Asian MMA: Shlemenko Vs. Minowaman Along With 4 UFC Veterans Booked For SFL 2
Super Fight League, a start-up promotion from India had a very unique and interesting debut event that got mixed reviews from fans and analysts alike. The production, and quality of talent left much to be desired, but it looks like they're taking a big step forward to improve on that by booking 3 fights filled established MMA veterans.
The card will still be filled with India's local talent that they are developing, but as reported last month, former UFC heavyweights Todd Duffee and Neil Grove will be headlining the event. As part of the supporting bouts that have also been announced, Paul Kelly will take on Gabe Reudiger, and what can be considered as the unofficial main event of the night, Ikuhisa Minowa will lock horns against two-time Bellator tournament winner, Alexander Shlemenko.
Now a Free Agent, Vinny Magalhaes Fielding Offers
Former TUF season 8 runner-up and current M-1 Global Light Heavyweight champion Vinny Magalhaes was dismissed from the UFC before he could prove that he had great potential. The multiple World Jiu Jitsu Champion and ADCC gold medalist has gone 7-1 since his departure from the UFC and acquired the M-1 Global light heavyweight title in his 4 fight run with the Russian organization. Unfortunately the honeymoon with M-1 Global has ended and Magalhaes has been attempting to wait out his employers, so he can get out of his contract, and continue his career under a new banner.
Magalhaes and his representative Steve Pacitti stopped by to talk to the guys at MMAJunkie.com, to shed a little light on Vinny’s current situation, his falling out with M-1 Global, and how he is fielding offers from other MMA organizations, due to his recently awarded free agency. Magalhaes and Pacitti did not tip-toe around the point that the UFC were one of the organizations that were interested in signing Vinny. Pacitti was quoted as saying. “Yes, we’re negotiating with the UFC right now,” Pacitti said. “There are others, but the UFC is certainly in line. The UFC is definitely attractive.”
Jay Silva Offered Fight Against Anthony ‘Rumble’ Johnson; Still Not a Done Deal
Anthony ‘Rumble’ Johnson will make his first appearance since leaving the UFC at Titan Fighting 22 on May 25, but securing an opponent thus far has been no easy task.
Johnson will debut for the Kansas City based promotion after a loss to Vitor Belfort in January in Brazil.
“I’m back, and I’m fighting May 25 with Titan Fighting Championship, and I couldn’t be more thrilled to headline this event for all the fans in Kansas City and watching that night live on HDNet,” said Johnson. “I am so pumped to be fighting again, and I’m ready to take on whatever 185 pounder they put in front of me.”
John Alessio Admits To Past PED Usage, Against Them Now
In a surprising and refreshing move, an MMA fighter has been open and honest about his past performance-enhancing drug usage. John Alessio, a Canadian fighter that has competed all over the map and once challenged Pat Miletich for the UFC welterweight title, was a guest on Sherdog's Beatdown Radio and opened up about his usage in the past:
Wyoming becomes state No. 46 to regulate MMA
Wyoming is getting in the business of regulated MMA.
Governor Matt Mead recently signed into law House Bill 87, which calls for the creation of an MMA board to oversee and regulate the sport.
Although the country's least populous U.S. state, Wyoming is now the 46th to regulate MMA.
Only three state athletic commissions (in New York, Connecticut and Vermont) currently don't regulate MMA, and one (Alaska) lacks a regulatory body to do so. Wyoming joins other recent adopters, including West Virginia, Wisconsin and Alabama.
Wyoming officially joined the list this past Thursday, March 8.
With New York legalization again on table, MMA group hosts Tuesday rally
Less than a mile away from a presser put on by the UFC's well-oiled publicity machine, a grassroots organization continues to advocate for MMA in the Big Apple.
On Tuesday, the Coalition to Legalize Mixed Martial Arts in New York holds a rally in front of governor Andrew Cuomo's Manhattan office to raise awareness and voice support for bringing MMA to the Empire State.
Additionally, an MMA documentary film festival is scheduled to take place at The Theater Lobby at Madison Square Garden.
The governor's office is located at 633 Third Avenue in New York City. The two-hour rally begins at 11:30 a.m. ET, and the film festival begins at 4 p.m.
Scheduled to appear at the rally is Michael Benjamin, a former New York State assemblyman who co-sponsored a 2011 MMA bill that's been resubmitted for the 2012 legislative session. The bill currently sits in the assembly's Tourism, Parks, Arts and Sports Development committee.
