Ryan Couture Maps Out Plans to Go Pro
"Having one of the most famous surnames in mixed martial arts, there's been a lot of attention paid to Ryan Couture's amateur fighting career. Son of legendary UFC fighter Randy "The Natural" Couture, Ryan has had five amateur bouts. With his first round submission victory over Nick Albert at Sportfight 26 on Oct. 2, Couture is eying turning pro and planning his professional MMA debut in 2010."
Chuck Liddell Sounds Like a Man Who Wants to Fight
The last time I talked to Chuck Liddell, in August, he wasn't ready to say whether he would retire from the UFC. Two months later, he still isn't ready -- but I got the sense then, and I still get the sense from a TV interview he gave Monday, that he's itching to get back into the Octagon. Video below.
Bobby Lashley in Talks With Strikeforce
Bobby Lashley, the former WWE champion turned MMA fighter, is currently in talks with Strikeforce to compete for the San Jose-based organization, FanHouse has learned.
The MMA rookie hasn't fought since his June 27 victory over Bob Sapp on the Prize Fight Promotions "Ultimate Chaos" pay-per-view, and still has two fights left on his contract with that organization. However, talks have heated up over the last few weeks with Strikeforce about Lashley making his debut on the Nov. 7 CBS show, headlined by Fedor Emelianenko vs. Brett Rogers. As of Thursday morning, though, no deal has been signed.
MFC Champ Antonio McKee: 'I'm the Best Wrestler in MMA'
Antonio McKee has been known to fight a methodical (safe) style due to small paydays, but now that there's more money involved, he plans on shedding his reputation of decisions at Friday's MFC 22 against Carlo Prater in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.
"You're going to get a standup war in this fight," said McKee, who has been undefeated since a 2003 decision loss to Karo Parisyan. "If I lose this fight it's because I stood up and I tried to bang and I got caught."
In this exclusive interview with FanHouse, McKee explains his safe fighting style in the past that sacrificed entertainment, and why he believes there is no lightweight out there that can beat him – including UFC champ BJ Penn.
Rashad Evans Discusses Kimbo Slice vs. Roy Nelson: I Wanted Roy to KO Kimbo
The Kimbo Slice vs. Roy Nelson fight that will air Wednesday night on Spike TV was set up by former UFC light heavyweight champion Rashad Evans, Nelson's coach this season on The Ultimate Fighter. And Evans said in an interview with FanHouse that he set up that fight for one reason: He wanted to see Kimbo get knocked out, and he thought Nelson was the man to do it.
That wasn't intended as a slight toward Kimbo, whom Evans says he likes. It was intended as a slight toward Rampage Jackson, Evans' coaching rival, whom Evans says he desperately wanted to beat on the show -- just as he desperately wanted to beat him in the Octagon before Jackson walked away from the UFC to pursue an acting career. Jackson made Kimbo his first choice when the coaches picked their teams, and Evans said he thought Nelson was just the man to whip Jackson's first-round draft pick.
Herschel Walker challenges Dana White to fight, forgets to plug Strikeforce on ESPN2
To the casual sports fan, Herschel Walker's appearance on today's edition of "ESPN First Take" was probably a bit confusing.
On ESPN2's daily morning sports show, the 47-year-old NFL veteran championed mixed martial arts and made some boastful claims about his talent level – but forgot to mention a single time that he had been signed by Strikeforce.
Instead, the conversation mostly focused on the UFC and Walker's open challenge to fight company president Dana White.
Liddell, St.Pierre, Evans Among Six Initial Figures Round 5 UFC Series
Its landmark marketing partnership freshly in place, Round 5 is pleased to announce the members of the first series of collectible figurines under the UFC brand, a group of six accomplished fighters, as announced today by Barron Lau, Round 5 CEO and co-founder and Damon Lau, president and co-founder. Figurines for stars Chuck “The Iceman” Liddell, George “Rush” St. Pierre, “Suga” Rashad
Evans, Kenny “KenFlo” Florian, Clay “The Carpenter” Guida and Lyoto “The Dragon” Machida are scheduled to be available at retail and at www.Round5MMA.com early next year.
The six collectibles will be presented in a new UFC-themed packaging that includes action photos of each respective fighter’s memorable moments as well as a short biography.
“These six athletes provide a strong, varied base for our first UFC series,” said Damon Lau. “There are established champions like Chuck Liddell and George St. Pierre, popular up-and comers like Rashad Evans and Kenny Florian and guys like Clay Guida and Lyoto Machida who have loyal, growing followings.”
“We think fans will really connect to these collectibles through their detail and the enhanced packaging,” said Barron Lau. “We want them to feel that by owning a Round 5 figurine, they, in a sense, own a piece of that fighter.”
The issuance of UFC Series 1 signals the discontinuation of the previous Round 5 Series. The remaining inventory from the 17 figurines issued in the previous four Series under that brand will continue to be available while supplies last. Limited editions and other special versions of the UFC Series 1 athletes are also in the planning stages.
Payment Due: Kimbo's Time has Come
'“I’m not a mixed martial artist, I’m a fighter. I’m gonna fight him, win or lose.”
