Vendetta FC 8-Man Tourney Matchups: Marrero v Britt, Wallace v Milliard
Former UFC and WEC light heavyweight “Fury” Carmelo Marrero (9-3) and “Juggernaut” Antwain Britt (9-2) will fight in the first round of Vendetta Fighting Championships one-night eight-man light heavyweight tournament at A Night of Vengeance in Aruba Saturday 5 September, Fighters.com has confirmed.
Marrero will seek vengeance for Britt’s eight-second KO of Marerro’s American Top Team stablemate “Samuray” Antonio Mendes (2-4) in the Shine Fights premier in Columbus last May.
Bellator Season 2 Delayed, Champs Maybe To Fight Elsewhere
Following the delay of its second season, Bellator Fighting Championships is trying to secure a fight for each of its four champions “in different markets around the world” before the start of 2010. Last month, word leaked that the promotion was pushing back the expected start date of its second season from October to the first quarter of 2010. They claim this is due to scheduling of venues for the promotion's 12 consecutive weeks. Bellator's CEO said he was open to any promotion that offered “the right opportunity,” though he anticipated the champions – featherweight Joe Soto, lightweight Eddie Alvarez, welterweight Lyman Good, and middleweight Hector Lombard – would fight above their natural class if they moonlighted elsewhere.
Free agent Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal reminds the haters he's just getting started
Less than a year since his professional debut in Sengoku, multi-division prospect Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal is tired of defending his path in the world of MMA.
After a 25-second win over longtime-MMA-veteran Mark Kerr this past Saturday at "M-1 Global presents Breakthrough," Lawal raised his record to 5-0 with four TKO's.
But the 28-year-old told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio) that it just doesn't seem to be enough for many people he talks to – and Lawal said the UFC's hype machine is partly to blame.
"I guess people think I'm a veteran," Lawal said. "I'm not going to lie. Mark Kerr wasn't top competition. But my knee wasn't 100 percent. I told everybody I was 100 percent. Every fighter says they're 100 percent. I wasn't 100 percent, but I took the fight.
The Champion’s Clause: An MMA Comparative
Last week MMAPayout.com examined how Anderson Silva might avoid the “champion’s clause” in his UFC contract in order to seek the oft-rumoured boxing match with Roy Jones Jr. While Silva’s manager, Ed Soares, has sinced cleared the air with regards to Silva’s intentions, the situation nonetheless has provided an opportunity to shed more light on the champion’s clause - it may surprise you to know that the UFC isn’t the only organization with such a contractual obligation.
UFC Veterans Go DEEP Sunday: Chonan Wins, Mishima Loses Title
Sunday's DEEP 43 Impact event in Japan featured 2 former UFC stars in action, most notably the return to DEEP of recent UFC release Ryo Chonan. Chonan's return was a success, as he beat fellow UFC/PRIDE veteran Jutaro Nakao by decision, but DEEP Featherweight Champion Dokonjonosuke Mishima didn't fare as well, dropping a unanimous decision and the title to Takafumi Otsuka.
Chonan wins, Mishima losses at Deep 43
TOKYO -- Fan favorite Ryo Chonan made a triumphant return to his homeland, as he defeated Jutaro Nakao in the Deep “43 Impact” main event on Sunday at Korakuen Hall. Elsewhere, Dokonjonosuke Mishima lost his featherweight belt to Takafumi Otsuka, while Masakazu Imanari retained his bantamweight crown against Tomohiko Hori.
Sengoku 10: Antonio Silva vs Rons Sparks in the works
It has been several weeks since the World Victory Road officials have named Antonio Silva as one of the participants in Sengoku 10. Now, the undefeated super-heavyweight prospect, Ron Sparks, has surfaced as his potential opponent.
The announcement of Silva-Sparks comes at the heel of the confirmation of a series of bouts slated for Sengoku 10 that feature Nick Thompson, Ryan Schultz, and Dan Hornbuckle amongst others.
Nick Thompson suffers cut in training, scratched from "M-1 Breakthrough"
MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has learned from sources close to the fighter that UFC, Strikeforce and EliteXC veteran Nick Thompson (38-11-1) has suffered a cut in training and has been forced to drop out of "M-1 Global present Breakthrough." The loss of the co-main event contestant comes after the card was relocated from Los Angeles to Kansas City, Kan., and after main-event competitor Don Frye withdrew from the event due to the venue change.
Bellator Champ Lombard Looks Ahead to UFC
Reported by Tatame and run through a translator at BloodyElbow, 185-pound Bellator tournament champion Hector Lombard says that he's unsure of his future following the conclusion of his three-fights-remaining contract with the Bellator Fighting Championships.
Weekend Results: Fred Ettish Puts Demons to Rest
It took over fifteen years, but UFC 2 competitor Fred Ettish notched his first career victory over the weekend at a local card in Brainerd, Minn.
The 53-year-old Ettish, who faced ridicule in his previous and only MMA fight, forced submission Saturday by pounding out the much younger and heavier Kyle Fletcher at 3:20 of the first round at a Cage Fighting Xtreme event promoted by UFC welterweight Brock Larson.
Ettish (1-1) entered the fight seeking redemption for a 3:07 loss at UFC 2 in March 1994.
Bellator Fighting Championships Postpones Second Season
Bellator Fighting Championships will postpone their second season from the previously announced date of October, to January of 2010.
FiveOuncesOfPain.com has recently been able to confirm the news of the promotion pushing back the date of their second season through sources close to the event.
The reason given for the postponement is that Bellator is currently trying to finalize negotiations with a new television partner.
Tim Sylvia vs. Jason Riley to headline September 18 Adrenaline event
A heavyweight match-up between Tim Sylvia and Jason Riley has been booked for an Adrenaline event scheduled to take place on September 18.
The news of the bout comes courtesy of Jason Riley himself, who confirmed the fight on his Myspace account, stating, “I will be fighting Tim Sylvia on September 18. It will be the main event for Adrenaline. It will be aired on HDNET Fights. Over 11 million people will be watching. If interested in sponsoring me please contact me on Myspace with all your contact info and I will have my manager get a hold of you. Thanks again for everyones support.”