Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!
Sign In
Username:

 
Password:

 
Keep me logged in

October 2012 MMA News Archive - Page 9

Do you have a hot MMA story or news item that you have found and would like to share?
Then read our guidelines then post it to our MMA News Share Forum to have it display here for the community to read on this page.
 
Matchmaker Joe Silva explains why he released DaMarques Johnson from UFC
(mmafighting.com)
Silva then offered the fight to Johnson, through his manager Monte Cox. When Cox called Silva back to tell him Johnson agreed to take the fight at 170 pounds, Silva said he told Cox about the Attonito release and wanted him to tell Johnson what had just happened as well. Cox did just that. Later that day, Silva saw Johnson at The Ultimate Fighter 17 tryouts in Las Vegas. He said he thanked Johnson for taking the fight but also noticed that he looked heavier than usual. A couple of hours later, Johnson told Silva that he weighed 210 pounds and didn't think he could make 170 pounds. Silva then offered him a 175-pound catch weight fight against Nelson, which both fighters agreed to. At the Sept. 28 weigh-ins in England, Johnson ended up weighing 183 pounds, missing weight by 8 pounds. As a result, twenty percent of his purse was given to Nelson. Johnson lost the fight the next day and was released earlier this week. "I thought it was incredibly unfair to Gunnar Nelson to fight someone that much larger than him," Silva said. "Johnson told me he could make the weight. He's not doing me a favor if he missed weight because I could have gotten someone else who would have made the weight. "I never pressure anyone to take late notice fights. I got a bunch of guys who want to fight. If one says no, I will find someone else. No problem."
Submitted Oct 11, 2012 6:02PM by BuffaloDave - 15 comments
Filed under: UFC
 
VADA Offers Drug Testing for TUF Finale Main Event, Carwin’s Camp Says That’s News to Them
(mmaweekly.com)
Following a season of coaching opposite one another, Roy Nelson and Shane Carwin will finally settle their differences at the Ultimate Fighter finale on Dec 15 in Las Vegas. The bout will be held under direction from the Nevada State Athletic Commission, who does drug testing prior to fights under their jurisdiction, but it looks like another agency is hoping to do some testing of their own. VADA (Voluntary Anti-Doping Agency) has offered to do additional drug testing for the Nelson vs. Carwin fight, similar to the process they are doing for the Rory MacDonald/B.J. Penn fight at UFC on Fox 5 also in December.
Submitted Oct 11, 2012 5:38PM by FastKnockout - 2 comments
Filed under: UFC
 
UFC 152 and UFC on FUEL TV 5 drug tests come back clean, one TRT exemption
(mmajunkie.com)
All fighters who underwent drug testing at the recent UFC 152 and UFC on FUEL TV 5 events passed their drug tests. Marc Ratner, the UFC's vice president of government and regulatory affairs, today confirmed the results with MMAjunkie.com. Ratner said one fighter received a therapeutic-use exemption for testosterone-replacement therapy at UFC 152, but he wouldn't identify the individual, who tested within allowable limits, he said.
Submitted Oct 11, 2012 5:26PM by FastKnockout - 4 comments
Filed under: UFC
 
UFC 153's Chris Camozzi donates portion of purse to Brazil's Institute Reacao
(mmajunkie.com)
UFC middleweight Chris Camozzi will be the enemy when he steps into the cage against his Brazilian UFC 153 opponent Luiz Cane, but on Thursday, he brought smiles to a few hundred Rio de Janeiro youth. During "UFC Children's Day" at Brazil's Instituto Reacao, Camozzi committed to donate an undisclosed portion of his UFC 153 fight purse to the social project headed by Olympic judo medalist Flavio Canto. The UFC also agreed to match Camozzi's donation.
Submitted Oct 11, 2012 5:22PM by FastKnockout - 4 comments
Filed under: UFC
 
