Judge Orders Sanctions Against Fertittas In Xyience Case
A federal bankruptcy judge has ordered sanctions against Fertitta Enterprises for failing to turn over e-mails from its chief financial officer suggesting the firm might have had a hand in the bankruptcy of sport-drink maker Xyience. The Fertittas, Las Vegas gambling tycoons who also own the Ultimate Fighting Championship franchise, are accused by the trustee of bankrupt Xyience of lending the firm $12 million at a time of crisis and then using the loan to strip the company’s assets from its shareholders.
Xyience is a major sponsor of Ultimate Fighting Championship, which the Fertittas bought in 2001 for $2 million and quickly turned into a cash machine. The energy-drink company was founded by a twice-convicted felon and sales genius named Russell Pike, who raised millions of dollars from Midwest labor unions and other investors who later accused him of fraud. The Fertitta brothers also control Station Casinos, which emerged from bankruptcy in 2009.
In an Oct. 28 order, U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Lloyd King held that William Bullard, the chief financial officer of Fertitta Enterprises and a manager of Xyience, failed to comply with discovery requests for documents related to the company’s bankruptcy. Bullard said e-mails had been destroyed, yet he was obligated to keep them since he knew the loan deal might spawn litigation and trigger rules requiring the retention of all relevant documents. (At a November 2007 Xyience board meeting, before the loan was made, he refused to serve as a director because of threatened shareholder litigation.)
E-mails were later found on computers at a Las Vegas beer company where Bullard also works. They detailed how Fertitta proceeded with the loan even though there was a potential $150 million buyout offer from Canada’s Cott Corp. Judge King said Fertitta’s “wilful, bad-faith discovery behavior justifies the imposition of monetary sanctions” to be determined at a December hearing...
Brock: I'll have one more match in WWE
Jon Robinson: Do you have any regrets about leaving WWE?
Brock Lesnar: I don't have any regrets. If I had any regrets, it would have been that I wish I enjoyed my time there a little bit better. I'm not a very good yes man, and I'm not very easily controlled.
Jon Robinson: Do you ever think you will go back and have one last WWE match?
Brock Lesnar: I think I will. I think under the right circumstances I will. I think if Vince McMahon and I were able to sit down at the same dinner table and break some bread that we could come up with some kind of gameplan. At the end of the day, I'm an ultimate fighter. That's who I am and that's who I'll always be. I was an entertainer but at the end of the day, I'm still as real as it gets. I think a lot of things have to fall in the right places for something like that to happen.
Mike Whitehead strikes plea bargain in sex-assault case
Heavyweight fighter Mike Whitehead will face probation after reaching a plea deal with prosecutors accusing him of trying to have sex with a woman who was asleep in his home.
Whitehead appeared in Las Vegas' Clark County District Court this week to officially plead guilty to a charge of attempted sexual assault, the Las Vegas Sun reports. Whitehead entered an Alford plea, under which a defendant maintains innocence, but concedes that prosecutors probably can get a conviction.
He will be officially sentenced in January. Under his plea bargain, prosecutors will recommend probation for Whitehead, who would be required to register as a sex offender...
Rory MacDonald Still Wants Revenge On Carlos Condit
It seems despite being touted as one of the best prospects in MMA today, Rory MacDonald (11-1) is having trouble letting go of the one defeat on his record. At UFC 115, MacDonald found himself two rounds up against Condit, but when the third round kicked off, Condit came out and absolutely destroyed MacDonald, marking up his face and forcing the ref to stop the fight just 7 seconds before the end of the fight. Speaking to Sportsnet.ca, 21 year old MacDonald stated:
"I still want my revenge against Carlos, though, because I truly believe I am a better fighter than him. I made a mistake in our fight and he capitalized. It happens to fighters on a weekly basis, and I wasn't the first or last to find myself in that position.
Zuffa Threatens To Pull Overeem Out of Strikeforce Grand Prix
Zuffa Threatens To Pull Overeem Out of Strikeforce Grand Prix
Speaking to Ariel Helwani on Monday's edition of MMAFighting.com's "The MMA Hour", Strikeforce Heavyweight Champion Alistair "The Reem" Overeem (35-11-0-1) had some shocking news to share, as he confirmed that he has been "threatened" by Zuffa to be pulled from the Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix if he does not comply with a scheduled September 10th date to compete in the semi-finals vs. Antonio Silva.
