Strikeforce's Ronda Rousey to appear in ESPN The Magazine's 'The Body Issue'
Ronda Rousey will soon bare (mostly) all in a new photo shoot.
The Strikeforce women's bantamweight champion is expected to be featured in the 2012 edition of ESPN The Magazine's "The Body Issue," multiple sources close to the fighter today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).
The issue's release date could not be confirmed, though it could hit stands this fall.
"The Body Issue" features pro athletes in various states of undress (with strategic hand and equipment placement). Other MMA fighters, including Gina Carano and Jon Jones, have been featured in the always-popular edition of the magazine.
Earlier this month, Rousey (5-0 MMA, 3-0 SF) cemented her status as one of Strikeforce's brightest stars when she won the bantamweight title by submitting Miesha Tate in painful fashion at "Strikeforce: Tate vs. Rousey." The event scored an impressive 431,000 Showtime viewers, a 25 percent increase from the promotion's previous big event, "Strikeforce: Rockhold vs. Jardine." The March 3 event peaked with 506,000 viewers during Rousey's bout.
In the weeks leading to the event, which took place at Nationwide Arena in Columbus, Ohio, Showtime produced a series of lavish promos for the women's title fight. The headliners pitched in with a series of verbal exchanges in the press that boiled over into a brief physical confrontation when Tate head-butted Rousey at the event's weigh-ins...
GSP's road to recovery
UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre's road to recovery is ongoing and the 30-year-old native of Saint-Isidore, Que., is increasing the intensity of his rehab. While preparing for a bout with Nick Diaz late last year, GSP suffered an injury to his knee that required surgery. The Canadian is expected to return to the Octagon late this year, possibly in November.
Judging by this video it looks as though he will be in excellent shape as usual.
-- TUF Live competitor Jeremy Larsen was placed on medical suspension after suffering a cut to his head in his unanimous decision win over Jeff Smith to get onto the show. It's unclear at this point what will happen to Larson and his spot in the TUF house.
Following NSAC challenge, lawyer says UFC's Nick Diaz didn't lie about marijuana RX
A lawyer representing Nick Diaz said the Nevada Attorney General's office made a "very offensive" and "ridiculous" statement when Diaz was accused of lying on a pre-fight medical questionnaire prior to his fight with Carlos Condit at UFC 143.
Las Vegas-based lawyer Ross Goodman contends that Diaz's medical-marijuana card doesn't constitute a prescription.
So, he said, the fighter wasn't lying when he checked "no" on the part of the questionnaire asking whether he had taken or received any prescribed medications two weeks prior to his fight.
"The fact that they're falling back now on this is significant because you would think they would respond to the stuff that we argued in the response, which I think is basically irrefutable," Goodman told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).
Goodman on March 7 responded to a complaint for disciplinary action against Diaz that was issued Feb. 8 when a post-fight drug test revealed the presence of marijuana metabolites. Diaz (27-8 MMA, 7-5 UFC) lost a unanimous decision to Condit (28-5 MMA, 5-1 UFC) in the headliner of UFC 143, which took place Feb. 4 at Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas. He subsequently said he he was retiring from competition after the pay-per-view event.
For now, Diaz is temporarily suspended pending a hearing scheduled for next month in Las Vegas, where he'll appear to face a possible yearlong suspension and fines. He also tested positive for marijuana following a 2007 win over Takanori Gomi at PRIDE 33. Diaz was suspended for six months for that offense, and the result of the bout was changed to a no-contest.
Rule 467.850 of the NSAC's administrative code bars the use of illicit substances such as performance-enhancing drugs and drugs of abuse, including marijuana. The commission also recognizes a list of substances prohibited in and out of competition by the World Anti-Doping Agency, or WADA...
