Doctor who prescribed Alistair Overeem medication popped in 2004 for dealing 'controlled substances'
And the plot thickens...
Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Heavyweight Alistair Overeem, who appeared in front of the Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) today (April 24, 2012), has attributed the results of his failed drug test back on March 27 to anti-inflammatory medication he received out of competition to help with his recovery from a rib injury.
That medication, which included self-injections containing testosterone, was prescribed by performance-enhancement doctor Hector Oscar Molina, who was referred to "The Reem" by former UFC fighter Tra Telligman.
The same Dr. Hector Oscar Molina that was fined $25,000 and slapped with restrictions on his practice for three years for "prescribing controlled substances and dangerous drugs over the Internet without establishing a proper physician-patient relationship."
New TV deal could bring more UFC events to U.K.
The UFC doesn't care about the U.K., or so say fans across the Pond who've seen events in Europe slow to a trickle in the past two years.
"Every time I get on Twitter or whatever, I see the U.K. fans, 'They don't care about us. They don't care about this market,'" UFC president Dana White said. "Same thing with Ireland. Of course we do."
But until the current TV situation changes, White can't promise anything before the promotion's current deal expires in August.
That's when a contract between the UFC and ESPN's U.K. branch expires, and as UFC managing director of international development Marshall Zelaznik previously indicated to MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com), more events could be on the way with a new TV partner.
Or a new deal could be struck with ESPN, which has broadcast UFC events since 2009. A U.K. event targeted for the third quarter of this year falls within the timeframe when a new deal could be struck with either network...
Tito Ortiz ponders future in the WWE
Former UFC light-heavyweight champion Tito Ortiz expects Forrest Griffin to be his final fight with the promotion on July 7, and he hinted his future could be in the WWE.
In his prime Ortiz defended the 205lb belt more times than any other before or after him. A devastating ground-and-pound exponent, the Huntington Beach Bad Boy became one of the most popular figures in the sport.
However, a run of injuries has led to him winning just one of his last eight fights, and it is widely expected that he will bow out against Griffin. The pair have won one fight each, so this settles the trilogy.
"It's my final hurrah, Forrest brings the best out of me and vice-versa, and on July 7 we're gonna get some late fireworks," Ortiz told ESPN.
"I've had some major surgeries but I took the fights anyway, and I've shown that I'm able to compete. A lot of athletes don't compete with injuries, but I have. Those fights with Forrest were tight, and a completion of the trilogy should be the right way to end my career...
Numbers Never Lie: UFC 145 Jones vs. Evans
Jones comes from a strong Greco-Roman wrestling background and his skills have translated very well to MMA. His takedown accuracy of 63.6% is the very best in light heavyweight history. He’s already scored 21 takedowns, 4th most in division history, and his 3.32 takedowns per 15 minutes average is the 4th highest in division. Aside from winning takedown battles, Jones shows great control on the ground, spending only 12 seconds in the UFC on his back.
100% Takedown Defense
Jones has never been taken down, an impressive feat considering he’s fought high level wrestlers like Quinton Jackson, Ryan Bader, and Jake O’Brien. In the case of O’Brien, who holds the UFC record with 6.44 takedowns landed per 15 minutes, Jones defended all four attempts by O’Brien. Jones’ takedown defense should be one of his biggest weapons when he faces the takedown-hungry Rashad Evans.
Outlands Opponents by 2.4 Strikes per Minute
Jones is known for the unorthodox striking techniques that he displays in the Octagon, but what may surprise most is that he’s actually quite efficient in this area. Jones’ strike differential is 2.40, the fourth best total in UFC history. This means that Jones lands 2.4 more strikes every minute than he absorbs...
Brock Lesnar's WWE Return - Video
For some reason that I can't really put into words, I was really liking Lesnar in MMA...and now that he's gone back to the WWE, I lost respect (although I can't raelly say why)... I guess at the end of the day money talks...but this just bothers me
And it makes me think...what can those other wrestlers say to him in the "ring"? Oh so now you're returning from that real life fighting business and think you can stand up to us fakers....lol
Rashad Evans Offers a Little Friendly Advice for 'King' Mo Lawal
Former UFC light heavyweight champ Rashad Evans was sad to see Mo Lawal’s situation go from bad to worse this past week, he told MMA Fighting. The two are colleagues in the fight game, but they’re also friends, which made it hard to watch as Lawal was released from his Strikeforce contract shortly after being fined and suspended by the Nevada State Athletic Commission on Tuesday.
"It’s unfortunate, man. Mo’s probably one of the best guys I’ve ever met in the sport, and even outside of the sport," said Evans. "He’s so much different than the character, or what he comes across as. People get the wrong take on Mo."
The way Evans sees it, many people fail to see the distinction between the real Lawal and the "King Mo" persona he’s adopted for the purposes of a little pre-fight entertainment. What they don’t realize is that, whether on Twitter or in person, they’re getting a much more genuine response than they get from many other fighters.
Sometimes, however, that’s a personality trait that comes with certain consequences.
Former UFC Champ Brock Lesnar Back to WWE?