"Stikeforce has requested me to accept the fight for Sept. 10, to agree on that, but I have not agreed on it and I also had some emails, some questions asked, is the fight confirmed? No, the fight is not confirmed. I do not confirm it and I will not confirm it," said Overeem...
Ben Rothwell: Its Not Right How Champions Act
Dont call it a comeback !
"Big" Ben Rothwell (31-7), has not been seen in the UFC cage in over a year now. His last steps inside the Octagon saw him take a hard earned decision win over tough kickboxer Gilbert Yvel. Despite the win, Rothwell left the cage with a torn ACL and a deviated septum. After surgery and a hell of alot of work, Rothwell is set to step back into action, and will square off against big hitting Mark Hunt at UFC 135. Speaking to CageWriter.com, Rothwell stated:
"I've really worked hard on myself. It's not a comeback. It's an unveiling. I have been off for more than a year, and instead of using it as a layoff I've used it as a huge building block. I posted a few pictures, and people said, 'Whoa, this guy ain't the same.' When I came back to Duke, he said, 'People who are off because of an injury usually gain 20 lbs. You look like you've lost 20 lbs.' ... A lot of these guys, especially champions, I see how they act, and it enrages me.
Nogueira: Sonnen Has No Principles Or Character
You can add Antonio Rogerio Nogueira to the Loooooong list of Brazilian fighters who are lining up for a shot at Middleweight motormouth Chael Sonnen. In the last couple of years, Sonnen has made a name for himself as a tormentor of Brazilian MMA, laying into the likes of Anderson Silva, Lyoto Machida and even Nogueira's big brother.
Now, speaking to Sherdog.com, Lil Nogs had voiced his own opinion on the controversial Republican:
“It sure would be a great fight with Chael Sonnen. He’s a guy everybody wants to beat. He’s not a good example for the sport. He talks too much and says a lot of nonsense."
Dana White: Jon Jones Not A P4P Great....Yet
Pound for Pound (P4P)....The term splits fans down the middle, some love doing P4P lists, others see them as ridiculous nonsense.
Ask fans who love them and you will usually hear that UFC Champions Anderson Silva and Georges St Pierre are topping the ranks, but does MMA's newest golden boy Jon "Bones" Jones deserve to be listed among those elite legendary names. Here is what UFC President Dana White thinks:
"Many people think that Jon Jones should be considered one of the pound-for-pound best fighters in the world...........
Frankie Edgar Vs Gray Maynard III Set For UFC 136
Its finally on Addicts !
The trilogy fight, the UFC Lightweight title rematch between champion Frankie Edgar and his nemesis Gray Maynard (10-0) has been set as the main event for the increasingly amazing looking UFC 136.
Frankie "The Answer" Edgar blasted through BJ Penn, arguably the greatest 155lb fighter in MMA history.....
The full time-line of the scramble to replace Davis
Dana White Details The Scramble To Replace Phil Davis
During a UFC 133 conference call, UFC President Dana White detailed what happened in the scramble to replace UFC 133 main eventer Phil Davis after he was forced out with injury.
We found out Phil Davis was hurt last week and we had him set up for an MRI. We called Tito about replacing him and Tito said he had personal issues. So we called Machida, he seemed excited about it.
Brett Rogers Arrested And Jailed For Domestic Abuse
Strikeforce heavyweight star Brett "Grim" Rogers has been arrested and jailed in connection with assaulting his wife Wednesday in their South Metro home in Apple Valley, Minnesota.
According to reports, Rogers wife was strangled, punched repeatedly in the head and face, and also lost a tooth in the struggle.
Helwani's updates on the Marquardt story from last night
Ariel Helwani has posted his latest information on the failed Nate Marquardt pre-fight medical test and his ultimate dismissal from the UFC.
arielhelwani Ariel Helwani
Nate failed the medical requirements for the fight and was put on suspension by the PA athletic commission until he provides a medical ...
... report showing that he's satisfied those requirements. He was given every opportunity to meet the requirements ...
