XFC 21 set for Dec. 7 with Eric Reynolds vs. Nick Newell title fight
A fight between Eric Reynolds (16-5) and Nick Newell (8-0) for a vacant lightweight title will serve as the headliner of Xtreme Fighting Championships' next event.
"XFC 21: Night of Champions" takes place Dec. 7 at Nashville Municipal Auditorium in Tennessee.
The six-fight main card, including a Ryan Thomas (14-7) vs. Corey Hill (6-4) welterweight co-headliner, airs on AXS TV.
“All aboard the UFC Injury Train” an Unofficial record of MMA Fighter Injury
Last year, one of our members (MMA Opinions), Adam Boucher began keeping a tally of the injuries in the UFC. He affectionately called it the “UFC Injury Train”. Whenever a fighter suffered an unfortunate mishap, he’d make a post and call everyone by saying “All aboard the UFC Injury Train”. I was wondering how far he’d gotten since tracking these incidents around UFC 143, and here’s where we stand:
How a Renzo Gracie Student Grew Up to Be the Newest Big Bad on Sons of Anarchy
Sons of Anarchy actor Harold Perrineau and the world of mixed martial arts go back a long, long way.
Years before Perrineau made it on hit TV shows like the FX outlaw biker drama, or his turn as Michael Dawson on the ABC series ‘Lost’, he was a dancer making his way through musicals after growing up in Brooklyn.
It was through that medium that he first discovered martial arts.
“Many, many years ago I studied Kung-Fu. I used to be a dancer and then an easy transition for me was studying martial arts, and I studied Kung-Fu. I kind of liked the fluidity of it. Then back in the day I started reading magazines about this MMA thing and I was like what’s that?” Perrineau told MMAWeekly Radio in a recent interview.
“I would read like Inside Kung-Fu and all these other things and it just started growing and growing and growing. Then the first UFC came on with Royce Gracie, and I was like ‘oh snap what’s that?’ so while I didn’t follow all the UFC’s, I certainly did watch the first couple of years.”
While he wasn’t following along with every UFC event that happened, he did manage to mix in some training along the way that included a stop at Renzo Gracie‘s academy in New York City. Once Perrineau moved to Los Angeles to further pursue his acting career, his ties to the Gracie family didn’t stop however.
Perrineau began working with Renzo Gracie black belt Shawn Williams, who was at the time only the fifth American to receive a black belt from the famous trainer and instructor.
“I trained over at Renzo Gracie’s school for a little while in New York City doing jiu-jitsu. He is great and I started training with one of his first black belts, Shawn Williams, here in Los Angeles until I messed up my knee and I couldn’t keep doing it,” Perrineau stated.
What Does the Future Hold for MMA in Japan?
With reports by AsainMMA.com saying that Japanese MMA promotion Dream’s parent company, Real Entertainment, has closed up shop, major MMA in Japan is at a crossroads right now.
Speaking to MMAWeekly.com, AXS TV’s Hans Thompson said of Real Entertainment’s closing, “I don’t have exact numbers on how many staff, but they essentially haven’t had a staff for much of this year aside from a handful of individuals.”
Thompson believes that Real Entertainment had kept Dream on life support as to not lose booking rights for one of Japan’s premier areas on one of its biggest entertainment days...
Anthony Johnson scores head-kick TKO of Jake Rosholt at XFN 9
A regional-show super fight in his former home state ended badly for Jake Rosholt, a former Oklahoma State University national-champion wrestler whom Anthony Johnson knocked out at Friday's Xtreme Fight League 9 event at Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Tulsa.
Johnson, who's now 3-0 since his UFC release earlier this year, used a second-round head kick to secure the win.
The fight, which streamed online as part of a card with boxing and kickboxing bouts, was the former welterweight's second straight win since a move up 205 pounds.
Mike Ciesnolevicz signs multi-fight deal with World Series of Fighting
Two-time UFC veteran Mike Ciesnolevicz (19-4) is the latest addition to the World Series of Fighting roster.
Officials from Ciesnolevicz's management team, Apex Sports Agency, today announced the signing.
"Mike's had some injury problems, but he has finally been able to have the shoulder surgery he needed and is looking forward to returning to the cage in dominating fashion," Apex Sports Agency CEO Jason Chambers stated. "The World Series of Fighting is a great place for him to show that he has been overlooked for too long and that he is a threat to be taken very seriously."
Ciesnolevicz hasn't fought since a May 2011 win over Bruce Nelson under Canada's Prestige MMA banner. Dating back to 2008, Ciesnolevicz is 6-1 in his past seven fights – a run that includes a 1-1 mark in the UFC. Despite the .500 record in the octagon, Ciesnolevicz was released from the UFC after missing weight for a June 2009 bout with Tomasz Drwal and then suffering a TKO loss.
