World Series of Fighting 1 salaries: Arlovski, Johnson top $352K payroll
The full WSOF 1 payouts include:
Andrei Arlovski: $60,000 (includes $30,000 win bonus)
def. Devin Cole: $10,000
Anthony Johnson: $55,000 (includes $25,000 win bonus)
def. D.J. Linderman: $10,000
Marlon Moraes: $12,000 (includes $6,000 win bonus)
def. Miguel Torres: $18,000
Tyrone Spong: $27,000 (includes $7,000 win bonus)
def. Travis Bartlett: $4,000
Tyson Steele: $10,000 (includes $5,000 win bonus)
def. Gregor Gracie: $25,000
Brian Cobb: $12,000 (includes $6,000 win bonus)
def. Ronys Torres: $12,000
Steve Carl: $16,000 (includes $8,000 win bonus)
def. Ramico Blackmon: $10,000
Josh Burkman: $16,000 (includes $8,000 win bonus)
def. Gerald Harris: $15,000
Gesias "JZ" Cavalcante: $14,000 (includes $7,000 win bonus)
def. T.J. O'Brien: $5,000
David Branch: $16,000 (includes $8,000 win bonus)
def. Dustin Jacoby: $5,000
Company President Ray Sefo Could Fight At Second WSOF Event
Ray Sefo could soon turn in his business suit for a pair of fight trunks. For one night, anyway.
Sefo is busy with the final preparations for Saturday's WSOF 1 event, which airs on NBC Sports Network (formerly Versus) from Planet Hollywood Resort & Casino in Las Vegas. The card features notables such as Andrei Arlovski, Miguel Torres, Anthony Johnson, Tyrone Spong and more.
Could Sefo, though, soon join their ranks?
"Absolutely," he joked while in studio with MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio). "It's my promotion."
Sefo said it became much more likely after he fielded offers to fight in New Year's Eve in Japan, as well as in March in Australia. While Sefo's WSOF partners weren't initially keen on the idea, the outside offers changed their minds.
"I think they're realizing if I'm still very active, why not have it in their own league," he said. "We just talked about it [four] days ago, and they were like, 'We should talk about that.'"
Sefo said they've even discussed a possible opponent for the card, which is expected to take place in January or February.
Evangelista 'Cyborg' Santos Signs With Legacy FC, February Debut Expected
Veteran welterweight Evangelista "Cyborg" Santos has signed with the Texas-based Legacy Fighting Championship organization, officials today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).
Terms of the deal were not disclosed.
Santos, a former Strikeforce title challenger, is expected to make his promotional debut in February on AXS TV.
Santos, 34, hasn't fought since a TKO loss to fast-rising contender Jordan Mein more than 13 months ago. It marked his second straight loss.
Before the skid, the former PRIDE fighter and Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt had posted back-to-back wins over Daniel Zarate and Marius Zaromskis. The latter, which marked his welterweight debut, came in Strikeforce and set up a title shot with then-champ Nick Diaz, which Santos lost via second-round armbar.
Following the subsequent loss to Mein and with no scheduled fights on the horizon, Santos requested and was granted his Strikeforce release.
Ediane Gomes Signs New Deal, Expects To Meet Hiroko Yamanaka At Invicta FC 4
Fresh off a win in her debut with Invicta Fighting Championships, Ediane Gomes will stick around a while with the promotion.
Gomes (9-2) submitted Katalina Malungahu at Invicta FC 3 earlier this month. Now she says she's been rewarded with a new contract – and her next opponent.
Gomes told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) she has re-upped with Invicta for three more fights and will face Hiroko Yamanaka at the promotion's next show.
Gomes said she believes that show, likely Invicta FC 4, will take place around Jan. 4 in Kansas City, Kan. And for the Brazilian, who trains at American Top Team in South Florida, that's OK with her.
"I enjoyed fighting there (at Invicta FC 3)," Gomes said. "It's great. The people are nice. It's just a bit cold, but it's nice otherwise."
Watch today's Cage Warriors 49 event live on MMAjunkie.com at 4 p.m. ET
You can watch a live and free video stream of today's Cage Warriors 49 main card on MMAjunkie.com at 4 p.m. ET/1 p.m. PT. (Please note: Cage Warriors has geo-blocked the stream in the U.K. and Ireland, where you can watch the event on Sky Sports.)
The stream follows prelims on Cage Warriors' Facebook page at 3 p.m. ET.
To watch the main card, which includes a Bruno Carvalho vs. Cathal Pendred headliner, simply click .
Today's full Cage Warriors 49 card includes:
MAIN CARD (4 p.m. ET, MMAjunkie.com)
Bruno Carvalho vs. Cathal Pendred
Greg Loughran vs. Tim Newman
Faycal Hucin vs. John Michael Sheil
Merv Mulholland vs. Daniel Thomas
Lewis Long vs. Paul Redmond
Kris Edwards vs. Alan Philpott
PRELIMINARY CARD (3 p.m. ET, Facebook)
Lee Caers vs. Kevin Reed
Dino Gambatesa vs. Martin McDonough
Karl Harrison vs. Neil Seery
PRELIMINARY CARD (non-streamed)
Sam Gilbert vs. Brett Johns
ONE FC Scraps Plans For December Event, Next Show In February
ONE FC's next event will be in February, not December.
