M-1 Global News - Page 3
Do you have a hot MMA story or news item that you have found and would like to share? Simply read the instructions, then post it to our MMA News Share Forum to have it display here for the community to read on this page.
Gegard Mousasi severs ties with M-1 Global
One of mixed martial arts most promising talents will no longer answer to the powers that be under the M-1 Global banner, as Gegard Mousasi announced the end of his business relationship with the Vadim Finkelchtein-led fight promotion. From "The Dreamcatcher," courtesy of Sherdog.com: "After careful consideration, I have decided that it is in my best interest to part ways with M-1 Global. During the time I spent under their wing, M-1 Global, as a promoter and management company, allowed me to achieve many great things. I appreciate all they have done for me. My management is [now] being taken care of by someone close to me."
White prepared to call M-1 Global's bluff of free Lesnar vs. Emelianenko bout
Earlier this month, M-1 Global exec Jerry Millen made waves by claiming Fedor Emelianenko would be willing to fight Brock Lesnar for free. UFC president Dana White recently told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio) that he's prepared to call Millen's bluff. "They'll do the fight for free?" White asked. "That's [expletive] weird because I offered them millions of dollars to take the fight and he didn't take it. Now [Emelianenko] wants to fight for free? When and where? I'd love him to fight for free. "I'll make that [expletive] fight right now for free. Let's do it."
Gegard Mousasi Blog: “My next fight will be in November”
After my win on Babulu, I’ve noticed that I have gotten more American fans. A lot of people didn’t know me but winning against the favorite in Babulu gave me extra attention. There were some people that weren’t convinced yet but I’m happy to show them my ability. I like to read all the great reactions and that people believe in me. It really motivates me and I feel I’m just making my entrance. I still have a long road to go. In November my second fight for Strikeforce will take place but my opponent is not been determent . I heard some rumors like Kevin Randleman , Paulo Filho and Mike Whitehead . Whitehead would be the most logical pick because he recently won against Randleman. I’ve also heard a rumor that Arona is fighting again and it would be great if Strikeforce can pick him up. We can use a new light heavyweight fighter. For now, I am just just concentrating on myself. On this level everybody is a threat in a fight. It’s better to look at yourself instead of your opponent.
Russia Legion announces M-1 Challenge semifinal match-up vs England on Sept. 26
Amsterdam, Holland — After compiling a 3-0 team record and a 13-2 individual record en route to a Group D title in the 2009 “M-1 Challenge Presented by Affliction” (www.M-1Global.com), Team Russia Legion is locked and loaded as it ramps up for its run at the M-1 Challenge Championship Cup. First, Russia Legion must win its upcoming best-of-five series vs. Team England on Sept. 26 during the M-1 Challenge semifinals, which will be broadcast live on Internet PPV via M-1Global.com. While Legion enters the matchup as the odds-on favorite, the never-say-day team of fighters from Britain have nothing to lose and everything to gain, as Legion must deal with the added competing in its home city of Rostov, Russia.
‘Cro Cop’ Doesn’t Think Fedor is Afraid
"Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic has no clue why Fedor Emelianenko signed with Strikeforce and decided against testing himself inside the UFC. Like much of the mixed martial arts community, the Russian’s decision left him scratching his head. “I like Fedor as a fighter,” Filipovic said during a pre-fight conference call for UFC 103 on Tuesday. “As a man, I don’t want to insult Fedor, but I don’t understand his attitude. I really don’t understand why he doesn’t want to enter the UFC."
Mousasi: UFC Never Made Offer
"In terms of long-term potential, few mixed martial artists carry the value of Gegard Mousasi, a multi-lingual 24-year-old with talent to spare. Currently under contract to Strikeforce and Dream, he denies the UFC made a pitch for his services following the collapse of Affliction’s fight promotion wing in July."
M-1 fighter Toni Valtonen has a swastika tattoo
Really good article IMO. It shows how UFC successfully turned a worthless division into the best one in the world. Also mentions Fedor's possible future.
M-1 Breakthrough Main Event Payouts & Medical Suspensions
The Kansas Boxing Commission today revealed the main event fighter payouts and medical suspensions from Saturday's M-1 Breakthrough event. The Kansas Boxing Commission only tracks the fight purses for main-event fighters (though KBC commissioner Peter Howes said they'll expand the record-keeping in early 2010) so they only revealed that Muhammad Lawal & Mark Kerr made a combined $55,000 and that 5 medical suspensions were handed out-3 for 30 days, Kerr for 60 days and one is indefinite due to a shoulder injury.
M-1 Global Breakthrough - Full Results
Fedor defeats Mousasi with an armbar and King Mo absolutely dominates Mark Kerr within the first 30 seconds of the fight. Where will King Mo fight next? We'll find out soon enough.