MFC 30 results and review
MFC 30: Cobb catches Fickett with first-round finish, Davis, Westcott, Lima among other winners at M
Brian Cobb survived a series of serious submission threats, turned the tide of his fight in a quick flash, and scored a surprising TKO victory over Drew Fickett in the co-main event of the Maximum Fighting Championship’s MFC 30: Up Close & Personal on Friday night.
The event aired live on HDNet Fights before a packed house at the Mayfield Convention Centre in Edmonton, Alberta.
Cobb (19-6), who was making his MFC debut, was in deep trouble after being taken down in the corner with Fickett eyeing a fast submission victory. Fickett (41-14) looked to have the win sewn up as he took Cobb’s back, secured a body lock, and went for a rear-naked choke followed by a neck crank. But “The Bandit” eventually slithered out of harm’s way and turned into Fickett’s guard to begin raining down right hands. When Fickett’s head bounced off the mat for the second time, referee Vern Gorman stepped in to halt Cobb’s attack with just 16 seconds left in the first round.
“Without a doubt, the biggest win of my career,” said Cobb, the Bakersfield, California, product who racked up his fourth straight victory. “It was a true honor to fight Drew Fickett and I am extremely happy with this win.”
McKee out of fight with Aoki; search for replacement is on. (Jami Varner in?)
Initially, MMAJunkie.com reported on Monday that McKee (Pictured) had withdrawn from the bout due to visa issues. However, Dream official Mike Kogan asserted that visa problems were not the reason the fight fell apart.
According to Kogan, Monday’s report was how he found out that the fight was no longer a go.
“That’s actually why it upset me. I’ve got to read [on the Internet] that the guy who I fought for [to be on the card] is all of a sudden not fighting and making it sound like it’s beyond his control,” Kogan told Sherdog.com. “The visa issues were never a problem. I figure that part out first, before I book fighters. I have a very good travel agent that I’ve been working with forever on [acquiring] visas, even on last-minute notice. Here, we almost had three weeks, so it wasn’t an issue.”
...“He needs to come up with a better excuse as to why he isn’t fighting, because it isn’t the visa. As a matter of fact, I can get him his visa today. It’s still not too late. All he has to do is drive to [Los Angeles].”
Tito Ortiz helped post suspect's $500,000 bond
Could Keith Harriman's criminal case get any stranger?
The answer would seem to be yes after a hearing Friday revealed that Harriman was able to post $500,000 bond thanks to help from ultimate fighter Tito Ortiz.
Harriman is charged with 12 felony counts in a plot to have his son, Dominick Harriman, 27, killed in a sordid affair involving an insurance fraud scam and a love triangle with Keith Harriman's former wife.
Prosecutors have been wanting to know where Keith Harriman got the money to post the bond for his release from the Clark County Detention Center, because he had declared he was indigent and needed representation from the public defender's office.
District Judge David Barker ordered Keith Harriman to say where the money came from at the hearing Friday. Harriman said Ortiz put up the bulk of the collateral needed from a bondsman. Several people were surprised to hear Ortiz's name announced by Harriman...
Wesley “Cabbage” Correira Arrested on Charges of Burglary and Theft
Former UFC fighter Wesley “Cabbage” Correira isn’t doing so well outside the cage.
Correira on Thursday plead not guilty in Hilo Circuit Court to charges of first-degree burglary and second-degree theft, according to a report from Hawaii’s Tribune-Herald.
Police arrested Correira on Wednesday for allegedly burglarizing a home in September 2009. He apparently took a television and assorted electronic equipment and games valued at approximately $4,200, according to the report. The second-degree theft charge stems from an incident on April 8, when he was accused of taking an iPhone from behind the counter of a store.
Correira is currently in custody with bail set at $19,900.
A Labor of Glove
Action in the cage has a way of being chaotic. What goes on backstage to ensure fighters get paid and fans get their money's worth is anything but, thanks to commissions like the CSAC.
Amateur MMA fighter Kearn Nedd dies fending off robbery
Tragedy strikes again for the world of MMA, I hate seeing things happen. Kern was a personal friend of mine.
Amateur Canadian mixed martial artist, Kearn Nedd, was killed Saturday afternoon (April 16, 2011) while attempting to foil a robbery at a charity poker game at the Rozz Restaurant and Entertainment Complex in Brampton, Ontario.