It appears that it hasn’t taken former UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar to find a new job.
Rumors constantly swirled around Lesnar about a return to his professional wrestling gig with WWE even while he was actively competing in the UFC. The rumors increased following his retirement after losing to Alistair Overeem at the promotion’s 2011 year-end event, UFC 141.
Those rumors have risen to a fever pitch with Dave Meltzer of The Wrestling Observer now reporting, although he doesn’t have confirmation, that Lesnar is believed to have signed a one-year deal with WWE and “will work a more than Undertaker and less than Goldberg type of schedule” upon his return.
Bellator, Super Fight League Both Voice Interest in New Free Agent 'King' Mo Lawal
When Muhammed Lawal was cut by Strikeforce this week following a nine-month suspension, his future was thrown into disarray. For now, Lawal is still on the mend from recent knee surgery, but he may not have to wait long to find a new home.
At least two promotions have stated their interest in the former Strikeforce light-heavyweight champion. In separate interviews with MMA Fighting, both Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney and Super Fight League CEO Ken Pavia confirmed that they would likely reach out to Lawal in the near future to assess the possibility of pursuing him as a free agent for their respective organizations.
overeem sentenced community service
Heavyweight mixed martial artist Alistair Overeem was sentenced to 50 hours of community service Tuesday stemming from a Jan. 2 incident in which he allegedly pushed a woman at a Las Vegas nightclub.
Additionally, Overeem must attend anger-management counseling and stay out of trouble for 90 days. Failure to comply could result in a 90-day jail sentence.
Patrick Cote Tells Ex-UFC Fighters to Stop Begging
“Dear Tim Sylvia, shut the hell up, win fights and stop begging, it’s (expletive) annoying!”
~ Patrick Cote via Twitter.
Patrick Cote wants to get back to the UFC, and he’s made no bones about that in past interviews, but there’s one thing he wants to make clear: he’s not going to beg for the UFC to take him back via Twitter, Facebook, or any other social network.
Cote’s anger at the tactic erupted via his own Twitter account, but he promises it wasn’t necessarily targeted at Sylvia.
Cote was targeting any former UFC fighter that was going the social networking route as opposed to fighting to get back to the Octagon.
“Maybe that was a little bit out of control because that wasn’t a personal attack to Tim Sylvia, but that was just begging to have a chance to go back to the UFC, for me, it’s just a shame. You can’t beg the big organizations like that,” said Cote.
“You’ve been a champion in this organization; you know how things work. You’re not going to go anywhere by begging like that. I was just annoyed about begging, a lot of the begging, and I said loud what a lot of people was thinking. I have nothing against Sylvia. He’s been a great champion. He did a lot in the sport. He did a lot in the UFC. I hope he’s going to be back in the UFC. That’s not the point. The point was just about the begging thing.”
“The only thing you have to do is shut your mouth, win fights, and prove you deserve to be back in the big show by winning fights and by your performance,” Cote stated.
“It’s the only way to get back. You have to prove yourself again to deserve the chance to get back in the big show; that’s what I’m doing.”
UFC 129 earns 2012 Sports Business Award nomination for 'Event of the Year'
For the second straight year, the UFC has been recognized with a Sports Business Award nomination.
This past April's UFC 129 event – a first-ever stadium show that set a North American and UFC attendance record with 55,724 – earned a nomination for "Sports Event of the Year."
However, unlike 2011, the UFC wasn't nominated for "Sports League of the Year."
Officials today announced the nominations. The awards, which the industry publication "SportsBusiness Journal" launched in 2008, celebrate excellence in sports business. This year's winners will be unveiled as part of a ceremony on May 23 at the New York Marriott Marquis at Times Square in New York City.
UFC 129 took place on April 30, 2011, at Toronto's Rogers Centre. The landmark event – which saw title defenses from Canadian welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre and featherweight titleholder Jose Aldo – sold out on the first day tickets went on sale to the general public. In addition to attendance records, the event, which also included a two-day UFC Fan Expo, set a UFC and North American live-gate record with $12.1 million. It was also one of the biggest PPV draws in recent years.
In the "Sports League of the Year" category, UFC 129 faces competition from the 2011 Carrier Classic (NCAA basketball), 2011 Humana Challenge (PGA), 2011 NBA Finals and Super Bowl XLVI (NFL). The 2010 ING New York City Marathon is the reigning division winner...
UFC's Marc Ratner wants 'international federation' to regulate events
Thus far, regulators haven't been able to keep up with the UFC's aggressive international expansion.
Events in Canada, Australia and –next month – Sweden, are regulated by an independent regulatory body. But in places where no athletic commission exists, the promotion has taken that role for events in the U.K., Brazil and Japan.
UFC vice president of regulatory affairs Mark Ratner would like to see a single agency take the lead in regulating international events, overseeing officials, conducting drug tests and enforcing the unified rules of MMA. He said the promotion is pushing for an "international federation" to do the job.
"We'd like to get it over to France, and someday to Brazil and to Italy, so we have one set of rules, one set of medical standards," Ratner told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio). "That's our long-term goal. We do need a worldwide federation."
