James Thompson Shakes Up His Training for Fight with World’s Strongest Man
James Thompson has had a rougher ride than most in his MMA career, blighted by dodgy decisions, political manifestos, and by his own admission a hot-headed approach when things get feisty, all of which have contributed to an MMA record that belies his skill and potential.
He is on the cusp of probably the most relevant fight of his career, against five-time World’s Strongest Man Marius Pudzianowski in the Polish KSW promotion.
Mark Coleman mulling retirement but hopeful for Herschel Walker fight
In reacting to news of the UFC's recent accident-insurance policy, Mark Coleman calls himself a former fighter. He then stops himself.
"Well, not a former fighter," Coleman recently told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "I may fight again. But probably my UFC days are over."
The 46-year-old UFC Hall of Famer admits that his athletic career is on borrowed time. But there is one fight that would make him feel young again.
UFC confirms Brendan Schaub vs Big Nog at UFC 134 in Brazil
Yes, heavyweights Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (32-6-1 MMA, 3-2 UFC) and Brendan Schaub (8-1 MMA, 4-1 UFC) will fight at UFC 134.
UFC officials today confirmed the rumored main-card bout.
MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) reported the likelihood of the bout earlier today and said officials were "leaning" toward the matchup. Sportsnet.ca first reported it.
The Aug. 27 event is set for HSBC Arena in Rio De Janeiro. The pay-per-view headliner pits middleweight champion Anderson Silva against Yushin Okami.
Strikeforce: Jeff Monson vs Daniel Cormier booked for June 18 in Dallas
Some "snow" is headed for Texas next month.
That's because Jeff Monson has apparently been signed by Zuffa and will take on Daniel Cormier at the upcoming Strikeforce: "Overeem vs. Werdum" event on June 18 in Dallas, Texas.
Cormier made note of the booking on his Twitter and ShoSports has added the bout to the fight card on its website.
Shane Del Rosario was originally scheduled to meet "DC" at the event; however, a car accident forced him out of action for an indefinite period of time.
Brendan Schaub’s Management States Fight with Nogueira at UFC 134 Not Offered, But Would Gladly Accept
Brendan Schaub really wants to fight Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira in Brazil, but the only problem is right now the fight hasn’t been offered.
Reports surfaced on Sunday stating that verbal agreements were in place for Schaub to face Nogueira in Brazil at UFC 134. According to Sportsnet.ca, the bout had been verbally agreed by both fighters.
Now Schaub’s manager Lex McMahon from Alchemist Management has confirmed to MMAWeekly.com that at this time the fight has not been offered, but if it is they will gladly accept.
'Minotauro': I'm fighting at UFC 134
Former interim UFC heavyweight champion Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira revealed Saturday on Brazilian TV show “Globo Esporte” that he will fight at UFC 134 “Rio” on Aug. 27.
Nogueira was discussing the surgeries he underwent last year -- including one on his hip and a reconstructive procedure on his knee -- when he declared that he will compete on the card, which takes place at the HSBC Arena in Rio de Janeiro.
“The biggest MMA promotion in the world will be back in Brazil after 14 years and I’ll be there, steady and strong.”
Who do you think he will fight?
John Howard Still Wants to Shut Anthony Johnson’s Mouth, but Takes Kampmann Fight as Compliment
Coming off of back-to-back losses, John Howard will likely be fighting for his UFC survival in his next bout.
It’ll be Doomsday vs. the Hitman when he squares off with Martin Kampmann at UFC on Versus 4 on June 26 in Pittsburgh. Howard had been angling for a fight with Anthony Johnson – a fighter he has verbally sparred with in the media lately – after losing to Thiago Alves in his last fight.
“My beef with (Johnson) is that he went online talking all of this trash (saying) ‘I’m going to stand and bang (with Dan Hardy).’ Then he threw one high kick and took him down for 15 minutes. Really?” Howard explained on MMAWeekly Radio Weekend Edition. “That’s my beef, he talks so much crap… I’m so sick of him… he talks so much trash and he doesn’t back it up.”
Wesley “Cabbage” Correira Arrested on Charges of Burglary and Theft
Former UFC fighter Wesley “Cabbage” Correira isn’t doing so well outside the cage.
Correira on Thursday plead not guilty in Hilo Circuit Court to charges of first-degree burglary and second-degree theft, according to a report from Hawaii’s Tribune-Herald.
Police arrested Correira on Wednesday for allegedly burglarizing a home in September 2009. He apparently took a television and assorted electronic equipment and games valued at approximately $4,200, according to the report. The second-degree theft charge stems from an incident on April 8, when he was accused of taking an iPhone from behind the counter of a store.
Correira is currently in custody with bail set at $19,900.
Benson Henderson vs Jim Miller on top for next edition of UFC on Versus
Jim Miller's new lot in life may be testing the mettle of former WEC lightweights. After destroying Kamal Shalorus at UFC 128 many were calling for Miller to get a crack at the lightweight championship. After all, Miller had run off seven consecutive UFC wins and only Gray Maynard and Frankie Edgar hold wins over him.
With Edgar and Maynard injured and their third fight postponed, a title fight wasn't coming any time soon and it now appears that former WEC lightweight champion Ben Henderson is next.
Jon Olav Einemo's UFC debut uncertain following Shane Carwin's promotion at UFC 131
Jon Olav Einemo (6-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC) is without an opponent following Brock Lesnar's withdrawal from UFC 131 and Shane Carwin's promotion to headliner opposite Junior Dos Santos.
