Ellenberger healing following successful surgery, eyes Top 10 opponent in return
Jake Ellenberger is a lucky man.
Rather than a mass of ravaged bone and tendon, he broke a single metacarpal on his left hand – the fourth one, to be exact – when he knocked out Sean Pierson this past Saturday at UFC 129. He'll be able to hit stuff again in six to eight weeks following corrective surgery he underwent Tuesday.
That means no zombie hand, as recently seen with UFC bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz's left paw following months of abuse.
As for who Ellenberger (25-5 MMA, 4-1 UFC) is eyeing following his fourth-consecutive win in the UFC, he told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that he'd like a top-10 opponent and feels he's earned the opportunity.
With Tristar training, UFC 129 win, Rory Macdonald looks to move up the ladder
Rory MacDonald may have just needed a change in scenery.
A half-year after moving from his hometown of Kelowna, British Columbia to Montreal, Quebec, to work with Firas Zahabi at Tristar Gym, the Canadian welterweight is hitting his stride.
With a key victory over Nate Diaz (13-7 MMA, 8-5 UFC) this past Saturday at UFC 129, the 21-year-old MacDonald (11-1 MMA, 2-1 UFC) feels he's ready for the best the division has to offer. Yet he said his skills are still a work in progress, which means he's going to be one scary guy in two or three years.
"I have many years ahead of me, and I have a lot to learn," MacDonald today told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio). "I'm going to be much sharper every time you see me in the octagon because my life is training, literally."
Gus Johnson leaves CBS
Richard Deitsch of SI.com broke some news earlier today that many MMA fans will undoubtedly be pleased to hear. Veteran announcer Gus Johnson, who has covered Strikeforce events on Showtime and CBS as well as EliteXC events in the past, will no longer be working with CBS Sports after 16 years of employment:
NICE! One of the top 3 worst commentators in mma is gone.
Jason 'Mayhem' Miller Upset About Being Unaware Of Strikeforce, CBS Ban
May 3, 2011 - I've tried to be sober about criticism of Strikeforce. As an organization with limited financial or logistical capacity, I've found their shortcomings to be as real as they are understandable. However, there's nothing reasonable about the alleged treatment given to Jason Miller during his last year in the Strikeforce. While the controversial fighter and TV host certainly took it upon himself to squander good will from executives, that's a very different concern than being properly informed of his marginalization.
Gabriel Gonzaga gets first post-UFC fight, meets Josh Barnes June 25th at MMAX
In his first fight since his release from the organization, former UFC title challenger Gabriel Gonzaga (11-6) meets Bellator and EliteXC vet veteran Josh Barnes (6-5) in June.
MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) today confirmed the matchup with event sources.
Gonzaga and Barnes meet June 25 at MMA Explosions' "MMAX: Heavyweight Xplosion" event.
The event is expected to take place at the Hard Rock Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas.
UFC 129 medical suspensions: St. Pierre, Hominick, Couture and Brilz out 60 days
Seven fighters – including main-card competitors Georges St-Pierre, Mark Hominick, Randy Couture and Jason Brilz – received 60-day medical suspensions following Saturday's UFC 129 event.
MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) today obtained the list of suspensions from the Ontario Ministry of Consumer Services' Office of the Athletics Commissioner.
All fighters from the April 30 card received suspensions of at least 14 days.
Champ Georges St. Pierre ok after UFC 129 eye injury, expected to recover
Welterweight Georges St-Pierre did not sustain any permanent damage to his vision this past Saturday at UFC 129.
The welterweight champion got poked in the left eye during the sixth defense of his title, which came in the event's headliner against Jake Shields (26-5-1 MMA, 1-1 UFC).
Trainer Greg Jackson today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that St-Pierre (22-2 MMA, 16-2 UFC) suffered internal bleeding in the eye, which severely affected his ability to fight, but is expected to make a full recovery.
UFC 129 Results: Sickness Slowed Jose Aldo During His Bout Against Mark Hominick
Jose Aldo dominated the first round of his UFC 129 bout against Mark Hominick. Shortly after the second round started though, the champion seemed visibly tired. Commentator Joe Rogan speculated that it could be a result of a bad weight cut, bringing up that Aldo was light headed and had to excuse himself during the Q&A portion that featured the 7 UFC champs. It seems that wasn't the case though.
BE Reader fafefifofo, brought up that right before Rogan interviewed Aldo, he complained to his corner that he should have taken antibiotics. Bloody Elbow's Tom Mendes of Brazil was able to confirm this
Hatsu Hioki, 'Lion' Takeshi Inoue Victorious at Shooto Tradition 2011
Japanese featherweight kingpin Hatsu Hioki, considered by many to be one of the best featherweight fighters in the world, extended his winning streak to four as he defeated King of the Cage bantamweight champion Donald Sanchez in non-title action at Shooto Tradition 2011 this past weekend. Hioki impressively slapped on a triangle choke from full mount before transitioning to his back at the 1:36 mark of the second round to secure the victory.
Hioki's future is still up in the air at this point. The 27-year-old Nagoya-born grappler hasn't mentioned any plans to move stateside to the UFC, but his 12-1-1 record over the last three-and-a-half years would suggest that the time has come for him to tread into deeper waters. With regional stars like Marlon Sandro, Eduardo Dantas, and Michihiro Omigawa making their way stateside, it seems inevitable that Hioki would do the same.
