Do you have a hot MMA story or news item that you have found and would like to share?
Then read our guidelines then post it to our MMA News Share Forum to have it display here for the community to read on this page.
It didn't take long for Donald Cerrone to find a new opponent for UFC 205.
According to multiple sources, Cerrone vs. Kelvin Gastelum is in the works for the Nov. 12 card at Madison Square Garden in New York City. If all goes according to plan, the welterweight fight is expected to be finalized shortly.
UFC commentator Kenny Florian announced Tuesday night that his younger brother passed away Sunday at age 33 after going missing one day earlier.
Florian wrote on Instagram, “Always loving. Always loved. Always my little brother Kiki. Kirk Andrew Florian 6/22/83-9/11/16. Thank you all for sharing his picture/information. Go tell your loved ones that you love them.”
The retired fighter offered no details about his brother’s death, and MMAjunkie was unable to reach him for comment. Monday on Twitter, Kenny Florian asked anyone with information about his brother’s whereabouts to call the Dover Police Department in Delaware. He said his brother had been missing since Saturday. He later deleted the message.
Although UFC welterweight Matt Brown estimates he’s probably suffered “hundreds” of concussions in his fighting career, he got his first official diagnosis in 2015.
The treatment he subsequently received was an experience he’d rather forget.
“I had to sit in my room for 10 days with no lights, no loud noises, no TV, no reading,” Brown told MMAjunkie Radio. “Like, literally stare at the wall and do nothing for 10 days, like jail.”
It’s for that reason that Brown isn’t in a rush to return to the octagon two months after suffering his first TKO loss in a fight against Jake Ellenberger at UFC 201.
“It’s the first time from a head shot that I’ve been dropped in my entire life, and I’ve sparred with heavyweights and big guys,” said Brown. “I hope that I can speak near-full sentences when I’m done fighting.”
He had his first training session earlier this week and would like to fight by the end of the year or early next year.
“I would love New York (at UFC 205), but I’m really fat right now,” Brown said.
“There’s still a lot of hunger in my heart,” Brown said. “I’m still pressing toward the ultimate goal. I still, to this day, remember my motivation. I still remember what it’s like to go to a UFC and have that dream in my head.”
So Brown will pick himself back up and begin the process of sharpening his skills. This time, though, he’ll try to avoid unnecessary damage.
After an illness scratched Ruslan Magomedov from UFC 204, Daniel Omielanczuk has agreed to step in as a replacement and fight Stefan Struve at UFC 204.
The news was confirmed to MMAjunkie by a person close to one of the fighters. The person requested anonymity because UFC officials haven’t formally announced the bout.
Magomedov (14-1 MMA, 3-0 UFC), who’d won three straight in the UFC, was diagnosed with staph infection.
Sam Alvey will get yet another quick turnaround, and will be in a middleweight bout against Alex Nicholson. After losing a somewhat uneventful decision last June, Alvey picked up two stoppage wins in July and August. This will be his 4th bout in the span of 5 months.
The opening-round matchups are set for the RIZIN World Grand Prix 2016.
Six bouts have been announced for the single elimination, openweight tournament, which kicks off on Sept. 25 in Saitama, Japan.
Of biggest note is the return of Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic, the winner of the PRIDE 2006 open weight tourney. Filipovic (31-11-2) will meet fellow heavyweight Hyun Man Myung (3-2) of South Korea in Filipovic's first bout since 2014.
The remainder of the evening's tourney bouts:
LHW Theodorus Aukstuolis (Lithuania, 9-3) vs. HW Szymon Bajor (Poland, 15-6)
HW Amir Aliakbari (Iran/2-0) 2-0 vs. HW Joao Almeida (Brazil, 4-1)
Super HW Kaito "Baruto" Hoovelson (Estonia, 1-0) vs. HW Kazuyuki Fujita (Japan, 15-11)
LHW Karl Albrektsson (Sweden, 5-0) vs. LHW Valentin Moldavsky (Russia, 3-0)
LWH Jiri Prochazka (Czech, Republic, 17-3-1) vs. HW Mark Tanios (Lebanon, 4-1)
First-round fights are scheduled for two, five-minute rounds. If the bout is ruled a draw, there will be a winner-takes-all third round.
