Interviews News - Page 33
Do you have a hot MMA story or news item that you have found and would like to share? Simply read the instructions, then post it to our MMA News Share Forum to have it display here for the community to read on this page.
Kaitlin Young: 'CBS didn’t want the visual of a woman with a bloody face on CBS'
“My left cheek and area surrounding the eye are looking pretty ugly today, but there was no major damage. Though it may have looked like it on tv, I never actually had an open wound. What you didn’t see was that the doctor actually cleared me to fight the third round but the commission said ‘no.’ I wanted to continue, my corner wanted to continue. The cut likely would have opened in the third but it was under the eye. If I had to guess, I would say that they didn’t want the visual of a woman with a bloody face on CBS. They also chose not to do a post fight interview with me or to include me in the post fight news conference and after party. I think the reason for that was my beat up appearance after the fight because I was not seriously injured and was completely coherent. I am very disappointed about that but cant help but wonder how people would have responded to that, as stupid as it is. “ – Kaitlin Young — who did not answer the bell for the third and final round of her fight with Gina Carano at Elite XC: “Primetime” on CBS — shares her thoughts via FighterGirls.com on the stoppage.
Submitted Jun 2, 2008 2:08PM by grappler0000 - 25 comments
Filed under: EliteXC, MMA Personalities, Interviews
Dana White: ‘What happened on CBS was horrendous’ with Elite XC (ESPN video)
cant say i didnt see it coming.
Lawler vs. Smith II could headline next CBS event
After a less-than-suitable ending to an exciting, back-and-forth match-up between EliteXC middleweight champion Robbie Lawler and Scott Smith left many searching for a definitive conclusion, EliteXC Live Events President Gary Shaw said the company hopes to host the rematch as a main event on their next CBS broadcast. Shaw even went so far as to ponder aloud a possible title for the show: "Unfinished Business." "We've got to check Robbie, how he is physically, and how Scott (who suffered a broken right foot during the bout) is physically," Shaw said. "If they're both ready to do it again, I would assume they would fight on our next CBS show." Saturday's title fight, which served as a co-main event to Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson's third-round TKO of James Thompson, ended in anticlimactic no-contest after Lawler (15-4) caught Smith (13-4) with an inadvertent eye poke in the third round. Smith maintained he was OK to continue, but officials refused to let the bout continue.
Many differences, one goal
The classical music blasting over the phone as I waited on hold for a World Extreme Cagefighting conference call was a real disconnect. And the swapping of compliments from one fighter to the other was another, given that they plan to annihilate each other in a cage over the weekend. But even given all that, Jens Pulver and reigning champion Urijah Faber made it clear that WEC 34 will be anything but a waltz. The June 1 battle for the featherweight title has consumed their lives, and rightly so. Heading into the biggest bout of both fighters' careers, neither are denying the case and both are out to prove just why. "I don't see the fight going 25 minutes," said Pulver. "At 145, I've knocked everybody out except for one submission. I think I've been in the third round once at 145. At the end of the day, I'm looking to win this fight by knockout. I'm taking the belt home. Period."
Submitted May 30, 2008 2:33PM by grappler0000 - 3 comments
Filed under: WEC, Interviews, MMA Personalities
Sokoudjou Explains Why He Called Out ‘Shogun’ Rua
Well, now he’s gone and done it. It was one thing to subtly call out “Shogun” on the UFC broadcast, but if the storied history of Chute Boxe in Pride has taught us anything it’s that accusing a Brazilian of ducking you is the quickest way to send him into a murderous rage. Who knows, it might just the motivation that the oft-injured Rua needs to get back in the Octagon. No way can he let this slide.
Garcia looking to clear his name, eyeing return to the cage.
WEC featherweight Leonard Garcia (11-3) has lived through a roller coaster of emotions over the past 12 months. The 28-year-old first came in to prominence with a spirited decision loss to lightweight Roger Huerta at UFC 69 in April 2007. And after mixed results in Garcia's next two fights, "Bad Boy" decided to drop to his natural weight of 145 pounds, and he earned an impressive first-round-TKO victory over Hiroyuki Takaya at February's WEC 32.