Such were the words of Kevin “Kimbo Slice” Ferguson when his fight against Roy Nelson was announced for this week’s episode of “The Ultimate Fighter: The Heavyweights.” And perhaps this simplicity is the appeal of the man who built his initial reputation in backyard brawls on YouTube."
'Rampage' Leaves Evans in Limbo
"When rumors of Quinton Jackson’s withdrawal from their highly hyped Dec. 12 bout reached Rashad Evans, he hoped against hope the news was nothing but Internet banter.
It was not. Evans and the rest of the mixed martial art world received the news that Jackson would indeed shirk his commitment to fight Evans, his fellow coach on this season of “The Ultimate Fighter,” at UFC 107 in Memphis, Tenn. "
Interview with Roger Huerta
"Lightweight Roger Huerta is in Austin, Tex., spending time with his family and healing up from his fight with Gray Maynard at UFC Fight Night 19. MMAWeekly caught up with him recently to discuss his future plans.
MMAWeekly: Were you happy with the fight last week?
Huerta: I was really happy with my performance. I think I’ve improved a lot, dramatically, where I don’t fight too wild. I was really focused on Gray and what he does good, which is obviously his wrestling and his striking. I felt that the fight could have gone the either way, but then again, it’s my fault for not finishing when I had chances and letting it go that far."
Trigg Dropped, Readded Over EA Video Game Involvement?
"The real reason Frank Trigg was dropped from his UFC contract and then quickly undropped? Dana White was furious when he found out Trigg was a part of the upcoming EA Sports MMA video game. White had decreed no one who had signed with EA, in competition with his own UFC games, would ever fight for his promotion. "
This explains a bit.
History and the Checkered Hero
"In the wake of his loss to Junior dos Santos, Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic told the world that the places in his mind once filled with a focus on kicking opponents in the head had been replaced by thoughts of fishing in Privlaka.
Given the dismal turn the former K-1 standout's career has taken in the last two years, it comes as little surprise that he's thinking about calling it quits. Nonetheless, the stark and one-sided beating he took from the Brazilian heavyweight prospect last Saturday at UFC 103 has led to fans and pundits alike wondering how we came to this point, where MMA's formerly most feared striker has been relegated to a disappointing also-ran in a division he was supposed to reign over with impunity."
Is Condit Back on Track with a UFC Win?
"Former WEC welterweight champion Carlos Condit has now officially nabbed his first win inside the Octagon. One of the prizes of the WEC, there was a lot of hype upon Condit’s original foray into the organization, when he headlined UFC Fight Night 18 this past April opposite of Xtreme Couture’s Martin Kampann, losing a close split-decision.
His most recent performance, another split-decision, this time in the New Mexico native’s favor, would prove to be one of Condit’s toughest test’s to date. He took on veteran Jake Ellenberger, whose list of victims read legend Jose Landi-Jons and UFC veterans Zach Light and Gil Castillo, all by way of knockout."
Out of ADCC 2009, Kyra comments her injury
Kyra explained her injury. “I had this problem at the Worlds. I made a lot of physiotherapy, but this week I trained hard and felt again. The pain was so strong that there wasn’t even a position to sleep“, regrets the black-belt, that won’t need surgery. “I went to the doctor and he said it’s a slipped disk. Now I gotta rest, make physiotherapy, there isn’t much to do“.
Chute Boxe leader talks Machida vs. Shogun
“That’s a tough fight, really tough, and I think that, when we talk about team partners, Lyoto is more consistent, but Shogun is a brave guy and can overcome. We have to wait, I think is 50% for each. They’re two top athletes, Lyoto is on an extraordinary phase, and Shogun has that impetus. And don’t know with whom he’s training, and I think that maybe this partners can make the difference”, said Fedrigo, in the exclusive interview you can read here.
Kenny Florian Talks Broadcasting Career, Changing Training Camps, Clay Guida
Kenny Florian has been hanging out recently with the Tapout crew on their nationwide tour, but next week he will head to Montreal, QC, to train at the Tristar Gym for his UFC 107 fight against Clay Guida.
FanHouse spoke to Florian on Wednesday about the tour, how he remains neutral while commentating on fights and why he decided to leave Team Sityodtong. The full video is below.
Kenny Florian and Marc Dellagrotte go their separate ways.
With all the excitement over the past few days of fights, news of Kenny Florian leaving Sityodtong Muay Thai and Mixed Martial Arts, sort of flew under the radar.
Long time trainer Marc Dellagrotte confirmed the split through an interview with Fighter’sOnly.com stating, “There are no hard feelings. Me and Kenny have been good friends for a long, long time. We did good thing together. I think this is a good decision for both of us. I think he is going to do well, I think the people he is going with are some of the best in the world. It wasn’t a bad break or anything like that, it was just a mutual decision we made in order for us both to move forward. It was necessary for Kenny to move forward with his career and me to move forward as a coach.”
Wanderlei Silva to Film Reality TV Show
A reality show competition is currently in the works that will feature Wanderlei Silva scouting aspiring fighters for his Wand Fight Team, and FanHouse has confirmed that the show will be broadcasted on a television network to be announced.
An open casting call will be held Nov. 14 at the Wand Fight Team Training Center in Las Vegas. According to Silva, 10 fighters will be selected and invited to his camp.