Bellator Champ Lombard Looks Ahead to UFC
Reported by Tatame and run through a translator at BloodyElbow, 185-pound Bellator tournament champion Hector Lombard says that he's unsure of his future following the conclusion of his three-fights-remaining contract with the Bellator Fighting Championships.
Weekend Results: Fred Ettish Puts Demons to Rest
It took over fifteen years, but UFC 2 competitor Fred Ettish notched his first career victory over the weekend at a local card in Brainerd, Minn.
The 53-year-old Ettish, who faced ridicule in his previous and only MMA fight, forced submission Saturday by pounding out the much younger and heavier Kyle Fletcher at 3:20 of the first round at a Cage Fighting Xtreme event promoted by UFC welterweight Brock Larson.
Ettish (1-1) entered the fight seeking redemption for a 3:07 loss at UFC 2 in March 1994.
Bellator Fighting Championships Postpones Second Season
Bellator Fighting Championships will postpone their second season from the previously announced date of October, to January of 2010.
FiveOuncesOfPain.com has recently been able to confirm the news of the promotion pushing back the date of their second season through sources close to the event.
The reason given for the postponement is that Bellator is currently trying to finalize negotiations with a new television partner.
Tim Sylvia vs. Jason Riley to headline September 18 Adrenaline event
A heavyweight match-up between Tim Sylvia and Jason Riley has been booked for an Adrenaline event scheduled to take place on September 18.
The news of the bout comes courtesy of Jason Riley himself, who confirmed the fight on his Myspace account, stating, “I will be fighting Tim Sylvia on September 18. It will be the main event for Adrenaline. It will be aired on HDNET Fights. Over 11 million people will be watching. If interested in sponsoring me please contact me on Myspace with all your contact info and I will have my manager get a hold of you. Thanks again for everyones support.”
MMA pioneer Don Frye out of Aug. 28 "M-1 Breakthrough," event moved to Kansas City
M-1 Global's Aug. 28 event, "Breakthrough," has suffered another setback as Don Frye has backed out of the evening's main event.
Frye's opponent, Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal, released the information in a recent video blog posted on YouTube.
"Don Frye, I guess, pulled out because he didn't like the location of the fight," Lawal says in the video. "It was originally supposed to be in Los Angeles, but I guess they moved it to Kansas City or something. I'm trying to still get that payday, so they're going to find a replacement to take his spot."
Sources close to the event have since confirmed Frye's withdrawal from the card with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com), as well as the relocation of the event to Kansas City.
SI.com first broke the news that "M-1 Breakthrough" would not be happening in Los Angeles in conjunction with IMMAE, an international MMA trade show. Much was made of M-1 Global's lack of a promoter's license in California, but sources close to the event point to a financial backer withdrawing its commitment as the real culprit.
While M-1 Global has yet to make an official announcement regarding a venue in Kansas City, the organization would most likely look to Memorial Hall, the same venue that hosted a June event from the company's "M-1 Challenge" team-vs.-team event series.
Sources close to the event said a replacement for Frye is likely to be announced as soon as Monday, and the show – which will be broadcast on HDNet – will go on despite the changes.
Shonie Carter vs. Derrick Noble set for Vendetta FC in September
With over 100 total professional Mixed Martial Arts bouts between them, and more than twenty years of combined in-ring experience, it might surprise some to find out Derrick Noble and Shonie Carter have never crossed paths in their notable careers.
While each has faced a number the sport’s top competitors since first testing the MMA waters, even scoring wins over the likes of Thiago Alves, Matt Serra, Chris Lytle, and Carlos Prater along the way, neither Noble or Carter have ever faced off against each other inside the cage.
Elvis Sinosic Talks About The Affliction Crash
Elvis Sinosic Talks About The Affliction Crash
I write this opinion as a fan, a fighter and a coach. It was sad to see the demise of another big MMA organization. To see Affliction collapse was sad. As a fan I have now lost another opportunity watch MMA. I lost the opportunity to watch fighters that aren’t in the UFC. So I am left with less MMA and in my opinion that is disappointing. As a fighter it means one less show that I have the opportunity to fight in. This means one less avenue which allows me to earn a living (and for all other fighters as well). Sadly no one show will be able to give every fighter and opportunity. We need more shows to give the fighters more exposure and more opportunity to fight. As a coach it means one less show for my fighters to compete in. Sadly the demise has left a hole in the sport. Hopefully in time that hole will be filled by another organization. But even still it still means one less place to share my enjoyment of MMA.
The King of Rock ‘n Rumble
Sinosic Perosh Martial Arts
UFC Pioneer Patrick Smith Loses To UFC Veteran Kevin Jordan Friday Night
A perfect 2009 came to an end last night for 46-year-old Patrick Smith, one of the competitors in the very first UFC event and the runner-up to Royce Gracie at UFC 2. He dropped a unanimous decision, 3 29-28s, to fellow UFC veteran Kevin Jordan last night at the debut event of American Steel Cagefighting in New Jersey. Jordan last fought in the Octagon at UFC 56, where he was KO'd by Gabriel Gonzaga.
Fight Path: For XFC's big man Chris Barnett, martial arts was a family affair
Chris Barnett was a solid 320 pounds when went into the Xtreme Fighting Championships tryout in October.