Bas Rutten Talks IFL, Grand Theft Auto 4 & More
Three events into a new year and the International Fight League has put in some of the most exciting match-ups in the organization’s brief history. Key to the in-ring success has come at the hands of the matchmaking. Lead by Kurt Otto, in conjunction with Bas “El Guapo” Rutten, the IFL’s change of format to individual fights with champions in six weight classes has proven to be a shot in the arm to the company’s live events. In particular, Rutten has grown into his role as Vice President of Fighter Operations, continuing his transition from fighter to MMA business professional, enjoying every minute of it. Recently Bas took time from his always hectic schedule to speak to MMAWeekly about the current status of the IFL, his foray into the world of video games and his always present endeavors into expanding the Bas Rutten name and brand.
Submitted May 26, 2008 11:58AM by grappler0000 - 1 comment
Filed under: Interviews, IFL, MMA Personalities, General MMA
Tito Ortiz offered UFC contract prior to UFC 84
FiveOuncesOfPain.com was informed by Rear Naked Radio, a weekly MMA show heard every Saturday from 7-9 p.m. CT on Live 105.3 FM in Dallas, that former UFC light heavyweight champion Tito Ortiz was offered a contract by the UFC in the days leading up to last night’s fight against Lyoto Machida. While listening to the initial portion of an audio clip forwarded by Rear Naked Radio, Ortiz begins to talk about possible options outside of the UFC. “Either I go to Affliction; either I got to possibly something with De La Hoya; or start something on my own; HDNet; I mean there are so many opportunities for me,” said Ortiz. “Lorenzo (Ferttita) came up to me, actually, a day before the weigh-in and he’s like ‘UFC is the place you need to stay. You need to be here. We need you here.” And he was giving me the old fluff deal…”
Submitted May 25, 2008 7:57PM by grappler0000 - 10 comments
Filed under: UFC, MMA Personalities, Interviews
Gary Shaw Responds To Dana White
EliteXC held a conference call today to hype their upcoming CBS show 'CBS EliteXC Saturday Night Fights' which debuts May 31 at 9 p.m. ET. EliteXC president Gary Shaw responded in harsh fashion to Dana White's assertions that that the UFC's lightweight champion, BJ Penn, could defeat EliteXC heavyweight Kimbo Slice. "Dana White is a jerkoff," Shaw said via conference call. "That’s what Dana White is, a ******* idiot, and you can quote me on that. If he cared about mixed martial arts and the sport instead of caring about his big ass swimming pool and his own personal gains, he’d understand that statements like that make someone into a jerk. First of all, I love BJ Penn and he is a friend of mine. Kimbo Slice, one shot, would knock BJ Penn out, a 155 pounder. But they are never going to fight, it is an idiotic statement from a complete idiot… Dana White’s an idiot. And if he wasn’t an idiot, May 31 would have been the UFC instead of EliteXC. I rest my case."
