Massachusetts commission reviews controversial bout, will discuss rule changes
The Massachusetts State Athletic Commission said it will look into modifying its rules following a controversial amateur bout that took place in April.
"The commission agreed it deserves careful examination," Terrel Harris, a spokesperson for the MSAC, on Friday wrote in an email to MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).
At a meeting planned for October, the commission's medical advisory board is expected to offer an opinion on whether a "per se rule" is needed to immediately end matches in which a fighter loses consciousness from a submission hold.
A per se rule is defined as a generalized rule applied without consideration for specific circumstances.
The commission addressed the amateur fight during a meeting on Thursday and decided that further review was necessary.
The bout at the center of the debate took place April 20 at a commission-sanctioned event held in Chicopee, Mass., called "Warrior Nation Xtreme Fighters Alliance: Warrior Nation III." The bantamweight contest took a bizarre turn after one combatant, Justin Kristie, applied a triangle choke that caused his opponent, David Baxter, to perform what appeared to be a tapping motion and then go unconscious at the end of the first round...
Nam Phan Fires Back at Steven Seagal
If Steven Seagal watches TV on Aug. 4, he just might find out who Nam Phan is.
On a recent edition of The MMA Hour, Seagal heard about critical remarks from Phan, who will fight Cole Miller on the Fuel TV portion of the UFC on FOX card at the Staples Center in Los Angeles.
"Never heard of him," Seagal told MMAFighting.com's Ariel Helwani. "Nam Fran? Is he an American guy? I don't know who this guy is and I don't really care."
On Monday's MMA Hour, the Vietnamese-American fighter who already has made a name for himself with MMA fans had a reply for the past-his-prime actor.
"You know what, I'm not the most famous fighter," Phan said. "But, whatever, I still think he's a douche."
IMMAF representatives take part in International Olympic Committee seminars
MMA is still years away from serious consideration as an Olympic sport, but the recently formed IMMAF is already beginning to make its presence known with the International Olympic Committee.
IMMAF officials today took part in the first of several planned seminars aimed at studying martial arts and sports not currently included in the Olympics, and the group hopes to educate IOC officials during the meetings.
"We are very grateful for this opportunity to promote MMA in front of the IOC and other fellow sports federations," IMMAF official Erika Mattsson told MMAjunkie.com.
Anthony Johnson Vs. Jake Rosholt Scheduled For Xtreme Fight Night 8
No, you aren't reading that headline incorrectly. Anthony Johnson, who just had his fight confirmed with Esteves Jones for Titan Fighting Championships earlier this week, has another fight booked for September. The former UFC welterweight will take on former WEC and UFC middleweight Jake Rosholt in Tulsa, Oklahoma. MMA Fighting's Ariel Helwani broke the story:
Just days after it was announced that the former UFC welterweight would make his light heavyweight debut at Titan 24 on Aug. 24 versus Esteves Jones, Xtreme Fight Night, an Oklahoma-based promotion, announced on Friday that "Rumble" would meet Jake Rosholt at XFN 8 on Sept. 21 in Tulsa, OK.
The Association Of Boxing Commissions Makes Significant Changes To The Unified Rules Of MMA
Last year, BE's Dallas Winston covered the annual Association of Boxing Commission (ABC) annual conference. For MMA fans, the most impactful ruling to come out of the 2011 conference was the trial period for Doc Hamilton's proposed Half-Point Scoring System from the 2010 meetings. This year, however, the ABC has made several decisions with direct effects on mixed martial arts.
First, the death of the half-point system. After the year-long, voluntary evaluation period granted to the half-point system, the ABC concluded that the system had negligible impact on scoring the outcome of an MMA bout...
Bruce Lee claimed as 'father' of Mixed Martial Arts
Of all the credits attached to the name Bruce Lee, one of the bolder claims made in the documentary I Am Bruce Lee, is that he was the de facto father of Mixed Martial Arts
What do you guys think?
could also be considered to be a father of MMA.
I personally don't think there is any one 'father' of MMA. Nor does there need to be, MMA is a culmination of a "fighting" effort by mankind
ABC demurs on half-point system in pilot program, scoring criteria modified
A committee formed to assess the effectiveness of a half-point MMA scoring system has recommended the Association of Boxing Commissions stick with the current 10-point must system.
In a report obtained today by MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com), the committee found that the half-point system would have a minimal effect on scoring and recommended further training and vetting of judges with the current system.
"We thought putting in a more complicated system would hurt more fights than would help," said Jeff Mullen, who chaired the ABC's committee on half-points.
The committee, which was formed in 2010, hoped recent revisions in scoring criteria would "help aid the judges in making more accurate scores."
The findings were not glowing.