The Tampa gym was busy with fighters who wanted a shot at MMA, especially in an organization known to host some of the most exciting up-and-comers around. Not many of them, though, had heard about the tryout following a breakdancing back-and-forth with one of the organization's representatives, as Barnett had.
But Barnett was unusual in several ways. He had come from a taekwondo-practicing family with an Air Force father who was quiet but respected. He had been a small-college wrestler who had learned judo with a friend because, frankly, there's not much else to do in Campbellsville, Ky.
Fred Ettish to Return!
Here's one for the veteran Fan. The Long-Ridiculed Cult Figure Hopes to Exercise his Cage Demons, at 53 years of Age.
Maybe they can get Keith Hackney or someone to face him.
Tim Boetsch Talks KOTC Debut, Possible Future with Strikeforce
Former UFC light heavyweight Tim Boetsch will be back in the cage on Aug. 15 in a matchup against IFL veteran Aaron Stark at King of the Cage "Thunderstruck" in Everett, Washington.
In his UFC debut at UFC 81, Boetsch (8-3) became an immediate fan favorite with his dismantling of David Heath on ten days' notice. But one win and two losses later were enough for him to be handed his walking papers after UFC 96 in March.
FABIAN ACUNA: RING OF FIRE'S NEXT STAR?
It seems the stream of talent coming out of Colorado’s Ring of Fire event is ever-flowing, consistently producing some of the best young talent in the sport.
Latest to flow down the pipeline is Fabian Acuna, a fighter some call “The 155-pound Cung Le.”
After taking nearly six years off from the sport, Acuna returned to action in April, defeating James Martinez at Ring of Fire 34 in just over a minute-and-a-half.
Xtreme Fighting Championships heading to Germany, eyeing European expansion
The Florida-based Xtreme Fighting Championships will be the second U.S.-based MMA promotion to enter Germany, as the company has finalized plans for an event in Berlin on Dec. 12.
XFC officials today informed MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that the organization has partnered with a German-based promotion to produce a series of events in Germany, Switzerland and Austria in 2009 and 2010.
The UFC was the first U.S.-based organization to visit Germany, promoting June's UFC 99 in Cologne.
RING OF FIRE: GUNDERSON SEIZING TITLE SHOT
After continued success in the Northwest fight circuit, John “Quick Guns” Gunderson has found it difficult to break through on the national stage.
Rollercoaster results in the International Fight League (IFL) were followed up by a lengthy amount of time off due to injury, further setting back what had looked like a promising career.
Undeterred, a return to action this year has seen Gunderson go 3-1. He’s on the verge of possibly making the breakthrough into the spotlight with a title shot in the highly respected Ring of Fire promotion on Aug. 1 against tough Chilean fighter Fabian Acuna.
Ryo Chonan next fight against Jutaro Nakao at DEEP: ‘43rd Impact’ on Aug. 23
DEEP, which recently announced the acquisition of Pride FC and Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) veteran Ryo Chonan (15-10), has revealed that “The Piranha” will take on Jutaro Nakao (22-14-4) at DEEP: “43rd Impact” from the Korakuen Hall in Tokyo, Japan, on Aug. 23.
Chonan most recently competed under the UFC banner, amassing a disappointing record (1-3) with the promotion. His last outing was split decision loss to Canadian grappler TJ Grant (14-3) at UFC 97: “Redemption” this past April.
PFC (PALACE FIGHTING CHAMPIONSHIP) SHUTS DOWN, TACHI PALACE MOVING ON
The Palace Fighting Championship is no more. Well, at least in its most recent form.
MMAWeekly.com on Monday night was able to confirm with multiple sources that the Palace Fighting Championship has immediately ceased operating events at the Tachi Palace Hotel and Casino in Lemoore, Calif., severing a longstanding relationship. The promotion’s web site has also been shut down.
Filho Back To Brazil After DREAM
It's not taking long for Paulo Filho to get fights lined up for him. After his matchup with Melvin Manhoef at Monday's DREAM 10, it's back to Brazil to face Alex Schoenauer at Bitetti Combat's September 12 event in Rio. The card features several top other Brazillian fighters including Antonio Rogerio Nogueira and other notable fighters including UFC veterans Pedro Rizzo & Jeff Monson facing off plus Marvin Eastman and Glover Teixeira.
Bitetti Combat: Jeff Monson vs Pedro Rizzo in the works for Sept. 12
A heavyweight battle between stocky grappling guru Jeff “The Snowman” Monson (30-8) and former WVC heavyweight champion Pedro Rizzo (16-9) is in the works for “Bitetti Combat” from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil on September 12, according to Super Lutas.
The titanic tilt is actually a rematch from their September 2007 fight at “Art of War 3? from the American Airlines Center in Dallas, Texas. Rizzo dropped Monson midway through the third with a series of punches for what has turned out to be his only victory in his last three fights.
Leading UK MMA org folds; follows collapse of Cage Rage and Cage Warriors
Leading UK MMA promotion Cage Gladiators has today announced it has ceased operations and will no longer be staging events.
The Liverpool-based event produced a number of current UFC fighters, including Terry Etim and Paul Kelly, as well as hosting internationals such as Melvin Manhoef and Paul Cahoon.
Cage Gladiators released a statement this afternoon. "After many successful MMA events Cage Gladiators Ltd is sad to announce that it will no longer be putting on MMA events and is ceasing trading," it read.