Submitted May 23, 2008 9:34AM by grappler0000 - 28 comments
Filed under: UFC, EliteXC, Interviews, MMA Personalities
Brian Stann on Howard Stern show
Brian Stann was on Howard Stern today. this is a summary from one of the biggest Stern fan sites out there. --------------------------------------------------------- Howard said that they had one of the fighters, Brian Stann, from the World Extreme Cage Fighting in to promote some upcoming fights. Howard spent a minute talking to that guy about his time served in Iraq as a Marine and things like that. Howard asked him about the mixed martial arts stuff that he does. He asked Brian what he thinks of the war over there. Brian said that he thinks that they should finish the war now that they're already over there. Howard asked Brian if he thinks they should have gone over there to begin with. Brian gave his thoughts on all of that. Gary said that Danielle hadn't taken her eyes off of him the whole time. Brian spent a few minutes talking to Brian about the war, the Marines and the cage fighting stuff. Brian claimed that he fought 15 gang members at the same time once. Howard that a bunch of the women in the room probably just orgasmed hearing that. Howard told Brian that he's a ''real man'' unlike Brian in the studio. Howard asked Brian about the kind of guns he was using over there in Iraq. He also figured that he wasn't afraid of black people or anyone like that. He asked Brian about his next fight which is coming up in August on the Versus network. Brian's wife is a former cheerleader. Brian said that he had to be persistent with his wife to pick her up. She said no to him at first when he tried to ask her out. Howard said that he felt sorry for Brian if he didn't get to kill anyone over in Iraq. Brian gestured that he had killed some people so Howard was wrong about that. Artie talked about how he feels kind of like a pussy for going over to Iraq to just do the comedy show over there. Brian told Artie that he should be fine over there when he goes. Howard asked Brian where you jerk off when you're over there. Brian said that you have to find a port-a-John or something to do it in. Brian said that when he was out there he was living in abandoned houses and stuff and it was pretty dirty. Howard read some notes about Brian and how they were ambushed when they were going over a bridge. Brian told a story about a suicide bomber attacking his group and how he thought that he had lost all of the guys. they ended up having some wounded but no one died so they really lucked out with that. Howard had Brian present the check to the winner of the contest. Brian told Tiffany that he hopes that she can put the money to good use and presented the 5 grand to her. Tiffany said she's going to use that money for a driving school.
Submitted May 22, 2008 7:58PM by bootyclause - 1 comment
Filed under: WEC, Interviews, MMA Personalities, Miscellaneous
Bobby Lashley Next In Line
Bobby Lashley is the next former WWE star to make his way into MMA. He spoke with the Daily Star about it here:
The only two companies doing PPV's in October are Affliction and UFC. I could see UFC bringing him in to face Brock Lesnar, because the marketing potential is very obvious. However, it is also clear that companies like Affliction looking for names to draw would be interested in paying him good money too. It's also possible that Elite XC could try to run a PPV in October if the May debut goes well. Kimbo v. Lashley, anyone? That being said, companies like Affliction and Elite XC should be very wary of signing Lashley to a big contract for his name value. He was never a draw at all in the pro wrestling world, and doesn't have anywhere close to the name value of a Brock Lesnar or Kurt Angle. Without a hype machine like UFC behind his debut, Lashley is not going to draw very much.
Josh the punk Thompson talks upcoming fight and more.
Josh talks about his upcoming fight with Gilbert and also talks a little trash on Ishida, Guida, and the heavy guys. I found it pretty interesting what he said about Guida and Ishida. I also thoguth it was kind fo arrogant of him to not praise Cung Le more instead of say "Baroni didnt train with US (Josh and Javier)," and "Frank underestimated US." Overall good interview.
Submitted May 19, 2008 2:13AM by roman - 0 comments
Filed under: Interviews, EliteXC, StrikeForce, MMA Personalities
Mike Whitehead on Renato Babalu Sobral Affliction fight (Video)
Just a quick interview with Whitehead. Looks like hes a cool guy and I can't wait to see him and Babalu go at it!
Frank Shamrock say a rematch with Cung Le is in the works; Says Tito rematch will hpn
‘The Legend’ Frank Shamrock recently took some time to talk with PDG about his recovery from arm surgery, his fight with Cung Le, the future of mixed martial arts and the extension of his career as a fighter. PDG: Let's start with your arm injury, how is the recovery coming? Frank: The arm is very good. I had a checkup yesterday and the doctors said that they will most likely remove the plate in about seven more weeks. If everything works out I will be back training again in 10 weeks.
