Jon Olav Einemo's UFC debut uncertain following Shane Carwin's promotion at UFC 131
Jon Olav Einemo (6-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC) is without an opponent following Brock Lesnar's withdrawal from UFC 131 and Shane Carwin's promotion to headliner opposite Junior Dos Santos.
Einemo's trainer, Golden Glory's Martin De Jong, was unaware of the change when contacted today by MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) and began a scramble for answers with an expletive.
UFC president Dana White said today that Einemo's future is currently undetermined. Asked whether a replacement is on the way for the Norwegian fighter, he said, "Not yet."
Ryan Couture Gets Matt Ricehouse for Strikeforce Challengers 16
Ryan Couture, the son of recently retired UFC Hall of Famer Randy Couture, is set to face undefeated Matt Ricehouse at Strikeforce Challengers 16 on June 24 in Kent, Wash.
Strikeforce announced Couture's opponent Wednesday as well as the main event featuring Caros Fodor against James Terry.
Couture (2-0) began his professional MMA career at Strikeforce Challengers 10 last August, submitting Lucas Stark with a triangle choke in 75 seconds. His second fight this past February took a little longer, but also resulted in a submission when Couture finished Lee Higgins with a rear-naked choke in the third round.
Mike Dolce Not Working With Quinton 'Rampage' Jackson for UFC 130
Mike Dolce, one of the key members of Team Quinton "Rampage" Jackson for the last couple of years, has not been helping Jackson prepare for his UFC 130 fight against Matt Hamill.
Dolce, a fighter who was a cast member on the seventh season of The Ultimate Fighter but has gained notoriety as of late for his work as a nutritionist and strength and conditioning coach, had been working closely with Jackson since his UFC 92 fight against Wanderlei Silva.
The pair didn't have a falling out, however, Dolce was just already booked to work with Thiago Alves for his fight against Rick Story at the same event.
Grappling stud Robert Drysdale finds early success in MMA, eyes UFC title in five years
What Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza and Demian Maia can do, so can Robert Drysdale (2-0). That's the thinking, anyway.
Transitioning from high-level grappling competitor to high-level mixed martial artist was made to look easy by the Strikeforce champion Souza and former UFC No. 1 contender Maia. It's not. Ask somebody like Andre Galvao, who has had mixed results so far in his career.
The jury is still out on what level of success Drysdale will eventually attain after making his metamorphosis, which remains in the early stages.
Chad Mendes: Fighting for UFC title would be 'unreal'
Chad Mendes can't think of a better time than August to fight featherweight champion Jose Aldo.
"That's perfect," says Mendes, the No. 3 featherweight in the USA TODAY/SB Nation consensus rankings. "Right after my last fight, it was something that was talked about, so it's been in the back of my head, and I've been looking forward."
Extensive article, pretty good read
Bellator Signs Wand Fight Team Instructors Michael Costa and Vitor Vianna
Bellator Fighting Championships is on a signing streak… or is it a Wand Fight Team signing streak?
The promotion on Tuesday announced that it had signed Michael Costa a second Wand Fight Team instructor in less than a week. Just a few days ago, Bellator also signed Vitor Vianna. Costa is Wand Fight Team’s Muay Thai instructor, while Vianna is the team’s jiu-jitsu instructor.
Costa, besides being a Muay Thai black belt under Chute Boxe founder Rafael Cordeiro, is also holds a Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt under Royler Gracie. The welterweight fighter holds a 10-5-1 record and has fought across the globe, including bouts in Japan and China.
Chael Sonnen Put Back Under Suspension in California
UFC middleweight Chael Sonnen will not be meeting with the Nevada State Athletic Commission in May as originally planned. He instead finds himself under suspension again in California and will appear before the state’s athletic commission next week to appeal its recent decision.
Sonnen had been trying to regain his license to fight again in Nevada, thinking his time had been served in California.
When asked about Sonnen’s current status in Nevada, NSAC executive director Keith Kizer, in an e-mail response, directed MMAWeekly.com to the California State Athletic Commission.
UFC champ Frankie Edgar says UFC 130 cancellation due to bulging discs
Bulging discs, not his rib injury, ultimately were the reason UFC lightweight champion Frankie Edgar was forced out of a UFC 130 title fight with Gray Maynard on Monday.
In fact, he told UFC.com, he planned to fight through both injuries.
But as UFC officials recently announced, the fight instead was scrapped when Maynard also fell victim to injuries, and their headlining spot has been replaced by Quinton "Rampage" Jackson vs. Matt Hamill.
If victorious in UFC 130 co-headliner, Roy Nelson expects a title shot
Fighting Frank Mir is somewhat of a concession for Roy Nelson.
But it's probably the best concession he would have gotten considering that Brock Lesnar was numero uno on his list, and he can earn a living without worrying about a court injunction.
Oh, and the winner of fight will get a title shot, or so Nelson believes. If Mir is the best route to the belt, it's not too bad of an alternative.
"I'll fight anybody, and I want to fight everybody, but whatever is going to get me to the top fastest," Nelson told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).
The two meet at UFC 130, which takes place May 28 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. The bout was previously scheduled for the event's main card but on Monday was promoted to co-main-event status when a headlining bout between lightweight champ Frankie Edgar and challenger Gray Maynard was scratched due to injury.
