ANDERSON SILVA MOVING UP, MOVING ON
Weight – whether of the physical sort or the kind that puts pressure on a champion’s shoulders – is not slowing Anderson Silva down.
During a media teleconference promoting his upcoming bout with Forrest Griffin at UFC 101, his second trip to light heavyweight, Silva said he could deal with both.
On the physical side, it’s easy to see when he trains with regular partners Rafael “Feijao” Calvancante and the Nogueira brothers.
Josh Barnett to Wrestle in Japan
Josh Barnett's MMA career may be on brief hold, but his pro wrestling one isn't. "The Baby-Faced Assassin," very much in the news these days after it was announced last week that he tested positive for an anabolic steroid, which led to Affliction Entertainment canceling its upcoming event, will wrestle on Aug. 9 for Inoki Genome Federation in Japan. Barnett's manager, Shannon Hooper, confirmed the news with FanHouse on Tuesday
George St. Pierre has ‘no fear:’ UFC champ featured in Rolling Stone
“This former Montreal club bouncer isn’t huge — he’s 5-10, 170 pounds — but it hardly matters. Check any Mixed Martial Arts ranking for his class and you’ll find GSP near the top. Marketers envision him as the sport’s big breakout star — he’s the first MMA guy to pimp Gatorade, for one thing — and his win over Thiago Alves at UFC 100 could very well be the fight that does it.
Tim Boetsch Talks KOTC Debut, Possible Future with Strikeforce
Former UFC light heavyweight Tim Boetsch will be back in the cage on Aug. 15 in a matchup against IFL veteran Aaron Stark at King of the Cage "Thunderstruck" in Everett, Washington.
In his UFC debut at UFC 81, Boetsch (8-3) became an immediate fan favorite with his dismantling of David Heath on ten days' notice. But one win and two losses later were enough for him to be handed his walking papers after UFC 96 in March.
FABER SAYS HAND WILL BE 100% IN A MONTH
Having suffered a severely broken hand in his rematch with Mike Brown at the beginning of June, Urijah Faber on Monday provided fines with an update on his healing progress via his Twitter account.
“The 4th metacarple is is completely healed. The 5th is filling in. Strength training on my hands starts today!” the former WEC champion posted.
TORRES IS READY TO SHUT MAYWEATHER UP
WEC bantamweight champion Miguel Torres is looking for a fight, and it's nothing against his current opponent, Brian Bowles, but he believes a boxing champion needs to step up and compete in the true fighting art before he smack talks a sport that is sweeping the world.
Recently, former pound-for-pound boxing king Floyd Mayweather Jr., in an interview with CBS Sports, hounded the sport of MMA saying it was for "beer drinkers" and the reason the sport was created was because "there's no white fighters in boxing that's dominating." Torres, who proudly hails from a Hispanic background, is ready to prove Mayweather wrong and he's ready any time, any place.
Overeem anticipates October return.
Alistair Overeem’s next fight will happen sometime in October for either Strikeforce, DREAM or Golden Glory.
Overeem (29-11) is currently nursing a hand injury that forced him out of a Strikeforce heavyweight title defense against Fabricio Werdum at Strikeforce “Carano vs. Cyborg” on Aug. 15.
Tito Ortiz Sees the Writing on the Wall
Tito Ortiz, my man.
I have been an Ortiz fan all my life and say what you will about the Huntington Beach Bad Boy, he’s no dummy.
Ortiz is one of the most intelligent fighters in the world when it comes to business sense and it’s one of the main reasons him and Dana White butt heads so often. The two are actually a lot alike.
Belfort Willing to Fight Anderson Silva
With his “Affliction: Trilogy” fight against WAMMA champ Fedor Emelianenko, ahem Jorge Santiago, officially scrapped, former UFC light heavyweight champion Vitor Belfort is looking to make a move back to the Octagon and make a run at middleweight king Anderson Silva.
“Anderson is a great friend of mine and a big champion but I’m looking for this [fight to happen],” Belfort told OUL Esporte of Brazil. “I cannot comment much on this right now but yeah, I always want to fight the best fighters. Of course it won’t be a pleasure [being Silva’s friend] but there isn’t another way at all in the sport. Kaka and Ronaldinho (Brazilian soccer players) are friends and have faced each other many times. It is part of my work and I need it to afford milk to the children at home.”
Gegard Mousasi: ‘It’s all politics and I can do nothing but wait’
Disappointed would be an understatement to describe Dutch-Armenian fighting sensation Gegard Mousasi’s feelings following the recent cancellation of “Affliction Trilogy“.
After years of making his name overseas as one of the most dangerous men on the planet Mousasi finally had his opportunity to show the American public what he was capable of against the most dangerous foe he had ever faced in Renato “Babalu” Sobral.
‘Flo’ Job: An MMAmania.com UFC 101 interview exclusive with Kenny Florian
It’s been roughly three years since Kenny Florian’s first title shot in which he lost a bloody, five round battle to mixed martial arts veteran Sean Sherk at UFC 64.
Needless to say, a lot has changed since that juncture in his career.
Six consecutive victories over top lightweight contenders including Roger Huerta, Joe Stevenson, and Joe Lauzon and Florian once again finds himself in the familiar number one contender spot.
This time around, however, he’s a little older and a little wiser — and some may argue a completely revamped and weakness-free fighter.
What's Next for Josh Barnett and Why It Matters
1. He lost a lot of money for the Fedor fight and a chance to solidify himself as the top heavyweight fighter in MMA.
This fight was probably one of, if not, the highest-paying fights Josh was ever going to get in his life. Whether you believe the figure is $300,000 or $500,000, that’s a lot of money to make for one fight. He’s not going to get that money anywhere else – not in Japan and not in UFC. ... What Barnett has to hope for is that there is still interest in Japan to book this fight on New Year’s Eve
Antonio Silva Could Fight for Sengoku Heavyweight Title in December, Wants Josh Barnett
Antonio Silva gave Tatame some interesting news regarding the Sengoku heavyweight title picture on Sunday. Here's an excerpt (roughly translated by yours truly) from the post they've got up:
Pezão eyes title fight in Sengoku
Owner of three heavyweight championships (EliteXC, Cage Rage and Cage Warriors), Antonio "Pezão" [Silva] is training to return to Sengoku on September 23rd, and now has even more motivation to win. "I have two more fights in Sengoku, and, winning this fight... I'll fight for the title in December. They're going to create a championship and I'll fight for the title," said the American Top Team heavyweight, who is still without an opponent.
Gray Maynard has a plan: Kick Roger Huerta’s ass on Sept. 16
“I’m trying to learn how I can avoid (getting caught). If I get caught, then I’m an idiot. Because that’s part of the sport: defense. Blocking stuff, movement, which I think a lot of guys don’t do. You see offense everywhere, but if you can just move a little bit, it’s a lot easier. I’m here to win. (I’m not going to say), ‘I think it’s going to be a bloody, an unbelievable throwdown [and] we’re going to get the fight of the night check.’ To be honest, I don’t even want it to be close. I want to kick this dude’s ass. That’s the plan.”