Amatuer MMA to be Fully Sanctioned in Florida in 2009
Steve Bruno got his feet wet in unlicensed mixed martial arts fights known as "smokers" notorious for no-holds-barred mismatches and a lack of adequate on-site medical care. The American Top Team Coconut Creek rising star is one of many professional mixed martial arts fighters who came up the hard way.
That's all about to change thanks to a law spearheaded by Tom Molloy, executive director of the Florida Athletic Commission, and Cory Schafer, president of the International Sport Kickboxing Association. With the safety and development of the fighters in mind, mixed martial arts will be a fully sanctioned amateur sport in the state beginning in January. "
Free From AFL, Assuncao Going Big In 2009
Raphael Assuncao, ranked as the No. 9 featherweight fighter in the world, has been very successful to this point in his career, all without the backing of a major fight promotion. That is something that should change as he heads into 2009.
Assuncao says that he's in the midst of negotiations that would land him on the biggest stage of his 12-1 professional career in the coming year.
"2009 is going to be a year that everything is going to fall in place for me," he told MMAWeekly.com recently.
jeff monson wins-gold-world-grappling-championship
Former UFC heavyweight Jeff Monson won a Gold medal on Saturday in Ucerne, Switzerland at the first official World Grappling Championship.
Monson, who last week avenged a loss against Ricco Rodriguez from UFC 35, won Gold in the 125kg division.
The other pro MMA fighter walking away with Gold was Fatal Femmes Fighting flyweight champ Lisa Ward, who was first in the women’s 48kg division.
Miesha Tate, who defeated EliteXC vet Elaina Maxwell in June at Strikeforce, took home Silver in the women's 72kg division.
The World Grappling Championship was organized by the International Federation of Associated Wrestling Styles (FILA) and the Swiss Wrestling Federation.
Vote For GSP As 2008 Canadian Athlete Of The Year!!!
He regained his UFC welterweight championship from Matt Serra and further established himself as the best 170-pounder on the planet with his five round win over Jon Fitch. Now it's time for you to vote for Montreal's Georges St-Pierre as Sportsnet.ca's 2008 Canadian Athlete of The Year.
10 Tough Debuts
1. Brock Lesnar vs. Frank Mir (UFC 81, 2/2/08)
So it’s a bit of a cheat -- Lesnar’s first pro MMA bout came against Min Soo Kim in 2007. But I argue that if your opponent doesn’t punch you back, it’s not much of a fight.
Lesnar’s real test came against Mir in his UFC debut, a fight that organizers seemed to concoct with the intention of giving Lesnar the most difficult road possible. Where Lesnar is at his most formidable and comfortable -- providing offense on top -- is where Mir is most dangerous, a fact he proved less than a couple of minutes in with a heel hook.
That Lesnar was able to rebound speaks to his confidence as an athlete, and the fact that he didn’t enter the sport for the quick payday. While I generally yawn at rematches, this is one that would likely provide contrast between first-fight jitters and the cage calm that comes with experience.
Mir subed Brock with a heel hook apparently, i swear i thought it was a kneebar, oh well its from sherdog it must be right
Black House reborn in Los Angeles
While the proliferation of major training camps in MMA continues -- a list that currently includes AKA, American Top Team, Greg Jackson's, Miletich Fighting Systems and Xtreme Couture, among others -- another name is quietly rising from the ashes: Black House.
The star-studded team of Brazilians first emerged in 2006. The Rio de Janeiro based camp seemed destined for greatness, then just as quickly faded away.
Ed Soares, manager for several of MMA's top Brazilian fighters, recently told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that the camp was set to relaunch in the U.S.
"We're opening up a Black House training facility in Los Angeles for all the guys that we represent to train at," Soares said. "Hopefully we'll have it open by the end of the year."
Just a matter of time: Robert Drysdale
Robert Drysdale — the 2007 Abu Dhabi Combat Club (ADCC) Open Weight tournament winner — tasted mixed martial arts victory for the first time on October 17 of this year, submitting Josh Musick with a sweet-looking first round armbar at TUFF-N-UFF.
The event took place at The Orleans Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas, Nevada, marking the amateur debut in the sport for perhaps the most dangerous 205-pound Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu player on the planet today.
Stefan Struve Being Courted By All Major Orgs
Young Dutch heavyweight Stefan Struve is being courted by the UFC and a number of other large MMA promotions.
Struve (22-2) told Fighters Only today that he and his coach Bob Schreiber have been discussing a deal with UFC executives.
“We’re in talks but we didn’t sign anything yet. We’ve got a couple of options so we are looking at the best one now,” he said.
“We have also talked with both Dream and Affliction, so there will be a choice to make!”
Paul ''Semtex''Daley Wants UFC Fights In 2009
Standout UK welterweight Paul ‘Semtex’ Daley believes that 2009 might be the year we see him entering the UFC.