Strikeforce Veteran Lyle Beerbohm Signs With World Series Of Fighting
The upstart promotion World Series of Fighting continues to add to their roster as they prepare for the curtain raising card on November 3rd. Having won his last 4 fights, 3 by way of submission, former Strikeforce lightweight Lyle Beerbohm signed with WSOF. MMA Junkie has the details:
After a two-fight skid in Strikeforce, Lyle Beerbohm has gone on a 4-0 run in 2012 that now has him a deal with the World Series of Fighting.
Beerbohm (19-2) has signed a multi-fight deal with the new promotion and is expected to have his first bout announced soon. Beerbohm's management team recently announced the signing.
New Jersey trainer pleads guilty to falsifying pre-fight medical paperwork
A New Jersey-based trainer pleaded guilty today to falsifying medical paperwork so his fighters could fight without undergoing pre-bout physicals.
The state attorney general office will recommend 49-year-old Mahwah, N.J. resident Philip Dunlap be sentenced to probation, 200 hours of community service and a $5,000 fine.
"The sport is criticized enough, and young enough where it's still trying to grow," New Jersey State Athletic Control Board legal counsel Nick Lembo today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "We don't need somebody getting hurt ... off of fake medicals."
Dunlap, who trains fighters out of Advanced Fighting Systems in Mahwah, agreed to a plea deal in connection with a third-degree felony charge of tampering with public records or information. He is scheduled to be sentenced on Oct. 26.
Sarah Kaufman scratches from Invicta FC 3, Kaitlin Young now rematches Leslie Smith
Former Strikeforce champion Sarah Kaufman (15-2) has pulled out of next month's Invicta 3 event due to an injury, officials today announced.
Her opponent, Kaitlin Young (7-6-1), now will rematch fellow bantamweight Leslie Smith (3-2-1) instead. Additionally, Smith's original opponent, Kim Connor-Hamby, now will meet late replacement Raquel Pennington (3-1).
Both bouts are part of the night's main card.
Invicta FC 3, the latest offering from the all-female promotion, takes place Oct. 6 in Kansas City, Kan., and the event is expected to stream online for free.
People Who Complain About What Happened to UFC 153 Need to Understand the Big Picture
So after Wednesday, after UFC was dealt a hand of lemons the day before when the top two matches at UFC 153 fell apart within hours of each other, and came out of it with lemonade, I woke up to some surprising news.
After being blamed by many for his inability to save UFC 151, when he not only saved UFC 153, but made it more attractive to the majority of his consumers, Dana White was wrong again.
I'm not exactly sure what he was wrong about. Sure, if you asked me the 100 fights I would most be looking forward to seeing this year, Anderson Silva vs. Stephan Bonnar wouldn't be in the top 20.
And I was genuinely looking forward to Jose Aldo vs. Frankie Edgar, the previous main event, more than all but two fights for the rest of this year. To me, it had significance, because it means something, and may even be the most important fight, in determining who the best lighter weight fighter in the sport is. But there's another thing more important, that a lot of hardcore fans who would agree with these views are missing. If UFC markets to us, they would be playing in 2,000-seat casino halls, selling almost no tickets to the public, airing on ESPN2 with a $40,000 budget for the entire show, and nobody would know who the fighters are, except people like us...
Tyson Nam Willing To Re-Sign With Bellator At The Right Price
Despite the tension between Bellator and Tyson Nam (12-4), he is open to the idea of fighting for them if the offer is right as he's been talking with several MMA companies as of late.
"I can say there are pretty big promotions if not some of the most recognized promotions in the world," said Nam on The MMA Hour. "If [Bellator] bring something to the table that's actually matching these other offers that I'm getting, sure, why not."
Gerald Harris tapped to meet Josh Burkman, Bobby Lashley targeted for WSOF 1
There's another big show in Las Vegas, but for Ray Sefo and the World Series of Fighting, Sin City is home.
"We have a lot of great fighters that aren't in other organizations, so we figured that we good bring something good," Sefo today told MMAjunkie.com. "Our goal is to look after fighters and fans first."
The World Series of Fighting president today announced that his fledging promotion has struck a one-year deal with NBC Sports Network and hopes to put eight to 10 events on the channel in that time.
'Strikeforce: Cormier vs. Mir' official for Nov. 3 in Oklahoma City; tickets on sale next week
Strikeforce's November visit to Oklahoma now is official, and tickets for the event go on sale next week.
