WEC 43: Javier Vazquez replaces Mark Hominick; meets Deividas Taurosevicius
Veteran Javier Vazquez (13-3 MMA, 0-1 UFC) will replace injured Mark Hominick (16-8 MMA, 0-2 WEC) and meet promotional newcomer Deividas Taurosevicius (10-3 MMA, 0-0 WEC) at next month's WEC 43 event.
MMAjunkie.com's John Morgan broke news of the fight change on his Dallas Morning News MMA blog today.
The nature of Hominick's injury was not disclosed. Bout agreements are expected to be finalized today.
WEC 43, originally scheduled for Sept. 2 in Youngstown, Ohio, now takes place Oct. 18 at the 18,000-seat AT&T Center in San Antonio, Texas. Benson Henderon and Donald Cerrone fight for a WEC interim lightweight title in the night's main event.
Cung Le: Vacating the title 'is the right thing to do'
“For me, potentially I have another project, and I know I’m not in fight shape right now, and I think I should vacate my title because it’s not fair to them who their livelihood is fighting for an interim title when I’m here running around making movies and doing something different. It does not mean that I’m retiring; I’m just doing it because I think it’s the right thing to do … because I’m not ready to step up in the next coming months and fight five-rounders. I definitely intend to return, and I know for a fact that I will return, but I can’t just jump back in and be able to go five rounds at peak level when I left (after) the fight with Frank (Shamrock).”
–Strikeforce middleweight champion Cung Le talks about his absence from the promotion after churning out an assortment of upcoming movie roles.
UFN 19 Fighter Payouts
The Oklahoma State Department of Health’s Boxing Commission has revealed the official fighter payouts from last week's UFN 19 event. The total disclosed payouts were $476,000 with the biggest share-$60,000-going to Nate Quarry. And although their fight was a last-minute scratch, Sam Stout and Phillipe Nover both received what they would've had made had each won the fight, meaning $24,000 and $20,000 respectively.
With UFC planning to terminate contract, Frank Trigg says retirement is imminent
After waiting more than four years to make his return to the Ultimate Fighting Championship, veteran fighter Frank Trigg will probably be dropped from the organization once again. And if that's the case, he's likely to retire from the sport.
Trigg, a former top UFC welterweight contender, suffered a first-round TKO loss to Josh Koscheck on the main card of this past weekend's UFC 103 event in Dallas.
Following the Sept. 19 event, UFC president Dana White told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that Trigg probably won't get another fight in the organization. If that's the case, Trigg today said, his career is likely over.
"I think Trigg is one of those guys (like Mirko 'Cro Cop' Filipovic)," White said after the conclusion of the UFC 103 post-fight press conference. "These (other) guys are young and explosive. There's just a whole other level of talent out there, man, and that's the way it works. That's the way this business is."
Dana White confirms WEC is heading to Ohio for 2010 Arnold Sports Festival
World Extreme Cagefighting will take the spot vacated by the Ultimate Fighting Championship.
MMAjunkie.com first reported on Friday that – after three successful shows beginning in 2007 – the UFC would not return for a fourth show in Columbus, Ohio, that would coincide with the 2010 edition of the Arnold Sports Festival.
On Sunday, following UFC 103, UFC president Dana White spoke to MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) and confirmed our earlier report that the WEC will instead take the spot.
Although confirming the plans, White wasn't sure if the show had been officially booked just yet.
Thiago Silva “I Want The Belt”
Two days after knocking Keith Jardine out on UFC 102, Thiago Silva was already training hard on American Top Team. Without thinking about rest, the Brazilian spoke with TATAME.com about his biggest objective on UFC. “I want the belt and I’m working hard for it. I get rest one day and it’s fine, I’ll start the battle if, when UFC call me, I’ll be ready“, said Thiago, who talked about his desire to fight Lyoto Machida again, the next title fight between Machida and Mauricio Shogun, the training with his old time rival, Luis “Banha“ Cane, Rogério Minotouro coming on UFC and more.
Cung Le on Title Situation and New Movie
magine you wake up on a spacecraft and you don’t know who you are or why you’re there. You think you are only one of two survivors, but suddenly learn you are not alone. Factor in a mental condition that causes hallucinations, disorientation, and madness.
This scenario is the plot to the upcoming film Pandorum starring Dennis Quaid, Ben Foster, and San Shou and MMA champion Cung Le, due for release on Sept. 25 across North America.
MMAWeekly.com caught up with Le during his recent press tour to discuss the film, his inclusion in the Round 5 MMA figure line, and the recent announcement that he relinquished the Strikeforce middleweight title.