Andy Foster, secretary of the Georgia Athletic and Entertainment Commission, stated there were no changes to scores using the half-point system and "did not do a thing to affect judging."
Colorado State Boxing Commission Director Josef Mason found the half-point system scores helpful in training judges, but believed it ultimately would cause more draws.
The Edmonton Alberta Athletic Commission found that 4.85 percent of fight results were changed in which the half-point system replaced the 10-point must. It recommended commissions use the system if they desired, but cautioned that it was unsuitable for inexperienced judges – although a poll of fighters revealed overwhelming support for half-points.
And the California Amateur Mixed Martial Arts Organization (CAMO), which regulates amateur MMA competitions in lieu of the California State Athletic Commission, found just 2 percent of its decisions changed in 389 bouts comparing the systems.
Former WWE star Dave Bautista slated for Oct. 6 MMA debut
Former WWE star and longtime MMA enthusiast Dave Bautista is slated for his pro-fighting debut on Oct. 6.
The 43-year-old, perhaps best known as "Batista" during a WWE title reign, will fight New York-based heavyweight Rashid Evans (1-2 as an amateur) at a CES MMA event at Dunkin' Donuts Center in Providence, R.I., TMZ today reported.
Back in 2010, Bautista told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) he was in talks with Strikeforce about a possible deal. Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker confirmed negotiations, but a deal was never inked.
The CES MMA event will be televised in some form, according to today's report.
Ronda Rousey Nude On Cover Of ESPN The Magazine's Body Issue
Strikeforce women's champion Ronda Rousey is featured on the cover of ESPN The Magazine's "Body Issue" which hits newsstands July 13th. Rousey is one of 27 athletes featured in the magazine's online photo gallery which is online now.
Previous MMA fighters featured in the issue include UFC Light Heavyweight champ Jon Jones, Gina Carano, and Evangelista "Cyborg" Santos and his wife Cristiane "Cyrborg" Santos.
Dwayne Lewis Retires
The longest-serving fighter, and unquestionably one of the biggest fan favorites, in the Maximum Fighting Championship has decided to hang up his gloves for good.
Former light-heavyweight title challenger and 15-time MFC competitor Dwayne “D-Bomb” Lewis recently announced his retirement on his Facebook page. The announcement comes not as a major surprise as injuries have taken their toll on the family man over the past couple of years. Lewis had hoped to fight on the MFC 33 card back in May but hand issues forced that fight to the backburner. Although he had considered taking a run at the MFC 35 event coming up in October, Lewis opted to say goodbye instead.
“Finally making it official … I’m done fighting,” Lewis wrote. “I’ve had a blast. For five years I tried my best to put in as much time as I could to be able to compete. It’s just been too busy of a schedule for me to keep up with and compete with guys who train and fight full-time.
“I’ve met some great people and made some great friends. I’ve won fights that I shouldn’t have won and I’ve definitely lost fights I shouldn’t have lost but they have all been memories I will cherish. Walking away with a 14-8 record, 9 KOs, a 7-fight win streak and a ton of memories! Thanks to everyone who had supported me.”
Following win, flyweight Louis Gaudinot waiting for the UFC's call
There's no longer a question of how well flyweights fight into the UFC.
The answer? Pretty darn well.
It's only natural, then, for one of them, Louis Gaudinot (6-2 MMA, 1-1 UFC), to wonder why his phone isn't ringing at the moment. Still unbooked after his first octagon win at UFC on FOX 3, he wants a fight.
"I fought two months ago, and I still done have an opponent lined up," he today told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio). "I want to get back in there."
Gaudinot fought at flyweight before bulking up to bantamweight for a stint on "The Ultimate Fighter 14." At the conclusion of the show, he dropped back to 125 pounds and earned a first-round submission win over John Lineker, which won him a $65,000 "Fight of the Night" at UFC on FX 3.
His next step, however, is unknown.
Virgil Zwicker Pulled Himself Together, Now Relays a Message of Inspiration
Virgil Zwicker was once a man walking his own path of destruction.
The Strikeforce fighter spent as much time in trouble as a youth as he did in school, bouncing in and out of jail for much of his life growing up on an Indian reservation in California.
But Zwicker was able to pick himself up, dust himself off and not only pick up the pieces of what was quickly becoming a broken life, but he was able to put it all back together again.
Now with a growing family of his own, Zwicker’s tale is one that could be simply told for inspiration, but that’s not good enough for the 30-year-old mixed martial artist who now wants to serve as an example of somebody who grew up wrong, but made things right.
While Zwicker has been working as a youth coordinator at his Indian reservation, recently he got the opportunity to speak in front of a group of young people that could truly relate to everything he had gone through.
At the Alamansor Academy in California, kids routinely join the program due to similar upbringings as Zwicker and seemingly walking down the same destructive path. The school’s job is to help lead them back in the right direction and at their recent graduation they invited Zwicker to come be the keynote speaker.