As first reported by USA TODAY and MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com), heavyweight Daniel Cormier (10-0 MMA, 7-0 SF) puts his unbeaten record on the line against former UFC champion Frank Mir (16-6 MMA, 14-6 UFC) in the main event. And middleweight champ Luke Rockhold (10-1 MMA, 9-0 SF) will defend his belt against Lorenz Larkin (13-0 MMA, 4-0 SF) in the co-main event.
Andrei Arlovski Didn't Mind The No Contest Since He Got To Soccer Kick Tim Sylvia
Former UFC Heavyweight champ Andrei Arlovski was clearly on his way to beating rival Tim Sylvia in their fourth bout at One FC 5 last Friday but some confusion about the legality of kicks to a downed opponent cause the fight to be ruled a No Contest.
Arlovski's not upset though as he explained to AXS TV's Inside MMA (transcribed by MMA Mania):
"About my fight with Tim Sylvia, it was ruled a 'No Contest,' but, to be honest with you, I don't really care. For some reason, when the referee raised his arm up, it's like he gave me a signal to kick him. Even if he didn't raise his arm up, I would have done it anyway, because Tim said, before the fight, that he was gonna kick me if he had the opportunity. It's exactly what I told Travis Browne and Greg Jackson. I told them this, and I don't really care if they disqualify me or not. If I have an opportunity for a soccer kick, I'm going to do it, and I did.
Former MMA Fighter And Instructor Wyatt Lewis Fatally Stabbed In Calgary
A well-known Alberta man named Wyatt Lewis, who had competed in organizations like the MFC and Rumble In The Cage, was fatally stabbed while trying to protect a friend over the weekend in Calgary. Lewis, an instructor at Progressive Fighting Academy in Lethbridge, was in his mid-30's and leaves behind a wife and three children. The Calgary Herald has the sad story:
Police were called to the 1000 block of 16th Avenue N.W. around 3 a.m. Saturday and found two men with stab wounds. Both were taken to hospital but one was declared dead on arrival.
Wall said he talked to one of the two other people Lewis was with when the incident happened.
He's been told one guy was hit over the head with a bottle and knocked unconscious. Lewis stepped in to help but was fatally stabbed.
Olympic Gold Medalist Kayla Harrison Signs with MMA Management, but Focused on 2016 Games
Harrison has become part of the Dominance MMA family, led by former Olympic judoka Ali Abdel-Aziz, where she joins former UFC lightweight champion Frankie Edgar, Rolles Gracie and family and team leader Renzo Gracie. Abdel-Aziz will manage Harrison along with her Judo coach and longtime friend Jimmy Pedro.
The plan for now is for Harrison to focus on her training for the 2016 games in Rio de Janeiro, but she will start working on her Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu game by training at Renzo Gracie‘s academy in New York City.
In an interview with MMAWeekly.com content partner Bleacher Report in July, Harrison discussed her potential move into MMA following along with former teammate Ronda Rousey.
“Not sure as of right now. I never say never but I don’t know if the MMA world is ready for me! I’m a bit bigger than Ronda, and I’m not quite as flashy. I’m also not an entertainer. I do the sport because I love it, not for money or fame. So to make the transition into MMA would be a big one for me,” said Harrison.
Spike TV, K-1 agree to multi-platform broadcast deal
Bellator Fighting Championships won't be the only combat-sports organization broadcasting their 2013 events on Spike TV.
Spike TV officials today announced a multi-platform broadcast deal with leading kickboxing promotion K-1 that sees four 2012 events stream on Spike.com and a series of 2013 events broadcast on Spike TV.
"We are thrilled to be in business with the world's preeminent kickboxing organization," Spike TV Senior Vice President of Sports and Multi-platform Events Jon Slusser stated. "Spike has the most passionate and knowledgeable fans of combat sports, and we are confident that they will enjoy the high-octane action of K-1, which serves as the perfect complement to our Bellator coverage next year."
New York Court Dismisses Part of Zuffa Lawsuit on Constitutionality of MMA Ban
In a ruling made earlier this week, United States District Judge Kimba M. Wood granted a motion to dismiss two counts that challenged the constitutionality of the law that prohibited mixed martial arts in New York back in 1997.
The lawsuit was originally filed by UFC parent company Zuffa last November.
The ruling, however, does not dismiss the entire suit, but only two of the seven counts made by Zuffa. Namely, the Equal Protection and Due Process clauses.
In making her ruling, Judge Wood found that the law had a rational basis when it was originally passed, and that even with past safety concerns addressed, the law is still rational today.