UFC's Lightweight Division Becoming an Attractive Option for Intriguing Battles
The UFC's lightweight division may be able to exclude itself from being a "stale" division after all. On Wednesday night, Gray Maynard defeated exiting UFC fighter Roger Huerta via decision to move himself into talk that he may be given a shot at the title in the near future. Three days later, his teammate, Tyson Griffin, finished an out-of-shape and reluctant Hermes Franca in the second round of their tilt at UFC 103, further igniting thoughts that Griffin may also be in the mix at the top of the lightweight division. While the welterweight division is struggling to find a viable contender and the middleweight division seems to be at a standstill due to Silva's injury and impassiveness, the lightweight division may become an attractive option for intriguing match-ups for Joe Silva and Dana White.
Tyson Griffin Ready For Top UFC Lightweights
On Saturday night, Tyson Griffin became the first man to give Hermes Franca the sting of a stoppage loss.
Going into the fight at UFC 103, the 25-year-old Griffin made sure to keep his stand-up game sharp. While Franca's boxing skills weren't the most technical, his hands were heavy.
Griffin won almost every exchange by controlling the distance and pace of the fight. Though he caught a few shots in the second, he regained his composure and continued to chip away at the Brazilian.
UFC 103 medical suspensions: All 26 fighters suspended, "Cro Cop" indefinitely
All 26 competitors from this past weekend's "UFC 103: Franklin vs. Belfort" event were issued medical suspension following the event.
MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) obtained the list of suspensions from the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation, which oversees combat sports in the state.
Although most of the suspensions run the minimum of seven days, some fighters received extended ones, including Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic, who has been suspended indefinitely.
UFC 103 took place Sept. 19 at the American Airlines Center in Dallas. The event aired on both Spike TV and pay-per-view.
Dodge Tennis Balls, Fight Like Anderson Silva
Silly-sounding but apparently true. In a recent interview with the BrasilCombate.com website, Anderson Silva reveals that he attributes a portion of his “spider sense” to the ability to dodge oncoming tennis balls at a high rate of speed. He did it for many years and still does with his children to improve reflexes.
Cro Cop: "I Should’ve Quit After I Won Pride FC"
Legendary mixed martial arts fighter, Mirko Cro Cop, reflects on his submission (verbal) loss to Junior dos Santos at UFC 103: “Franklin vs. Belfort” from the American Airlines Center in Dallas, Texas, on Sept. 19. He was beaten to the punch, and pretty much beat up, in what essentially turned out to be a striking match for two-plus rounds. The Croatian waved off the Brazilian in the third after eating a brutal knee to the face that wiped out his vision. It marked his third loss inside the Octagon in five attempts — a far cry from the world beater who was scalping his opponents just three years ago under the Pride FC banner.
GSP Should Be Back In Early 2010
In an interview last week, Georges St. Pierre said his injury at UFC 100 shoudln't have been a surprise-it had been bothering him for 8 months and he never let it heal properly. Until he can resume training in October, he's on a new diet (no more McDonald's) and he should return to action in early 2010 according to his representative. No hints dropped as to which weight class he might fight at but GSP says he's open to moving up from Welterweight at some point.
Steve Lopez okay following injury at UFC 103
DALLAS – Steve Lopez was forced to quit in the opening moments of the second round of his bout with Jim Miller at UFC 103 on Saturday night. While throwing a punch, he displaced his shoulder, leaving him unable to continue.
Jennifer Wenk, UFC Director of Public Relations, at the post-fight press conference said that Lopez dislocated his shoulder during the fight, but that it popped back in at the arena. He did not have to go to the hospital for treatment and was doing fine.
The injury appears to be recurring, as another UFC official indicated that the same thing has happened to Lopez during training.
Daley unconcerned with next opponent, but White says it could be Swick
The 26-year-old "Semtex" has bounced around from organization to organization in recent years, but Affliction's demise as a fight promotion led Daley to the UFC.An injury to Mike Swick led Daley to Saturday's UFC 103 main card, and his explosive hands led to a win over Martin Kampmann and some high praise from his boss."This kid put himself on the map tonight," UFC president Dana White said of Daley at the post-event press conference. "I love guys that step up on short notice because it's an opportunity. He took the opportunity and made it happen."Daley was originally scheduled to fight on the evening's preliminary card against Brian Foster. But when Swick's mishap led to an opportunity for a promotion, Daley jumped at the chance.The Brit said it's the type of move fans can continue to expect from him in the future.