With more cuts inevitable, UFC boss not interested in staring-contest champions
While the pending merger between the UFC and WEC has been largely applauded by MMA pundits and fans, there are likely a few Zuffa-contracted fighters who are concerned about their fighting futures.
After all, with more athletes under contract than fights available to book, the new-look UFC will be forced to let go of a substantial amount of fighters in the new year.
UFC president Dana White said it's an unfortunate reality of the fight game, but it's no different than any other professional sport. Besides, perform well and White said you'll have nothing to fear.
"These are the big-leagues, man," White said. "It's no different than Major League Baseball, no different than the NFL. You perform, or you go away."
Signs Point to Parisyan’s UFC Release
It appears as though Karo Parisyan (Pictured) will not see the inside of the Octagon again anytime soon.
Following a first-round technical knockout loss to Dennis Hallman at UFC 123 on Saturday in Auburn Hills, Mich., UFC president Dana White told reporters Parisyan would “have to figure out the next chapter of his life” and implied that the judo convert had run out of chances with the promotion.
In an interview with MMAFighting.com, White said in no uncertain terms that he feels Parisyan “can’t perform [in the UFC] anymore” and agreed when asked if Parisyan was “done.”
Sonnen Has Been Undergoing Hormone Replacement Therapy For at Least the Past Year and Assumed CSAC Knew
According to the story, Sonnen has been undergoing hormone replacement therapy since before his fight with Yushin Okami, which he reported to and was given clearance to fight by the California State Athletic Commission prior to the the bout. Because it is a permanent treatment Sonnen allegedly assumed his doctor prescribed required testosterone treatment would be on file, and thus never re-reported it to the commission.
Testosterone levels can drop off for various reasons, including age, hereditary reasons or because of stress the endocrine system is due to a number of variables, not limited to repeated weight fluctuation and dehydration caused by weight cutting.
Bisping Potential UFC 127 Headliner
Michael Bisping's next fight will be at UFC 127, which takes place at Acer Arena on Feb. 27 in Sydney, Australia.
“The Count” released the news in his video blog, posting the announcement to his Web site Thursday morning. The Brit also gave an indication that he would fight in the show's main event, possibly against Jorge Rivera.
“Obviously a certain someone who was supposed to fight recently but didn't has been talking s--t about me...says we're going to fight soon. I don't know if that is to be the case or not, but I’m keen to find out exactly who my next fight is going to be,” said Bisping.
Bisping is referencing two reports that ran last weekend regarding the potential fight. The possibility of the matchup first surfaced in Germany during UFC 122, when Rivera's opponent Alessio Sakara withdrew from their fight at the last minute to gastroenteritis. On Sunday, Rivera's manager spoke with MMAWeekly regarding Rivera fighting Bisping in the near future.
UFC President Dana White: This Is Tito Ortiz’s Last Stand
One last shot.
That’s what Tito Ortiz asked for, and that’s what Tito Ortiz is going to get.
After losing a three-round decision to Matt Hamill at UFC 121, most people felt that Ortiz, after years of calling the UFC home, would be shown the door out of the Octagon. Mounting a record of 0-4-1 in his last five fights, that is what UFC president Dana White thought about Ortiz’s future as well.
“I thought I was gonna cut him, too,” he told MMAWeekly.com, when posed with the idea that most people thought Ortiz would be cut loose after UFC 121.
But just last week in Germany, White said that Ortiz would be returning to the Octagon in early 2011 to fight Antonio Rogerio Nogueira. The UFC president didn’t reveal a date or location, but it is widely believed to be taking place in Abu Dhabi in March.
Ludwig Requires Surgery for Broken Hand
UFC veteran Duane “Bang” Ludwig will undergo surgery to repair a broken right hand sustained in the first round of his split decision victory over Brit Nick Osipczak at UFC 122 at the Konig Pilsener Arena in Oberhausen, Germany.
Ludwig tweeted the news Wednesday morning, announcing that he had broken his right hand in two places during his victory and would see a new specialist today. A few hours later, the Grudge Training Center product announced that he would require surgery. It is unknown at this time when Ludwig will undergo the procedure. Sherdog could not reach Ludwig for comment.
Jonathan Goulet Decides To Hang Up His Gloves
French Canadian mixed martial artist Jonathan “The Road Warrior” Goulet has announced his decision to call it quits on his career. Goulet entered the UFC octagon nine times in his career and recorded a 4-5 record. On his career, Goulet earned himself a 23-12 record.
Nogueira vs. Tito Ortiz in the works for 2011
With two wins in three fights in the UFC, Rogério “Minotouro” Nogueira revealed he wanted to return to the as soon as possible, but it looks like he’ll have to wait until 2011. According to souces close to his camp, Nogueira will face the former UFC light heavyweight champion Tito Ortiz, who lost four of his last five fights, in 2011. TATAME.com called Rogerio, who didn’t confirmed the news, but revealed he also head Ortiz’s name. “I’ve heard some rumors of this fight, but there’s nothing signed. In my last fight they said about (Quinton) Rampage and they changed to Ryan Bader”, Nogueira said. Stay tuned for more news about the UFC.
Pedro Rizzo vs. Tim Sylvia - Winner Gets UFC Contract
"Dana White mentioned that the winner should get another chance in the Ultimate Fighting Championship."