The Final Chapter
"This guy went on Howard Stern and said he was getting $200,000 a fight,” White said. “That was such a lie. Tito made $5.8 million in 2006. He only fought once in 2007. He made $710,000 for that fight (with Rashad Evans) and that was the third match from the top (on the card). He goes around saying we made $231 million last year. He’s a moron. This guy talks about what a businessman he is, and he was on ‘The Apprentice’ and he doesn’t know the difference between revenue and profit." “There’s not going to be any bidding war,” White said. “Gary Shaw (promoter at Elite XC) should offer him $30 a fight, because we’re not going to match it.” So I think it's safe to say there will be no reconciliation
Submitted May 16, 2008 11:55PM by juanez13 - 12 comments
Filed under: UFC, Interviews, MMA Personalities
Interview With Former UFC Champion Matt Hughes
Matt Hughes is highly-regarded as the best 170-pound fighter in the history of the UFC. He is a future hall of famer, and a legend in the sport of MMA. He has a phenomenal 42-6-0 professional MMA record, including an 18 fight win streak. A former UFC welterweight champion, Hughes holds notable wins over BJ Penn, Georges St. Pierre, Frank Trigg, Royce Gracie, Hayato Sakurai, and Sean Sherk.
Tito Ortiz Talks Machida, Kimbo and His Future
"I think Kimbo is something special. When I first saw him, I thought he was just a street fighter. But since he's been training with Bas, I think he's become a really well rounded athlete."
MMANews.com Interview With EliteXC Star Kimbo Slice
Chris Howie of MMANews.com: This is Chris Howie with MMANews.com and today I am speaking with the man who will face James Thompson on May 31st on CBS, Kimbo Slice. How are things Kimbo? Kimbo Slice: Things are going good Chris. MMANews.com: So you have a big fight coming up May 31st. What are your thoughts on that? Kimbo Slice: May 31st? What do you want to know buddy? MMANews.com: First and foremost how does it feel to be in the main event of the first MMA card ever on Network Television? Kimbo Slice: I was born to do what I am doing and I am looking forward to this fight. I train hard. I make dedications and sacrifices and commitments because this is something I love to do Chris. MMANews.com: What are your thoughts on your opponent that night, James Thompson? Kimbo Slice: I never under estimate any of my opponents. James Thompson is a well rounded fighter. He has great ground work and he is not afraid to stand and bang. He has the ability to knock out his opponent and I’m prepared for that. If it goes to the ground I have a lot of tools that I’m dying to use so I’m also looking forward to a good ground game. MMANews.com: How has your training been going for the fight? Kimbo Slice: Training has been going great man. I can’t complain. MMANews.com: You mentioned that you have some ground tools that you are dying to use. Are you training your ground techniques often?
Submitted May 13, 2008 11:09AM by grappler0000 - 7 comments
Filed under: EliteXC, Interviews, MMA Personalities
JZ with torn ACL, out rest of year
Dream lightweight superstar Gesias "JZ Calvan" Calvancante was a recent guest on the Savage Dog Radio Show on Sherdog.com. During the interview Calvan confirmed he had a torn meniscus that was scoped before the Aoki fight. After the fight he was examined and a completely torn ACL was diagnosed. Surgery has been scheduled for May 16th and Calvan stated that there will be at least a four month rehab, and he is most likely out until the end the year. With an an extended lay off due to the injury and rehab, JZ will probably be groomed to face the Dream Lightweight Grand Prix winner sometime in mid-2009, and Calvan stated he wants to fight for the title.
Submitted May 9, 2008 10:24PM by juanez13 - 4 comments
Filed under: Other MMA Organizations, Interviews
Alvarez Earns International Recognition in Japan
Eddie Alvarez (Pictures)'s gutsy victory in the inaugural Dream lightweight grand prix left an indelible impression on fight fans around the world. But ask the kid from Philly if it was a breakthrough performance and he'll curtly reply, "No. Not really." It's neither hubris nor modesty that motivates this response; rather, it's quiet confidence in his abilities. "Going into the tournament, I had to convince myself that I was among the top and elite lightweights in the world, and I'm already past that point. I'm above and beyond that point," Alvarez said. "I know I belong in the tournament. Not only do I belong, but I want to prove to people that I'm the best in this tournament." He proved his point all right -- by bludgeoning Andre "Dida" Amade, a tough striker from Chute Boxe who had made it to the finals of the K-1 Hero's lightweight tournament last year.
Submitted May 9, 2008 8:08PM by grappler0000 - 1 comment
Filed under: Other MMA Organizations, MMA Personalities, Interviews