October 2012 MMA News Archive - Page 8
Do you have a hot MMA story or news item that you have found and would like to share? Simply read the instructions, then post it to our MMA News Share Forum to have it display here for the community to read on this page.
Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira Won’t Fight Junior dos Santos, Still WantsTop Ten Opponents
Since defeating Tim Sylvia to win the UFC heavyweight title in 2008, Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira has alternated between wins and losses in the division. A masterful performance has been followed up with a tough loss every time for Nogueira, but after having his arm shattered by Frank Mir at UFC 140 last year, the Brazilian legend returned to form with his own submission victory over Dave Herman on Saturday night. Following the win, the questions of retirement kept coming at Nogueira, but he says that he’s still got time left in fighting, and he wants to spend it gunning for the best fighters in the UFC heavyweight division
Dana White: New surgery offers '70 percent' chance of Meniere's disease improvement
UFC President Dana White admittedly was in a good mood this weekend at UFC 153, but it followed trips to England and Toronto in which he was a "mess." And that's the problem with Meniere's disease: One day you're fine, and the next you can barely stand upright. White, though, said he'll soon undergo a new outpatient surgery that offers him a 70 percent chance of real improvement after being diagnosed with the disease earlier this year.
UFC, fighters on board for Glover Teixeira vs. 'Rampage' Jackson
It appears all parties are on board for a bout between recent UFC 153 winner Glover Teixeira and his original opponent, Quinton "Rampage" Jackson, who dropped off this past weekend's card due to an injury. Following Teixeira's TKO win over Fabio Maldonado, the fast-rising light-heavyweight contender said he wants "Rampage" if the fighter is interested and willing to show up in shape. It appears both Jackson and UFC President Dana White are on board.
Colorado commission confirms Shields' suspension, UFC 150 win changed to no-contest
Jake Shields' win over Ed Herman at UFC 150 has been changed to a no-contest, and the fighter has also been fined $5,675. A disciplinary complaint from the Colorado Department of Regulatory Agencies' Boxing Commission also confirms a six-month suspension for Shields, who announced this past Friday that he'd tested positive for a banned substance. MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) obtained a copy of the complaint, which became effective today. It did not disclose the substance for which Shields tested positive
World Series of Fighting 1's four-fight main card, seven prelims set
The full WSOF 1 includes: MAIN CARD (NBC Sports Network) -Andrei Arlovski vs. Devin Cole -Anthony Johnson vs. D.J. Linderman -Marlon Moraes vs. Miguel Torres -Gregor Gracie vs. Tyson Steele PRELIMINARY CARD -Travis Bartlett vs. Tyrone Spong -Brian Cobb vs. Ronys Torres -Josh Burkman vs. Gerald Harris -Gesias "JZ" Cavalcante vs. T.J. O'Brien -Dave Branch vs. Dustin Jacoby -Waylon Lowe vs. Fabio Mello -Ramico Blackmon vs. Steve Carl
Dana White Wants Glover Teixeira to Fight a ‘Top Guy’ Before Considering a UFC Title Shot
UFC light heavyweight Glover Teixeira may have only had two fights inside the Octagon, but company president Dana White has already been impressed with what he has seen thus far from the Brazilian. Teixeira made his UFC debut at UFC 146 in May, where he choked out Kyle Kingsbury in the second round. He followed that up with a TKO stoppage on Saturday night against fellow Brazilian Fabio Maldonado at UFC 153 at the HSBC Arena in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil...
With Two Fights Left On His UFC Deal, Anderson Silva and Dana White Will Renegotiate Very Soon
The future for UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva isn’t terribly clear after his latest win at UFC 153. It would appear Silva can write his own checks out of the UFC bank account at this point with his incredible winning streak, his devastating style, and continued success in pulling in both live crowds and pay-per-view sales. Following his win over Stephan Bonnar at UFC 153, Silva now sits with two fights remaining on his current UFC deal, and he’s bounced back and forth on what exactly comes next...
Dana White says Fabio Maldonado will not be released following UFC 153 loss
Despite suffering his third-straight UFC loss, Fabio Maldonado (18-6 MMA, 1-3 UFC) will fight again in the octagon. At Saturday night's post-UFC 153 press conference, UFC President Dana White said the 32-year-old Brazilian will not be released from his contract. "If we cut that guy, we deserve to be beat with a stick," White said...