Things might get a little “Touchy” in Portland, with Andre Fili (15-4 MMA, 3-3 UFC) stepping in to replace an injured Brian Ortega (11-0 MMA, 3-0 UFC).
Fili now faces Brazilian grappling standout Hacran Dias (23-4-1 MMA, 3-3 UFC) at UFC Fight Night 96. Dias is currently ranked No. 14 in the latest USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie MMA featherweight rankings.
The new booking was first announced by the Oregonian, and MMAjunkie subsequently confirmed the new contest with UFC officials. MMAjunkie first reported Ortega’s withdrawal.
UFC Fight Night 96 takes place Oct. 1 at Moda Center in Portland. The card will air on FS1 following early prelims on UFC Fight Pass.
With the change to the card, UFC Fight Night 96 now includes:
John Lineker vs. John Dodson
Will Brooks vs. Alex Oliveira
Sergio Pettis vs. Louis Smolka
Josh Burkman vs. opponent TBA
Joachim Christensen vs. Luis Henrique da Silva
Kelly Faszholz vs. Ketlen Vieira
Shamil Abdurakhimov vs. Walt Harris
Nate Marquardt vs. Tamdan McCrory
Hacran Dias vs. Andre Fili
Yushin Okami will be back competing in the states.
After two bouts in his native Japan, the UFC veteran will take on Paul Bradley at World Series of Fighting 34 on Nov. 12 in Loveland, Colo., the promotion announced Tuesday. Also added to the card was a heavyweight bout between Josh Copeland and Smealinho Rama.
The UFC returns to the Philippines on Oct. 15, and a local fighter is set to make his promotional debut. Riding a four-fight win streak, Jenel Lausa enters the Octagon for the first time against TUF China alum Yao Zhikui, sources told MMA Fighting.
One of the most exciting fighters in the welterweight division is back.
Jordan Mein is coming out of retirement, his father and coach Lee confirmed Tuesday with MMA Fighting's Ariel Helwani. MMA legend Bas Rutten mentioned the comeback on a recent episode of the Joe Rogan Experience podcast.
Mein (29-10) is hoping to fight again in the UFC as early as next month, Lee said. The all-action fighter from Canada hung up the gloves at just 25 years old in August 2015.
"I am happy he is enjoying training and wants to fight again," his father said. "I feel he is one of the best out there.
"As long as he is having fun and feels healthy, I will support and help him any way I can."
UFC flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson says he is unable to retire right now off of the money he has made in the UFC and is about to start chasing bigger paydays.
Over the last few months, one of the major points of discussion in the MMA community has been the onset of fighters, specifically champions, seeking "money fights." Conor McGregor made the phrase "red panty night" part of the MMA lexicon back in September and since then champions like Tyron Woodley, Dominick Cruz, and Eddie Alvarez have been angling for the highest profile fights possible, eschewing the more established contenders in their respective divisions.
One champion who has been absent from this shift though has been Demetrious Johnson. Johnson is one of the few fighters fans have been actively hoping would make a jump up in weight, having throttled the rest of the 125-pound division. But despite this, the flyweight kingpin has made no real overtures towards a superfight rematch with Dominick Cruz. That may be about to change soon though. Speaking with Submission Radio recently, Johnson discussed why he hasn't been aggressive in seeking bigger name fights and his thoughts on the recent trend of champions avoiding presumed challengers.
"Doesn't matter to me. My paycheck is exactly the same. I think you see a lot of guys who are starting to come out and say, 'no I'm not going to fight that guy, even though he's the number one contender because I want a better pay check,' and you're starting to see a lot of champions do it. I understand why they're doing it; because the UFC have made it a point - champions don't get paid the top dollars.
"And you've got a guy who can come out, who's never lost - I have nothing against GSP, but I like to keep it real - you have a guy that hasn't been active in three years and he's (probably going to make) way more money than any champion on the roster - probably same as Conor McGregor and Nate Diaz - but that's what the UFC has started to do.
"And you're starting to see a lot of people say, 'if I don't get this title shot, this is not a sport at all,' and I think we're starting to lose that mystique to where you have two of the best fighters in the world, going out to fight each other to become the champion. But now, everybody is like, 'I don't want to fight the number one contender, I want to fight the guy who everybody likes to watch fight, so that I get that big pay check.' Trust me, I'm about to jump in that boat too, but I will never turn down a fight and I'll just fight anybody."