Cristiano Marcello Warns “If I Have the Chance to Break His Arm, I’m Going to Do That”
(mmaweekly.com)
It was April 2011 when Cristiano Marcello first crossed paths with his future UFC 153 opponent Reza Madadi. Madadi won the Super Challenge title that night with a win over UFC veteran Rich Clementi, and at the behest of the promoters, former Chute Boxe coach Cristiano Marcello went into the cage to challenge the new champion for the first show at the belt. Instead of fun stare down or even a mutual respect between fighters, Madadi grabbed the microphone away from Marcello and said ‘you’re not on my level, don’t even try’ before walking out of the cage. Ever since that moment, Marcello has been on a mission to beat Madadi, and show him a whole new level of pain in the cage. “At the time they gave him to me, I said thanks to God because at the time you’re a champion you know someone is going to try to take your belt. If you watch the tape I’m so respectful, I said thanks to Reza for being here and telling him he’s a great fighter, and he takes the microphone out of my hands and tells me I’m not on his level,” said Marcello when speaking to MMAWeekly Radio recently. “He was right at the time, I’m not on his level. I’m better than him, and I’m going to prove I’m better than him on October 13th.”
Submitted Oct 11, 2012 1:01PM by BuffaloDave - 9 comments
Filed under: UFC
 
UFC 'Macao:' Hyun Gyu vs David Mitchell booked with Marcelo Guimaraes injured
(mmamania.com)
At UFC on Fuel TV 6, Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) will venture into China for the first time ever at the Venetian Macau Resort Hotel in Macau on Nov. 10, 2012. In "Prelims" under card mixed martial arts (MMA) action, Marcelo Guimaraes was supposed to welcome Hyun Gyu Lim to the Octagon. However, now it appears that the honor will fall to David Mitchell instead because Guimaraes has reportedly withdrawn from the fight for an unspecified reason.
Submitted Oct 11, 2012 7:06AM by sparky - 2 comments
Filed under: UFC
 
UFC champ Jose Aldo says he's done riding motorcycles, anxious for Edgar title fight
(mmajunkie.com)
The UFC featherweight champ was supposed to be gearing up for a fight in three days in front of his home fans. Instead, thanks to a spill on his ride, he's in Rio de Janeiro as a spectator. And because of that, Aldo said he's done with that form of transportation – one of the more economical and popular ways to get around in Brazil. "No more motorbikes for me," Aldo on Wednesday told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "I'm young, so obviously I do mess up once in a while. But I learned my lesson, and I'm not going to ride (motorcycles) anymore." Though Aldo was supposed to fight Erik Koch (13-1 MMA, 2-0 UFC) originally, Koch had to pull out with an injury and that paved the way for Edgar, who decided to drop to featherweight after his lightweight title rematch loss to champion Benson Henderson at UFC 150 in August. But Aldo said it's Edgar he wants to fight next, regardless of when that is. "Definitely (I want to fight Edgar)," he said. "I think he's one of the best fighters in the class and will be a big challenge for me. All my career has been challenges, so I want this challenge."
Submitted Oct 10, 2012 9:37PM by BuffaloDave - 9 comments
Filed under: UFC
 
Queensland’s Own Kyle Noke Faces Seth Baczynski at UFC on FX 6 in Australia
(mmaweekly.com)
With UFC on FX 6 taking place in Broadbeach, Queensland, Australia on Dec. 15, local fans will be pleased to note that Queensland’s own Kyle Noke has been.
Submitted Oct 10, 2012 6:46PM by FastKnockout - 11 comments
Filed under: UFC
 
UFC on FX 5 medical suspensions: Danny Castillo suspended indefinitely
(mmajunkie.com)
The full list of UFC on FX 5 suspensions included: Travis Browne: suspended 30 days with no contact during training for 14 days for precautionary reasons Jay Hieron: suspended 30 days with no contact during training for 14 days due to a laceration Jussier Formiga: suspended 30 days with no contact during training for 14 days for precautionary reasons Danny Castillo: suspended indefinitely until cleared by a neurological exam; regardless, suspended 60 days with no contact during training for 45 days for precautionary reasons Diego Nunes: suspended 45 days with no contact during training for 30 days due to a laceration Bart Palaszewski: suspended 45 days with no contact during training for 30 days due to a laceration Aaron Simpson: suspended 60 days with no contact during training for 45 days for precautionary reasons As is customary in Minnesota, all other fighters received a mandatory seven-day rest period.
Submitted Oct 10, 2012 1:10PM by BuffaloDave - 3 comments
Filed under: UFC
 
Yves Edwards to face John Cholish at UFC on FOX 5
(mmafighting.com)
Yves Edwards has a new fight. After his scheduled bout at UFC on FX 5 with Jeremy Stephens fell out, UFC President Dana White promised to get the ATT-trained lightweight a new fight. Edwards will now face John Cholish at UFC on FOX 5 on Dec. 8th. MMA Fighting's Ariel Helwani confirmed the news Wednesday with event sources...
Submitted Oct 10, 2012 11:57AM by grappler0000 - 4 comments
Filed under: UFC
 