Anderson Silva bashes Chael Sonnen, says he doesn't deserve 2nd title shot
"(What does Chael Sonnen represent for my career?) Nothing! He’s possessed by a demon. That’s the truth. He’s an athlete that failed the drug test, I fought him while injured, and he had problems with the American Justice system. He respects nothing and he didn’t respect our country. What does he represent? Nothing.
"I respect the opinions and the positions of the promoters of the fight and the owners of the event, but in my opinion he shouldn’t get the chance to fight me again. But that’s not something that I can decide. I will get ready for the fight just as I would with any other."
"He disrespected our idols that made history in the world of sports, such as Lance Armstrong. This guy is complicated, he’s got personal issues. The attention that the Brazilian media gives him, the attention that Palmeiras gave him, it’s very bad. If any Brazilian would be in the position that he finds himself in, if they would talk about the US and he does about Brazil, and the American idols, we wouldn’t even have the same opportunities of going in their country or talking to the American media. I think that Brazilians should be more patriotic, like the Americans.
'UFC Primetime' airs on FX for 'UFC 146: Dos Santos vs. Overeem'
In anticipation of their highly anticipated UFC 146 heavyweight title fight, current titleholder Junior Dos Santos (14-1 MMA, 8-0 UFC) and former Strikeforce champ Alistair Overeem (36-11 MMA, 1-0 UFC) will be featured in an upcoming edition of "UFC Primetime," a three-part special that airs on FX.
The first episode airs Friday, May 11, at 11 p.m. ET/PT, with subsequent episodes premiering in the same timeslot on May 18 and May 25.
Replays of each episode air on FUEL TV...
Kimbo Slice Returns To Boxing Ring Against Yet Another Undersized Opponent On March 24
The boxing career of former EliteXC and UFC "attraction" Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson keeps on rolling along when he meets mixed martial artist Mike Glenn on March 24. Predictably, Glenn is making his pro debut and, like all of Slice's prior opponents, is not actually a heavyweight. Glenn competed in MMA at 205 pounds so he will almost certainly come in the much lighter man when the two meet later this month.
This is a continuing trend for Kimbo as he made his debut against then 0-1 James Wade weighing 227 to Wade's 205, took on then 2-3 Tay Bledsoe weighing 244 to Bledsoe's 206 and then beat the debuting Charles Hackmann when he weighed 235 to Hackmann's 211. The only opponent Slice has faced (or is scheduled to face in Glenn's case) who is a listed heavyweight is Hackmann, and that's only because he made his debut at heavyweight. He almost certainly could have cut down to cruiserweight.
Breaking news: Josh Barnett's MMA license reinstated in California
Strikeforce heavyweight attraction and former PRIDE FC star Josh Barnett had his mixed martial arts (MMA) license reinstated today (March 5, 2012) during a special hearing in front of the California State Athletic Commission (CSAC).
But not without provisions.
"The Warmaster" must consent to "random biological fluid testing" at a time and place determined by the commission prior to his participation at any event held in the state of California.
Barnett, who is expected to fight undefeated division standout Daniel Cormier under the Strikeforce banner on May 19, has been battling the CSAC for over two years to get back in their good graces following his failed drug test back in 2009, one that sank the S.S. Affliction and canceled a late summer superfight against Fedor Emelianenko.
Now he's back, primarily because the state of California "needs good fighters," according to the commission.
More details on his reinstated license, as well as his upcoming fight against "DC," as they become available.
Coming Into His Own: Bartimus
Bart Palaszewski has 50 professional fights to his name, but, to hear him tell it, his journey has only just begun.
The 28-year-old Palaszewski has worked his way into the Top 10 in the featherweight division following a first-round knockout against Xtreme Couture Mixed Martial Arts representative Tyson Griffin in October and will look to build on his momentum when he meets Hatsu Hioki at UFC 144 “Edgar vs. Henderson” on Saturday at the Saitama Super Arena in Saitama, Japan.
Palaszewski has been training with Team Curran since June 1999, when he was 16 years old.
