The Five Rounds Debate: Fighter Safety & Casual Fan Interest
Yesterday, our own Mike Fagan posted an article reporting that the Nevada State Athletic Commission will decide on some new rules for MMA on August 17th. One of the rule changes set to be voted on by the NSAC is to increase rounds within "special events" to five rounds at the discretion of the NSAC. This will most likely be in response to a request from the promotion. The criteria for which a bout falls under the "special" criteria has yet to be mentioned by the NSAC.
Fred Ettish to Return!
Here's one for the veteran Fan. The Long-Ridiculed Cult Figure Hopes to Exercise his Cage Demons, at 53 years of Age.
Maybe they can get Keith Hackney or someone to face him.
NSAC Considering Five Round Non-Title Fights
According to MMA Junkie, the Nevada State Athletic Commission will be looking to fine tune their ruleset when they convene on August 17th. NSAC has provided a copy of the potential changes here. Among the changes, NSAC proposes to increase leniency with regards to length of bouts. Here's the text (bold indicates proposed change):
Tito Ortiz Sees the Writing on the Wall
Tito Ortiz, my man.
I have been an Ortiz fan all my life and say what you will about the Huntington Beach Bad Boy, he’s no dummy.
Ortiz is one of the most intelligent fighters in the world when it comes to business sense and it’s one of the main reasons him and Dana White butt heads so often. The two are actually a lot alike.
NSAC To Vote On Rule Changes In August
The Nevada State Athletic Commission will be looking to vote on a handful of proposed regulatory changes when it convenes for a Regulation Hearing on Aug. 19. And while a number of potential changes will be up for vote at the meeting, perhaps most interesting to MMA fans is the potential institution of limited instant replay. If the vote passes, it will be implemented immediately according to NSAC head Keith Kizer.
Dana White: UFC to hold press conference on July 31 to announce "a lot of crazy things"
The UFC is on the verge of some major announcements.
During a guest spot today on the ESPN 1100 Radiothon, a 24-hour fundraiser for The Caring Place cancer charity, UFC president Dana White said the organization will soon hold a major press conference, tentatively planned for July 31.
He referenced the media event when asked about reports of Affliction halting operations and becoming a UFC sponsor, the possibility of the UFC acquiring Affliction contracts, whether or not Fedor Emelianenko could be signed to the UFC, and whether a rumored deal with ESPN could come to fruition.
"We're working on some big things," White said without going into specifics. "It's going to be a lot of crazy things. ... There will be a laundry list of things addressed."
Affliction Officialls Cancells Trilogy
A week of misfortune turned to disaster for Affliction Entertainment on Friday, as the promotion canceled Affliction “Trilogy,” which had been scheduled for Aug. 1 at the Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif.
SI.com reported the news Friday morning, and Sherdog.com has confirmed it.
The cancellation -- which could spell the end of Affliction's year-long run as a mixed martial arts promotion -- comes on the heels of heavyweight Josh Barnett's failed drug test, which forced him out of the “Trilogy” main event against Fedor Emelianenko on Wednesday. Barnett, 32, tested positive for a banned anabolic steroid and was denied licensure by the California State Athletic Commission.
CSAC: Josh Barnett Failed First Random Drug Test in California State History
There are still many questions that have been left unanswered in the wake of Josh Barnett's positive test for an anabolic steroid, which has forced Affliction to find a new opponent for Fedor Emelianenko on August 1. FanHouse spoke to the California State Athletic Commission's assistant executive officer, Bill Douglas, Wednesday evening to find out more about this situation and what it means for Barnett's MMA future in the United States.
MMAjunkie.com Fight Biz Brief: TapouT partners with videogame "Tekken 6" for apparel line
TapouT is taking its brand into the videogame market through a new multi-year partnership with game developer Namco Bandai Games. The companies announced a new alliance today at Comic-Con 2009 in San Diego.
As part of the agreement, TapouT will design five co-branded T-shirts, which will appear as in-game customization options for characters in "Tekken 6," the latest installment of Namco's popular fighting game franchise. In addition to outfitting their "Tekken 6" fighters, players and fans will be able to wear their own Tekken 6 TapouT gear.
Legislation would create state regulations for mixed martial arts
BOSTON — Massachusetts has begun the process of opening the door to mixed martial arts, a sport that could be regulated here in time for the hosting of an Ultimate Fighting Championship event next summer.
The state Senate voted Tuesday to approve regulations for the sport. Without such regulations in place, the industry-leading UFC organization will not stage one of it shows – shows that can generate millions of dollars in tourist spending.
Mainstream Media Missing Out on a Golden Opportunity
UFC 100 provided the mainstream media and other writers with a lot of fuel to bash the sport we so dearly enjoy every weekend. Specifically, Brock Lesnar's post-fight antics have garnered interest in a negative way from many sports outlets that simply don't understand the sport. I'm also inclined to believe their business doesn't understand that MMA is going to continue to grow, and those outlets aren't appealing to more readers by bashing it.
Mike Brown vs Jose Aldo at WEC 44 on Nov. 11 (source)
Jose Aldo’s long-dreamed-of shot at the WEC featherweight crown has come. As discovered by GRACIEMAG.com, the Brazilian fighter will face Featherweight champion Mike Brown on November 11.
“I found out the news yesterday, when I came to the gym to train. Dede [Andre Pederneiras] told me and I signed the contract. Now I’m just waiting for the day to get here,” said and excited Jose Aldo, exclusively to GRACIEMAG.com.
The Nova Uniao black belt made it clear, however, that despite the good news, he will remain concentrated and focused solely on the challenge at hand. “I’m only going to feel fulfilled when I conquer the belt, we have to work hard and consistently, since I still have another rung to climb,” stated the fighter.
“Mike Brown is a great athlete and he’s becoming more and more well-rounded as time goes by. He came over from wrestling and is really good at the style. His ground game has come a long ways. We’ll se. Now I’m going to travel with Marlon Sandro, my teammate, for the Sengoku final, August 2, and later when I return I’ll focus on training real hard and coming up with a good strategy,” he said.
With 15 wins and only one loss in professional MMA, Aldo has had a successful campaign in the WEC, winning all five fights in the organization by knockout, three in the very first round.
Mike Brown is undefeated since 2005, having won all four of his appearances in the WEC. His latest victim is former champion Urijah Faber, who he beat by unanimous decision in June of this year.