With Brock Lesnar and Cole Konrad Retired, Team Death Clutch Is No More
(mmaweekly.com)
Following the retirements of both Brock Lesnar and Cole Konrad, what was once Team Death Clutch is no more. The heavyweight team that assembled around former UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar came to notoriety after the former Minnesota wrestler wanted to built a gym and facility that would make him a more complete mixed martial artist, while also keeping him close to home...
Submitted Oct 10, 2012 11:49AM by grappler0000 - 14 comments
Filed under: MMA Personalities, Fight Camp / Team
 
UFC's Jeremy Stephens remains jailed in Minnesota, awaits Oct. 23 court date
(mmajunkie.com)
Following a Tuesday afternoon court appearance, UFC lightweight Jeremy Stephens continues to be held in a Minnesota jail – where he is expected to remain until his next court date. Stephens (20-8 MMA, 7-6 UFC) was arrested Friday morning by the Minneapolis Police Department for warrants stemming from a 2011 incident in Iowa for which the fighter was charged with assault. The arrest came just hours before he was to fight Yves Edwards (41-18-1 MMA, 9-6 UFC) at UFC on FX 5 in Minneapolis. His fight against Edwards was pulled from the event at Target Center, despite efforts to get him released in time for the bout. A representative from the Hennepin (Minn.) County court clerk's office on Tuesday told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that Stephens applied for and was granted a public defender and now is being held without bail until his next scheduled court appearance on Oct. 23...
Submitted Oct 10, 2012 9:34AM by grappler0000 - 10 comments
Filed under: MMA Personalities, UFC
 
“All aboard the UFC Injury Train” an Unofficial record of MMA Fighter Injury
(mmaopinion.co.uk)
Last year, one of our members (MMA Opinions), Adam Boucher began keeping a tally of the injuries in the UFC. He affectionately called it the “UFC Injury Train”. Whenever a fighter suffered an unfortunate mishap, he’d make a post and call everyone by saying “All aboard the UFC Injury Train”. I was wondering how far he’d gotten since tracking these incidents around UFC 143, and here’s where we stand:
Submitted Oct 10, 2012 4:28AM by jjeans - 4 comments
Filed under: General MMA
 
DaMarques Johnson confirms UFC release
(mmajunkie.com)
Following a loss at the recent UFC on FUEL TV 5 event, DaMarques Johnson is a UFC fighter no longer. The welterweight fighter and "The Ultimate Fighter 9" runner-up today confirmed his contractual release via Twitter. His release follows a three-fight losing streak, though the latest defeat came on late notice with some peculiar details. Johnson (16-12 MMA, 4-6 UFC), who never went to a decision in 10 career UFC fights, met Gunnar Nelson, and the fight took place at UFC on FUEL TV 5 on just 12 days' notice. The bout, which ended with a first-round loss via rear-naked choke, also came just 56 days after a violent knockout loss to Mike Swick.
Submitted Oct 9, 2012 12:00PM by BuffaloDave - 28 comments
Filed under: UFC
 
Jeremy Stephens' camp releases statement on arrest
(bloodyelbow.com)
After a bizarre situation this past Friday that saw Jeremy Stephens arrested the morning of his scheduled UFC on FX 5: Browne vs. Bigfoot fight with Yves Edwards, Stephens' management has released a statement. As many are already aware, the UFC and president Dana White spent the day of the arrest saying that he was still fighting and trying to get him out of jail, but a deal could not be worked out as Stephens was being held on a felony warrant. White blamed the Polk County, Iowa police for being impossible to work with, something that the Stephens camp maintained in their statement.
Submitted Oct 8, 2012 10:48PM by FastKnockout - 17 comments
Filed under: UFC
 
Travis Browne out 2-4 months with torn hamstring
(bloodyelbow.com)
Following Travis Browne's KO defeat to Antonio Silva, trainer Greg Jackson tweeted that Browne had blown out his knee on the first high kick of the fight. Well ... not quite. Browne went to the doctor today and he went to Twitter to clarify his injury. It's not a blown knee thankfully, but it's still a serious injury. @travisbrowneMMA And they said I tore my hamstring, ill be out for 2-4 months. Luckily no surgery. Thank you again for your support. Ill be back stronger!
Submitted Oct 8, 2012 10:02PM by Shawn91111 - 10 comments
Filed under: UFC
 