UFC 129 results: Nate Diaz 'probably' dropping back down to lightweight after loss to Rory MacDonald
Nate Diaz has apparently worn out his welcome in the welterweight division.
The younger brother of Nick Diaz initially had a strong showing with consecutive stoppages in his first two 170-pound fights, against Rory Markham and Marcus Davis, respectively, but has now lost back-to-back fights to strong grapplers in Dong Hyun Kim and Rory MacDonald.
Diaz's coach, Cesar Gracie, tells MMAmania.com his fighter out of the "209" will likely return to 155-pounds
After title shot loss, UFC 129's Jake Shields hopes for one more shot before retirement.
TORONTO – His decision to stick to the game plan was crap. His inability or unwillingness to deviate from it was even crappier.
No, you don't have to tell Jake Shields this.
Following a UFC 129 main-event title loss to welterweight champ Georges St-Pierre – his first defeat in 16 fights and more than six years – Shields was as hard as anyone on himself.
"Obviously I'm not happy," he told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) following Saturday's UFC 129 event at Toronto's Rogers Centre. "I went in there, and I came up short. Georges has great stand-up, and he kept me away. I couldn't get him down. He did a great job of stuffing my shots."
Leites Outpoints Horn at Superior Challenge 7
STOCKHOLM -- Saturday’s “Rise of Champions” card decided three belts in a wild night of fights and close decisions at Superior Challenge’s seventh outing, held at Hovet Arena.
In a duel between former UFC title contenders, Thales Leites captured the vacant Superior Challenge middleweight title in a tight and protested decision against Jeremy Horn.
“My strategy was to wait and see his gameplan,” said Leites after the fight.
Horn decided to keep the fight standing in a wait-and-see match, leaving the judges a tight fight to decide.
With Cain Velasquez healing, champ will probably headline UFC 136 in Houston
TORONTO – With Cain Velasquez reportedly recovering nicely from a recent shoulder surgery, UFC president Dana White is eyeing a fall return for his heavyweight champion.
Following Saturday night's UFC 129 post-event press conference at Toronto's Rogers Centre, White told a small group of reporters that Velasquez will likely return at the as-yet-unannounced UFC 136 event, which is expected to take place in Houston and coincide with the company's second UFC Fan Expo of 2011.
"Probably," White said when asked if Velasquez would headline the card. "I think that would make a lot of sense."
Georges St. Pierre vs Nick Diaz hurdles exist but UFC president open to idea
TORONTO – The UFC's current crop of welterweights has little to offer, and with a super fight with middleweight champion Anderson Silva apparently unlikely, what's next for 170-pound titleholder Georges St-Pierre?
It was the big question after St-Pierre's decisive but heavily panned decision victory over Jake Shields in Saturday's UFC 129 main event.
But UFC president Dana White has a potential solution: a fight with Strikeforce welterweight champion Nick Diaz.
UFC President Dana White Tells Tito Ortiz to Put Jenna Jameson 'On a Leash'
You'd think Dana White would learn. He was forced to apologize after calling Loretta Hunt (then of Sherdog) a "******* dumb bitch" and her anonymous source a "faggot" and a "*****" in April of 2009 (video here). (As a side note, try to find video of the apology. The UFC took down the official video (it was the lead in to a fight week video blog), and I've had no luck finding a transcript. If I remember correctly, the apology was more PR move than legitimate remorse.)It looked like Dana White had himself under control. Sure, he'll always have that aggressive and abrasive Alpha Male personality, but it seemed as if someone got in his ear and told him to, you know, think before you say something.
Dana White admits hands may be tied with Nick Diaz's boxing aspirations
TORONTO – Boxing is looking better than ever for Nick Diaz.
Two weeks after the Strikeforce welterweight champion's manager announced the fighter would take a break from MMA for a high-profile pro-boxing fight, the UFC appears receptive to the idea.
Of course, the boxing match is in Diaz's current contract.
"What I'm going to do is I'm going to sit down with Nick," UFC president Dana White today said. "I like the Diaz brothers. I'm going to sit down with him, and we'll figure out what he wants to do."
Chuck Liddell Thinks Jake Shields Will Upset Georges St. Pierre
Chuck Liddell knows a thing or two about defending a championship. The "Iceman" captured the UFC light-heavyweight title and held it for two years before relinquishing the crown. Georges St. Pierre has held a UFC belt even longer. He won the undisputed welterweight title in April 2008, so a successful title defense over Jake Shields at this weekend's UFC 129 will make it three years and counting at the top.
Liddell, though, has his doubts about St. Pierre getting there. In a Monday interview on The MMA Hour, Liddell said he thinks the challenger is likely to walk away with the belt.
"I'm siding with Jake," Liddell said. "Jake's going to have to take him down. I'm expecting him to be in great shape for the fight. He'll be in great shape for GSP. But yeah, I expect him to take him down and finish him."
B.J. Penn: 'Teammates Have to Fight Each Other'
If you're a UFC fighter who's unhappy about being pressured into fighting your friends and teammates, don't come crying to B.J. Penn.
The former UFC welterweight and lightweight champion said on Monday's edition of The MMA Hour that it's all part of the game, and fighters should plan accordingly.
"I think teammates have to fight each other, and I knew that the whole time," Penn said. "That's why I would always distance myself. Of course they have to. I always thought it was B.S. that [Josh] Koscheck and [Jon] Fitch wouldn't have to fight, but they can just keep taking turns going for title shots, but they never had to fight each other? That doesn't make sense."