Update on Fedor offers
According to Chad Dukes of The Lavar Arrington Show With Chad Dukes on 106.7 The Fan and announced on air today, a source apparently is telling him that the deal Strikeforce has offered Fedor Emelianenko and M-1 would be for $1 million per fight: $500k from Strikeforce and $500k from CBS for 6 fights (not sure about what happens when he doesn't fight on CBS or perhaps these are all CBS fights?). Any fight would be co-promoted with M-1 and the contract would be non-exclusive. While I was adamant yesterday about the UFC's offer being excellent for Emelianenko, if these details are true the Strikeforce deal is excellent as well. It certainly isn't as financially lucrative as what the UFC has put together, but the clear obstacle of co-promotion is entirely removed.
Fedor Emelianenko Turns Down Three-Fight UFC Contract
Fedor Emelianenko said on Wednesday that he does not intend to sign a contract with the Ultimate Fighting Championship unless the UFC agrees to promote fights jointly with Emelianenko's promoter, M-1 Global. Since then, several Web sites have reported that Emelianenko had turned down a six-fight contract with the UFC worth $30 million.
Fedor Emelianenko rejects statement from brother Aleks about true motives of Vadim Finkelchtein
By now it’s no secret that former Pride FC Heavyweight Champion and Affliction headliner Fedor Emelianenko is being vigorously pursued by most of the world’s mixed martial arts promotions following the untimely demise of his previous employer, Affliction MMA.
Topping the list of potential suitors is Dana White, president of The Ultimate Fighting Championship, who no doubt sees the biggest pay-per-view (PPV) of all time in his company’s future should he somehow finagle a heavyweight superfight between the Russian Rancor and Zuffa’s pale powerhouse, Brock Lesnar.
Paul 'Semtex' Daley Still in Negotiations with UFC, Others
British welterweight Paul "Semtex" Daley is still in negotiations with a number of promotions and a deal with the UFC has not yet been finalized, contrary to the reports Wednesday of a four-fight deal.
"These reports are premature, we have signed nothing," Daley's manager told FanHouse Thursday morning. "We're in talks with groups, one of whom includes the UFC."
The Case Against Fedor Emelianenko Signing With the UFC
It’s the David Axelrod graduate school of marketing here, but it also helps to have willing participants ready and able to carry your water. (Carmichael Dave is on KHTK in Sacramento and Dana White is a frequent guest.) Have you noticed how the campaign of information and misinformation online is working to discredit Fedor and try to paint him in a bad light? Look, we know he’s isolated and nothing is going to change and whatever happens for the rest of his career, it will be on him in regards to why he didn’t fight in UFC. If that offends you, then it offends you. Obviously he seems happy with his current business arrangements, so let him go off and do whatever he is going to do.
Emelianenko team: More to MMA than UFC
The difficulties that the Ultimate Fighting Championship has in trying to sign Russian heavyweight Fedor Emelianenko can be traced back to one prevailing attitude among his management team.
"The UFC won't be able to control the whole world," said Vadim Finkelstein, the president of Emelianenko's main promoter, M-1 Global.
Fedor Emelianenko Gives No Reason to Think He'll Sign With UFC
The heavyweight champion of mixed martial arts and the sport's biggest promoter appear to have a major sticking point in negotiations that will keep them from coming together any time soon.
Fedor Emelianenko, widely recognized as the best heavyweight in MMA, reiterated at a press conference Wednesday that he does not intend to sign a contract with the Ultimate Fighting Championship unless the UFC agrees to promote fights jointly with Fedor's promoter, M-1 Global. The UFC has offered Fedor a contract but has steadfastly refused to become business partners with M-1.
MATT LINDLAND ON AFFLICTION, LESNAR & MORE
Like it or not Matt “The Law” Lindland calls it likes he sees it.
Whether it’s his own career or commenting on the world around him, Lindland is not one to sugarcoat things.
So when Affliction recently canceled its scheduled Aug. 1 “Trilogy” show and then less than 24 hours later closed up shop on its MMA promotion to partner back up with its once-scorned business associates, the UFC, Lindland was more than willing to give his thoughts on the situation; among other recent MMA happenings.
BARNETT RESPONDS TO STEROID ALLEGATIONS
A representative of embattled heavyweight Josh Barnett on Wednesday broke her silence after a California State Athletic Commission drug test allegedly flagged him as a steroid user, effectively canceling his bout with Fedor Emelianenko at Affliction “Trilogy.”
Released to the media was a statement from Barnett's manager, Shannon Hooper of Excel Sports Management, which addressed the situation with Affliction and the CSAC.
Jeff Monson Pleads Guilty to Vandalism
Former UFC title challenger Jeff Monson pleaded guilty Tuesday to malicious mischief stemming from his charge for vandalizing the Washington State Capital, the AP reports.
Monson entered an Alford plea, which means the defendant does not admit guilt, but will accept a sentence as if he had been convicted due to the amount of evidence likely to convict him in court.
Stephan Bonnar ready to erase memory of Mark Coleman loss, would happily fight Tito Ortiz
We've all heard the rumors of Tito Ortiz's possible return to the UFC.
UFC light heavyweight Stephan Bonnar has heard them, too.
Bonnar, who recently dropped a unanimous decision to Mark Coleman at UFC 100, today told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio) he doesn't have an upcoming fight scheduled, but he's certainly willing to head the welcome wagon for "The Huntington Beach Bad Boy's" potential return to the octagon.
U.S. Army Special Forces' Tim Kennedy quits military to focus on Strikeforce career
Veteran middleweight fighter Tim Kennedy (10-2), who recently debuted and signed a multi-fight deal with Strikeforce, has opted to forgo his military career and will now focus solely on mixed martial arts.
The Green Beret's six-year military enlistment ends Aug. 4, and his terminal leave began July 10, according to a recent report from the Army Times.
Last month Kennedy unsuccessfully lobbied the National Guard for assignment to its Elite Athlete Program so he could continue both his MMA and military careers.
Dan Cramer and the Virtue of Patience
If anyone can attest to the old adage that good things come to those who wait, it’s Dan Cramer.
When last we saw him, The Ultimate Fighter 7 alum was finally gearing up for his first professional MMA fight against Matt Arroyo at January’s UFC 94. A formal debut, which was years in the making, was first delayed by school commitments, then by sanctioning issues in local shows, and finally by a broken – and then re-broken – collarbone that kept Cramer out of commission for almost four months.
Déjà vu All Over Again? Shane Nelson Hopes So
On March 7th, Shane Nelson was living the dream. The 25 year old protégé of lightweight champion BJ Penn had just improved his UFC record to 2-0 by stopping top veteran Aaron Riley via TKO in just 44 seconds and was on cloud nine.
Anderson Silva To Retire From MMA After UFC Contract Is Complete, Will Box Roy Jones Jr.
"It is undoubted that I will face Roy Jones. We have talked too much, have signed some contracts and we want to make it the sooner the better. It’s not for money or spotlight, it’s for my desire. Before that UFC is my focus. Dana treats me very well, as do all the staff of the organization. However I have to search what is better for myself. The UFC middleweight champion says he is "very satisfied with my results [in the UFC] and I want to continue this way until the end of my contract".
Will Fedor join the UFC? Who knows.
Friday could be the day dreams come true for millions of MMA fans.
UFC President Dana White is holding a conference call that day, and from various reports, the most powerful man in mixed martial arts will be making some kind of a huge announcement.
According to a report on the Los Angeles Times' Web site Tuesday, Fedor Emelianenko agreed to a deal with the UFC. However, Emelianenko's promotion company — M-1 Global — denied that, according to another report.