Mayhem Miller Storms off MMA Hour Set
(youtube.com)
"The video was pulled earlier, but here’s what MMAFighting.com released via you tube. Mayhem was very confrontational and seemed very out of sorts. Very sad to see."
Submitted Oct 8, 2012 9:19PM by Hendo67 - 33 comments
Filed under: General MMA
 
bjpenn.com Reports Strikeforce is Done
(bjpenn.com)
Sources close to BJPENN.com informed us just moments ago that Strikeforce operations are set to cease and that the promotion is going out of business. The rumor comes shortly after news broke that Strikeforce middleweight champion Luke Rockhold (10-1 MMA, 9-0 SF) was forced to pull out of his title fight with Lorenz Larkin (13-0 MMA, 4-0 SF) due to a wrist injury. The middleweight title fight was the second key loss to a scheduled November 3rd card, following the loss of a heavyweight main event bout between Frank Mir and Daniel Cormier.
Submitted Oct 8, 2012 7:26PM by Gogoplatapus - 20 comments
Filed under: StrikeForce
 
Rumors swirling - plug being pulled on Strikeforce
(bjpenn.com)
Sources close to BJPENN.com informed us just moments ago that Strikeforce operations are set to cease and that the promotion is going out of business. The rumor comes shortly after news broke that Strikeforce middleweight champion Luke Rockhold (10-1 MMA, 9-0 SF) was forced to pull out of his title fight with Lorenz Larkin (13-0 MMA, 4-0 SF) due to a wrist injury. The middleweight title fight was the second key loss to a scheduled November 3rd card, following the loss of a heavyweight main event bout between Frank Mir and Daniel Cormier.
Submitted Oct 8, 2012 7:24PM by Shawn91111 - 18 comments
Filed under: StrikeForce
 
Sara McMann injured, also off November 3rd Strikeforce card
(bloodyelbow.com)
The injury bug has fully engulfed Strikeforce's November 3rd show, as Sara McMann, who came into Strikeforce as a potential threat to bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey, is now out of her fight against Liz Carmouche. It's become almost comical at this point, as all of their major fights for this Oklahoma show have gone by the wayside. MMA Weekly confirmed the news: Sources close to the situation confirmed with MMAWeekly.com on Monday that McMann is out of her scheduled fight against Liz Carmouche. The details regarding McMann’s injury was not disclosed, but she will be unable to compete at the upcoming Strikeforce card in November. What can you say? No more Mir vs. Cormier, Rockhold vs. Larkin, and now McMann vs. Carmouche is finished. The card is in less than a month so either they have to find replacements for all of these fights or they'll have to cancel another Strikeforce show. They don't have a main event, they don't have a co-main event, there's nothing right now.
Submitted Oct 8, 2012 5:49PM by Budgellism - 2 comments
Filed under: StrikeForce
 
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11
RSS
Archive  
 
  » July 2014
  » June 2014
  » May 2014
  » April 2014
  » March 2014
  » February 2014
  » January 2014
  » December 2013
  » November 2013
  » October 2013
  » September 2013
  » August 2013
  » July 2013
  » June 2013
  » May 2013
  » April 2013
  » March 2013
  » February 2013
  » January 2013
  » December 2012
  » November 2012
  » October 2012
  » September 2012
  » August 2012
  » July 2012
  » June 2012
  » May 2012
  » April 2012
  » March 2012
  » February 2012
  » January 2012
  » December 2011
  » November 2011
  » October 2011
  » September 2011
  » August 2011
  » July 2011
  » June 2011
  » May 2011
  » April 2011
  » March 2011
  » February 2011
  » January 2011
  » December 2010
  » November 2010
  » October 2010
  » September 2010
  » August 2010
  » July 2010
  » June 2010
  » May 2010
  » April 2010
  » March 2010
  » February 2010
  » January 2010
  » December 2009
  » November 2009
  » October 2009
  » September 2009
  » August 2009
  » July 2009
  » June 2009
  » May 2009
  » April 2009
  » March 2009
  » February 2009
  » January 2009
  » December 2008
  » November 2008
  » October 2008
  » September 2008
  » August 2008
  » July 2008
  » June 2008
  » May 2008
  » April 2008
  » March 2008
  » February 2008
  » January 2008
  » December 2007
  » November 2007
  » October 2007
  » September 2007
  » August 2007
  » July 2007
  » June 2007
Categories