Speaking with Fighters Only after his stoppage win over John Alessio, a veteran of that organisation, Daley was asked about his future plans.
“Alessio was a great win for me. I'm still never 100 per cent happy with any of my performances, but hey... I won, and I stopped him via TKO, something that has never been done before,” he said.
“So I think 2009 is the year for Semtex to arrive in the UFC.”
Gary Goodridge Walks Out Of Ring During Fight
Gary Goodridge showed up to fight in Budapest, Hungary today. He did not expect to have to fight two opponents - Nemeth “Tatar” Gabor AND the referee. According to Gary Goodridge’s Facebook page, “Big Daddy” Goodridge left the match during the second round. Goodridge announced on his site that Gabor constantly held onto the ropes and the referee never stopped the behavior nor docked Gabor any points. Instead, the referee docked Goodridge points in the first round for no apparent reasons.
As Goodridge mentions on the site, the audience did not care about the tactics that Gabor was utilizing as he was their hometown fighter. Goodridge goes on to say that “A fight is hard enough as it is, at age 42…I have to fight the opponent and the referee, and then I get all the penalties too…whatever… they can take their bullshit and I’m walking out of this one…:” Goodridge is outraged in his posting and continues to say that he “felt that this was set up from the beginning. I was mad as hell at the referee’s lack of professionalism and not following fighting rules…”
Unfortunately, footage has yet to be made available for the fight but Goodridge describes the first round from his point of view in detail on his profile page.
It was the first round and we both went into ring. I gave some great kicks to Tatar, my opponent. Then I did my usual strategy of putting up my gloves to cover my face while my opponent tires out. The referee stopped the match at this point, and took points away from me for no apparent reason. There was some protest in both corners, mine and his. … Read MoreThen the match continued…
Boxing happened as per expected, and I gave some kicks and punches out, but mostly kicks as this was my winning strategy going in…Tatar held onto the ropes 20 times up to his arm pits. John Gnap told me it looked like a professional wrestling match.
I got behind my opponent and grabbed his legs to pull him off the ropes…the referee then stopped the match again and gave Tatar no penalty points. Once the match was started again, I took my opponent down to the mat. I was in control on top, and was looking for an arm bar. Just then, the referee stopped the fight again and made us stand.
Goodridge, who has always been a professional in his fourteen years of over 40 MMA fights, goes on to describe the second round events that continued to frustrate him and eventually led to his exiting the fight.
After a 2 minute break it was round 2, and we both exchanged punches. My opponent pushed me into ropes, and I snuck out many times and gave him some knees. He was grabbing onto the ropes again to escape from my attack. John Gnap later told me that he had slapped Tatar’s hands about 10 times for holding the ropes, but it took a long while before the referee stopped the match again. At this point, I was pretty ticked off.
The referee wanted to start us again by the end of round 2, but I walked out of the ring, went to the change room, took a shower, and left the venue to go back to the hotel…this is the first time I have walked out of the ring in my 14 years of fighting…
Goodridge claims in his post that popular Hungarian boxing writer, Janos Perutek, was at the fight and contacted Gary in the locker room. Perutek apparently agreed with Goodridge’s antics and said that the behavior of the referee and opponent were shameful and he apologized on behalf of his country. Perutek agreed to write up the fight as a “No Contest”. The Hungarian website http://www.monokli.com also mentions that the hefty Gabor continually clung to the ropes throughout the fight.
Attempts to contact Nemeth Gabor have so far proven to be unsuccessful.
I know this isn't big news but the first i've ever heard of a fighter doing this and its quite displeasing.
Paulson, Nelson, Morgan talk about Lesnar Victory
Brock Lesnar’s Team Breaks Down His Victory Over Randy Couture For The UFC Heavyweight Title
On November 15th, 2008 Brock Lesnar became one of only 4 Heavyweights in UFC history to win the Heavyweight Title with less than 5 professional fights. The coaches who helped him orchestrate his victory over the Legendary Captain America Randy Couture talked with PDG about Brock’s training, the fight and his future opponents. Below is what legendary trainers Marty Morgan, Greg Nelson and Erik Paulson had to say about the new UFC Heavyweight Champion.
Garcia Hit With $500 Million Lawsuit
Armando Garcia, who recently and unexpectedly resigned as the head of the California State Athletic Commission (CSAC), is the subject of a $500 million lawsuit.
CSAC Staff Services Analyst Frank Munoz and the Commission itself are also named in the lawsuit, which was filed last year by New Era fighting (NEF).
NEF is a California-based MMA promotion which claims that it was disadvantaged and harassed by "improper" CSAC practices.
The group claims it was hit with a cease and desist order by CSAC just minutes before a scheduled event in July last year, forcing it to be cancelled.
CSAC allegedly claimed NEF president Ron Kort was not a licensed promoter - despite having approved his application, issued a promoter's license, and cashed a cheque for the renewal of that licence.