According to a ONE FC official, the promotion has scrapped a planned December event in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, due to "lack of venue options and availability." The same official said the decision was not a financial one.
As a result, the Singapore-based promotion is now planning a "big event" in February, and they are expected to hold a press conference in early December to announce more details. The promotion was planning on kicking off a flyweight tournament in December.
ONE FC has held six events in its short history and five of those cards happened in 2012.
Josh Barnett's Manager Says Fighter Not Defending King Of Pancrase Title In 2013
Leland LaBarre, the manager for Josh Barnett, denied a report that Barnett would defend his King of Pancrase title in 2013. A report circulated on Thursday that Barnett had told the promotion he would fight for them next year.
It's not true," said LaBarre, in an interview with Sherdog.com. "I guess (Pancrase) talked to Josh while (Josh) was (in Japan), and they said they would love to have him back, but there was nothing (to it)."
LaBarre said that Barnett is focused on his next Strikeforce bout and that he is "totally back" from suffering a broken hand in a loss to Daniel Cormier.
Barnett won the Pancrase open weight title in 2003. It is unknown if "The Warmaster" will follow other Strikeforce heavyweights into the UFC, but his manager seems to think so.
"If Zuffa wants Josh Barnett to fight in their UFC Octagon after Josh's last Strikeforce fight," LaBarre said, "I think that is where he'll be."
Josh Barnett to defend Japanese title in 2013
Top 10 heavyweight Josh Barnett will return to Pancrase next year to defend his openweight King of Pancrase title. The Warmaster, according to yahoo.co.jp, had a meeting with Pancrase CEO Masakazu Sakai after Barnett’s recent professional wrestling match with Shinichi Suzukawa at Inoki Genome Federation.
The meeting seems to have been fruitful. Barnett has agreed to defend his KOP title next year during the Pancrase 20th Anniversary Tour, against any opponent Sakai wants to put in front him. Barnett stated that he is a part of the Pancrase family and wants the legendary organization and its fighters to reach new heights of popularity.
Todd Harris, Bas Rutten named broadcast team for World Series of Fighting 1
Still 10 days from its debut, World Series of Fighting has made another change in its broadcast booth.
The promotion on Tuesday announced its official team to call World Series of Fighting 1 will be Todd Harris and Bas Rutten. Rutten already had been attached to the card, but Harris is a new addition.
WSOF 1 takes place Nov. 3 at Planet Hollywood Resort & Casino in Las Vegas. The event's main card airs live on NBC Sports Network.
In wake of cancellation of Sheila Gaff fight at Cage Warriors 49, Rosi Sexton says, 'I'm out!'
The fallout from Sheila Gaff pulling out of their fight may extend for more than one bout for Rosi Sexton.
Gaff and Sexton were scheduled to meet for the vacant flyweight title at next week's Cage Warriors 49 card. On Friday, though, it was announced Gaff is off the card, citing an illness.
In response, Sexton, on her official Twitter account, said she may be done with the sport – saying women's MMA has an issue with competitors' drug use.
MFC's Mark Pavelich says he couldn't promote women's MMA
Canada's Maximum Fighting Championship has been in operation for 13 years, which is a great source of pride for promoter Mark Pavelich.
Part of that staying power, he said, is rooted in putting out a consistent product. In a time when the sport's biggest promotion is flirting with women's MMA and headliners of questionable importance, Pavelich said he's sticking to what he knows.
When it comes to women's MMA, that means staying out of the game.
XFC 21 set for Dec. 7 with Eric Reynolds vs. Nick Newell title fight
A fight between Eric Reynolds (16-5) and Nick Newell (8-0) for a vacant lightweight title will serve as the headliner of Xtreme Fighting Championships' next event.
"XFC 21: Night of Champions" takes place Dec. 7 at Nashville Municipal Auditorium in Tennessee.
The six-fight main card, including a Ryan Thomas (14-7) vs. Corey Hill (6-4) welterweight co-headliner, airs on AXS TV.
World Series of Fighting 1's four-fight main card, seven prelims set
The full WSOF 1 includes:
MAIN CARD (NBC Sports Network)
-Andrei Arlovski vs. Devin Cole
-Anthony Johnson vs. D.J. Linderman
-Marlon Moraes vs. Miguel Torres
-Gregor Gracie vs. Tyson Steele
-Travis Bartlett vs. Tyrone Spong
-Brian Cobb vs. Ronys Torres
-Josh Burkman vs. Gerald Harris
-Gesias "JZ" Cavalcante vs. T.J. O'Brien
-Dave Branch vs. Dustin Jacoby
-Waylon Lowe vs. Fabio Mello
-Ramico Blackmon vs. Steve Carl