Rogers won round 1 and should have finished Fedor on the ground
In this MMA Access feature, Mike Reilly from Team Bison (Brett Rogers’ head trainer) talked with PDG about Brett’s main event fight in Strikeforce, the training leading up to the fight and what is next for the formerly undefeated heavyweight.
PDG: You mentioned that before; that even though none of Brett’s fights had gone to the ground you guys had been working on his ground game extensively.
Mike Reilly: That is my background and is really the base for a lot of the things that we do during training. Brett has very good round skills, he is extremely difficult to submit and so we weren't surprised at all about how Brett performed on the ground during the first round. We knew that Fedor’s best option was to stay in the half guard because if he made any effort to gain the full mount he would have been reversed. Brett did a good job getting back to the guard, reversing and then landing a couple of good shots. I think part of the problem in this fight was that our game plan consisted more of the standup game and maybe we should have surprised Fedor with more of an emphasis on the ground game.
Getting to Know Lester Griffin
Better Know a Judge: Lester Griffin, the Guy Who Scored It 30-27 for Forrest
UFC 106's Griffin/Ortiz rematch was a tricky one to judge, not just because the first two rounds were fairly even, but because it was contested both on the feet and on the ground — and as we've seen many times in the past, MMA judges can have vastly different opinions on the relative value of each aspect of a fight. In the end, Glenn Trowbridge saw it 29-28 for Tito Ortiz, while Marcos Rosales had it 29-28 for Griffin. The deciding vote was cast by a guy named Lester Griffin, who, from his angle, witnessed a one-sided shellacking. His 30-27 score for Forrest Griffin was later described as "crazy," "outrageous," and "insane" by Dana White.
Some interesting footage of "stick fighting" that I've never seen before...very interesting.
Josh Burkman returns from year layoff, picks up weekend KO win
Josh Burkman, a cast member from "The Ultimate Fighter 2" who was once one of the UFC's most promising welterweight prospects, returned from a 13-month layoff and posted a first-round stoppage victory over the weekend.
Burkman (19-8) defeated "TUF 5" cast member and fellow UFC vet Brandon Melendez (22-15) via first-round TKO at the Nov. 20 Throwdown Showdown 5 event in Utah.
Brock Lesnar Returns Home To Heal
Brock Lesnar has returned home after having surgery for an infection in his intestinal tract.
Larry Novotny, a friend of Lesnar, on Tuesday told ABC affiliate KSAX-TV that the UFC heavyweight champion is recuperating after an 11-day stay in a local hospital where he underwent several tests and “a minor surgery.” Lesnar’s primary home is in Alexandria, Minn.
Novotny said Lesnar may need to undergo further surgery, but would see how the healing process went. At that point, a decision would be made whether Lesnar would be able to continue fighting.
Eiler's Killer Sentenced
CALDWELL -- A Nampa man accused of killing his stepson last Christmas will spend up to 15 years in prison.
Back in September, a Canyon County jury convicted 48-year-old James Malec of voluntary manslaughter in the death of 30-year-old Justin Eilers.
Eilers was a pro mixed-martial arts fighter and former Nampa High School wrestler.
Deputies say Malec shot Eilers in a disturbance that escalated during a family gathering on Christmas night 2008.
Arona injures knee; surgery is a possibility
"I’m coming from the doctor now, deciding what to do with my knee. I’ll have to stop for a while, maybe I’ll have to make a surgery... If I’ll make the surgery, will be for now“, said the though guy, explaining how did he get hurt. “I had a serious injury that got worse during the fight, when my foot got stucked on the grid. It was the only thing that went wrong and caused a lot of trouble“, said the ex Pride’s fighter, who was rated to sign with Strikeforce. “I couldn’t close any contracts because of that“, finished.
Mir: "I want to end Brock Lesnar's career".
Mir: "I want to end Brock Lesnar's career"
Former UFC heavyweight champion Frank Mir has one goal left in his career - and it is not the one you might think. In a recent interview, Fighters Only asked him what he most wanted to achieve before retirement. His answer came in a heartbeat.
“To end Brock Lesnar’s career,” he replied instantly. “ Really, it’s what I think about all the time. Brock Lesnar exploited a huge weakness in my game and no matter who I crush after this, I have to crush him to show I’ve improved that weakness.