“I’m still developing my game, as crazy as that sounds,” he says. “I’m just kind of getting into my own, 50 guys in.”
Earlier in his career, the Poland-born heavy hitter fought as many as seven to nine times a year, and he certainly does not miss those days.
“I think the only reason I was able to do it was because I was younger,” Palaszewski says. “My body can’t hold up to that anymore, I don’t think.”
Not only has his game evolved over the years, but he also feels stronger mentally.
UFC champ Jon Jones to serve as Daytona 500 honorary race official
UFC light-heavyweight champion Jon Jones is heading to NASCAR's Daytona 500.
Jones serves as an honorary race official for the 54th annual Sprint Cup Series race, which takes place Feb. 26 at Daytona International Speedway in Florida.
The season-opening NASCAR race airs on UFC broadcast partner FOX.
"I am thrilled to be able to serve as honorary race official at this year's Daytona 500, NASCAR's premier event," Jones stated in a release. "Like the UFC, NASCAR has a passionate and knowledgeable fan base, and I am honored that I will get to share this experience with them."
Aaron Simpson nearly set on move to welterweight after UFC on FUEL TV 1 loss
If the docs say it's OK, count on seeing UFC vet Aaron Simpson at welterweight.
After a loss to Ronny Markes (13-1 MMA, 2-0 UFC) on Wednesday at UFC on FUEL TV 1, Simpson (11-3 MMA, 6-3 UFC) said he's tired of being undersized at middleweight.
"I've been thinking about it over the last year and a half," the 37-year-old today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "Everybody I fight is cutting from 220 (pounds)."
UFC on FUEL TV 1 took place at Omaha Civic Auditorium in Omaha, Neb. Simpson vs. Markes served as part of the event's main card, which aired on FUEL TV following prelims on Facebook.
The noticeably bulky Markes pinned Simpson on the cage several times during the three-round fight, which ended in a split decision for the Brazilian.
Simpson, who saw a three-fight win streak broken, said he never gets heavier than 200 pounds.
"There were times I couldn't budge," he said. "[Markes] had his shoulder buried in my chest, and I couldn't move him. And I can defend a lot of people's takedowns and everything, and it was just one of those deals where that really dwarfed me."
A positive Simpson took from the fight was the power in his punches, which dropped Markes in the first round. However, that advantage was muted by his size deficit...
Memorable Jamie Yager has army in tow for tonight's Superior Cage Combat 4 event
Fight for a while at the professional level, and your reasons for doing it change.
Jamie Yager (5-2) has been chewed up and spit out by the promotional machine behind UFC parent company Zuffa. Still, to many, he's the only guy remembered from his season of "The Ultimate Fighter" reality series.
That's worth something. So now, the plan is to merge notoriety with talent, and tonight, he attempts to put the latter on display when he meets Danny Davis Jr. (6-5-1) at Superior Cage Combat 4. The event takes place at Orleans Arena in Las Vegas.
"I got on the show based on my looks and my natural, God-given talent and abilities, and I was able to portray a good thing to get on the show," Yager told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio). "But that's only going to get you so far."
Tim Sylvia can be a title contender and beat 80-percent of the heavyweights in the UFC
Former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Heavyweight Champion Tim Sylvia is doing a little bit of campaigning asking for fans help to get him back into the ranks of the UFC. "The Maniac" took to "The Underground" to post this video asking for fans support for his "push" to get back into the world's largest mixed martial (MMA) promotion, a place he called home for more than six years before he was sent packing after a loss to Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira at UFC 81.
Strikeforce's Gina Carano cast for 'In the Blood' action-thriller
Following a starring and debut role in "Haywire," Gina Carano now has been cast for the lead film role in the upcoming action-thriller "In the Blood."
The news comes from "The Hollywood Reporter."
The new gig casts further doubt on the Strikeforce fighter's potential return to the MMA cage.