“M-1 Global: Breakthrough” Weigh-In Results
A full list of the weigh-in results for the event are listed below. Heavyweight (3×5): Muhammed “King Mo” Lawal (219 lbs.) vs. Mark “The Smashing Machine” Kerr (263 lbs.) Middleweight (3×5): Lucio “The Spartan” Linhares (185 lbs.) vs. Mikhail Zayats (185 lbs.) Heavyweight (3×5): Jessie Gibbs (254 lbs.) vs. Rob Broughton (262 lbs.) Middleweight (3×5): Karl “Psycho” Amoussou (185 lbs.) vs. “The Iron Bull” John Doyle (184 lbs.) Heavyweight (3×5): Lloyd “Kadillac” Marshbanks (253 lbs.) vs. Michael Kita (230 lbs.) Lightweight (3×5): Daisuke Nakamura (154 lbs.) vs. *Ferrid “The Hurricane” Kheder (159 lbs.) Heavyweight (3×5): **Rogent Lloret (N/A) vs. Alexey Oleinik (234 lbs.) Lightweight (3×5): Eric Marriott (155 lbs.) vs. Tim Bazer (153 lbs.) Lightweight (3×5): Sean “P-Town” Wilson (155 lbs.) vs. Josh Arocho (154 lbs.) Welterweight (3×5): Rudy Bears (175 lbs.) vs. Brendan Seguin (175 lbs.) Female 150 lbs. (3×3): **Andria Caplan (155 lbs.) vs. Mollie Ahlers-Estes (149 lbs.) * Denotes fight changed from 155 lbs. to catchweight of 159 lbs. with Nakamura receiving 10% of Kheder’s purse ** Denotes that due to visa issues, Lloret will be allowed to weigh-in Friday. *** Denotes that bout changed to catchweight of 155 lbs. and that fight has been changed from pro status to amateur status.
M-1 Global announces complete card for "Breakthrough," HDNet live broadcast plans
The much-maligned "M-1 Global Presents Breakthrough" card was finalized today, and HDNet officially announced the evening's live broadcast plans. Despite suffering through a a relocation of the event and the loss of an original main-event competitor, "Breakthrough" takes place Aug. 28 at Memorial Hall in Kansas City, Kan., and airs live on HDNet at 10 p.m. ET (9 p.m. local time).
Don Frye breaks silence on "M-1 Breakthrough" withdrawal, blames organization for change
While the executives of M-1 Global are no strangers to controversy and criticism, the organization's upcoming "M-1 Global presents Breakthrough" took a hit when original headliner Don Frye backed out of his fight with Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal. While M-1 Global CEO Joost Raimond immediately went on the offensive, issuing a press release that questioned Frye's motives for backing out, "The Predator" remained relatively silent on the subject. That is, until now.
Why Fedor Emelianenko's and M-1's Co-Promotion Requirement Could Ruin MMA
"This simply isn't going to happen and not just because of the money. UFC has learned the main lesson of boxing's decline: You need to give people the fights they want to see. That can't be done when every fighter is a promotion unto himself, able to avoid taking on an opponent if he doesn't like the terms or his chances. To allow Emelianenko to co-promote with UFC would just be to encourage Lesnar, St-Pierre, Silva, and anyone else who wants more money and more control to hold out for the same rights. And that would be crippling to a nascent sporting cartel."
John Doyle replaces Nick Thompson in "M-1: Breakthrough" fight with Karl Amoussou
Less than 24 hours after MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) reported Nick Thompson (38-11-1) had suffered a facial cut and was forced out of an "M-1: Breakthrough" fight with highly touted Karl Amoussou (10-2-1), the organization has announced a replacement. Filling in on nine days' notice is veteran fighter John Doyle (8-8).
Fight Path: How a mosh pit eventually led Andria Caplan to the "M-1: Breakthrough" card
Andria Caplan was barely aware of mixed martial arts when she and her brother took their passion for the band Biohazard to Philadelphia's Trocadero Theatre about six years ago. A music enthusiast, Andria had even played bass in a high school band with friends, and the group was one of her favorites. "We went crazy in the little pit every time we heard them," Andria told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). That night, though, her life would change and lead to a new passion. That's because one of the bouncers working the club that night was Sam Caplan, a dabbler in kung fu and MMA who was on the verge of his own MMA career, though his veered toward the editorial, marketing and promotions end of the business.
Mousasi Pleased With U.S Debut.
Gegard Mousasi broke down his first-round knockout of Renato “Babalu” Sobral at Strikeforce “Carano vs. Cyborg.” ...
Submitted Aug 17, 2009 10:37PM by MMA-San - 5 comments
Filed under: M-1 Global, StrikeForce, Dream, Interviews
'King Mo' Lawal vs. Mark Kerr, Fedor Emelianenko vs. Gegard Mousasi Exhibition set for M-1 "Breakthrough"
According to MMAJunkie, Don Frye has been replaced as headliner for M-1 Breakthrough: "M-1 Breakthrough" will now feature a main event between previously scheduled headliner "King" Mo Lawal and replacement fighter Mark Kerr. King Mo (4-0) was originally scheduled to face Don Frye at the main event of M-1 "Breakthrough" but an injury forced him to pull out. Frye will be replaced by 40-year-old, PRIDE and UFC veteran, Mark Kerr (15-10).
M-1 Global may be ready for a "Breakthrough," but California isn't ready to host it.
M-1 Global may be ready for a "Breakthrough," but California isn't ready to host it. SI.com's Josh Gross reported on today's edition of his podcast "Gross Point Blank" that the previously announced "M-1 Breakthrough" event will not take place at the Los Angeles Convention Center as was originally planned.
Fedor Emelianenko Signs with Strikeforce
Check out the link to read the official press release!!