UFC 153 draws an announced 16,844 fans for gate between $2.5-2.6 million
Saturday's UFC 153 pay-per-view event drew an announced attendance of 16,844 fans for an estimated live gate of between $2.5 and $2.6 million. UFC President Dana White announced the figures at the night's post-event news conference, which MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) attended. UFC 153 took place at HSBC Arena in Rio de Janeiro. The main card aired on pay-per-view following prelims on FX and Facebook. The main event was a non-title light heavyweight fight between middleweight champ Anderson Silva and Stephan Bonnar. Silva did some gunslinging with Bonnar before breaking out with a leaping knee that led to the end of the fight in the first. It was his 16th consecutive octagon win...
White: Overeem meets Dos Santos-Velasquez winner, possibly in March or April
Not that either will be looking past the other, but at least Junior Dos Santos and Cain Velasquez can be reasonably sure of their potential next assignment if they win in December. The winner between heavyweight champion Dos Santos (15-1 MMA, 9-0 UFC) and Velasquez (10-1 MMA, 8-1 UFC) will face former No. 1 contender Alistair Overeem (36-11 MMA, 1-0 UFC), perhaps as early as March or April. UFC President Dana White laid out the still very loose plan early Sunday following the post-event news conference for UFC 153, which took place in Rio de Janeiro. "The winner of that fight will fight Overeem (in March or April)," White said...
UFC 153 bonuses: Nogueira, Jason, Fitch, Erick Silva get $70,000 awards
Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, Rony Jason, Jon Fitch and Erick Silva each earned $70,000 bonuses for their performances at Saturday's "UFC 153: Silva vs. Bonnar" event. Nogueira won the "Submission of the Night" bonus, Jason earned the "Knockout of the Night" award, and Fitch and Erick picked up "Fight of the Night" honors. UFC President Dana White announced the winners and bonus amounts following the event, which took place at HSBC Arena in Rio de Janeiro. The event's main card aired on pay-per-view following prelims on FX and Facebook.
UFC 153 results and analysis - Silva toys with Bonnar, stops him in R1
RIO DE JANEIRO – Neither size nor toughness could save Stephan Bonnar from Anderson Silva. Silva, who stepped up to light heavyweight to save the injury-rattled UFC 153, brazenly took Bonnar's best shots before launching a knee that crumpled "The American Psycho" in the first round. The light heavyweight bout served as the main event of Saturday's UFC 153 event at HSBC Arena in Rio de Janeiro. It aired on pay-per-view following prelims on FX and Facebook. "I'm not the best," Silva said through his translator and manager Ed Soares. "I just believe that I can do things that people believe are impossible."
Resurrection Fighting Alliance acquires Titan Fighting Championship, AXS TV deal
Resurrection Fighting Alliance today announced it has acquired Titan Fighting Championship. The deal includes Titan FC's fighter contracts, as well as its current broadcast deal with AXS TV. Financial terms of the deal weren't disclosed.
Bellator 76 Results: Eddie Alvarez Finishes Patricky Pitbull with Highlight Head Kick KO
FULL BELLATOR 76 RESULTS: -Eddie Alvarez def. Patricky “Pitbull” Freire by KO (head kick) at 4:54, R1 -Rad Martinez def. Nazareno Malagarie by unanimous decision -Wagnney Fabiano def. Akop Stepanyan by submission (armbar) at 3:24, R1 -Mike Richman def. Jeremy Spoon by KO (head kick) at 23 seconds, R1 -Shahbulat Shamhalaev def. Cody Bollinger by TKO at 4:49, R1 PRELIMINARY CARD: -Jason Fletcher def. Kyle Prepolec by submission (arm triangle) -Chad Laprise def. Ainsley Robinson by unanimous decision -Ali Mokdad def. Simon Marini by unanimous decision -Dom O’Grady def. A.J. Matthews by split decision -Magomedrasui Khasbulaev def. Nayeb Hezam by TKO
Allegations Against Stephens Show He Beat A Man To Critical Condition
Des Moines police emphatically denied allegations by the agent of a mixed martial arts fighter arrested on felony assault charges last week that authorities deliberately arrested him before a nationally televised fight. Jeremy Dean Stephens, 26, a Des Moines native, was arrested in Minnesota last week on a Des Moines warrant for willful injury and assault causing bodily injury. Authorities arrested Stephens, who is a veteran lightweight for the Ultimate Fighting Championship, hours before a nationally televised fight, causing him to miss his bout despite the best efforts of fight promoters to see him released. While his agent accused authorities of acting in bad faith and deliberately waiting until just before the fight to arrest Stephens, police officials insisted the fight was their only chance to serve a warrant on the San Diego man. “It wasn’t personal. We gave him several opportunities to turn himself in. He’s had a year to take care of it,” said Des Moines Police Sgt. Joe Leo. “ The crime Stephens was arrested for reportedly occurred almost a year ago, on Oct. 15, 2011. According to police reports, the victim and his wife were at Fat Tony’s, 1500 SE 1st St., with Stephens and Dustin James Bachman, 27. The victim had reportedly been asked to leave the bar and was still in the parking lot when Stephens and Bachman emerged soon after. According to the victim’s wife, Stephens punched the victim in the left eye. The victim leaned against the building and Bachman punched him on the head and face several times, police said. The victim’s wife helped him get into their car and was trying to lock the doors when Bachman reportedly pulled the victim out of the vehicle by his feet. Stephens and Bachman then allegedly punched and kicked the victim on his head and body for about a minute, authorities said. The suspects fled. The victim was unconscious and stopped breathing twice, police reports show. He was intubated and taken to the hospital in critical condition.
