Pat Miletich Says He Hasn't Signed a New UFC Contract ... 'Yet'
Over the weekend, Bloody Elbow noticed that Pat Miletich's profile was put back up on UFC.com. This led to speculation that the 41-year-old MMA veteran had re-signed with the UFC. Remember, prior to UFC 101 Miletich told FanHouse that he hoped to bury his long-standing grudge with UFC president Dana White.
On Monday, Miletich told FanHouse that he had not signed a new contract with the UFC "yet," but seemed very open to the idea of making his return to the Octagon in the near future. Of course, he also said the hatchet had been buried between both sides.
Nogueira’s coach: “Couture has no punch”
“We think that Couture will fight standing against him, and Rodrigo thinks that too. Rodrigo is 100% prepared standing. I always said that this fight were good to Rodrigo, because Couture has no punch to knock him out, and Rodrigo boxes better than him… Rodrigo is prepared in the ground too and will work to submit, because Rodrigo has everything to submit him”, explained the coach. “Our strategy is stay away from the fence”.
– Luiz Alves, the Muay Thai coach for Antonio Rodrigo Minotauro Nogueira, tells Tatame.com that his fighter is set to stand and trade with Randy Couture at UFC 102 because the “Natural” doesn’t pack much heat on his feet. He may be right — Couture doesn’t have a clean knockout on his resume in 25 career fights. But that hasn’t necessarily stopped him from handling (and defeating) the big dogs, including Tim Sylvia, Chuck Liddell, Vitor Belfort, Tito Ortiz, Pedro Rizzo and Kevin Randleman, among others. Will he add “Big Nog” to that list on Aug. 29? For the record: Nogueira has one knockout, and just one technical knockout, in 37 career fights.
Chuck to dance with Anna Trebunskaya
Looking back now, it's hard to believe there was a time when we thought that continuing to fight in the UFC was the worst thing Chuck Liddell could do for his long-term health and career legacy. Then he decided to join a televised dance contest with a bunch of "celebrities" and a disgraced former congressman, and suddenly we find ourselves wishing that he'd just come back and get hit in the head over and over again instead.
Frank Mir: Fedor Emelianenko Is Ducking Top Fighters in UFC
When Frank Mir owned the UFC interim heavyweight title, he always made clear that he didn't believe his own belt made him the best heavyweight in the world: Mir, like most MMA observers, said that Fedor Emelianenko is the top heavyweight. But now Mir's opinion has changed.
Asked on the DAM Show why he thought Fedor had chosen to fight for Strikeforce instead of the UFC, Mir echoed UFC President Dana White and others who have suggested that Fedor isn't interested in proving himself against UFC champion Brock Lesnar and the other top fighters in the UFC.
Paul Buentello Plots Next Move
Paul Buentello is a man in limbo.
After his fight against Gilbert Yvel was scrapped along with the entire Affliction promotion, "The Headhunter" is one of the few fighters from the "Trilogy" card who has yet to land with a new promotion. FanHouse spoke to the 12-year veteran at the American Kickboxing Academy in San Jose about where and when he hopes to fight next. Check out the full video interview below.
Having defeated Marloes Coenen, Belgian fighter Cindy Dandois says she's ready for "Cyborg"
For a brief period in women's MMA, it seemed the fashionable thing to do was to call out fan favorite Gina Carano (7-1).
Everyone wanted a piece of "The Face of Women's MMA," knowing that a win could catapult them to instant stardom.
For Belgian fighter Cindy Dandois (1-0), Carano's just the start. Dandois, whose lone career win came against Strikeforce's top female contender Marloes Coenen (16-3), wants Carano, slugger Erin Toughill (10-2-1) and, oh yeah, champion Cristiane "Cyborg" Santos (8-1).
Shane Carwin ‘honored’ to fight Brock Lesnar at UFC 106
“I have verbally been offered the fight with Brock and I have verbally accepted this fight. My manager and the UFC are handling the the details. I am honored that the UFC has given me this opportunity. The fans of this sport are what makes MMA so great. I expect to be fighting at UFC 106 in November.”
Number one heavyweight title contender Shane Carwin shares his first public thoughts on challenging division champion Brock Lesnar at UFC 106 from the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Nevada, on Nov. 21. Carwin was expected to take on Cain Velasquez at UFC 104 on Oct. 24; however, the promotion today shifted gears and opted instead to put him up against someone his own size — Carwin and Lesnar are far and away the biggest competitors on the UFC roster. And they both have strong wrestling backgrounds. On paper, the fighters appear to be very evenly matched. However, Lesnar has dedicated himself to training mixed martial arts for the past few years. Meanwhile, Carwin still holds down a full-time job as an engineer at the North Weld County Water District in Colorado.
Cain Velasquez Talks Fatherhood, Shane Carwin and Brock Lesnar's Recent Antics
Cain Velasquez (6-0) isn't buying into his own hype.
