Kenny Florian Talks Broadcasting Career, Changing Training Camps, Clay Guida
Kenny Florian has been hanging out recently with the Tapout crew on their nationwide tour, but next week he will head to Montreal, QC, to train at the Tristar Gym for his UFC 107 fight against Clay Guida.
FanHouse spoke to Florian on Wednesday about the tour, how he remains neutral while commentating on fights and why he decided to leave Team Sityodtong. The full video is below.
Dana White Rips Strikeforce, Showtime for Signing Herschel Walker
UFC President Dana White says he's outraged that Strikeforce has signed former football star Herschel Walker to make his MMA debut at age 47, and he ripped Strikeforce's TV partner, Showtime, for engaging in a gimmick that makes the sport look bad.
"I think it's ridiculous," White told Mike Chiappetta on the Inside The Ultimate Fighter podcast. "People think we're anti-competition? We're anti-dumb competition. Doing stupid things like this, putting a 50-year-old guy in the Octagon for the first time, and then going out there putting out press releases like it's a big deal because you signed a 50-year-old Herschel Walker? Are you serious?"
Kenny Florian and Marc Dellagrotte go their separate ways.
With all the excitement over the past few days of fights, news of Kenny Florian leaving Sityodtong Muay Thai and Mixed Martial Arts, sort of flew under the radar.
Long time trainer Marc Dellagrotte confirmed the split through an interview with Fighter’sOnly.com stating, “There are no hard feelings. Me and Kenny have been good friends for a long, long time. We did good thing together. I think this is a good decision for both of us. I think he is going to do well, I think the people he is going with are some of the best in the world. It wasn’t a bad break or anything like that, it was just a mutual decision we made in order for us both to move forward. It was necessary for Kenny to move forward with his career and me to move forward as a coach.”
Wanderlei Silva to Film Reality TV Show
A reality show competition is currently in the works that will feature Wanderlei Silva scouting aspiring fighters for his Wand Fight Team, and FanHouse has confirmed that the show will be broadcasted on a television network to be announced.
An open casting call will be held Nov. 14 at the Wand Fight Team Training Center in Las Vegas. According to Silva, 10 fighters will be selected and invited to his camp.
Alistair Overeem: This Year is for K-1, I Hope to Fight Fedor Next Year
Speaking with reporters in Japan prior to his K-1 kickboxing fight on Saturday, Strikeforce heavyweight champion Alistair Overeem said that he expects to defend his title against Fedor Emelianenko some time in 2010.
"This year is the K-1 year and then after this I am world heavyweight champion in America of Strikeforce, which is a pretty big promotion," Overeem said (at the 6:30 mark of the video above). "Fedor Emelianenko signed with them two months ago and I'm hoping to fight him next year in America."
"Strikeforce: Emelianenko vs. Rogers" official for Nov. 7 at Sears Centre near Chicago
The Nov. 7 "Strikeforce: Emelianenko vs. Rogers" event is official for the Sears Centre in Hoffman Estates, Ill., a suburb to the northwest of Chicago.
Strikeforce executive Mike Afromowitz today confirmed the previously rumored locale with MMAjunkie.com.
The event is headlined by a heavyweight clash between Fedor Emelianenko and Brett Rogers, and Jason "Mayhem" Miller and Jake Shields meet for a middleweight title recently vacated by former champ Cung Le.
Rashad Evans vs. Thiago Silva Likely for UFC 108
Left without an opponent for his next fight when Rampage Jackson walked away from the UFC, Rashad Evans said Wednesday that he expects to fight Thiago Silva next, likely some time in December or early next year.
"Thiago Silva is a good fighter, I'd like to fight him and I think he wants to fight me," Evans said. "When I saw him after he fought Keith Jardine, he kind of gave me a nasty look that I interpreted like he wanted to take me on, and I'd like that."
Broken Hand Stalls Sylvia’s Dream Debut
A broken hand will prevent Tim Sylvia from making an Oct. 25 debut with the Dream promotion in Japan, said the fighter’s manager Monte Cox.
Cox said the 6-foot-8 Sylvia broke his right hand about a minute and a half into his heavyweight bout with Jason Riley at Adrenaline 4 last Friday in Council Bluffs, Iowa. Sylvia scored a technical knockout 2:32 into the first round. Cox said the 33-year-old Sylvia will be out of action until December.
Rashad Evans will fight Rampage Jackson for free
“Rampage is a very emotional fighter, a very emotional person, and he just let his emotions take over his rational thinking. I think that him and Dana White just probably need to talk it out, and get past it. I think it’s just a breakdown in communication. Dana’s the kind of guy who is going to say what is on his mind, maybe without thinking it through all the way, before he said. Rampage is a hothead, as well. You get two tempers like that, go at each other like that, it makes the situation hard to work through. I’d be disappointed not to fight him. It would be a good fight, a fun fight, but mostly because he talked trash. He got me really angry, and I want to fight him just because of that alone. It’s a fight that people want to see. You get your mind wrapped up, and you get your mind so psyched up about fighting a fighter, and then it doesn’t happen, it’s disappointing. That’s why I hate making a fight personal. At the end of the day, we’re professional athletes, and we get paid to do a job. But when you get to fight someone you really want to fight, that’s like a bonus. You’d almost do it for free…. I would have loved to punch him in the face for free.”
