyweight bout has been added to this month's Bellator 31 event.
During Thursday's Bellator broadcast on FOX Sports Net, officials confirmed a Sept. 30 booking between top heavyweight prospect Dave Herman (16-2 MMA, 1-0 BFC) and former UFC champ Ricco Rodriguez (44-11 MMA, 0-0 BFC), who's seen a career resurgence in recent years.
Herman and Bellator officials have been in a contract dispute.
Herman sued Bellator in July, as Sherdog.com initially reported, and the organization in turn counter-sued the fighter, who had been slated to fight at this weekend's Shark Fights 13 event before he was pulled from the card.
Bellator 28 Quick Results
An exciting night of fights for Bellator as they put on a show for New Orleans tonight. As the Saints win the NFL season opener and fans rejoice, others are left with bitter dissappointment for some less famous Louisiana natives.
Shine Fights Announces Pairings for Friday's Lightweight Tournament
It's been an interesting – and mostly rough – road leading to Shine Fights' lightweight tournament. But two days before the event, the promotion made official its grand prix pairings.
As Shine Fights COO Jason Chambers announced on Twitter in the days leading up to the tournament, first-round tournament matches between Drew Fickett and Charles "Krazy Horse" Bennett, Rich Crunkilton and Carlo Prater and James Warfield and Kyle Baker were confirmed by the promotion Wednesday night. Also made official was the fourth bout, Shannon Gugerty vs. Dennis Bermudez.
David Heath Filing Lawsuit Against Shine Fights
Another day, another potential major issue for Shine Fights. One of the fighters scheduled for the last-minute-scratch 5/15 event, David "Not Gangrel" Heath, says he will sue the promotion next week because he claims he has not been paid his contracted participation in the event. He was scheduled to face Murilo Rua. When asked if he had received payment from Shine Fights, Heath answered by text message saying, "Nope. Gonna file a small claims suit when I get back from MFC this weekend." Heath is currently in Canada for the Maximum Fighting Championship show taking place this Friday, and will return home to Oklahoma next week where he plans to file the suit.
DirecTV Won't Offer Shine Fights
"We pulled it off the schedule given the possibility that the event may be canceled based on the last-minute venue change and we do not want to put our customers in the position having to get refunds," DirecTV said in a statement to MMAFighting.com.
Aurelio Out Of Shine Fights Tournament, Questionable For DREAM
PRIDE and UFC veteran Marcus Aurelio today said that an elbow injury he sustained two weeks ago will keep him from fighting in Shine Fights' single-night eight-man tournament on Friday in Newkirk, Okla. And while he's keeping his fingers crossed that he'll be able to meet an obligation to fight Shinya Aoki at DREAM.16 on Sept. 25, it all depends on whether his injury subsides enough to fight. Many observers have questioned the timing of Aurelio's withdrawal, which came 24 hours after Shine Fights COO Jason Chambers told MMAWeekly.com that the Brazilian did not have permission to fight Aoki in DREAM and wasn't likely to get the green light unless he fought in Friday's event. As for Friday, Shannon Gugerty is the replacement.
DEEP Starting to Confirm Leaked 10th Anniversary Card
DEEP has announced five more fights for their 10th Anniversary DEEP 50th Impact event, confirming some of the bouts leaked by ticketing service E-Plus,
Ryo Chonan vs Jung Hwan Cha, Hidetaka Monma vs Yoshihisa Yamamoto, Ryuta Noji vs Hiroshi Nagao, Isao Terada vs Yoshiki Harada and Shoji Maruyama vs Tatsunao Nagakura have all be added to the mega-card with the only change from the leak being Jung Hwan Cha stepping in for the Bellator bound Yoshiyuki Yoshida. Chonan will get a shot at revenge after he suffered a shock KO loss to Cha at Astra back in April.
DirecTV Says Yes to Shine Fights, No to Shark Fights
We have a weird weekend in mixed martial arts ahead of us, with two different pay-per-view shows even as the UFC is sitting the weekend out. But if you're a DirecTV subscriber, you have only one fight card available to you: DirecTV is offering Friday night's Shine Fights event, but not Saturday night's Shark Fights show.
DirecTV has decided not to give its customers the chance to purchase the Shark Fights card, which is headlined by Keith Jardine vs. Trevor Prangley. Unsurprisingly, Shark Fights is disappointed.
Shine GP unsanctioned, fighters will be suspended
MMARising.com has confirmed that all fighters on this Friday’s Shine Fights card in Newkirk, Oklahoma will face ineligibility suspensions for taking part in an unsanctioned event. The suspensions, expected to last between 60 and 90 days, are enforceable by all member states in the Association of Boxing Commissions (ABC).
Fighters deemed as “ineligible” will be unable to compete on any sanctioned mixed martial arts cards until the duration of their suspension has expired. All Shine Fights participants (Drew Fickett, Charles Bennett, Marcus Aurelio, Carlo Prater, etc.) will face this distinction.
McFedries replacement is Danillo Villefort
Drew McFedries' loss is Danillo Villefort's (11-3) gain.
MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has learned from sources close to the American Top Team Fighter that he has verbally agreed to replace an injured McFedries on just one-week's notice and fight Joey Villasenor (27-7) on the main card of Shark Fights 13.
Bout agreements are expected to be finalized shortly.
Drew McFedries, Marcus Hicks Off Shark Fights 13
All mixed martial arts promotions are forced to deal with the reality of injuries, and the upstart Shark Fights organization is no exception. While the Texas-based promotion will host its first-ever pay-per-view event with next week's Shark Fights 13 card, the organization will need to secure a pair of late replacements. Both Drew McFedries and Marcus Hicks are now off for as-yet-unknown reasons. McFedries was to have faced Joey Villasenor, Hicks was to have faced Karen Darabedyan. Daniel Straus has verbally agreed to be a replacement for Hicks, no replacement yet for McFedries.
UPDATE: Danilo Villefort is the replacement for McFedries.
Report: Virginia KOs Shine Fights, 9/10 Event Going To Oklahoma
Shine Fights is taking another one on the chin this week, this time from the Virginia Athletic Commission, who apparently wasn't on board with the promotion's decision to let the fans do their matchmaking for next weekend's lightweight grand prix pay-per-view. The report also states that Shine will stick to the original date of Sept. 10 but has been forced to abandon its plans for a tournament at the George Mason University campus in Fairfax after being denied a license and will instead head to Oklahoma to a venue yet to be determined. This is the promotion's second major setback in 2010. Shine saw the cancellation of its "Worlds Collide: Mayorga vs. Thomas" pay-per-view event back on May 15, after the courts awarded Don King Productions a last-minute injunction barring Ricardo Mayorga's participation in the main event.
Bellator Adds Lyman Good vs. Ben Askren To Bellator 33
October's Bellator 33 fight card has another big addition. A week after the organization announced a headlining non-title fight between lightweight champ Eddie Alvarez and Roger Huerta, a five-round title fight has been added to the mix. Season 1 tournament winner and inaugural Bellator Welterweight Champion Lyman Good will defend the title against season 2 tournament winner Ben Askren.
Bellator signs undefeated WW prospect Chris Lozano
Bellator announced the signing one of MMAs top prospects and one of my closest friends today Chris "The Assassin" Lozano
Chris has devestating power in both hands, as well as a full arsenal of kicks and a solid wrestling background.
he has been working towards this for a long time, and coming off of a one sided TKO win over UFC veteran Jason Dent, the timing seems perfect!
there are some awesome possibilities for matchups with guys like Yoshida, Blackburn, Cooper and Hornbuckle