On Saturday night, after almost two years of buildup, CM Punk finally made his walk to the Octagon to fight Mickey Gall. The walk lasted longer than the fight itself. When the opening bell sounded, Punk charged across the cage; Gall changed levels, took him down, and choked him out in just a touch over two minutes. It was a complete drubbing. Though Punk did successfully avoid one submission, he landed no significant strikes and absorbed a healthy number of them in return. And it looks like he may never get to land one.
Speaking with Fight Network's John Pollock after the event, UFC President Dana White said that the UFC "probably" won't have Punk fight again.
The UFC’s next trip to Australia has a big time middleweight bout set when former champ Luke Rockhold rematches Ronaldo Souza.
The bout was announced on UFC Australia’s twitter account.
UFC Fight Night 101 takes place Nov. 26 (Nov. 27 in Australia) at Rod Laver Arena in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. The event will air on FS1. The bout between Rockhold and Souza is the first to be announced for the card.
It’s been a hectic 2015/2016 for Jon Jones. The former light heavyweight champion has found himself involved in hit-and-run incidents, altercations with police offers, and a dispute with the United States Anti-Doping Agency.
The former pound-for-pound #1 was pulled out of UFC 200’s main event with Daniel Cormier after testing positive for two banned substances. ‘Bones’ is reported to have failed for Hydroxy-clomiphene, an anti-estrogenic agent, and Letrozole, an aromatase inhibitor.
However, it’s likely that Jones will receive a reduced suspension -- or none at all -- and Dana White recently teased at a Jones vs. ‘Rumble’ showdown in the near-future.
Jones posted a thank you message on social media to all of his fans for sticking with him, and seems optimistic about a return.
So grateful for my amazing fans & team for sticking with me through the thick and thin. Can't wait to pick up better than we left off @gatsupplements @everlast @monsterenergy #GatAthlete #CompetesHarder @postmanlife #unbroken
The post-fight skirmish between Fabricio Werdum and Edmond Tarverdyan was an ugly sight, but that's where the story ends.
The Ohio Athletic Commission will not discipline anyone involved in the strange post-fight incident at UFC 203 in Cleveland, executive director Bernie Profato told MMA Fighting on Saturday night. Profato said he spoke with all involved and they apologized to the commission.
"Everyone left on a positive note," Profato said. "They said they respected the commission and assured this would never happen again."
Those Cleveland elevators strike again.
C.B. Dollaway won’t be able to fight Francimar Barroso tonight at UFC 203 because he was injured while riding a faulty elevator.
According to multiple sources, Dolloway suffered a back injury while riding an elevator that malfunctioned Friday afternoon. It is unclear at this time how serious Dolloway's back injury is but after consulting with doctors and the UFC afterwards he was ultimately ruled out of the fight. One source classified it as a "strain."
"I’m really upset," Barroso said. "That sucks." The Brazilian was looking to return to the win column following a submission loss to Nikita Krylov in May, while Dolloway was hoping to snap a three-fight losing streak.
The UFC has released the following statement:
UFC announced that CB Dollaway has had to withdraw from his scheduled bout at UFC 203 due to an injury he suffered last night as a result of an elevator accident at a hotel in Cleveland.
UFC officials have been in communication with hotel management, and the hotel is currently evaluating and investigating the issues surrounding the incident.
Citing personal issues, Bobby Green (23-7 MMA, 4-2 UFC) has withdrawn from next month’s UFC Fight Night 96 event.
MMAjunkie today confirmed the move with UFC officials. The promotion now seeks a lightweight to face Josh Burkman (28-13 MMA, 6-8 UFC).
UFC Fight Night 96 takes place Oct. 1 at Moda Center in Portland, Ore. While the bout order has yet to be confirmed, the evening’s main card airs on FS1. Prelims are expected to air on FS1 and UFC Fight Pass.
Stefan Struve needs a new heavyweight opponent for next month’s UFC 204 event.
Struve’s (27-8 MMA, 11-6 UFC) original opponent, Ruslan Magomedov (14-1 MMA, 3-0 UFC), has been sidelined with a staph infection, a UFC official confirmed with MMAjunkie. A time table for his recovery wasn’t immediately known.
A replacement search is underway.