The American Kickboxing Academy product is one of the brightest young stars in MMA, yet -- refreshingly -- he still feels he has a long way to go before being considered an elite big man. FanHouse spoke to Velasquez recently at AKA about his progression as a fighter and his upcoming bout against Shane Carwin. Check out the full video interview below.
From the cozy confines of the Abe-Ani Combat Club, on the top floor of Gold’s Gym South Tokyo Annex in Tokyo’s Ota ward, Hiroyuki Abe and company are busy at work raising a formidable -- albeit adorable -- army of little grapplers, ages 4 to 14.
It is truly a thing of wonder to have a 5-year-old shoot in on you for a double-leg takedown, and then doggedly switch to dragging you down with the single when you prove too heavy. The next surprise comes when scrambling to all fours, said 5-year-old quickly breaks you down limb by limb until it’s easier to roll you for the pin.
That a majority of these youngsters have honed these particular skills to the point of reflexivity, regardless of their opponent’s size or age, speaks to the fact that Abe has successfully bred Japan’s next generation of wrestlers, some of whom are already national champions looking to take over the combat sports world in just a few years.
Take a break from the all the stress of looking at Dana white, fighter pay, Tito, and just take a second to appreciate the beauty of this sport. This article really does make you proud to be a mixed martial arts fan.
Show Brett Rogers the Money
A lot of MMA fighters can learn a thing or two from Brett Rogers. Yes, the 10-0 Rogers who only has three years of experience under his belt. Rogers simply knows how to keep his name in the news at all times. From stealing the spotlight from Kimbo Slice after the first EliteXC on CBS show in May 2008 to just hanging around Saturday's Strikeforce post-fight conference, Rogers always seems to be around. It also doesn't hurt that Fedor Emelianenko requested to fight him after Josh Barnett could not get licensed for their Affliction.
JAMES THOMPSON KEEN ON MOVE TO STRIKEFORCE
Things have been quiet for heavyweight behemoth James Thompson, but he wouldn't have had it any other way, the break has given him a rare opportunity for introspection.
"I had some time off after the last fight to get my head together, personal problems if you will, and I feel that now things are in place in myself and I can really push forward. Making the full-time move to London Shootfighters for training is really paying dividends," he explained to MMAWeekly.com.
IS ZELG GALESIC U.S. BOUND?
“I am currently without a contract,” exclaims devastating Croatian born striker Zelg Galesic (9-4).
A Dream veteran and former Cage Rage middleweight champion, he is confident that this brief spell of unemployment is only a temporary thing, “At the moment, it is likely that I will re-sign with Dream, but some other options have come to light this week and I am looking at them closely.”
UFC Legend Matt Hughes’s Manager: It’s Time For Matt Serra To Move On
“There has not been discussion on [a rematch between former UFC welterweight champions Matt Hughes (41-7) and "Terror” Matt Serra (9-6)]. I really thought all the talking was over after the fight,” Hughes’s manager Brian Patton told Fighters.com Monday night in response to an interview Serra gave to MMA Weekly Monday in which Serra called for a rematch.
Baroni knew he would return to the UFC
Lost in the buzz surrounding the Gina Carano vs. Cris Cyborg women's title fight was the news that veteran Phil Baroni signed a new deal with the UFC.
Baroni made his UFC debut at UFC 30 in February 2001, defeating Curtis Stout via unanimous decision. He went 3-5 inside the Octagon, and was released from the organization following his loss to Pete Sell at UFC 51. FanHouse spoke to Baroni via e-mail recently about his surprising return to the UFC. The full interview is below.
As comeback fight nears, Seth Petruzelli determined to shed "Kimboslayer" label
Mention the greatest night of his professional life, and Seth Petruzelli won't give you that here-we-go-again stare, even though he's heard it all before, at least 1,001 times.
As you know – and he knows well – Petruzelli was a UFC failure 10 months ago, buried on the preliminary card of "EliteXC: Heat" and set to face Aaron Rosa before Ken Shamrock suffered a cut over his eye and was forced to back out of the main event against Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson.
Gabe Ruediger wins fourth straight, headliner Thomas Denny victorious at CalledOut MMA
Gabe Ruediger, a former cast member of "The Ultimate Fighter 5" still trying to improve his image after disastrously failing to make weight on the reality show, picked up his fourth consecutive win over the weekend.
Ruediger (15-5) submitted the previously unbeaten Wander Braga (10-1) via second-round guillotine choke at this past Saturday's CalledOut MMA event at Citizens Business Bank Arena in Ontario, Calif.
Toughill explains absence
With women’s MMA about to take its biggest step forward, one of the original pioneers of the movement will be sitting on the sidelines watching, but not by her choice.
Earlier this year Erin Toughill had been announced to participate on the undercard to Saturday night’s Strikeforce card, with the belief that she would step into the evening’s main event featuring Gina Carano and Cris “Cyborg” Santos should one of them be forced to withdraw.
Alas, it never came to fruition.