McCarthy not reffing in Vegas anytime soon
Veteran referee “Big” John McCarthy has not been issued a license to officiate events in Nevada after applying with the state’s athletic commission earlier this month.
In a mailed letter from Keith Kizer, executive director of the Nevada State Athletic Commission, McCarthy, who submitted his application Sept. 10, was informed that the state “[does] not anticipate adding any additional referees at this time. We will place your application in the pending file in case the situation changes.”
McCarthy, who has refereed nearly 600 MMA events worldwide since UFC 2 in November 1993 to March 2004, would seem a welcome addition to any commission staff, but the iconic referee said he applied with no expectations.
“I don’t look at it like that. A license to referee or judge with an athletic commission -- it’s not a right,” he said. “It’s a privilege. Everyone kept bringing up the fact that I wasn’t licensed in Nevada, so I said, ‘Alright, I’ll apply.’”
RICH FRANKLIN: Stuck in the Middle
Former UFC middleweight titleholder Rich "Ace" Franklin headlines UFC 103 against former UFC light heavyweight champion Vitor Belfort. The two will complete at a catch weight of 195 pounds; for Franklin it will be back-to-back fights at what I've coined the heavy middleweight division.
What does a win at 195 do for a fighter in the middleweight or light heavyweight division?
"That's a good question," Franklin told MMAWeekly.com. "I look at myself online sometimes and I see that I don't really have a good ranking at 205. I don't really have a good ranking at 185 anymore. I think a lot of people don't know where to put me in those weight classes, and I realize that these catch weight fights are kind of doing that to me.
The Fighters.com Interview Tim Sylvia Walked Away From
"Former UFC heavyweight champion “Maine-iac” Tim Sylvia (24-6) agreed to an interview with Fighters.com before his fight versus Jason Riley (6-1) at Adrenaline MMA 4 in Omaha Friday…until he peeped my questions.
“Chad, I am not going to do this interview,” Sylvia graciously responded. “I don’t like how this whole thing is coming accross. Sorry.”
Below are the questions that Sylvia refused to answer along with what Fighters.com could dig-up. You decide if Fighters.com’s questions were out of line. Of course, Fighters.com would prefer to put Sylvia on the record on the issues fans are chattering about. And, Fighters.com stands by everything written here as told by reliable sources, but sources can only speak from their point of view. It’s unfortunate Sylvia won’t tell his story."
Is the "Silver Back" Octogon Bound?
'Seth "The Silverback" Petruzelli may soon get a chance at UFC redemption.
More than two years after being released by the promotion with an unsuccessful run in "The Ultimate Fighter" and two Octagon losses, he says things are looking up with UFC matchmaker Joe Silva.
"I emailed Joe and said that I had won my last fight," Petruzelli tells MMAWeekly. "He said that if I won my next fight I might be able to come back to the UFC. He emailed me back and said he was looking for a fight, to give him some time." '
The bad thing is I bet he will get paired with Kimbo his first fight
Selling Kimbo Slice
"In an editing bay tucked away somewhere in Las Vegas, Kimbo Slice’s future has been decided.
Slice, who’s real name is Kevin Ferguson, was one of 16 heavyweights selected to compete on Season 10 of “The Ultimate Fighter,” which debuts Wednesday at 10 p.m. EST/PST on Spike TV.
The cast includes a diverse group of athletes, including an IFL champion, four former NFL footballers and three heavyweights who’ve already clocked time in the Octagon. But it’s Slice, who has already commanded six-figure paydays and starred in nationally run TV commercials as himself, who will be scrutinized with every interaction, remark and eyebrow-raise he makes."
Chuck Liddell Slims Down To Win Big Bosses Cash
We all knew Chuck Liddell was living large after sudo retiring following his loss to Mauricio “Shogun” Rua at UFC 97. So, large UFC President Dana White called him out and put up some cash betting the Iceman he couldn’t slim down by mid-September.
Tamdan McCrory: Whats next for the Barn Cat?
With a record of 3-3 in the UFC, it came as a surprise when Tamdan McCrory was released following his loss at UFC 101. It was first reported that he and Thales Leites, among others, were cut. Reports then came in that Dana White recalled the release of McCrory and Leites; only to retract his previous decision and approve the release.
Dana White on John McCarthy
“It’s not that I disike John McCarthy, I’m not anti John McCarthy at all. I think John McCarthy mde a decision in his career, he decided to not ref anymore. He wanted to move on. If you’re in the ref business to try and get rich … people aren’t in it to be rich, they’re in it because they’re passionate about the sport. I’ve been very lucky to meet some amazing people in my career like Mitch Halpern, the best boxing ref in the sport and he died 10 years ago and being around this guy this guy was passionate about the sport he loved the sport and it was never about the money it was about being a professional referee. And that’s what it’s about.”
Lyle Beerbohm Improves to 13-0
Lyle Beerbohm needed less than a minute and a half to defeat Josh Martin on Saturday night in an Arena Rumble MMA show, running his professional record to 13-0 and showing that Beerbohm is a talented, well-rounded martial artist who should be fighting in big promotions on TV, not in small shows on YouTube.
Paulo Filho Responds to Gegard Mousasi’s Steroids Accusation
"Former WEC middleweight champion “Ely” Paulo Filho (16-1) responded Saturday to the accusations that he is on steroids made exclusively to Fighters.com by Strikeforce light heavyweight champion “Dreamcatcher” Gegard Mousasi (22-2-1).
“People gets sad because I say the truth in my interviews, but I think he’s not enough to beat me and that’s it,” Filho told Tatame. “Mousasi didn’t like with the truth I said.”'
Aleksander Emilianenko Up For Grabs
Aleksander Emelianenko, the younger brother of Fedor, is back on the market for a new fight after announcing on his website Thursday his withdrawal from a Sept. 29 fight in South Korea.
Citing the lack of dialogue from the promoter regarding an opponent, Emelianenko has pulled out of the Fighting Mixed Combative 2 card and is accepting proposals right away so that he can return to action "as soon as possible."
Andrei Arlovski Postpones Boxing Debut to Focus on MMA, Sets Record Straight on Playing Russian Roulette
Fighters.com’s tenth-ranked heavyweight “Pitbull” Andrei Arlovski (14-7) has postponed his previously planned professional boxing debut anticipated for the end of September or early October to focus on MMA, Arlovski announced at Arlovski.com Wednesday night.
“MMA now is number one priority for me,” Arlovski assured fans during a video chat, but he hasn’t buried his squared circle aspirations, adding, “Definitely, I want to try [boxing].” Arlovski also announced he’s considering competing at a North American Grappling Association event, saying, “I’ve been working on my jiu-jitsu.”