Dave Branch vs. Jeremy May co-headlines Shark Fights 15
A middleweight bout between UFC veteran Dave Branch (8-2) and Jeremy May (9-7) has been tapped the co-headliner of this month's Shark Fights 15 event.
Officials today announced the booking.
Although broadcast plans haven't been announced, Shark Fights 15 takes place May 27 at Santa Ana Star Center in Rio Rancho, N.M. Middleweights Joey Villasenor (27-8) and Chris Camozzi (14-4) headline.
UFC's Jacob Volkmann won't shut up until he gets a meeting with the President
Quinton "Rampage" Jackson has a chain. Chuck Liddell has a mohawk. Chael Sonnen has his mouth.
They are the marks of a fighter's personality and the things that identify them to the rest of the world. They are as much a part of a fighter's brand as the style brought to the cage. Just about every high-profile competitor has a defining feature.
Jacob Volkmann would like to make Obamacare his.
"Even though people don't want me to do it, I don't care," he told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).
Nik Lentz vs Charles Oliveira signed for UFC Live 4
Once-beaten Brazilian prospect Charles Oliveira will lock horns with Minnesota Martial Arts Academy representative Nik Lentz (Pictured; file photo) in a featured lightweight matchup at UFC Live 4 “Marquardt vs. Johnson” on June 26 at the Consol Energy Center in Pittsburgh. Eleven fights are now official for the event, which will air live on the Versus network.
Oliveira (14-1, 2-1 UFC) finds himself on the rebound for the first time as a professional, having submitted to a first-round kneebar from the world-ranked Jim Miller at UFC 124 in December. The 21-year-old won the 2008 Predator Fight Championship welterweight grand prix in his native Brazil and has secured 13 of his 14 career victories by knockout, technical knockout or submission. A Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt under Jorge Patino, Oliveira was awarded “Submission of the Night” honors in his first two UFC appearances. Six of his last nine fights have ended inside one round.
Weekend Rundown: Downes Survives Scare, Wins Outside Octagon
Taking a tuneup fight with a regional promotion is a risky move for any fighter under Zuffa contract, and UFC lightweight Daniel Downes nearly demonstrated why.
An import from the World Extreme Cagefighting merger, the 25-year-old Roufusport product had not fought since WEC 53 in December, when he became the first man to top Chinese prospect Tiequan Zhang. Still without a date for his Octagon debut, Downes competed Friday night under the North American Fighting Championship banner at the Potawatomi Bingo Casino Expo Center in Milwaukee, and found himself in danger early against Tory Bogguess, a lesser-known veteran of the Midwest circuit.
UFC Heavyweight Roy Nelson Wants Three Minute Rounds
Roy Nelson is a multi-tasker. While preparing for his May 28 fight with Frank Mir at UFC 130, he is also trying to come up with ideas to improve the sport. Nelson recently spoke to ESPN.com and shared his reasoning for why he thinks three minute rounds are the way to go for MMA.
Rampage Jackson to leave MMA when money is right with Hollywood, still wants Rashad Evans
It was gonna be an exciting fight. Those are the types of fights I'd watch. I'll watch Chuck fight every time he fights. I wouldn't watch a Rashad Evans fight or a "Queen" Mo fight. I wouldn't watch those guys fight but I'll watch Chuck Liddell fight."
Chuck Liddell was recently forced into retirement by Dana White and the UFC due to his growing number of knockout losses. The guys who had built him up into this indestructible force just couldn't bear to see him take so much punishment.
Jackson can be thankful that the same hasn't happened to him yet. He still possesses his iron clad chin that helped him gain the UFC light heavyweight title. He still has the speed and the skills to be competitive with most of the guys at 205 pounds, but that doesn't mean Jackson isn't about to call it quits.
Mike Brown rested, healed and ready to come back 'with a bang'
Less than two years ago, Mike Thomas Brown was the scariest featherweight in the sport.
Now, the 35-year-old mixed martial artist is fighting for job security after a dismal start to his 2011 fight campaign that saw the former WEC Featherweight Champion lose back-to-back contests to Diego Nunes (UFC 125) and Rani Yahya (UFC Fight for the Troops 2).
In fact, the American Top Team standout is 2-6 since dropping his 145-pound strap to Jose Aldo at WEC 44 in late 2009, including a shocking knockout loss to Manny Gamburyan at WEC 48 just a couple of months later.
Del Rosario's trainer says fighter facing legal distractions, potentially difficult recovery
Shane Del Rosario (11-0 MMA, 3-0 SF) isn't in the clear just yet.
The Strikeforce heavyweight was involved in an April 14 automobile accident when an allegedly intoxicated driver struck his car, which was waiting at a stoplight in Laguna Niguel, Calif.
Now Del Rosario's trainer, Colin Oyama, said there's some concern whether or not the undefeated heavyweight will ever return to action, and he's facing some distracting legal proceedings while helping to prosecute the woman that hit him.
Nick Diaz vs. Jeff Lacy Purse and TV Information
I had the chance to talk to Jeff Lacy's manager, Joey Gilbert, about the deal between Strikeforce welterweight champion Nick Diaz and former world super middleweight boxing champion Jeff Lacy to square off in a boxing match. Gilbert shared some very interesting information about the bout.