“It’s nothing about how he talked to me in my last fight, I could care less about it. If I took it that personal there are other ways to handle situation like that outside of a cage, but honestly I just want to fix what was exploited,” he explained. “If you’re a true martial artist you don’t do it for money or titles, just to be the best human being possible, and if someone exploits a weakness, who better to see if you’ve fixed it than the guy who exploited it.
“Getting the title back, it’s a nice novel idea, but even being the heavyweight champ or the interim champ, I got to be honest, I didn’t really feel that different walking around… Some people think that with the belt, that you made it. Nah, you didn’t make ****. You won a fight, just the fight happened to have more ribbon and bells and whistles on it. Bottom line, [its about] testing yourself!”
Mir, who fights Cheick Kongo at UFC 107, made the comments on Lesnar in a six-page feature interview that appears in this months edition of Fighters Only, at all good magazine stockists now.
That's the whole article, but here's the link:
I know Mir says a lot of bizzare stuff, but I still like the guy. It would have reflected better on him if he said something to the effect of "I want to be the guy that beats him for the title" or " I want to settle the score", but he didn't. All I know is I'd love to see him beat Lesnar one more time. I think we have quite a wait though before he gets the chance.
Nogueira vs. Velasquez Now Set For UFC 108
A heavyweight showdown between Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira and Cain Velasquez has been confirmed for UFC 108 in Las Vegas.
The possibility of the bout arose last week when Nogueira’s manager talked about the fight to SportTV. MMAWeekly.com has since been able to confirm the bout with multiple sources, who say it will happen on Jan. 2. ...
'Henderson Not Signed Anywhere'
Dan Henderson remains an unsigned commodity, the fighter’s business partner and manager, Aaron Crecy, told Sherdog.com late Thursday, responding to a new report that states the top-five middleweight has signed with Strikeforce.
“Dan hasn’t signed anywhere,” said Crecy.
Crecy has stepped forward twice in the last three weeks to counter claims that his client had signed with the UFC’s biggest U.S. competitor. In mid-October, the middleweight and his managerial team also squashed reports that Henderson was close to signing a deal with Strikeforce.
Henderson and the UFC have been stuck on the monetary terms of a new five-fight agreement since late July. In that time, UFC President Dana White has described the renegotiations as anywhere from “stalemated” to “done.”
However, Sherdog.com has direct knowledge from multiple parties involved that talks between both sides have continued the entire time and even into this week.
On Wednesday, White again commented publicly about Henderson.
“I guarantee you 1,000 percent that Dan Henderson is signed by Strikeforce,” White told Yahoo Sports.
Crecy said the statement is 100 percent false.
“Anyone that would report that is misinformed,” he said.
Strikeforce Signs Zaromskis
Dream welterweight champion Marius Zaromskis has come to terms on a multi-fight contract with Strikeforce, according to officials within the promotion.
An emerging superstar at 170 pounds, the 29-year-old Lithuanian could make his promotional debut on Dec. 19 at the HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif. Zaromskis will still compete inside the Japan-based Dream organization, which has formed an alliance with Strikeforce.
Josh Barnett receives second extension for CSAC steroid appeal
Affliction Grim Reaper and former PRIDE star Josh Barnett has applied for — and received — a second extension for his appeal directed towards the ruling of the California State Athletic Commission (CSAC) after he was popped for steroids in a random drug test prior to his August 1 bout against Fedor Emelianenko, according to Sherdog.com.
“The Babyface Assassin” returned a positive “B” sample on July 31, all but confirming his initial test result that began a downward spiral for his employer and fellow fighters.
Barnett’s positive test led to Affliction MMA’s house of cards to come crashing down, calling it quits as a fight promoter and returning to the UFC as a corporate sponsor with its clothing brand. Several intriguing fights were scrapped as a result, forcing fighters to search for work elsewhere … Barnett included.
The former UFC Heavyweight champion issued a press release last month, calling into question the integrity of those results alleged by the CSAC — who does have a fairly sordid history dating back to the Sean Sherk scandal and beyond.
From his official press release:
Mr. Barnett was shocked at these allegations and was extremely disappointed to learn that Affliction had made the hasty decision to cancel the August 1st event in its entirety. Mr. Barnett vehemently denies intentionally ingesting any banned substances in preparation for the August 1st fight and he is looking forward to presenting his case to the California State Athletic Commission.