"As the date hasn’t been set, it’s just a verbal agreement, so I’m getting back to light training. But I want to have a good performance. Who knows? Maybe I’ll manage a return to the UFC. I feel really comfortable fighting in that Octagon. I feel leaving there was the biggest mistake of my career, my great regret."
9 Fights Signed for ‘St. Pierre vs. Koscheck 2’
Ring of Combat veteran Rafael Natal (Pictured) will lock horns with promotional newcomer Jesse Bongfeldt in a preliminary middleweight matchup at UFC 124 “St. Pierre vs. Koscheck 2” on Dec. 11 at the Bell Centre in Montreal. Nine fights are now official for the event, which will air live on pay-per-view.
Zuffa Fills UFC 123 Injury Void
English lightweight Paul Kelly (Pictured) will meet T.J. O’Brien in a preliminary matchup at UFC 123 “Rampage vs. Machida” on Nov. 20 at The Palace of Auburn Hills in Auburn Hills, Mich. O’Brien replaces the injured Gabe Ruediger at the event, which will air live on pay-per-view.
Paulo Filho loses to unbeaten prospect over the weekend
Not too long ago, Brazilian grappler Paulo Filho was considered to be one of the top three middleweights in MMA. However, he has since lost his luster as the result of a slew of shakey in-ring performances over the past few years, as well as a handful of incidents involving both questionable personal and professional behavior.
Frank Shamrock Blames Dana White for Negative Perception of MMA in New York
As much as UFC president Dana White and the UFC have done to help build the credibility of MMA around the world, White is also one of major the obstacles keeping the sport from being legalized in New York, according to Frank Shamrock.
"The face of our sport is Dana White and out here in conservative New York, the way people think, bald-headed, tattoo'd, swearing people are just not a good representative of our brand and unfortunately people think that Dana White speaks for MMA, and they're confused," Shamrock said Monday on The MMA Hour. "They don't know he speaks for the UFC. They think he speaks for the entire sport and [they think] the entire sport is made up of Dana Whites.
Condit Wants Winner of Kampmann vs. Shields
Former WEC welterweight titleholder Carlos Condit stunned the O2 Arena in London by knocking out favored Dan Hardy in the first round of their important 170-pound matchup at UFC 120 on Saturday.
“This was definitely the biggest fight of my career, fighting on the co-main [event],” said Condit. “[Defeating] Dan in his backyard at the O2 Arena is the biggest win of my career so far.”
This marks the third straight victory for “The Natural Born Killer” inside the Octagon since he was defeated in his debut by Danish striker Martin Kampmann at UFC Fight Night 18 in 2009. Avenging that loss, along with a 2006 defeat to newly-signed Jake Shields, is at the forefront of the New Mexican’s mind.
Victorious Bisping Looking for Wanderlei Rematch
“I feel I’ve grown as a fighter. If I can’t do it now I’m never going to do it,” he asserted.
That’s not to say that the confident Brit has his sights set on champion Anderson Silva just yet. Instead, he has another Silva in his sights.
“I’d like to fight Wanderlei again, definitely,” said Bisping, referring to his disputed loss to the Brazilian earlier this year. “I would even consider coaching 'The Ultimate Fighter' against him.”
UFC 120 Bonuses: Four Fighters Bank $60K
Before his encounter with Carlos Condit, Dan Hardy had never before been knocked out. In MMA, such streaks are notoriously fleeting.
Condit parked Hardy with a left hook and follow-up ground strike, as he banked a $50,000 “Knockout of the Night” bonus in the UFC 120 “Bisping vs. Akiyama” co-main event on Saturday at the O2 Arena in London. The 26-year-old Condit clipped Hardy with a crackling left hook that sent him to the mat in a semi-conscious state and finished off the Team Rough House standout soon after. The end came 4:27 into round one.
Cheick Kongo: 50 percent of MMA fighters take steroids
"50 percent [of MMA fighters take steroids], if not more.... What can I say, other than we need to stay away from all of that. It's not easy to put things into perspective, especially if you believe that you have a disadvantage from the get go. For some athletes, it's hard to hold up physically and mentally- the pressure, the obligation to stay on top - everything pushes you to take steroids. For me, PEDs aren't the solution. Taking PEDs jeopardizes your health and it's cheating. I am a fighter; I owe my victories to my hard work, my training, the fact that I push myself beyond the limit, the sacrifices I make to a life almost entirely dedicated to sports. Nothing else. Stay away from the needles. You can succeed without them."
Nearing 50, Renaissance jock Herschel Walker breaks fitness rules
(CNN) -- Javier Mendez, a mixed martial arts trainer for 32 years, scoffed when he heard that retired NFL star Herschel Walker, who's nearing 50, wanted to compete in ultimate fighting. "Yeah, I didn't think he could do it," Mendez said. "I thought it was a joke." Walker had been out of football for 12 years. Aging football players tend to get flabby, play golf or relive the spotlight under "Dancing With the Stars."
Arlovski Tweets That He's Out of K-1
When K-1 announced the pairings for Saturday's Final 16 event, it made a special point of emphasizing the presence of former UFC heavyweight champion Andrei Arlovski.
So much for that.
Although his fight with Raul Catinas has been announced as happening in less than four days, Arlovski wrote on Twitter that he is not going to be there.
"I would like to confirm that I am not participating in the K-1 on October 2nd," Arlovski tweeted on Tuesday evening.