Afterward, an open mic will feature business owners and members of the MMA community. Longtime MMA journalist Jim Genia, author of "Raw Combat: The Underground World of Mixed Martial Arts," is also expected to speak...
Report: Stabbed Bellator heavyweight Blagoi Ivanov in stable condition after regaining consciousness
As a mixed martial artist, Blagoi Ivanov knows how to put up a good fight.
The Bellator heavyweight, who was clinging to life after suffering a severe stab wound late last month, is reportedly in stable condition following emergency surgery, having regained consciousness over the weekend.
The Bulgarian English-speaking news site Novinite has the report:
Ivanov is now in a stable condition and is under a milder treatment regimen, doctors have told the BGNES news agency. The fighter's main problem is with one of his lungs and not with his heart, according to the experts that treat him.
'Kimbo Slice' to host Spike TV's 'The Ultimate Fighter Fridays' debut on March 9
Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson – the star of the highest-rated season of "The Ultimate Fighter" in the show's history – is making a return to the reality series. Sort of.
Ferguson will host Spike TV's debut of "The Ultimate Fighter Fridays" on March 9 at 9 p.m. ET/PT.
The weekly three-hour specials counter-program new episodes of "The Ultimate Fighter 15," which also debuts March 9 – on FX, the series' new broadcast home.
Siyar Bahadurzada leaves Golden Glory, cites 'trust issues' for departure
Unhappy with his longtime management company and MMA team, Siyar Bahadurzada (20-4-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC) is leaving Golden Glory.
In a brief interview today with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com), the UFC welterweight cited pay and contract issues for his decision.
"They didn't pay me my money for the Glory World Series that I fought in May 2011, and they're keeping me in the dark about my contract and extended the contract for another five years," Bahadurzada said.
Bahadurzada's move comes two months prior to his UFC debut, which comes at UFC on FUEL TV 2. The former Shooto and Sengoku champion is slated to face Paulo Thiago (14-3 MMA, 4-3 UFC) on the main card of the event, which takes place April 14 at Ericsson Globe Arena in Stockholm, Sweden. (Main-card fights air on FUEL TV while preliminary-card fights stream on Facebook.)
Representatives for Golden Glory could not be reached for comment.
Bellator Heavyweight Blagoi Ivanov Stabbed In Bulgaria, Fighting For His Life
Bellator heavyweight Blagoi Ivanov was stabbed in the chest in a pub in Sofia, Bulgaria early Sunday morning and despite successful surgery, things are still very dicey for the Combat Sambo world champion. The Sofia News Agency passed along the unfortunate news today:
Bulgarian MMA fighter Blagoi Ivanov, who was stabbed early Sunday morning in a pub brawl in Sofia, is still fighting for his life, announced doctors.
Ivanov has sustained a deep knife wound in his chest that reached to his heard and is currently under artificial respiration at the intensive care unit of Pirogov Hospital in Sofia.
Surgeons have carried out a life-saving operation on their patient, but say his life is still under a real threat.
Sunday night Ivanov and two of his friends had just occupied their places in a bar on Graf Ignatiev Str., when a group of 8 persons armed with bats and knives came in and attacked them.
At 5.10 am police came in to find the attackers escaped and Ivanov with a deep stab wound under his armpit.
Legacy Fighting 10 shakeup: Linderman misses weight, Harris-Davila now co-headliner
Former heavyweight D.J. Linderman (10-2) apparently rushed his move to middleweight too quickly.
The Bellator vet and 185-pound hopeful came in 10 pounds over weight for his Legacy Fighting Championships 10 headliner, and original opponent Gerald Harris (19-4) now will fight Eric Davila (20-11) in the co-headliner on Friday.
Legacy promoter Mick Maynard today confirmed the card's shakeup with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).
Davila, in fact, was slated to fight Mike Bronzoulis (13-4-1) in a welterweight co-headliner at the event. But Davila weighed 184 pounds for the fight, so he actually proved a better fit for Harris. So despite his opponent missing weight, Bronzoulis has been scratched from the card.
Spike’s New MMA Uncensored Live Debuts Thursday Night
Spike TV debuts its new mixed martial arts magazine show on Thursday night at 11 p.m. ET/PT. The first episode of MMA Uncensored Live features UFC fighter Dan Henderson as the show’s first guest and takes an inside look at the downfall of Pride Fighting Championships in Japan.