According to the report, the film, which John Stockwell will direct, begins principal photography "in late spring or early summer in Puerto Rico." That schedule all but assures Carano won't return to Strikeforce by year's end.
Carano (7-1 MMA, 1-1 SF) hasn't fought since an August 2009 title loss to Cristiane "Cyborg" Santos. Soon after, famed director Steven Soderbergh cast the 29-year-old for "Haywire," which opened nationwide this past month to largely positive reviews. Many reviewers singled out Carano, who starred alongside the likes of Ewan McGregor and Michael Douglas, for her performance...
Gary Goodridge Diagnosed with CTE/Pugilistic Dementia
Former UFC, Pride and K-1 star Gary Goodridge has a new battle on his hands, but just like his fights in the cage or ring, he won’t go down without swinging.
Goodridge recently visited a top neuro-physician in Canada where he was diagnosed with early onset CTE/pugilistic dementia.
CTE (chronic traumatic encephalopathy) by definition is brain damage caused by repeated head trauma, resulting in degeneration of brain tissue. It’s commonly found in boxers, football players, ice hockey players and other athletes who have suffered repeated traumatic shock to the head.
Exclusive: Josh Koscheck Reveals The Reason Why He Left AKA
Following Josh Koscheck‘s win at UFC 143 on Saturday night over Mike Pierce, the former ‘Ultimate Fighter’ season 1 competitor revealed at the post fight press conference that he had split with his longtime team at American Kickboxing Academy and immediately the MMA world was taken back.
Fighters switching teams or working with different training camps is nothing new, but Koscheck had been a mainstay of the San Jose based gym literally for every fight since season one of the reality show, which took place nearly 8 years ago.
It was for that very reason that when he announced the split, everyone was asking why? What happened that would cause Koscheck the team he had such deep rooted seeds with?
Well, truth be told Koscheck didn’t leave his entire team. As a matter of fact, his training partners are still very much a part of his family and his team.
“First and foremost, my teammates over there at AKA in San Jose are my brothers. I love those guys. 8 years, we’ve basically trained ourselves and got us to the level that we are and we’ve all relied on each other and those guys are forever going to be my teammates, I’m forever going to train with them, but I’m just not going to train in San Jose with them,” Koscheck told MMAWeekly.com in an exclusive interview on Sunday...
GSP doesn't see himself as champ anymore
UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre doesn't like Nick Diaz. But that won't stop him from cheering on the Stockton, Calif., native on Saturday at UFC 143 as the latter takes on Carlos Condit in the main event for the interim welterweight title.
GSP will be cageside for the fight and says he will feel conflicted while watching Diaz and Condit compete.
"I respect Carlos Condit, but I want Diaz to win. It will be a weird feeling, sitting at the Mandalay Bay wanting Nick Diaz to win," St-Pierre told the UFC.
"I am very nervous that Carlos Condit will win on Saturday night, and that I won't be able to fight Nick Diaz this summer," St-Pierre said.
"Carlos Condit is a very good fighter, he can strike, he is aggressive and he has submissions. He has been very impressive and is the type of fighter who gets better and better the more confident he gets … I am not personal friends with him but I know him a little and he's a great person.
"All that has done though is make me determined to beat him up. He will bring out the best in me, I will be 100 per cent focused, like a bomb-expert defusing a time bomb. When my back is against the wall and I have no choice but to win … that is when I am most dangerous.
Despite the fact most people don't give much thought to interim titles, St-Pierre feels the opposite.
"The way I see it, I am not the champion anymore on Saturday night," St-Pierre said. "I have not fought since April, against my will, but I understand the champion must fight. You have to put the belt on the line in order to call yourself champion, the best in the world. Right now I am not the best in the world, I am injured.
“The winner of this fight on Saturday will be more than just the new No. 1 contender, but he won't be the new champion either. The winner of this fight will have to beat me to become the true world champion and I will have to beat the winner of this fight in order to call myself the best in the world again."