UFC 153 weigh-in results: Anderson Silva (202), Stephan Bonnar (205) set for main event
MAIN CARD (Pay-per-view, 10 p.m. ET) -Anderson Silva (202) vs. Stephan Bonnar (205) -Dave Herman (244) vs. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (243) -Fabio Maldonado (203) vs. Glover Teixeira (204) -Jon Fitch (170) vs. Erick Silva (169) -Phil Davis (206) vs. Wagner Prado (204) -Demian Maia (170) vs. Rick Story (170) PRELIMINARY CARD (FX, 8 p.m. ET) -Rony "Jason" Mariano Bezerra (145) vs. Sam Sicilia (146) -Gleison Tibau (155) vs. Francisco Trinaldo (154) -Diego Brandao (144) vs. Joey Gambino (146) -Renee Forte (169) vs. Sergio Moraes (169) PRELIMINARY CARD (Facebook, 7 p.m. ET) -Chris Camozzi (185) vs. Luiz Cane (184) -Reza Madadi (155) vs. Cristiano Marcello (155)
UFC's Jake Shields says he's suspended six months for banned substance
The Colorado Department of Regulatory Agencies' Boxing Commission has issued UFC fighter Jake Shields a six-month suspension for using a prohibited substance prior to his fight at UFC 150, the fighter today announced. Shields' reps at Authentic Sports Management emailed MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) a prepared statement from the fighter. In it, Shields acknowledges to using a banned substance and accepting the commission's half-year suspension. However, he didn't reveal what the substance was, and the commission hasn't specified what was detected in his post-fight drug test.A source told MMAjunkie.com the Association of Boxing Commissions' database currently doesn't list any information about Shields' failed test, though it'll likely be added soon...
Strikeforce cancels Nov. 3 event in Oklahoma City, plans January return
Strikeforce has canceled its Nov. 3 event in Oklahoma City, the organization today announced. Injuries to headliner Frank Mir, as well as co-headliner and middleweight champion Luke Rockhold, prompted the cancellation, officials stated in today's release. While rumors of the organization's potential demise have swirled in recent weeks, Strikeforce and Showtime officials stated they plan to host the next Strikeforce event in January at a location to be announced. However, officials said the card will be "stacked," and details will be announced in the coming days.
Jon Jones interested in a potential fight with Chael Sonnen
Perhaps we'll get that Jon Jones-Chael Sonnen fight after all. As any mixed martial arts fan who hasn't been living under a rock the past few months could tell you, Jones, the UFC light heavyweight champion, refused Sonnen as a short-notice replacement opponent at UFC 151 after his scheduled challenger, Dan Henderson, dropped out due to a knee injury. In the aftermath of Jones' decision, UFC president Dana White pulled the plug on the Sept. 1 event, the first fight-card cancelation in Zuffa history. But on Thursday night, Jones sent out a hint on Twitter that he's coming around on the notion of fighting the mouthy former middleweight. "The more I realize how bad the fans want me to fight Sonnen the more I am beginning to disregard whether he deserves it or not," Jones tweeted out to his nearly 483,000 followers.
Dave Herman: I’m Going to Submit ‘Minotauro’ in Round 2