The recently re-named MMA Uncensored Live features radio personality Craig Carton as host with middleweight fighter Nate Quarry and mixed martial arts veteran journalist Mike Straka as fight experts. Each 30-minute episode will be broadcast each week from the MTV Studios in Times Square in New York.
Nate Quarry talks MMA Uncensored Live and the next stage of his career (MMAmania exclusive)
Nate Quarry has seen and participated in a tremendous amount of mixed martial arts history throughout his nearly 10 year professional career.
A cast member of the inaugural season of The Ultimate Fighter (TUF), he was the first participant to actually earn a title shot, although he lost to Rich Franklin back at UFC 56.
He had 10 total fights in the UFC, holding a 7-3 record in the promotion, but at 39 years old and realizing that time was no longer on his side, he's decided it's time to move on and take the next logical step.
Tomorrow night, "The Rock" will be making his debut as an analyst on Spike TV' s mixed martial arts news show MMA Uncensored Live alongside Mike Straka and Craig Carton.
The middleweight veteran spoke with MMAmania.com about his upcoming role in the show, what will help set them apart from everyone else and what fans can expect in this exclusive interview.
Check it out:
Ex-champ Marloes Coenen vs. Romy Ruyssen headlines all-female Invicta 1 card
Former Strikeforce champion Marloes Coenen (19-5) and fellow 145-pounder Romy Ruyssen (5-1) will meet in the headliner of the debut Invicta Fighting Championships event.
The all-female card takes place April 28 at Memorial Hall in Kansas City, Kan.
Former UFC, Strikeforce and IFL talent-relations executive Shannon Knapp serves as the upstart organization's vice president and co-founder.
Coenen fights for the first time since losing her Strikeforce 135-pound title to Miesha Tate in July, when she surprisingly was cut from the promotion. The Dutch submission specialist now meets French fighter Romy Ruyssen (5-1), who looks for her fifth straight win (and sixth submission victory in six wins).
Currently, no broadcast or streaming plans have been announced, but tickets go on sale Friday and start at just $35.
Jorge Santiago Hoping To Re-Join The UFC With A Good Showing In 2012
Former Sengoku middleweight champ, and UFC vet, Jorge ‘Sandman’ Santiago (23-10) calls 2011 a “nightmare” having lost both of his Octagon appearances, a TKO loss to Brian Stann at UFC 130 and a decision defeat at the hands of Demian Maia at UFC 136.
After his release by the top promotion, Santiago signed a multi-fight deal with the Titan Fighting Championship promotion and is set to debut on March 2nd versus fellow Brazilian Leonardo Pecanha.
Speaking to Tatame.com, Santiago talks about his “nightmare” year and his hopes to return to the Octagon by stringing together a few good wins in 2012.
NY MMA bill clears Senate committee
The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) today applauded the Senate’s Committee on Cultural Affairs, Tourism, Parks and Recreation for approving S.1707A, which would authorize the New York State Athletic Commission to add Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) to the list of contact sports that may hold matches and exhibitions in New York, and sending the bill to the Committee on Commerce, Economic Development and Small Business for consideration.
"New York is one of only three states that does not allow professional MMA events to take place within its borders,” UFC Chairman & CEO Lorenzo Fertitta said. “It’s unfair to the millions of UFC fans in New York who want to see matches in person without having to travel out of state, and we hope this is the first step in legalizing MMA in New York in 2012. Mixed Martial Arts is the fastest growing sport in history – both in fans and in participants. There are literally hundreds of MMA schools and training facilities in New York, and the UFC has contributed to economic development and job creation in scores of communities around the country and across the world.”
Gary Goodridge Diagnosed with CTE/Pugilistic Dementia
Former UFC, Pride and K-1 star Gary Goodridge has a new battle on his hands, but just like his fights in the cage or ring, he won’t go down without swinging.
Goodridge recently visited a top neuro-physician in Canada where he was diagnosed with early onset CTE/pugilistic dementia.
CTE (chronic traumatic encephalopathy) by definition is brain damage caused by repeated head trauma, resulting in degeneration of brain tissue. It’s commonly found in boxers, football players, ice hockey players and other athletes who have suffered repeated traumatic shock to the head.