UFC Quick Quote: Jorge Santiago thought Brian Stann would be an easy fight
Easy does it for middleweight masher Jorge Santiago, who tells Tatame.com that his performance against Brian Stann at this past weekend's UFC 130: "Rampage vs. Hamill" event on May 28 in Las Vegas can be attributed to a lackadaisical attitude toward the match-up. "Sandman" thought he could sink "All American" quickly but was instead felled in the second round via brutal knockout after eating quite a few big shots from the former Marine.
Follow link for Santiago quote
Georges St-Pierre vs. Nick Diaz set for UFC 137 in Las Vegas
The hurdles have apparently been cleared.
Despite his recent insistence that a bout between current UFC champion Georges St-Pierre (22-2 MMA, 16-2 UFC) and Strikeforce title holder Nick Diaz (25-7 MMA, 6-4 UFC) was anything but a done deal, UFC president Dana White today announced the two welterweights will clash in the main event of the previously unannounced UFC 137 event.
Edit: Diaz's manager, Cesar Gracie, did tell USA Today that the St-Pierre fight is part of a new eight-fight contract for Diaz that allows the current Strikeforce champ to compete in both Strikeforce and the UFC
No Fitch? No problem. Rick Story just wants to fight the UFC's best
Following his UFC 130 win over Thiago Alves this past Saturday night, UFC welterweight Rick Story (13-3 MMA, 6-1 UFC) expressed his desire for a bout with perennial contender Jon Fitch.
Fitch subsequently claimed he wasn't interested in a fight with Story, citing potential bouts with B.J. Penn or Georges St-Pierre as the only contests the appeared truly interesting.
That's just fine, Story today told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio). Fitch might be out of commission too long, anyway. Story has hie eyes on the title, and he wants to stay busy on his way to the top.
Despite initial frustration, White says Mir's UFC 130 performance admirable
LAS VEGAS – On Saturday night, UFC president Dana White said he was frustrated that former heavyweight champion Frank Mir didn't perform up to par in the co-main event of UFC 130.
On Sunday morning, White admitted he may have gone a bit overboard.
Speaking exclusively with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com), White said in retrospect, Mir and his team actually put together a perfect gameplan, which the heavyweight executed to perfection. Sure, a finish would have been ideal, but current top contender Junior Dos Santos couldn't put away "Big Country," either.
Jon Jones A Heavy Favorite Over Quinton 'Rampage' Jackson
The first betting line has been released for a future UFC light heavyweight title fight between Jon Jones and Quinton "Rampage" Jackson, and it seems that the current champion is a heavy favorite out of the gate. Obviously the fight hasn't been booked yet, but bookies always jump on lines quickly if a bout is likely to happen. Bookmaker has is the one offering the line:
Jorge and Zoila Gurgel enjoying married life, eyeing MMA greatness
In mixed martial arts, it's almost a job requirement for fighters to spend countless hours away from their families, and in some cases depart their homes in order to seek the proper instruction needed to be successful.
But Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt Jorge Gurgel (14-7) and his wife Zoila (11-1) no longer have to seek out guidance, as they now have each other.
Earlier this year, the pair exchanged vows in a private ceremony, and Jorge recently told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) he's happier than ever.
Roy Nelson To Meet With Dana White Later This Week; Nutritionist Mike Dolce Interested In Working Him
Roy Nelson obviously didn’t have the fight he was hoping for at UFC 130 against Frank Mir, losing by unanimous decision in the co-main event of the night.
Nelson struggled to deal with Mir’s size and power, as well as his wrestling, and by the third round the former “Ultimate Fighter” winner was noticeably gassed, but toughed it out until the fight was over.
The fight left a lot to be desired in the mind of UFC president Dana White, who seemed fairly unimpressed with both Nelson and Mir.
Thiago Alves’ UFC 130 Message to Rick Story: “Be Careful What You Wish For”
Thiago Alves has never been in the business of calling other fighters out.
Sure, he’s asked for a title shot like any top ranked welterweight, but the Brazilian doesn’t believe in calling out anybody for a fight, he just fights the best in the world and whoever the UFC puts in the cage with him.
So it was a little surprising to Alves when he heard that Rick Story was calling him out for a fight. Sure, Story has gone 5-1 in the UFC, and is on the rise in the welterweight division, so in many ways Alves took the statement as a compliment.