Einemo's trainer, Golden Glory's Martin De Jong, was unaware of the change when contacted today by MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) and began a scramble for answers with an expletive.
UFC president Dana White said today that Einemo's future is currently undetermined. Asked whether a replacement is on the way for the Norwegian fighter, he said, "Not yet."
Ryan Couture Gets Matt Ricehouse for Strikeforce Challengers 16
Ryan Couture, the son of recently retired UFC Hall of Famer Randy Couture, is set to face undefeated Matt Ricehouse at Strikeforce Challengers 16 on June 24 in Kent, Wash.
Strikeforce announced Couture's opponent Wednesday as well as the main event featuring Caros Fodor against James Terry.
Couture (2-0) began his professional MMA career at Strikeforce Challengers 10 last August, submitting Lucas Stark with a triangle choke in 75 seconds. His second fight this past February took a little longer, but also resulted in a submission when Couture finished Lee Higgins with a rear-naked choke in the third round.
Mike Dolce Not Working With Quinton 'Rampage' Jackson for UFC 130
Mike Dolce, one of the key members of Team Quinton "Rampage" Jackson for the last couple of years, has not been helping Jackson prepare for his UFC 130 fight against Matt Hamill.
Dolce, a fighter who was a cast member on the seventh season of The Ultimate Fighter but has gained notoriety as of late for his work as a nutritionist and strength and conditioning coach, had been working closely with Jackson since his UFC 92 fight against Wanderlei Silva.
The pair didn't have a falling out, however, Dolce was just already booked to work with Thiago Alves for his fight against Rick Story at the same event.
Grappling stud Robert Drysdale finds early success in MMA, eyes UFC title in five years
What Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza and Demian Maia can do, so can Robert Drysdale (2-0). That's the thinking, anyway.
Transitioning from high-level grappling competitor to high-level mixed martial artist was made to look easy by the Strikeforce champion Souza and former UFC No. 1 contender Maia. It's not. Ask somebody like Andre Galvao, who has had mixed results so far in his career.
The jury is still out on what level of success Drysdale will eventually attain after making his metamorphosis, which remains in the early stages.
Chad Mendes: Fighting for UFC title would be 'unreal'
Chad Mendes can't think of a better time than August to fight featherweight champion Jose Aldo.
"That's perfect," says Mendes, the No. 3 featherweight in the USA TODAY/SB Nation consensus rankings. "Right after my last fight, it was something that was talked about, so it's been in the back of my head, and I've been looking forward."
Extensive article, pretty good read
Bellator Signs Wand Fight Team Instructors Michael Costa and Vitor Vianna
Bellator Fighting Championships is on a signing streak… or is it a Wand Fight Team signing streak?
The promotion on Tuesday announced that it had signed Michael Costa a second Wand Fight Team instructor in less than a week. Just a few days ago, Bellator also signed Vitor Vianna. Costa is Wand Fight Team’s Muay Thai instructor, while Vianna is the team’s jiu-jitsu instructor.
Costa, besides being a Muay Thai black belt under Chute Boxe founder Rafael Cordeiro, is also holds a Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt under Royler Gracie. The welterweight fighter holds a 10-5-1 record and has fought across the globe, including bouts in Japan and China.
Chael Sonnen Put Back Under Suspension in California
UFC middleweight Chael Sonnen will not be meeting with the Nevada State Athletic Commission in May as originally planned. He instead finds himself under suspension again in California and will appear before the state’s athletic commission next week to appeal its recent decision.
Sonnen had been trying to regain his license to fight again in Nevada, thinking his time had been served in California.
When asked about Sonnen’s current status in Nevada, NSAC executive director Keith Kizer, in an e-mail response, directed MMAWeekly.com to the California State Athletic Commission.
UFC champ Frankie Edgar says UFC 130 cancellation due to bulging discs
Bulging discs, not his rib injury, ultimately were the reason UFC lightweight champion Frankie Edgar was forced out of a UFC 130 title fight with Gray Maynard on Monday.
In fact, he told UFC.com, he planned to fight through both injuries.
But as UFC officials recently announced, the fight instead was scrapped when Maynard also fell victim to injuries, and their headlining spot has been replaced by Quinton "Rampage" Jackson vs. Matt Hamill.
If victorious in UFC 130 co-headliner, Roy Nelson expects a title shot
Fighting Frank Mir is somewhat of a concession for Roy Nelson.
But it's probably the best concession he would have gotten considering that Brock Lesnar was numero uno on his list, and he can earn a living without worrying about a court injunction.
Oh, and the winner of fight will get a title shot, or so Nelson believes. If Mir is the best route to the belt, it's not too bad of an alternative.
"I'll fight anybody, and I want to fight everybody, but whatever is going to get me to the top fastest," Nelson told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).
The two meet at UFC 130, which takes place May 28 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. The bout was previously scheduled for the event's main card but on Monday was promoted to co-main-event status when a headlining bout between lightweight champ Frankie Edgar and challenger Gray Maynard was scratched due to injury.
Dave Branch vs. Jeremy May co-headlines Shark Fights 15
A middleweight bout between UFC veteran Dave Branch (8-2) and Jeremy May (9-7) has been tapped the co-headliner of this month's Shark Fights 15 event.
Officials today announced the booking.
Although broadcast plans haven't been announced, Shark Fights 15 takes place May 27 at Santa Ana Star Center in Rio Rancho, N.M. Middleweights Joey Villasenor (27-8) and Chris Camozzi (14-4) headline.