– Rashad Evans — the man caught in the middle of the controversy between UFC President Dana White and Quinton “Rampage” Jackson — tells CageWriter.com that at this point he’d fight the former light heavyweight champion for free if he could.
Keith Kizer say protocol, not "Black List," reason for ref John Mcarthy's NSAC status
"Veteran referee "Big" John McCarthy hasn't refereed a mixed martial arts contest in Nevada in nearly two years.
And as Sherdog.com first reported on Tuesday, a recently denied McCarthy application to the Nevada State Athletic Commission means "Big" John still isn't eligible to officiate in the state.
But as NSAC Executive Director Keith Kizer told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com), conspiracy theorists can take a rest; McCarthy isn't the only veteran referee that the commission simply doesn't have a use for at this time."
Mirko Cro Cop Retires
It's over. After 15 years in MMA, Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic has officially retired today. His manager was instructed to release all Team Cro Cop members from their duties. Mirko simply said "I have no motivation left and it's time to leave. Thank you all for supporting me."
Ready or Not, Here Comes Todd Duffee
All signs point to Todd Duffee facing Paul Buentello at UFC 107 in December. MMA Junkie first reported the bout over the weekend, and FanHouse has learned that it is close to being finalized.
FanHouse recently spoke to the 23-year-old UFC rookie about his stellar Octagon debut in August, why he was hesitant to fight in the UFC this early in his career and his unique nickname. The full interview is below.
Following UFC 103 double-bonus performance, this Story has a happy ending
Rick Story and Brian Foster were joking around Saturday night just a few hours after punching each other in the face. Watching a re-broadcast of their UFC 103 fight from the locker room, the talk quickly turned to money.
"He said he was sure I had Submission of the Night," Story recently told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "The only other submission (during UFC 103) was a rear-naked choke.
"I'm not sure which one of us brought it up, but we started talking about Fight of the Night. They showed us on Spike and then again at the end of the pay-per-view, so we knew they must have liked it."
With Rampage Out, Huerta Wants Back In
Before he burns any bridges with the UFC, Quinton “Rampage” Jackson might want to take a look at the cautionary tale of Roger Huerta. After losing what was supposed to be his last match in the UFC before running off to a land of riches and pain-free adulation in Hollywood, Huerta now says he might like to stick around and see where this fighting thing takes him. And what caused this tremendous shift from the guy who signed a development deal with Lion’s Gate Films and has been very vocal about his displeasure with the UFC in the past? From the sound of it, this acting plum isn’t quite as sweet as Huerta thought it would be.
War Machine,Joe Soto head MMA's Return To Tachi Palace Hotel & Casino
Mixed martial arts action returns to the birthplace of the WEC and Palace Fighting Championship.
The debut event for the newly formed Tachi Palace Fights, entitled "Most Wanted," takes place Oct. 8 at Tachi Palace Hotel & Casono in Lemoore, Calif.
Rising prospect Chad Mendes headlines the event, while former "The Ultimate Fighter 6" cast member War Machine and Bellator champion Joe Soto also feature prominently on the evening's main card.
After a successful five-year run by the WEC in Lemoore between 2001 and 2006, Palace Fighting Championship ran several well-attended mixed martial arts and hybrid events at Tachi Palace Hotel & Casino between 2007 and 2009.
Sengoku 10th Battle results: Hiroshi Izumi's debut spoiled
Any hopes World Victory Road had that Olympian Hiroshi Izumi would make an immediate impact in the MMA world were dashed today when the Judo standout suffered a first-round TKO loss to fellow MMA newcomer Antz Nansen.
Antonio Silva, meanwhile, picked up his sixth consecutive victory with an efficient first-round submission victory over Jim York.
The two fights co-headlined Sengoku 10th Battle at the Saitama Super Arena in Saitama, Japan.
WVR officials had grand expectations for Izumi, Japan's 2004 Olympic silver medalist. However, as Nansen, an accomplished kickboxer from New Zealand, began unloading a series of punches in the night's headliner, Izumi made the ill-advised decision to stand and trade.
Nansen (1-0) successfully mixed in punches and kicks and tagged his opponent high and low. One punch, though, connected flush and knocked Izumi's legs out from under him. After hitting the mat, Izumi (0-1) attempted to defend and fight back, but Nansen's continued assault and heavy right-left combination ultimately forced the TKO stoppage.
The referee halted the bout at 2:56 of the first round.