“When I first looked them up and checked them out I thought it was going to be strictly troubled youths, gangs, kids being locked up, but I would say probably only 20 to 30 percent of the kids were like that. The rest of them, there was a lot that had physical disabilities, autism, and a lot of them were not in trouble or anything. They basically told me that 90 percent of those kids are the worst of the worst in that area,” Zwicker told MMAWeekly.com.
Leandro Issa Happy to Welcome Bibiano Fernandes to One FC
Leandro Issa shocked many in the MMA world when he was able to defeat leg-lock master Masakazu Imanari at One FC’s latest show, so he might try to do the same in his next fight.
Issa is now riding a seven-fight win streak and may have his eyes set on another tough challenge as the fighter to welcome former Dream champion Bibiano Fernandes to the One FC arena.
RFA 3 results recap: Dakota Cochrane defeats Joe Stevenson with round two rear-naked choke
Resurrection Fighting Alliance invaded the Viaero Events Center in Kearney Nebraska, with a fight card that included some former big names, as well as some up-and-comers, as RFA 3 took place on Sat., June 30, 2012.
It was somewhat of a star-studded affair, as Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Light Heavyweight Champion Jon Jones was in attendance, and even joined the boys in the booth for a few minutes. Also, fellow light heavyweight Stephan Bonnar and former UFC heavyweight Justin McCully were onhand to call the fights.
The main event featured former UFC lightweight contender Joe Stevenson taking on former Ultimate Fighter (TUF) contestant, Dakota Cochrane.
Cung Le Talks VADA and Random Drug Tests in MMA
It was recently revealed via Twitter that former UFC champion B.J. Penn had been approached by VADA (Volunteer Anti-Doping Agency) about submitting to drug testing along with his opponent Rory MacDonald ahead of UFC 152.
Penn has long been a very outspoken advocate against the use of performance enhancing drugs, and volunteered when asked by VADA to submit to the testing.
A few moments later, MacDonald responded to Penn’s request and accepted as well.
While Penn and MacDonald’s enthusiasm around the drug tests should be commended, they weren’t the first people in the UFC to be approached by VADA.
Rejuvenated UFC vet Joe Stevenson has 'good feeling' before return from layoff
If you had assumed Joe Stevenson had been retired the last year or so, you could probably be forgiven.
After all, the former UFC title challenger and "TUF" winner had been next to nowhere to be found.
If Joe "Daddy" went anywhere, he said, it was to get a new mental focus. And now, with that in hand – or in head – he's finally rejuvenated for his Saturday return to the cage against Dakota Cochrane at Resurrection Fighting Alliance 3.
HDNet relaunches Monday as AXS TV, promises continued MMA programming
HDNet's near-11-year run comes to a close on Monday, July 2, but the all-high-definition cable channel's replacement promises to have a familiar feel for MMA fans.
In January, HDNet announced a joint venture with AEG, Ryan Seacrest Media and Creative Artists Agency that sees HDNet rebranded as AXS TV (pronounced "access").
On Monday, that relaunch goes live, but AXS TV officials promise MMA-related programming such as "Inside MMA" and "HDNet Fights" will continue to feature prominently on the rebranded outlet.
There’s a Hurricane Brewing; Heather Clark Working to be Best Female Fighter
Following a disappointing loss in her last XFC outing in February, Heather “Hurricane” Clark was looking to make a statement at this past Friday’s event against Avery Vilche.
“I think I performed pretty well,” said Clark. “I think I could have done some a few things better, but all in all I listened to my corner and stuck with the game plan and it worked pretty effectively.
“She actually pulled me on top of her into half-guard and from there I kind of baited an arm bar to pass to side and from there I set up mount, and from mount I did a little ground and pound and made her turn her back and finished with the rear naked choke.”
The victory over Vilche gives Clark five wins in her last six fights, but it’s that loss in February to Marianna Kheyfets that still bothers her.
California State Athletic Commission In Disarray, With Boss Censured, Agency Insolvent
Jun 28, 2012 - The California state athletic commission is one of the largest combat sports sanctioning bodies in the nation, overseeing 190 events during its 2011 fiscal year, but it is also in chaos, a fact highlighted by a Tuesday meeting in which it was revealed that the agency is insolvent, with expenditures far outpacing revenue.
CSAC is already in the red, and according to numbers released in a memorandum from Department of Consumer Affairs budget officer Taylor Schick, if the commission continues its current projections, it would face a deficit of nearly $700,000 by the end of fiscal year 2013, a shortfall that could have a catastrophic effect on MMA and boxing in the state, because it could cause the commission to halt its programs, thereby denying regulation for combat sports.