Barnett is appealing this most recent steroid finding with the CSAC but was likely counting on his second “B” sample to help dispute the initial positive result.
In light of this new development, Barnett will not be eligible to reapply for a license to fight in the United States for at least a year, forcing him to remain exiled in Japan until then. With a FieLDS Dynamite!! card looming and a successful wrestling career; however, it may not be too difficult to find work.
Bas, Miletich & More talk Shogun v Machida
Bas Rutten – “Its going to be a great fight! Shogun is the better striker (hands), kicking wise I think he has the same skills as Machida he might kick harder though plus he has those crazy knees. Shogun is wilder than Machida, Machida is great at staying outside the opponents distance and countering the attacks that are thrown at him. The trick to beating Machida is to let him attack you and counter him, since he's a counter fighter you will take that away from him. Machida is more accurate then Shogun with his strikes but Shogun has a wider arsenal of strikes. Difficult one to predict, from what I hear from EVERYBODY who trains with Machida, they can't touch him. If he plays that game (thank God for 5 rounds) and counters the strikes from Shogun, he wins the fight. If one of those crazy combinations from Shogun comes through though, he will win. No prediction from me, I just break down the fights, I suck at predictions! Godspeed and party on!”
Shawn Tompkins: Chris Horodecki Heading to the WEC
According to trainer Shawn Tompkins, MMA lightweight Chris Horodecki will be heading to the WEC. "It looks like Chris Horodecki will be showing up in the WEC," Tompkins revealed in a recent conversation with FightHype.com. Although contracts have yet to be finalized, Tompkins seemed confident that a deal would be in place within the next couple of days.
Wren thinks Jackson is not a coach
5. It sure looked like Rampage and his coaches gave little support to their fighters after they lost. What was your impression?
Justin Wren – “I absolutely have to agree with you. I heard Rampage saying it was the editing but even though his fighters liked him; look at the last TUF he was on and his record was 1-7. From the day I got there I knew I didn’t want to be on his team and I don’t think it has anything to do with the editing. He really did just ditch his fighters and to be honest he is no coach. I was really fortunate to be on Rashad’s Team.”
Dan Henderson's Camp Says No Deal With Strikeforce Is Imminent
Dan Henderson is currently an MMA free agent considering all his options, but his camp says he is not close to signing a deal with Strikeforce or any other promotion after his negotiations with the UFC stalled.
Responding to a Yahoo Sports report that Henderson is "on the verge of signing" with Strikeforce, Henderson's friend and business partner Aaron Crecy said that wasn't the case, and that no signing with anyone is imminent.
Can CBS bring Fedor to the masses?
The new CBS commercial featuring Fedor Emelianenko drew a mixed reaction from the MMA faithful this week – a slick product, yes, but late in the game.
The 33-year-old Emelianenko, who faces heavyweight hopeful Brett Rogers Nov. 7 at Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Rogers on CBS, has been the people’s champion for legions of fans who live and breathe the sport.
Most of them, however, know that those outside their circle will spell success or failure for the network event.
CBS had some of both when they promoted three MMA cards last year under the banner of the now-defunct EliteXC. The first and last events, bolstered by Kimbo Slice and Gina Carano, were unqualified ratings triumphs. The second, void of fighters with crossover appeal, drew poorly.
Advertising for the Strikeforce event began a little over a month ago, leading many to question the network’s commitment to the promotion, and by proxy, the sport.
CBS Senior Executive Vice President Kelly Kahl said his network will put its best foot forward in the buildup to Nov. 7, but asked the faithful to help CBS hit a home run.
“MMA fans seem to seek a greater acceptance, and nothing helps better than calling your friends and saying ‘you’ve got to check this out,’” he said.
The network ran several 10-second spots for the event during the past two weekends of NFL coverage, the first salvo in what Kahl said was the start of a comprehensive campaign. He said the network was assembling footage for new promotional spots and said the volume – and scope – of advertising would be increasing shortly, expanding to cable, radio, and the web.
Henderson, UFC Fail To Come To Terms
Dan Henderson’s career with the Ultimate Fighting Championship has ground to a close in a contract stalemate, and the former two-division PRIDE champion appears on the verge of signing a deal with the rival Strikeforce promotion.
Henderson, 39, devastatingly knocked out Michael Bisping in the second round of their heavily hyped fight on July 11 at UFC 100 in Las Vegas, in the final fight of his contract.