MFC 30: Drew Fickett and Brian Cobb will get 'Up Close & Personal' on June 10
Maximum Fighting Championship (MFC) has signed world-ranked lightweight Brian "The Bandit" Cobb to a multi-fight contract that will include his debut bout in the main event at MFC 30: Up Close & Personal.
Cobb (18-6) will meet top title contender Drew "Night Rider" Fickett (41-13) in a three-round, non-title affair on Friday, June 10 at the Mayfield Conference Centre in Edmonton, Alberta. HDNet Fights will air the event live, including the evening's co-main event of Pete "The Secret Weapon" Spratt against "The Irish Hand Grenade" Marcus Davis, beginning at 10 p.m. ET/8 p.m. MT/7 p.m. PT (check local listings for channel designation).
"I am very excited about this matchup," said Mark Pavelich, MFC Owner/President. "Brian Cobb is someone who has been on our radar for some time, and I think this is the perfect time to bring him in.
Paulo Thiago vs. David Mitchell official for UFC 134 prelims
A welterweight matchup between Paulo Thiago (13-3 MMA, 3-3 UFC) and David Mitchell (11-1 MMA, 0-1 UFC) is official for August's UFC 134 event.
MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) previously passed along news of the bout, and UFC executives since have made it official.
UFC 134 takes place Aug. 27 at HSBC Arena in Rio de Janeiro and marks the UFC's first Brazil event since 1998.
HKL Exclusive with Jorge Santiago: Talks of His Return to the UFC and New Beginnings
I spoke with Jorge Santiago yesterday about his return to the UFC. He's been on a fantastic run in his career and is finally ready to make an impact in the UFC's Middleweight Division. However, this isn't the only new beginning in his life, Santiago also spoke about starting a new team called Imperial with JZ and Rashad Evans. His opponent in Brian Stann will be facing the best Jorge Santiago and one that has a new found maturity.
Follow him on twitter this week at @SantiagoMMA
Todd Moore vs. Mike Bronzoulis targeted for "Strikeforce: Overeem vs. Werdum"
A bout between WEC veteran Todd Moore (13-4 MMA, 0-0 SF) and fellow promotional newcomer Mike Bronzoulis (12-2-1 MMA, 0-0 SF) is in the works for next month's "Strikeforce: Overeem vs. Werdum" event.
Sources close to the event told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) the welterweight bout is in the process of being finalized.
Bronzoulis's management team at KO Dynasty said their fighter has signed a four-fight deal with the promotion.
Strikeforce's Silva apologizes for Lesnar comments, eyes Barnett for grudge match
Strikeforce contender Antonio Silva (16-2 MMA, 3-1 SF) recently made waves with a string of harsh comments toward some of his fellow heavyweights.
Now he wants to apologize for those remarks – well, some of them, anyway.
Silva admits he recently crossed a line when questioning the severity of former UFC champion Brock Lesnar's health. And his criticism of Josh Barnett (29-5 MMA, 0-0 SF)? Well, Silva insists some of his words were poorly translated, but he's not ready to make nice with "The Babyfaced Assassin" just yet.
Promoter says Nick Diaz no longer set to box, Dana White insists UFC bout not guaranteed
The man prepared to promote a Nick Diaz (25-7 MMA, 6-4 UFC) boxing contest now says the Strikeforce welterweight champion will not be entering the squared circle anytime soon.
Don Chargin today announced via press release that Diaz has determined it's in his "best interest to focus on his primary combat sport and profession."
Chargin also referenced a potential "opportunity of a lifetime" for Diaz, fueling further speculation of a pending matchup with UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre (22-2 MMA, 16-2 UFC). However, UFC president Dana White continues to insist Diaz is far from UFC-bound.
SportsPro Magazine includes Anderson Silva on list of 'World’s 50 Most Marketable Athletes'
And since Silva is the only mixed martial artist to make the list, that puts him ahead of combat sports' other marketing magnets like UFC Welterweight Champion Georges St. Pierre and former UFC Heavyweight Champion Brock Lesnar.
Athletes are ranked "according to their marketing potential over a three-year period" and the list "comprises the 50 athletes deemed by SportsPro to offer value for marketing money if signed today to a long-term global endorsement deal."