France, Italy and Spain are among the international destinations the promotion is actively targeting for future shows. A return to Abu Dhabi is also on the radar, Ratner said, though an exact date is unknown.
There were seven international events on the UFC's calendar in 2010 and six in 2011. The promotion is on track to top those numbers this year with six events already in the books or scheduled. In addition to live events, international editions of the UFC's flagship reality show "The Ultimate Fighter" are now underway with filming underway in Brazil and an "Australia vs. U.K." season in the works. Executives hope eventually to create a grand-prix tournament of international "TUF" contestants.
So demand is there for officials beyond U.S. borders...
Following NSAC challenge, lawyer says UFC's Nick Diaz didn't lie about marijuana RX
A lawyer representing Nick Diaz said the Nevada Attorney General's office made a "very offensive" and "ridiculous" statement when Diaz was accused of lying on a pre-fight medical questionnaire prior to his fight with Carlos Condit at UFC 143.
Las Vegas-based lawyer Ross Goodman contends that Diaz's medical-marijuana card doesn't constitute a prescription.
So, he said, the fighter wasn't lying when he checked "no" on the part of the questionnaire asking whether he had taken or received any prescribed medications two weeks prior to his fight.
"The fact that they're falling back now on this is significant because you would think they would respond to the stuff that we argued in the response, which I think is basically irrefutable," Goodman told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).
Goodman on March 7 responded to a complaint for disciplinary action against Diaz that was issued Feb. 8 when a post-fight drug test revealed the presence of marijuana metabolites. Diaz (27-8 MMA, 7-5 UFC) lost a unanimous decision to Condit (28-5 MMA, 5-1 UFC) in the headliner of UFC 143, which took place Feb. 4 at Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas. He subsequently said he he was retiring from competition after the pay-per-view event.
For now, Diaz is temporarily suspended pending a hearing scheduled for next month in Las Vegas, where he'll appear to face a possible yearlong suspension and fines. He also tested positive for marijuana following a 2007 win over Takanori Gomi at PRIDE 33. Diaz was suspended for six months for that offense, and the result of the bout was changed to a no-contest.
Rule 467.850 of the NSAC's administrative code bars the use of illicit substances such as performance-enhancing drugs and drugs of abuse, including marijuana. The commission also recognizes a list of substances prohibited in and out of competition by the World Anti-Doping Agency, or WADA...
Zuffa takes down illegal site, going after users for the first time
As part of the on-going initiative against online piracy, Zuffa LLC, the parent company of the Ultimate Fighting Championship® organization, was successful in taking down and seizing the records of www.greenfeedz.com, a website which illegally streamed a dozen UFC Pay-Per-View events.
The records detail the email addresses, user names, number of events users illegally streamed and the IP addresses of all users who registered to watch pirated UFC events. The website had illegally streamed all UFC PPVs from UFC 130 to UFC 142, and the user records date back to May 28, 2011.
'I Am Bruce Lee' documentary debuts tonight on Spike TV
"I Am Bruce Lee" makes it television debut tonight on Spike TV.
The two-hour documentary focuses on the legendary Bruce Lee, a cultural icon and seminal figure in the history of martial arts.
The two-hour film – which includes interviews with the likes of UFC president Dana White, Stephan Bonnar, Jon Jones, Cung Le and Gina Carano – airs at 9 p.m. ET/PT.
Before an untimely death in 1973 at just 32 years old, Lee entertained as a martial-arts instructor, actor and producer, which earned him the nickname the "Father of Martial Arts Cinema." He also founded the Jeet Kune Do martial-arts and life-philosophy movement, which inspired many current MMA fighters...
UFC champ Jon Jones to serve as Daytona 500 honorary race official
UFC light-heavyweight champion Jon Jones is heading to NASCAR's Daytona 500.
Jones serves as an honorary race official for the 54th annual Sprint Cup Series race, which takes place Feb. 26 at Daytona International Speedway in Florida.
The season-opening NASCAR race airs on UFC broadcast partner FOX.
"I am thrilled to be able to serve as honorary race official at this year's Daytona 500, NASCAR's premier event," Jones stated in a release. "Like the UFC, NASCAR has a passionate and knowledgeable fan base, and I am honored that I will get to share this experience with them."
FTC ends probe of UFC/Strikeforce deal
The Federal Trade Commission closed a non-public investigation into the Ultimate Fighting Championship's purchase of Strikeforce last week and will take no further action in the case.
Documents published on the FTC website dated January 25, confirm the FTC's Bureau of Competition conducted an investigation to determine whether the $34 million acquisition of Explosion Entertainment, LLC, by UFC's parent company, Zuffa LLC, violated Section 7 of the Clayton Act or Section 5 of the Federal Trade Commission Act.
In closing letters issued to counsel for Zuffa and Explosion Entertainment, FTC secretary Donald S. Clark stated, "Upon further review of this matter, it now appears that no further action is warranted by the Commission at this time. Accordingly, the investigation has been closed."